Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 558 Old 08-07-2010, 07:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Shaffer View Post

I tried reinstalling the 2.09 firmware today, and it still downmixes all audio to 2-channel LPCM (at least over HDMI, I haven't tried any other outputs). So I went back, again, to version 2.0.

I'm having the same issue with the 2.0 firmware. Everything over HDMI is downmixed to 2.0 stereo. I get Dolby Digital and DTS only over optical out, but then none of my videos with 2.0 audio tracks have any sound (I have to manually change to HDMI raw). What is going on?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 558 Old 08-15-2010, 02:34 AM

I have had the HV335T for 3 months now and everything works good, but streaming any HD format. It will play everything off my external HDD, but streaming only basic formats like avi, mpeg, and wmv. Any mkv or mp4 file will not show up, not even the folder it is in will show up!
post #93 of 558 Old 09-14-2010, 04:51 PM

Has anyone had a problem with getting an internal HDD to be detected? I've initialized and formatted the drive in windows and it's working correctly. When installed in my HV355t it isn't detected by the device. The drive is a 2.0TB WD (WD20EARS). Any help would be appreciated.
post #94 of 558 Old 09-14-2010, 05:37 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Check their FAQ here. There is some info about initializing your HD and also some info regarding some WD drives that might help.
post #95 of 558 Old 10-14-2010, 06:48 AM

Looking at the HV335T and another brand.

I need to know whether this player plays Divx specifically; not just Xvid.

Some manufactures make it a point to list Divx specifically, but this doesn't - and I need to know if this plays Divx and not just Xvids.
post #96 of 558 Old 10-14-2010, 04:52 PM

It plays both and just about any video file format you can throw at it.
post #97 of 558 Old 10-15-2010, 06:26 PM

Hi folks,
Well, I've just taken delivery of this intriguing little device, but .... first observation is that the video quality is not quite as impressive/sharp as is my DVP5590K, which is a very cheap Philips upscaling dvd player with a hi-speed usb socket on the front.
So - am I right in suspecting this Argosy HV335T does not upscale, and that is why the video appears flatter?

Also, it appears that to optimise for playback, you have to go out to Setup/Video/Video System/ and choose an option each time the parameters of the source material change.
post #98 of 558 Old 10-17-2010, 11:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I purchased the HV335T for just one purpose: Playing downloaded movie trailers before watching the evening's primary movie. It works well for that, and I like that it plays all the trailers in a folder one after another.

There are a couple of oddities I've noticed, though:
  1. It doesn't seem to remember network settings. Every time I turn it on, I've got to go to the network options and enable DHCP or enter the manual settings. I was hoping that once the manual settings were saved it would remember them. I'm not using a hard drive with the player, so maybe that's the problem.
  2. I'm using an HDMI cable for video, and an optical cable for audio. If I watch via my HDTV, SPIDF RAW works with the optical connection. If I switch to my projector, I have to go into the settings and change the audio output to SPDIF LPCM or nothing is output. Seems strange.
I'm using the latest firmware, and didn't do much testing with the earlier versions, so I don't know if that has had any impact.

All in all, I'm happy with the unit, and looking forward to firmware updates that may add functionality and stability. One thing I wish it would do is act as a Windows Media Center extender. It's much quieter than an Xbox, and I've got a bunch of recorded shows to catch up on.

Scott

post #99 of 558 Old 10-19-2010, 11:38 AM

post #100 of 558 Old 10-20-2010, 10:36 PM

I haven't yet networked my box. Any reports on the metafeeds option on the mod'd 2.1..??
post #101 of 558 Old 10-22-2010, 11:29 AM

It's on page 5 o 6 I guess
post #102 of 558 Old 10-26-2010, 05:31 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by srw1000 View Post

It doesn't seem to remember network settings. Every time I turn it on, I've got to go to the network options and enable DHCP or enter the manual settings. I was hoping that once the manual settings were saved it would remember them. I'm not using a hard drive with the player, so maybe that's the problem.

That's the second time I've seen someone say it forgets the network settings, but mine hasn't -- and I'm not using a hard drive. I've seen people say that it forgets the settings if you power it down completely, i.e. pull the plug, and I think mine does do that.

Quote:

All in all, I'm happy with the unit, and looking forward to firmware updates that may add functionality and stability. One thing I wish it would do is act as a Windows Media Center extender. It's much quieter than an Xbox, and I've got a bunch of recorded shows to catch up on.

I don't do Windows Media Center, so enlighten me -- what's the difference between being a Media Center Extender and being a UPNP client? I've used mine semi-successfully as a UPNP client with TVersity. I say semi-successfully because TVersity seems to want to re-encode things that the Argosy should play native, and my computer is a bit slow on the re-encoding.
post #103 of 558 Old 10-26-2010, 06:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That's the second time I've seen someone say it forgets the network settings, but mine hasn't -- and I'm not using a hard drive. I've seen people say that it forgets the settings if you power it down completely, i.e. pull the plug, and I think mine does do that.

Interesting. Mine loses it's settings just by turning it off, without unplugging. Which firmware are you running? Are you using the built in ethernet or wireless? How about DHCP - automatic or manual?

Quote:

I don't do Windows Media Center, so enlighten me -- what's the difference between being a Media Center Extender and being a UPNP client? I've used mine semi-successfully as a UPNP client with TVersity. I say semi-successfully because TVersity seems to want to re-encode things that the Argosy should play native, and my computer is a bit slow on the re-encoding.

Media Center uses a proprietary file format, so you need to use a compatible client to play the files. I had been using my Xbox for that, but it just broke (no video), so I've got recorded shows building up.

What I like about the 335, is that the thing is silent. The same can't be said about the Xbox. I'm sure that there's some kind of fee involved in order to qualify as a Media Center client, so we probably won't ever see this supported.

Scott

post #104 of 558 Old 10-27-2010, 12:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

Interesting. Mine loses it's settings just by turning it off, without unplugging. Which firmware are you running? Are you using the built in ethernet or wireless? How about DHCP - automatic or manual?

I'm using 2.1, but I don't think I've ever had a problem with any version of the firmware. I'm using wireless, automatic/DHCP.
post #105 of 558 Old 10-27-2010, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm using 2.1, but I don't think I've ever had a problem with any version of the firmware. I'm using wireless, automatic/DHCP.

2.1? I thought the latest firmware was the 2.09 beta.

post #106 of 558 Old 10-27-2010, 08:37 PM

How do you power it down (completely) using the blue light button? Is it even possible? I don't want to damage it by pressing too much. Is it supposed to stay on like that?
post #107 of 558 Old 10-27-2010, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chili99 View Post

How do you power it down (completely) using the blue light button? Is it even possible? I don't want to damage it by pressing too much. Is it supposed to stay on like that?

Sadly, the only way to get rid of the obnoxious blue light it to unplug the power cord from the back. Or cover it in electrical tape (I'm leaning toward this fix).

Scott

post #108 of 558 Old 10-27-2010, 09:12 PM

Quote:

Sadly, the only way to get rid of the obnoxious blue light it to unplug the power cord from the back. Or cover it in electrical tape (I'm leaning toward this fix).

Scott

Thanks, Scott. Should anything happen if you're pressing the blue light switch while it's in standby or working? Kids like pressing shiny buttons.

If I understood correctly, to turn it on/off (or suspend) just press the power button on the remote and that's it? The blue light stays on all the time, but does pressing it do something? Is the sole purpose of the button to turn the unit on after it's been unplugged? It's a silly question, but it's a silly setup. Is it safe to unplug it continually from the wall? The cord is flimsy and I'd probably use the power strip.
post #109 of 558 Old 10-27-2010, 09:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks, Scott. Should anything happen if you're pressing the blue light switch while it's in standby or working? Kids like pressing shiny buttons.

If I understood correctly, to turn it on/off (or suspend) just press the power button on the remote and that's it? The blue light stays on all the time, but does pressing it do something? Is the sole purpose of the button to turn the unit on after it's been unplugged? It's a silly question, but it's a silly setup. Is it safe to unplug it continually from the wall? The cord is flimsy and I'd probably use the power strip.

Sorry, my error. My previous post is wrong. You can turn it off with the front blue button - just hold it down for a few seconds, it should flash and then turn off.

You can't turn it back on with the remote if the blue light is off, though. You have to manually turn on the unit with the blue light first, and then turn it on with the remote. There's a red light on the bottom right of the unit that should turn on when it's actually operational, but mine only works occasionally.

You're right, it is a silly setup.

Scott

post #110 of 558 Old 10-27-2010, 09:27 PM

Quote:

Sorry, my error. My previous post is wrong. You can turn it off with the front blue button - just hold it down for a few seconds, it should flash and then turn off.

You can't turn it back on with the remote if the blue light is off, though. You have to manually turn on the unit with the blue light first, and then turn it on with the remote. There's a red light on the bottom right of the unit that should turn on when it's actually operational, but mine only works occasionally.

You're right, it is a silly setup.

Scott

Thanks, I was suspecting it, but it's great to receive a confirmation. A booklet would have been nice instead of the pdf, but let's be green etc.

One observation: the sound seems pretty weak, connected directly to the TV and in the settings you can go only up to 30. Have you or anyone else noticed this? Picture quality is great once you change the default 480p - I suspect some of the complaints come from this issue. I am willing to ignore most shortcomings since the machine seems to play video ts folders beautifully.
post #111 of 558 Old 10-27-2010, 09:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

One observation: the sound seems pretty weak, connected directly to the TV and in the settings you can go only up to 30. Have you or anyone else noticed this?

I've got the optical output hooked up to my pre/pro, and I haven't noticed any sound problems, other than what I listed in my earlier post.

Quote:

Picture quality is great once you change the default 480p - I suspect some of the complaints come from this issue. I am willing to ignore most shortcomings since the machine seems to play video ts folders beautifully.

Video looks fine to me also, but I'm only using it to play downloaded movie trailers, and they're not always of the highest quality. Some day I hope to add other kinds of content.

Scott

post #112 of 558 Old 10-28-2010, 03:22 AM

Quote:

2.1? I thought the latest firmware was the 2.09 beta.

I would like to know where to get 2.1 also.
I have 2.9 beta and have various issues with it.

2.09 "beta" has been out for a long time, and nothing has been updated on that page. I wonder if they have given up updating the product?

I saw the link to the modded firmware, mentioning 2.1 but I am wary of unknown programmers and what they may put in the firmware.
post #113 of 558 Old 10-28-2010, 02:32 PM

I believe two different firmwares come from two different Argosy websites. v 2.09 is beta for the US. Higher versions are Taiwanese, I believe.
post #114 of 558 Old 10-28-2010, 02:39 PM

Argosy should be coming soon with HV339T which features twin tuners.
post #115 of 558 Old 10-28-2010, 08:53 PM

Hey Guys.

New AVS member here.

Came looking for some Firmware mods /etc for the HVT335t.

Just wanted to pass along (sorry if it's already been noted) that the Facebook page for Argosy tends to have links to newer firmware before they post it on their website.

**as I'm a new member, apparently I can't post the link to the Firmware discussion on the Argosy facebook page. You can find it easy enough I suppose.

I'm looking forward to any improvements that are made to this product. I like what it can do, I'd just love to see a bit more polish, stability, and added features are always welcome.
post #116 of 558 Old 10-29-2010, 02:24 AM

I found a link to 2.1 on Facebook
Go there and search for "Argosy-Media-Players"
You will find it in there under discussions.
I have not tried to install it yet.
post #117 of 558 Old 10-29-2010, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfZo View Post

I found a link to 2.1 on Facebook
Go there and search for "Argosy-Media-Players"
You will find it in there under discussions.
I have not tried to install it yet.

Yeah, make sure you go towards the end of the discussion to get the latest versions.

It's not the most efficient way to handle this sort of thing, IMO.

I'm using the latest version they have there and it seems relatively stable.

My current issues are as follows:
  1. The Web interface doesn't properly display the items it's supposed to. It doesn't show storage data and often struggles with BT info.
  2. Large network file transfers regularly cause lock-ups for me. I cannot bulk send a bunch of files (some large BD rips) without it locking up before the transfer is complete (I often just want to queue a bunch up to transfer over night since it's so SLOW via network). This then requires me to unplug the device and plug it back in.
  3. I'd be a fan of box art for music and movies.
  4. For some reason, subtitles start on for some movies and not others. I'm not sure if this has to do with the movie file itself or a something in the HV335t
  5. Again, the slow network performance is a killer for me. It takes me as long to transfer certain movies as it does to rip them. I'm not sure if firmware tweaks can help this or not. Using USB is hardly an option for a device that touts wireless capabilities. For me, my PC is often a long way from my HV335T, so running a USB cable is a huge pain.
  6. The BT options seem way too limited. I'd like port options, directory options, etc.
  7. The BT status messages are often wrong/broke. It's frustrating to have 25GB of a 32GB download complete only to have it stop and not explain why. Is the torrent just down? Is it corrupt somewhere? The Transfer status will say "started" or "working" but it'll show 0% and a 0 rate. 0% despite it already having downloaded 78% of it the last time I checked.

Those are most of my issues. I've heard others complain about issues with navigating MP3s but since I don't use MP3s on it much, I can't vouch for them.

Theme/graphical interface options would be nice, but is fairly low on my list of desires here.

The Blue Light things sucks ( I think we all agree here) but I'm not too hopeful that a software tweak can fix that. Even a dimmer would be welcome. I don't want to just tape over it if I don't have to. Some light is good. Tape looks crappy.

Integration with anything like IMDB, Rotten Tomatoes, Flixster, Netflix, etc would be awesome. I'd like to be able to browse my movie collection in a bit more visually aesthetic manor. Plus, it'd be very helpful when showing my collection to someone not familiar with some of the movies as they could see boxart and a brief description/tagline.

Full-fledged Netflix integration would be awesome, but I'm not holding my breath for that.
post #118 of 558 Old 11-01-2010, 03:09 AM

There are issues with Digital Dolby and DTS when using RAW with 2.1

Some Xvids will not play. Level 3's I believe.

I think they are still working on the "2.1" release, that i s why it is not on the main site yet.

There is also a custom firmware based off the newer 2.1 (there are two releases of 2.1 - both buggy) that includes "metafeed". Can't remember the weboste for the custom.
post #119 of 558 Old 11-05-2010, 09:37 PM

I posted before asking for help about streaming hd content to the media player. Everything plays fine from external hard drive but only streams avi's, mpeg's, and wmv's, no hd formats (mkv. or mp4.) does anybody else have this problem?
post #120 of 558 Old 11-06-2010, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknezzzz View Post

I posted before asking for help about streaming hd content to the media player. Everything plays fine from external hard drive but only streams avi's, mpeg's, and wmv's, no hd formats (mkv. or mp4.) does anybody else have this problem?

I confirm to you that I have played both .mp4's & .mkv's off my HV335T. I am on firmware version 2.1

Cheers!
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Argosy , Western Digital Wd Tv Live Streaming Media Player

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page