post #271 of 792 Old 09-30-2010, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Sherwood View Post

I would check that they are on the same subnet, and just to be sure I would hard connect the C6500 and the server to the same router/switch to test.

Being on the same subnet is a must... the IP addresses of the devices in question must have the same IP address for the first three octets, like this:
  • TV: 192.168.1.xxx
  • PC: 192.168.1.xxx
  • C6500: 192.168.1.xxx

The final set of number "xxx" will be unique for each device but the number they begin with must all be the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat33 View Post

I thank you for your reply. I'm a relative noob to the wireless stuff, however I set up a wifi network with a SMC8014W-G modem/router. I have the wireless modem wired to my PC (WinXP SP3) with an ethernet cable. My PC and network are on the same subnet but I did notice the ip address of my PC differs from that of the network I created. I figured by creating a network from my pc they would all be interconnected. I've also talked to SMC and went through the firewall dmz settings to add the other ip address but that didn't help. The BD Player detects my network and am able to use the Internet@TV features no problem but the PCSM software on my PC does not detect
the BD player to allow sharing of files. My PC is to far away from the TV (UN46C6300) and BD player to hard wire it thus wanting to go with the wireless connection. Hope this explains my setup better and any help is greatly appreciated.

The sentence I bolded in your reply is contradictory, this is either not true or they are not on the same subnet...

The DMZ has nothing to do with getting PC Share Manager to work, it might help for Internet@TV but from what you said earlier that was already working. Also because the C6500 can use the internet has nothing to do with PC Share Manager, getting out to the internet for Internet@TV is separate from the C6500 talking to your PC.

I may still be able to help, but first give me the complete IP address for each of the 3 devices following the format I listed above.

Al
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 792 Old 09-30-2010, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Anyone know if Samsung do a basic media streamer - i.e. something that does AllShare/Internet@TV without a Blu-ray drive. I want to add streaming capability to a guest room that can link up with PCSM.

From what I researched they don't so entry level is a BD-C5500.

Anyone confirm?

=====================================

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
index on 1st post

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #273 of 792 Old 09-30-2010, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritInVA View Post

Anyone know if Samsung do a basic media streamer - i.e. something that does AllShare/Internet@TV without a Blu-ray drive. I want to add streaming capability to a guest room that can link up with PCSM.

From what I researched they don't so entry level is a BD-C5500.

Anyone confirm?

Assuming you already have aTV for that guest room, the C5500 sounds about right.

Al
post #274 of 792 Old 10-01-2010, 03:27 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Do i need a degree in rocket science to make this work ? i installed the PCSM windows 7 latest version sept 27th for the c5500 bluray player. i dragged 3 folders my pics , my music , and my videos and refreshed the DB. When i go to c5500 it cannot see any folders . i get a popup no items on current device or something to that effect. what am i doing wrong ?
EDIT: i found the problem it was accept device its now working.
post #275 of 792 Old 10-01-2010, 04:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Assuming you already have aTV for that guest room, the C5500 sounds about right.

Yep, thats my thought but a bit overkill on a 15" SD TV that gets used just a few weeks each year.

I see Sony have brought out a media streamer SMP-N100 based on the BDP-S570 minus the Blu-ray drive. Hopefully Samsung will follow up with one.

Anyone know if you can use the Sony players with Samsung PCSM?

index on 1st post

post #276 of 792 Old 10-01-2010, 07:03 AM

Quote:

Being on the same subnet is a must... the IP addresses of the devices in question must have the same IP address for the first three octets, like this:

The final set of number "xxx" will be unique for each device but the number they begin with must all be the same.

The sentence I bolded in your reply is contradictory, this is either not true or they are not on the same subnet...

The DMZ has nothing to do with getting PC Share Manager to work, it might help for Internet@TV but from what you said earlier that was already working. Also because the C6500 can use the internet has nothing to do with PC Share Manager, getting out to the internet for Internet@TV is separate from the C6500 talking to your PC.

I may still be able to help, but first give me the complete IP address for each of the 3 devices following the format I listed above.

Again, I can't thank you enough for taking the time to help me through this. As far as I can tell my PC and C6500 are on the same subnet. Here are my settings as requested:

PC - IP 192.168.0.20
Subnet 255.255.255.0

C6500 -IP 192.168.0.124
Subnet 255.255.255.0

My TV is a UN46C6300 which does not not have wifi capabilities on it's own, thus using the C6500 which does and should allow as per the manual the use of Internet@TV (working) and file sharing through PCSM.

Both the gateway and DNS server settings are also identical on the PC and C6500.
post #277 of 792 Old 10-01-2010, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Again, I can't thank you enough for taking the time to help me through this. As far as I can tell my PC and C6500 are on the same subnet. Here are my settings as requested:

PC - IP 192.168.0.20
Subnet 255.255.255.0

C6500 -IP 192.168.0.124
Subnet 255.255.255.0

My TV is a UN46C6300 which does not not have wifi capabilities on it's own, thus using the C6500 which does and should allow as per the manual the use of Internet@TV (working) and file sharing through PCSM.

Both the gateway and DNS server settings are also identical on the PC and C6500.

The IP addresses for the PC and C6500 are in the same subnet, where did you find this information?

Forget about the mask (255.255.255.0), it is used for a different purpose, leave it set they way it is.

With the C6500 turned on and the PC turned on, start up PCSM and you should see it listed in the Share/Set Device Policy window?

Al
post #278 of 792 Old 10-01-2010, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yep, thats my thought but a bit overkill on a 15" SD TV that gets used just a few weeks each year.

I see Sony have brought out a media streamer SMP-N100 based on the BDP-S570 minus the Blu-ray drive. Hopefully Samsung will follow up with one.

Anyone know if you can use the Sony players with Samsung PCSM?

I was going to suggest media players like those from ASUS, WD and others but they are often priced around $80-100 so a Samsung BD player for around $100 would seem much more straight forward to impliment and serve as a back-up device... all compatible with PCSM.

Al
post #279 of 792 Old 10-01-2010, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I was going to suggest media players like those from ASUS, WD and others but they are often priced around $80-100 so a Samsung BD player for around $100 would seem much more straight forward to impliment and serve as a back-up device... all compatible with PCSM.

Wow - I hadn't noticed they dropped so low - just picked up another BD-C5500 off Amazon for $102.84!!!

Going to put in in the Basement Rec Area area and just move to the Guest Room when its needed.

index on 1st post

post #280 of 792 Old 10-01-2010, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Wow - I hadn't noticed they dropped so low - just picked up another BD-C5500 off Amazon for $102.84!!!

Going to put in in the Basement Rec Area area and just move to the Guest Room when its needed.

Cool, great buy!

Al
post #281 of 792 Old 10-01-2010, 09:31 AM

Quote:

Quote:

The IP addresses for the PC and C6500 are in the same subnet, where did you find this information?

Forget about the mask (255.255.255.0), it is used for a different purpose, leave it set they way it is.

With the C6500 turned on and the PC turned on, start up PCSM and you should see it listed in the Share/Set Device Policy window?

I apologize for my noobness but I thought the subnet and subnet mask were the same thing and because their values were identical that my devices were on the same subnet. How would I go about getting my PC and C6500 on the same subnet? Many thanks again.
post #282 of 792 Old 10-01-2010, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I apologize for my noobness but I thought the subnet and subnet mask were the same thing and because their values were identical that my devices were on the same subnet. How would I go about getting my PC and C6500 on the same subnet? Many thanks again.

They are already on the same subnet.

with a 255.255.255.0 Network Mask anything in range 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.0.254 is within same network.

Have you followed this step?

Quote:

index on 1st post

post #283 of 792 Old 10-01-2010, 12:07 PM

Quote:

with a 255.255.255.0 Network Mask anything in range 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.0.254 is within same network.

I have and that's where the problem arises. When I go into the share option and click on "set device policy" the window is blank. It does not detect my C6500 to allow me to accept it. There are no devices listed in the pane. TV and C6500 both on sitting at the media home screen.
post #284 of 792 Old 10-01-2010, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have and that's where the problem arises. When I go into the share option and click on "set device policy" the window is blank. It does not detect my C6500 to allow me to accept it. There are no devices listed in the pane. TV and C6500 both on sitting at the media home screen.

Just for testing can you connect your Blu-ray player and PC (wired) into the same router/hub and then see if the PCSM SW sees the Blu-ray player?

[EDIT] Also just for test try to disable your Firewall? Also do you have Access Control Enabled?

index on 1st post

post #285 of 792 Old 10-01-2010, 12:57 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Just for testing can you connect your Blu-ray player and PC (wired) into the same router/hub and then see if the PCSM SW sees the Blu-ray player?

[EDIT] Also just for test try to disable your Firewall? Also do you have Access Control Enabled?

I would like to hard wire to check but my PC and router are upstairs (signal still strong tho). I already disabled my anti virus/smart security and have windows firewall turned off too.
post #286 of 792 Old 10-01-2010, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I would like to hard wire to check but my PC and router are upstairs (signal still strong tho). I already disabled my anti virus/smart security and have windows firewall turned off too.

So can you not take the Blu-ray player up to the PC and router? It does not need to be connected to a TV, just needs to be switched on.

Also can you ping the blu-ray player from the PC?

index on 1st post

post #287 of 792 Old 10-02-2010, 06:38 AM

Quote:

So can you not take the Blu-ray player up to the PC and router? It does not need to be connected to a TV, just needs to be switched on.

Also can you ping the blu-ray player from the PC?

Issue resolved! For some reason by completely shutting down my smart security, as I did right from the beginning figuring there may be conflicts, it must still run features in the background (kernel? idk). By leaving it on and just turning firewall off I was able to connect. I apologize for such a trivial issue and thank Al Sherwood and BritInVA for your help.
post #288 of 792 Old 10-02-2010, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Issue resolved! For some reason by completely shutting down my smart security, as I did right from the beginning figuring there may be conflicts, it must still run features in the background (kernel? idk). By leaving it on and just turning firewall off I was able to connect. I apologize for such a trivial issue and thank Al Sherwood and BritInVA for your help.

You're welcome, glad you found the solution!

BTW, my Samsung TV (PN58C590) will find any network attached DLNA capable device (NAS, PC, LAPTOP) and make the media available to play, no PC Share Manager required...

Al
post #289 of 792 Old 10-02-2010, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Glad its working but you want to keep trying to work this one out. I wouldn't want to be running the router without a firewall. Not sure if the firewall has logs you can review to see whats being blocked.

index on 1st post

post #290 of 792 Old 10-07-2010, 07:08 AM

Hi,
I bought new TV UE46C6510 with ALLSHARE function. I have problem with how TV organize my shared files.
In PCSM i put whole folder, i.e My Videos, contains another folders like:
Shrek... and so on. When I enter All share in TV and choose Video, I can not to sort files according to folder, only files name are displayed. It can be annoying when you have a lot of files in one subfolder like some TV series and you want to see only one folder not 20 files.
So my question is, exist some way how to reach, my TV will show me only list of folders I put in PCSM?

Thank You So much.
post #291 of 792 Old 10-07-2010, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sango26 View Post

Hi,
I bought new TV UE46C6510 with ALLSHARE function. I have problem with how TV organize my shared files.
Shrek... and so on. When I enter All share in TV and choose Video, I can not to sort files according to folder, only files name are displayed. It can be annoying when you have a lot of files in one subfolder like some TV series and you want to see only one folder not 20 files.
So my question is, exist some way how to reach, my TV will show me only list of folders I put in PCSM?

Thank You So much.

Seems different to how it works with Blu-ray players..... Allshare/PCSM keeps the folder structure.

index on 1st post

post #292 of 792 Old 10-07-2010, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi,

Thank You So much.

Not quite sure what you mean, I have the following files structure and it allows me to see everything at a glance...

DLNA Media:

1) Video
2) Movies
3) Music

Within Video:

CSI
House
NCIS
Numbers

Then within CSI:

Season 7
Season 8

Then within Season 7:

SE07E01
SE07E02...

So when I go in Video all of the sub folders are listed alphabetically, or by what ever sort is available at the left of the screen... your comment about:

Quote:

one subfolder like some TV series and you want to see only one folder not 20 files

suggests that you need to put those TV shows in a "season" folder like I showed above.

Al
post #293 of 792 Old 10-07-2010, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Seems different to how it works with Blu-ray players..... Allshare/PCSM keeps the folder structure.

You are correct, it does keep the folder structure intact on my Samsung TV as well.

Al
post #294 of 792 Old 10-07-2010, 09:16 AM

Quote:

Not quite sure what you mean, I have the following files structure and it allows me to see everything at a glance...

suggests that you need to put those TV shows in a "season" folder like I showed above.

Hmm yes that was exactly what I thought. Did you do any special settings? Because what i am doing is following:
Share whole My videos folder in PCSM, then I go to Media player/choose Video
but I dont see my folders but only files and I have no option how to sort them according folders. only by date or name. And I have created the same scructure as you mentioned: Stargate/Season 1/part1.avi But in TV I see only part1.avi.
What version of PCSM do you use?
post #295 of 792 Old 10-07-2010, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hmm yes that was exactly what I thought. Did you do any special settings? Because what i am doing is following:
Share whole My videos folder in PCSM, then I go to Media player/choose Video
but I dont see my folders but only files and I have no option how to sort them according folders. only by date or name. And I have created the same scructure as you mentioned: Stargate/Season 1/part1.avi But in TV I see only part1.avi.
What version of PCSM do you use?

I am running the latest PC Share Manager v4.2... you do see the Video folder you are talking about in the right hand side of PCSM in the window called "Shared Folder"?

That is strange, just to confirm, on the TV you first select the source, then the Media Player screen appears, you select 'Video' then you should see the folder that you labled 'Video', then selecting that should show all subfolders within it.

No special settings that I can recall... what O/S are you running?

Al
post #296 of 792 Old 10-07-2010, 09:52 AM

Quote:

I am running the latest PC Share Manager v4.2... you do see the Video folder you are talking about in the right hand side of PCSM in the window called "Shared Folder"?

That is strange, just to confirm, on the TV you first select the source, then the Media Player screen appears, you select 'Video' then you should see the folder that you labled 'Video', then selecting that should show all subfolders within it.

No special settings that I can recall... what O/S are you running?

I am running WIN 7. If i am using Windows media player I see a folders, if i am using PCSM 2.3, yes i see the folders in application in right screen, but not in TV, i am doing exactly how you described. Now i am trying to run version you have.
Thank You
post #297 of 792 Old 10-07-2010, 10:18 AM

Thank you for advice, with new PCSM i can see the folders
post #298 of 792 Old 10-07-2010, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thank you for advice, with new PCSM i can see the folders

Cool, that is great, this is definitely a case where the newer version of the application has helped...

Al
post #299 of 792 Old 10-16-2010, 09:04 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I am looking for PCSM 4.2. I have 4.03 and Samsung site only seems to have 2.3. Their site leaves a lot to be desired as well as the software. You would think the software would have an undate version somewhere in it.
post #300 of 792 Old 10-16-2010, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchief99 View Post

I am looking for PCSM 4.2. I have 4.03 and Samsung site only seems to have 2.3. Their site leaves a lot to be desired as well as the software. You would think the software would have an undate version somewhere in it.

See 2nd post

It seems that Samsung are not showing latest version with every model of TV & Blu-ray player...... so you have to look at new models.

index on 1st post

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page