Argosy HV335T - Anyone know anything? - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #181 of 557 Old 02-05-2011, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jsmiddleton4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Glendale, AZ
Posts: 3,246
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 24
"the clunky user interface which currently offers less functionality and is behind other boxes on the market."

I'll take stability and versatile playback over an interface any day.

Who cares if other boxes have prettier menus? I mean really. Who cares?

The 335T works and its simple.

E.B. White said, "I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day."
jsmiddleton4 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #182 of 557 Old 02-05-2011, 09:59 PM
Member
 
joe citizen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 65
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmiddleton4 View Post

"the clunky user interface which currently offers less functionality and is behind other boxes on the market."

I'll take stability and versatile playback over an interface any day.

Who cares if other boxes have prettier menus? I mean really. Who cares?

The 335T works and its simple.

Lots of people care because its sub-par. Its not just making it prettier, its added functionality and ease of use. Look at the comments from Newegg. One of the biggest complaints is the user interface. If you're happy with the way it is now thats fine. Nobody would force you to change a thing. You could keep it the way you have it. The real question should be why do you care so much about other users suggesting improvements to the interface on the HV335T? I mean really why complain about that?

And this suggestion as if users have to give up stability for a better UI, it's nonsense. It doesn't have to be one or another. Other boxes work just as well as the HV335T and have more functionality in their UIs. There is no reason the Argosy couldn't as well. In fact you can crossflash firmware to the Argosy and it runs ok with things like video walls now so obviously Argosy could do it with their own firmware. "I'll take stability and versatile playback over an interface any day" is a weak justification for Arogsy not to improve firmware. Again even if Argosy came out with a new firmware that improved the UI but you didnt like it, you wouldnt have to use it. You can keep using the current version you think is great. No reason to complain about people offering suggestions to improve the HV335T.
joe citizen is offline  
post #183 of 557 Old 02-06-2011, 05:51 AM
AVS Special Member
 
RobLee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: CVG
Posts: 2,025
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Joe, your thoughts are appreciated, so please don't get me wrong on that... but so far your only suggestion
if I'm not mistaken is to add background images, and many others among us feel that wouldn't really add much.
A screen shot of Prince Caspian isn't going to help anyone know what an entry named Prince Caspian is.
Once we have navigated to a name, it might be nice to press an info button and see some details such as format and runtime but I for one can live without that.

Just because we may be content without screen shots doesn't mean we are unwilling to upgrade the firmware when newer versions are released, but we are also unlikely to flash our units with cross platform hacks... usually due to remote control incompatibilities. My primary gripes with the unit are the necessity to rename files just so they'll show up if they are essentially identical, and I'd welcome any improvement in navigation...
for example, a shortcut to the SETUP menu without having to scroll all the way back out of a folder list.
I have a couple issues with playback and with networking but they are minor and frankly I don't have one piece of tech gear without a few quirks.

Polk RtiA9's, Denon 3312ci & Emo XPA-5 amp, CsiA6, RtiA7 surrounds, FxiA6 rears, twin Klipsch Synergy Sub-12's, DSW660 & Lsi9's upstairs
RobLee is offline  
post #184 of 557 Old 02-07-2011, 01:44 PM
Member
 
GeorgeJungle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Joe, I think you've made your point. I suspect you are arguing with Linux users. If so, they are used to guis created by 4 year olds. No offense, but that's my experience last time I attempted to replace MCE with Myth, ...

Rob, the shortcut exists. It's called the home button on your remote. You still have to scroll down to settings but it's better than backing out of 50 nested folders.

Btw, I just set up my new Argosy upgrading from a non-networked Argosy. The UI is a huge step down and I found this thread trying to pretty it up prior to showing it to the wife. I may try the PBO/Harmony kludge.

The positives of playing everything I've thrown at it better than MCE and 3.5" drive support outweigh the childish, unprofessional and pathetic UI. We'll see if the wife adopts it as "her" new toy...
GeorgeJungle is offline  
post #185 of 557 Old 02-07-2011, 03:33 PM
Member
 
joe citizen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 65
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLee View Post

but so far your only suggestion if I'm not mistaken is to add background images, and many others among us feel that wouldn't really add much.
A screen shot of Prince Caspian isn't going to help anyone know what an entry named Prince Caspian is.

You are missing a key point. It isn't just a screen shot of Prince Caspian. You are arguing against a topic when you misunderstand what I am suggesting. The background jpg I suggested includes the description of the movie, the length, the rating and all the other stuff you see. Its not just the screen shot of Prince Caspian. Basically, the only thing not part of the background jpg in the screen shot example I gave would be the names of the movies users would scroll through. Everything else including movie description is done through a single background jpeg. When you go from one movie to another it pulls up the jpg from that particular movie that gives the description and all the other stuff. So if you don't know what an entry is that is named Price Caspian for example, all you have to do is scroll down the list to Prince Caspian and all that info is displayed on the screen through use of the background jpg. For wives and grandparents and everyone else, it makes the movie section much more functional and easy to use because you can go down the list of movies and read what each movie is about as well as having a visual picture of each movie.

And enabling background jpgs isn't the only thing I have suggested. I mentioned the new firmware was a nice improvement but the UI was still clunky and could be greatly improved by allowing background jpgs which should be a fairly simple addition to the UI. I also mentioned I contacted Argosy about the subtitle issue and suggested a menu option for that. I think Argosy could improve the firmware in a lot of areas. I think a "boot to" menu option would be helpful as well. If you used your HV335T only for movies, it would be nice to be able to boot directly to that. There are several areas that could be improved in new firmware.



Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLee View Post

Once we have navigated to a name, it might be nice to press an info button and see some details such as format and runtime but I for one can live without that.

As pointed out above, most of that info could already be displayed from the background jpg in the current list view. However the UI could be further enhanced by giving even more detailed info with another jpg that would be displayed when you press the info button. That would be another one of my suggestions but I didnt really want to get into a debate suggesting adding two jpgs to each movie folder



Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLee View Post

Just because we may be content without screen shots doesn't mean we are unwilling to upgrade the firmware when newer versions are released, but we are also unlikely to flash our units with cross platform hacks... usually due to remote control incompatibilities.

My point with cross flashing was not that I was suggesting it as an option because its definitely not an ideal solution. My point was the HV335T has the ability right now to run video walls and a more robust UI with firmware patched for another system. If it can run video walls on non official firmware it surely could run a robust UI with official Argosy firmware. If a better UI never comes about from Argosy its because Argosy does not want to put the effort into it, not because the HV335T cant handle it. That was my point regarding cross flashing and video walls on the Argosy.
joe citizen is offline  
post #186 of 557 Old 02-08-2011, 09:01 AM
Newbie
 
dud3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi ,i just buy argosy 335-t media player and i dont know how to instal or setup BT ,a hdd 250 gb its instaled but i dont know to setup BT client.Please help me !
dud3 is offline  
post #187 of 557 Old 02-08-2011, 09:58 AM
Member
 
GeorgeJungle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Dud3, Turn on your Argosy, make sure BT is turned on in Setup, From your pc: Type the ip address assigned to your Argosy in a web browser, login (admin is default user and password), and the BT configure screen appears. Go to BT Download and there you can start, stop, ... torrent files you've downloaded to your pc. HTH.

Note: It took my Argosy a while to have a status of "Operating" on the configure screen. I'm not sure if a few reboots or what got it sorted out. But I started a torrent which stalled for quite a while and then it just worked...
GeorgeJungle is offline  
post #188 of 557 Old 02-08-2011, 03:52 PM
Newbie
 
monroville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys,

I was wondering if any of you have been having any experiences with similar problems I am running into:

(1) it may be the Western Digital 5600 RPS 2 TB hard drive I installed, but it seems that with the new v2.3 firmware, the OS "pings" the hard drive anywhere from 1 to every 5 minutes during a movie playback. While watching, the movie will stop for a second, the hard drive will do a "symbol crash (like its playing drums)" and then continue, which leads to:

(2) subtitle failure. When the movie stops and then restarts, if I am watching a foreign film with subs, the OS looses track of the subtitles for a bit, leaving a good 10 to 30 second period of time where people are speaking and no subtitles are appearing.

Also, the player seems to pick and choose when it wants to access subs, as the new v2.3 firmware seems to add ASS subtitle support (which is a good thing). The problem is, it seems to go off and on every other day. I have an MKV of BATTLE ROYALE... when I downloaded it to the Argosy and then tested it on my 65" Toshiba, it worked fine... subs were in synch, and were playing per the settings in the ASS file. Now the subs won't play at all.

Similar issues with other MKVs with ASS subs.. the "default" setting kicks in, and the ASS settings are ignored.

You think it would be too much to ask the Argosy Tech Team to create an extra line in the SETTINGS area to include manual control of the subtitle settings, to at least have some basic control over the default sub settings (such as font size, maybe a few fonts to choose from, the addition of adding an outline or shadow to subs, etc)?


Also, did anyone figure out which non-Argosy firmwares can be used, much less which ones that would allow for creating a "desktop image" for the GUI background?
monroville is offline  
post #189 of 557 Old 02-08-2011, 05:37 PM
Member
 
joe citizen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 65
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by monroville View Post

Hey guys,

I was wondering if any of you have been having any experiences with similar problems I am running into:

(1) it may be the Western Digital 5600 RPS 2 TB hard drive I installed, but it seems that with the new v2.3 firmware, the OS "pings" the hard drive anywhere from 1 to every 5 minutes during a movie playback. While watching, the movie will stop for a second, the hard drive will do a "symbol crash (like its playing drums)" and then continue, which leads to...

The HV335T is known to have some problems with a few of the Western Digital drives. It might be your drive isn't compatible. The Argosy FAQ has a small compatibility chart a little more than halfway down the FAQ. Maybe this might help. *Compatibility* You might also try to update your hard drives firmware and that may help but I think by doing this you erase all info on you hard drive so that is something to consider.



Quote:
Originally Posted by monroville View Post

Hey guys,
(2) subtitle failure. When the movie stops and then restarts, if I am watching a foreign film with subs, the OS looses track of the subtitles for a bit, leaving a good 10 to 30 second period of time where people are speaking and no subtitles are appearing.

Also, the player seems to pick and choose when it wants to access subs, as the new v2.3 firmware seems to add ASS subtitle support (which is a good thing). The problem is, it seems to go off and on every other day. I have an MKV of BATTLE ROYALE... when I downloaded it to the Argosy and then tested it on my 65" Toshiba, it worked fine... subs were in synch, and were playing per the settings in the ASS file. Now the subs won't play at all.

Some users have complained about the way the HV335T handles subtitles. I would guess this is probably another issue that goes hand in hand




Quote:
Originally Posted by monroville View Post

Also, did anyone figure out which non-Argosy firmwares can be used, much less which ones that would allow for creating a "desktop image" for the GUI background?

Patched firmware from Mede8er, Playon!HD, TVIX and O!play will all work on the HV335T but you would need a remote like one of the Harmony remotes that could be easily programed by an online database to control the HV335T. I would not recommend anyone try TVIX or O!play because you would need a CA-42 cable and soldering skills to revert back to original Argosy firmware. That leaves patched Mede8er and Playon!HD firmware with Mede8er probably being your best bet. Graphically both UI's are better than Argosy's but both could use some more work themselves. Still the UIs are an improvement. Its not an ideal nor perfect solution but it can show you what the HV335T is capable of.
joe citizen is offline  
post #190 of 557 Old 02-09-2011, 08:54 AM
Newbie
 
dud3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Tutorial work ty again george
dud3 is offline  
post #191 of 557 Old 02-10-2011, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jsmiddleton4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Glendale, AZ
Posts: 3,246
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 24
"Lots of people care because its sub-par."

How is it "sub-par"? Does it work and does the menu get the job done? Why yes it does. That is not "sub-par". Is there something the Argosy advertises it does and it does not in terms of the menu? Why no. It works as it is advertised to work.

Because its menu is not as you wish that does not make any aspect of it "sub par". You are mixing apples and oranges.

E.B. White said, "I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day."
jsmiddleton4 is offline  
post #192 of 557 Old 02-11-2011, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member
 
RobLee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: CVG
Posts: 2,025
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmiddleton4 View Post

"Lots of people care because its sub-par."
Because its menu is not as you wish that does not make any aspect of it "sub par".

I've tried to conclude each of my posts on this topic with a "different strokes" type of ending. Everyone has different tastes and their own personal preferences are usually reflected in all aspects of their lives, from their manner of dress to the type of vehicle they drive. I'd say that those who emphasize form over function will be impressed by window dressing and symbolic icons, while others prefer bare bones functionality.

While there may be some perceived improvement in functionality to some, for example identifying a movie by a screen shot, others would prefer just to get to the bottom line and watch the movie. Just as plasma folks aren't going to talk me out of buying an LCD any more than they could talk me into buying a Mac or an SUV, I'm likely not going to cause them to change their ways either. For some, simplicity is bliss, to others it's boredom. To each his own.

Polk RtiA9's, Denon 3312ci & Emo XPA-5 amp, CsiA6, RtiA7 surrounds, FxiA6 rears, twin Klipsch Synergy Sub-12's, DSW660 & Lsi9's upstairs
RobLee is offline  
post #193 of 557 Old 02-12-2011, 09:32 AM
Member
 
joe citizen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 65
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmiddleton4 View Post

"Lots of people care because its sub-par."

How is it "sub-par"? Does it work and does the menu get the job done? Why yes it does. That is not "sub-par".

Just because something works doesn't mean it's not sub par.
joe citizen is offline  
post #194 of 557 Old 02-12-2011, 04:52 PM
Senior Member
 
Jim Shaffer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 440
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
New firmware, V2.33 (Beta) on argosyusa.com (but not on argosy.tw)

The release notes say:

1. Added YouTube, MediaFly, LastFM, Internet Rasio (sic) support under IMS menu
2. Improved Weather, Internet Video (added asf) support under IMS menu
3. Supported mkv files with compressed header

The additional Internet services work great. I don't know what's supposed to be improved about the weather though, it still offers the useless selection of just a few cities that it always did. The mkv fix works on everything I've tried so far.

Now a couple of complaints. First, in version 2.3, they added fast-forward and rewind to music playing. I just got around to trying it with this latest version, and at first I thought it didn't work. Then I discovered that you have to HOLD DOWN the buttons. I could deal with that, but, you only have the progress bar to indicate where you are. The time display under the progress bar doesn't update!

Second, I haven't been able to test playing of .url files under this version. Why? Because I don't have an internal HD. Under the previous versions, you could play a .url file from a network share. It wouldn't appear under the IMS>Internet TV menu, of course, but you could select it and play it from the normal file selection screens. Now, if you try it, it says "Please go to IMS" Why? Why change something that was working fine? The .url file even still shows its proper icon as it did before.
Jim Shaffer is offline  
post #195 of 557 Old 02-12-2011, 07:30 PM
Member
 
joe citizen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 65
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Some nice additions with this firmware. I hope they continue to improve it.
joe citizen is offline  
post #196 of 557 Old 02-12-2011, 08:00 PM
Member
 
joe citizen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 65
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Shaffer View Post

I don't know what's supposed to be improved about the weather though, it still offers the useless selection of just a few cities that it always did.

You can put in a zip code and bring up different cities but the way Argosy has it set up most people probably arent aware of this. When you go to the US push your up button and that will give you a zip code box where you can then enter a zip code for whatever city you want. Its not designed very well but it is there. Also, there is no way to save your selected city or cities which is another drawback.
joe citizen is offline  
post #197 of 557 Old 02-13-2011, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jsmiddleton4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Glendale, AZ
Posts: 3,246
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 24
"Just because something works doesn't mean it's not sub par."

When it doesn't work as advertised it is sub-par. When it works as advertised it is not sub-par. The Argosy 335T works as advertised and therefore is not sub-par.

If you want prettier or if you want new features you don't first have to bash the product and label it as sub-par to attempt to get what you want. Again you are mixing apples and oranges.

I hope you get everything you want added to the Argosy 355T. Wanting additions does not make the unit as is sub-par.

E.B. White said, "I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day."
jsmiddleton4 is offline  
post #198 of 557 Old 02-13-2011, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jsmiddleton4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Glendale, AZ
Posts: 3,246
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 24
"Why change something that was working fine?"

Well lets remember it is a beta. While I am not sure in this instance it is not uncommon for code writers for stuff like firmware when adding features to eliminate as many variables as they can so bug reports, testing, etc., is focused on the "new" pieces of code. Could be nothing more than a good beta testing process.

E.B. White said, "I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day."
jsmiddleton4 is offline  
post #199 of 557 Old 02-13-2011, 06:58 AM
Member
 
WizardOfZo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 166
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
New firmware works great for me.
Sure could use a keyboard to make entries, wonder if it has USB keyboard compatibility?
WizardOfZo is offline  
post #200 of 557 Old 02-13-2011, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jsmiddleton4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Glendale, AZ
Posts: 3,246
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 24
If a USB keyboard worked that would be great. I don't have one to try.

E.B. White said, "I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day."
jsmiddleton4 is offline  
post #201 of 557 Old 02-15-2011, 03:13 PM
Newbie
 
FireAtWill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anyone tried playing WMV files on the HV335T that have 5.1 WMA audio? Is this audio format supported. I am noticing that the 5.1 audio is gtting downmixed to 2 channels. Can someone please confirm?
FireAtWill is offline  
post #202 of 557 Old 02-15-2011, 06:32 PM
Member
 
joe citizen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 65
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmiddleton4 View Post

"Just because something works doesn't mean it's not sub par."

When it doesn't work as advertised it is sub-par. When it works as advertised it is not sub-par. The Argosy 335T works as advertised and therefore is not sub-par.

So when did they advertise this unit comes with a sub-par UI?




Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmiddleton4 View Post

If you want prettier or if you want new features you don't first have to bash the product and label it as sub-par to attempt to get what you want. Again you are mixing apples and oranges.

No, It has nothing to do with apples and oranges. If a UI is sub par it is sub par regardless. Using your logic, Argosy could make people use command line for various functions. You could turn around and use the excuse people shouldn't expect a better UI than one that uses command line because it functions and works. No one was promised a better UI. In the end regardless of those excuses it still wouldn't change the fact the UI was sub par, working or not. Ive got people at my job that work. It doesnt mean their work is not sub par just because they work.

In any event I will ask again why are you so worked up about suggested improvements to the HV335T? especially when there are lots of users out there saying the same thing about the UI not being very good. Its not like suggested improvement to the HV335T has any negative effect on you. Why complain about it.
joe citizen is offline  
post #203 of 557 Old 02-15-2011, 06:41 PM
Member
 
GeorgeJungle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Knowing I shouldn't waste my breath...

It's sub par because this isn't 1995. I clung, clang I suppose, to my CLIs and simple menu structures back then too. I'm over that. We live in a content rich world now where system resources aren't scarce. I'd even be willing to host the couple megs of data on the 2TB drive I put in it.

It's sub par because the competition, running virtually the same hw, has something far richer.

It's sub par because the boot screen would be prettier if it were blank vs. a 4 year old's "sketch".

An AM/PM hamburger is technically food as advertised. It's also sub par.

Now go cash your paycheck from Argosy and post away because that's what you do.

Note: The wife adopted it as hers immediately... She also drooled when I showed her the content rich alternative.
GeorgeJungle is offline  
post #204 of 557 Old 02-16-2011, 04:59 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jsmiddleton4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Glendale, AZ
Posts: 3,246
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 24
"If a UI is sub par it is sub par regardless"

There is nothing sub-par about it. The product tests against itself and its advertised features. Not against what you suppose it should be because it isn't 1995 or what you imagine other products may or may not be able to do.

If you wanted a product that does all the things you want, you should have bought one that does. If the Argosy advertised it would do those thing, then yep, its sub-par. It did not. It does exactly what it says it will do. Which is why its a great product. Not sub-par in any way. Perfectly priced, great performance for what it is.

Its like you guys bought a car with crank windows instead of power windows and start bitching because your car is "sub-par" as every other car out there and in today's car world power windows are the standard.

If you want all the bells and whistles and all pretty like, buy a product that does what you want. The Argosy does what it says it will do, does it well.

E.B. White said, "I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day."
jsmiddleton4 is offline  
post #205 of 557 Old 02-16-2011, 01:31 PM
Member
 
GeorgeJungle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
You're right. We should not expect Linux developers to ever develop past 1995 standards. Those days were functional enough and I don't need GBs of memory or TBs of diskspace because MBs are more than enough for anybody.

I will continue to use crank windows on my pc and any other gizmo because that's good enough. Standards should never evolve and the Linux community are a bunch of geniuses grabbing market share everywhere I turn. My Argosy is a highly functional, Model T.

I should not be smart enough to setup a local printer in Linux unless I obtain a doctorate. Even though "plug and play" sees the printer, sets it up, creates the queue, accepts jobs, and successfully sends the jobs off to nowhere. Off topic, but same logic M$ is taking to the bank.
GeorgeJungle is offline  
post #206 of 557 Old 02-16-2011, 02:36 PM
Member
 
GeorgeJungle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireAtWill View Post

Has anyone tried playing WMV files on the HV335T that have 5.1 WMA audio? Is this audio format supported. I am noticing that the 5.1 audio is gtting downmixed to 2 channels. Can someone please confirm?

I don't see it in the specs and don't use WMVs or 5.1 for that matter, but a review at newegg states 2 channel audio only. HTH.
GeorgeJungle is offline  
post #207 of 557 Old 02-16-2011, 02:52 PM
Member
 
joe citizen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 65
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmiddleton4 View Post

If you wanted a product that does all the things you want, you should have bought one that does.

Actually I did. I ended up buying a Popcorn Hour A200 for my main TV and the HV335T is now on a secondary TV. Back earlier in the thread I even mentioned users may want look at other boxes that offered better UIs if that was something they were looking for because the Argosy doesn't have it. Personally, if the HV335T would've had a more robust UI I would have bought another one but since it didn't I chose a different media player the second time around.



Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmiddleton4 View Post

Its like you guys bought a car with crank windows instead of power windows and start bitching because your car is "sub-par" as every other car out there and in today's car world power windows are the standard.

Its more like we bought a car with a Ferrari engine and all the other Ferrari components but the car only runs like a Yugo. You can say users were only promised a Yugo performance but that wouldn't change the fact its performance is sub-par given the type of engine/components it has and also sub-par compared to other cars with the same engine and specs. If it runs like a Yugo on a Ferrari engine/components thats sub-par regardless. The performance ability is there. It doesnt run like it though. You can say users were only promised X amount of performance as a justification for not improving the HV335t. I am never going to agree with that. I guess we will just have to agree to disagree.
joe citizen is offline  
post #208 of 557 Old 02-16-2011, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member
 
RobLee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: CVG
Posts: 2,025
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Joe, I can see that you are very knowledgeable not only on this product but also on this entire product line ("media players" in general). Your tips have been helpful, as I basically just push buttons that sound like they'll do what I want. But beyond the helpful tips, this thread has really deteriorated into sarcasm and name calling (not you... thank you for remaining a voice of reason).

Personally I'm not in love with the user interface but it gets the job done. Once the movie starts, how you got there isn't all that important. I have a couple functional problems with this product but they're not show stoppers. I'm glad to see they are adding new functionality in the firmware updates, but god forbid I hope it never comes to a point where I am forced to generate screen shot images or query some free DB for every video I want to store on my Argosy. As I've said before, it simply gets the job done... anything beyond that is window dressing. For those who require an elaborate GUI so that Mom or the kids can work it may be at a loss, but there seems to be quite a few who don't really care how it looks as long as it works.

Polk RtiA9's, Denon 3312ci & Emo XPA-5 amp, CsiA6, RtiA7 surrounds, FxiA6 rears, twin Klipsch Synergy Sub-12's, DSW660 & Lsi9's upstairs
RobLee is offline  
post #209 of 557 Old 02-16-2011, 09:42 PM
Member
 
GeorgeJungle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thank you RobLee for the very delicate slam, and you're welcome for the obvious home button (rtfm).

I see dripping sarcasm, but name calling?! Do Argosy employees object to being called geniuses?! It's pathetic most Linux folk can't unite to provide viable alternatives, which I'd personally like to see.

Please excuse me if I'm not pc relating to facts. Linux could be a player if it weren't for narcissism and the CLI for everyone belief. I'm saying the exact same thing as Joe, Joe is just quite more delicate/articulate. Are you too fragile to hear fact?!

Going with what appears to be a company monopolized PCH distribution is not my style... Kinda like Linux. But as you said, too each his/her own.
GeorgeJungle is offline  
post #210 of 557 Old 02-17-2011, 05:25 AM
AVS Special Member
 
RobLee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: CVG
Posts: 2,025
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Sorry, George... I'm just a cranky old man, and about as un-pc as they come. I do appreciate the tips, but found nothing in the Argosy box in the way of a manual. Assembly and connection was relatively easy, and if it works I rarely ever seek online docs nor even load a provided CD if one is included.

I think Linux is everywhere, isn't it? There have been many variants of Unix and as I understand several layered GUI front ends... not that anything like that would be appropriate here. Personally I still occasionally use a DOS box and some assembly utilities I wrote in the 90's so I see no problem with plain text on a simple background.

Guess I stuck my foot in my mouth again... sorry, I didn't mean to step on anyone's feet. Sometimes "features" are so cumbersome that they make things difficult to use. Who doesn't hate phone menus? My point was if someone wants a graphic interface they can choose another unit. I hope they keep the Argosy as simple as it currently is.

Polk RtiA9's, Denon 3312ci & Emo XPA-5 amp, CsiA6, RtiA7 surrounds, FxiA6 rears, twin Klipsch Synergy Sub-12's, DSW660 & Lsi9's upstairs
RobLee is offline  
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Argosy , Western Digital Wd Tv Live Streaming Media Player

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off