PLEX with HP EX495 or Ready NAS NV+ - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 02-16-2010, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello All

I installed PLEX on my Macbook Pro and started playing around with the features. I love how well it works with netflix and also the way it shows all my movies in ISO format and plays.Now I have decided to order a HP EX 495 server or ReadyNAS NV+ to house all my movies, music and pictures and run as well backups and run squeezebox server.

I am now also placing an order for new mac mini which will be connected to my Processor AV8003 via HDMI cable (both Audio and Video) using Kanex Adapter. I will then run PLEX on this Mac Mini and use it as a media server and also for my wife to do some light video editing and garage band work for her dance performances. I already have an Apple TV and it will either be sold or moved to my secondary system.

My questions to you experts are:

1. How well do you think this system will work?

2. Does PLEX allow me to bitstream DTS?

3. Is there anything else I need to know about this setup?

4. I also have three DishNetwork DVR's in different rooms and is there a way I can record TV Shows on to MacMIni and by pass DVR requirement at least in my main setup?

I have network hardwired and at the Home Theater setup I am having a gigabyte switch feeding to Squeezebox Duet, Apple TV, AV8003, Oppo BD83SE and Dish DVR.

Thanks in advance for all your insights.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 02-16-2010, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rramacha View Post

Hello All

My questions to you experts are:

1. How well do you think this system will work?

You are definitely on the right track. I have been using Plex now for over a year, and have three mac mini's with Plex installed. Couldn't be happier with the setup, and the wife and kids love the ease of use. Mac Mini has plenty of power for 1080P delivery, and has proven to me to be rock solid. The mini will also handle iMovie/Final Cut Express just fine, and Garage Band is OK, but make sure you have at least 4GB of RAM. Upgrading the RAM is not for the faint of heart, but you can find upgrades cheap around, as well as videos on how to install it.

Quote:

2. Does PLEX allow me to bitstream DTS?

Plex supports just about every audio format out there, and will also do AC3/DTS pass-through. The real problem lies in the container and codecs of the content you want to play. If you just rip ISOs, than you're fine. If you are using Handbrake to compress your files, you will have to use a MKV container if you want DTS. Otherwise, you will be forced into AC3 passthrough if you use mp4 (m4v). The good news is that Plex will find the movie/TV info for either format automatically (most of the time ).

Quote:

3. Is there anything else I need to know about this setup?

I would choose the HP over the ReadyNAS if I were you. More flexibility, and HP has really been surprising with the feature set they continue to deliver for their home servers. Plus, you can stream to your iPhone

Another tip is to set up screen sharing with your MacBook Pro on the Plex mac mini so that you can remotely fix problems.

Also, if you like the setup, get a Harmony remote. Plex has great support for them, and you can program them to meet your needs, but they also work great out of the box. One ring, I mean remote, to rule them all!

- MBR -
post #3 of 3 Old 02-17-2010, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks a ton.

I did order a new HP EX495 today. I also have 4GB RAM installed.

I rip ISO's and my house is hardwired with gigabit switches serving different machines on my AV Rack.

I do have Harmony 1000 with IR Blaster programmed. I just have to integrate Plex in to it.

Thanks again.

Cheers
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page