AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrydred View Post

Hi all

just another question regarding Samsung's PC Share Manager,1st, is it possible instead of seeing the standard looking folder icon to have customized folder icons (windows 7 display;s the custom folder icon) can it do that, also if not is there any dlna server/streamer that my tv (samsung LA46C650) can support, that does the job, also is there anyway (scheduled task) to make it update new folder and sort them out alphabetically, because new folders are placed at the bottom, and to recreate the library the Share manager "SUCKS" my RAM up completely (practically using all of my 4GB RAM) and then crashes, i have to do this task atleast 3-4 times before it works again.

Basically answer to the above is No. PCSM Sucks!

There are other media servers that will use PC resources better and also maintain your databases.

As for custom folder icons it depend on whether the TV supports using custom icons - I know my Samsung Bluray players don't.

Serviio is a great free option and Mezzmo is great too (i use that) but does cost. Depends what features you need.

=====================================

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
index on 1st post

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #602 of 792 Old 04-18-2011, 03:51 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
After the recent Mezzmo Update it works even better here. It has a profile for the new D Series too. Im still testing it for the next few days (testing period). Up to now, it looks like im goin to buy it.
post #603 of 792 Old 04-19-2011, 07:28 AM

Liked: 11
When I bought my 2011 Samsung pn51D6500, I incorrectly thought it had a web-browser app (and its not available as an add-on app). I really wanted to push screenshot images of webpages and other documents wirelessly via DLNA "Play to" (from Win7) from my laptop easily without having to use the wired PC-In connection. I decided to write a small app. for Windows that facilitates screen snapshotting&file-saving with a single-click implementation called OneShot. I'm making it freely available:
OneShot Screenshot Utility
Requests for new features will be considered for future updates.
post #604 of 792 Old 04-19-2011, 07:50 AM

Is there any reason to run the All Share SW if all the PCs in the house run Win7?

Thanks

Jim
post #605 of 792 Old 04-19-2011, 08:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutron77 View Post

When I bought my 2011 Samsung pn51D6500, I incorrectly thought it had a web-browser app (and its not available as an add-on app). I really wanted to push screenshot images of webpages and other documents wirelessly via DLNA "Play to" (from Win7) from my laptop easily without having to use the wired PC-In connection. I decided to write a small app. for Windows that facilitates screen snapshotting&file-saving with a single-click implementation called OneShot. I'm making it freely available:
OneShot Screenshot Utility
Requests for new features will be considered for future updates.

I haven't tried your sw yet, but I'm really impressed by it! As a next step, is it technologically possible to have our Samsungs live mirror a DLNA device's browser (source being a laptop, pc, or say a smart phone)?

Great work!
post #606 of 792 Old 04-19-2011, 08:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Miller View Post

Is there any reason to run the All Share SW if all the PCs in the house run Win7?

Thanks

Jim

If you're referring to All Share on your TVs menu, that is just a feature on your TV to access your Win7 server. If you're referring to Samsung's media share software that you download an install on your PC, No. You don't need it if you have Win7, in fact from what I read, it is worse than Win7 and adds RAM resource use to your PC unnecessarily.
post #607 of 792 Old 04-19-2011, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItzMe View Post

If you're referring to All Share on your TVs menu, that is just a feature on your TV to access your Win7 server. If you're referring to Samsung's media share software that you download an install on your PC, No. You don't need it if you have Win7, in fact from what I read, it is worse than Win7 and adds RAM resource use to your PC unnecessarily.

I haven't tried the AllShare 2 PC software yet, but I think for Win7, the "Play to" interface/window is pretty lean, simple and effective; not a lot of eye-candy.
post #608 of 792 Old 04-19-2011, 09:23 AM

Quote:

I haven't tried your sw yet, but I'm really impressed by it! As a next step, is it technologically possible to have our Samsungs live mirror a DLNA device's browser (source being a laptop, pc, or say a smart phone)?

Great work!

Thanks. I don't know if that is possible. OneShot was simply designed to make screen-shotting of Windows screens and file-naming easier. Another neat thing you can do is on one Computer (say WinXP), use OneShot to take a bunch of screen-scrape snapshots. If that folder is shared on your network, a Win7 machine sees that library automatically updated and you can "Play to" from there! This works beautifully.

I was initially hoping to get OneShot to automatically launch the Win7 "Play to" Window but that appears to be non-trivial. Eventually I'd like to add that extra layer of automation but I want to get some user feedback first on the basic functionality in the current version (1.1.0.0).
post #609 of 792 Old 04-19-2011, 11:48 AM

Quote:

This is certainly possible.

I haven't tried this, but you should be able to do this with VLC and a DLNA server that has an "add external source" capability.

- Open VLC
- Media, Open Capture Device
- Drop-down Capture Mode to Desktop
- There's a button next to "Cancel"in the lower right that says Play, and has a drop-down arrow. Drop-down and select "Stream"
- You get a new dialog box. It says "Source" at the top, and Source is filled in as :screen://". Just hit "Next" (This is a wizard)
- Next takes you to the Destination section
- Drop down next to New destination: HTTP. Click Add.
- Select a port to stream on. Make sure this doesn't interfere with any local HTTP server.
- Path you can leave as /
- Activate Transcoding should be checked, Profile Video - H.264 + AAC (MP4)
- Hit Stream button

You now have an HTTP server running on the port you selected streaming your desktop.

Go to your media server that supports external streams (such as Twonky Server and add this server as an external source.

Now here's the tricky part: in Twonky, the UI only permits you to add external media streams from specific sources (YouTube, etc.) There has to be some way to add an arbitrary URL, but I'm not sure how.

Now, for the simple case of showing a video or image that's on a web page, there is a much simpler solution: TwonkyBeam. TwonkyBeam is a Firefox plug-in that will stream content from a web page to a DMR. I don't think, though, that it will stream the browser window content itself. That is, go to YouTube, it will show a list of the videos on the current page in the sidebar. Select a video and you can play it to the DMR.

There is also TwonkyMobile or Android or iPhone. The iPhone version will allow you to queue content from a DLNA server to a DMR. This makes it technically a DMC or Digital Media Controller. Should be much more convenient than using a TV remote to select from the server.
post #610 of 792 Old 04-19-2011, 12:30 PM
Advanced Member

jtara, excuse me while I clean up the pieces of my head, that just exploded

Years back I had a VLC Media Player, so I do I kinda know what you were talking about there. After that, I'm lost. When you get to the part where you said:

Go to your media server that supports external streams (such as Twonky Server and add this server as an external source). Can that be something we do in Windows Media Center or WMP?

Please keep in mind that many of us on this thread are NOT as tech-advanced as you.

Also keep in mind that the objective I was suggesting was to be able to 1) surf the internet on a browser on a device 2) see everything on the screen with our Samsungs. Kinda like making our own browser app like the D8000s have now.
post #611 of 792 Old 04-19-2011, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Also keep in mind that the objective I was suggesting was to be able to 1) surf the internet on a browser on a device 2) see everything on the screen with our Samsungs. Kinda like making our own browser app like the D8000s have now.
I understand what you mean and it would certainly be nice to have devices natively stream directly (like wireless PC-in results). I would guess that MS/Windows are going to design such functionality in the future into Win. Twonky and other servers sound interesting if not a tad complex to configure. The Galaxy Tab can stream content from your newer model 2011Samsung HDTVs back to the Tab but I don't believe the Tab (yet) can push web-browser (or other) content you are viewing on the Tab to those HDTVs, but I'm sure that is coming. I'm going out to get a GT shortly to evaluate these things.
OneShot will never evolve into a DLNA streaming server. It is really intended more as a quick way to very quickly generate and organize full-screen snapshots (say for web-presentations to a modern HDTV). It also will have some useful archiving capabilities which many will find very handy. It will always simply build-on existing DLNA streaming capability in Windows.
post #612 of 792 Old 04-23-2011, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

(Thanks for the previous posts to help me select a good file format for my library and Apple devices!)

I bought a PN58C6400 about 6 months ago and finally got around to getting my library setup and organized. I've had good luck creating mp4s with Handbrake that play well with my Samsung TV (using Mezzmo) and my Apple devices. I have to make some decisions on the file size / quality trade off , but that's not my problem.

Given that I finally got my library somewhat organized I bought the BD-C5500C that I had been waiting on, so I could bring Netflix, Vudu, and streaming my library to my other non-Samsung TV. Lo and behold, most of the videos that I recently created using Handbrake, and which play perfectly on my PN58C6400, will not play on the BD-C5500C -- the BD player says the file format is not supported! WTF?

The files are *.mp4s, converted using H.264 for the video and 128K AAC for the audio. I can't even play the mp4s that I created at the lowest quality setting (the one I use exclusively for the iPhone3), let alone the higher quality ones I've created for streaming / the iPhone4 / iPad.

What gives? Any thoughts? I did allow the BD unit to fully upgrade firmware when I first connected it, btw.

Peter
post #613 of 792 Old 04-24-2011, 09:39 AM
Advanced Member

I was browsing movies in the Yahoo/ Amazon Instant Viewing app on my c8000. I decided to register my tv at their site. I got a confirmation page that noted my account setup and $5 credit. I went back to the app but now its crippled. I can move around the app but I can click on any menu items. Can someone check their Amazon app, please, and let me know if its working?

UPDATE: Uninstall/Re-install the app fixed it.
post #614 of 792 Old 04-29-2011, 08:24 AM
Advanced Member

I have an ISO file of a movie. I want to be able to turn it into a file type that I can stream to my Samsung panel. Can anyone give me some ideas as to the easiest way for me to do this? I have the Adobe suite available to me, if that helps.
post #615 of 792 Old 04-29-2011, 08:59 AM

Quote:

I have an ISO file of a movie. I want to be able to turn it into a file type that I can stream to my Samsung panel. Can anyone give me some ideas as to the easiest way for me to do this? I have the Adobe suite available to me, if that helps.

Install VirtualCloneDrive from AnyDVD [free] and mount the image.

DVD?
If encrypted, use DVDdecrypter [free] to rip the main movie to a series of 1MB VOB files in a Video_TS directory. I then use DVDShrink [free] and reauthor to create a single VOB file [you can shrink the file if you prefer, I prefer to leave them, better quality, faster]. Only a few mouse clicks. This VOB file can be dragged and dropped into your mediashare folder and pay flawlessly. NOTE - if you want chapters or subtitles, then you will need to follow the BluRay process.

BluRay?
Demux the disk using eac3to to native files. Assuming no recoding of the video, remux to mkv using Mkvmuxer with appropriate audio and chapter streams. Forced subtitles need to recoded into the video stream and are beyond the scope of this response.

Kurt
post #616 of 792 Old 04-29-2011, 10:02 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks! I'm almost there. I installed Virtual CloneDrive and it gave me a BD-ROM Drive E: Which now seems to hold the contents of that ISO. Now I need a refresher on how to include that drive in my Windows 7 Windows Media Center, so that drive shows up (is seen by) my Samsung panel. Right now the Smasung only had permission to look at my library/videos/public video folder. How do I add the virtual BD-ROM Drive E contents to the mix?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kws53 View Post

Install VirtualCloneDrive from AnyDVD [free] and mount the image.

DVD?
If encrypted, use DVDdecrypter [free] to rip the main movie to a series of 1MB VOB files in a Video_TS directory. I then use DVDShrink [free] and reauthor to create a single VOB file [you can shrink the file if you prefer, I prefer to leave them, better quality, faster]. Only a few mouse clicks. This VOB file can be dragged and dropped into your mediashare folder and pay flawlessly. NOTE - if you want chapters or subtitles, then you will need to follow the BluRay process.

BluRay?
Demux the disk using eac3to to native files. Assuming no recoding of the video, remux to mkv using Mkvmuxer with appropriate audio and chapter streams. Forced subtitles need to recoded into the video stream and are beyond the scope of this response.

Kurt

post #617 of 792 Old 04-29-2011, 02:13 PM

Quote:

Thanks! I'm almost there. I installed Virtual CloneDrive and it gave me a BD-ROM Drive E: Which now seems to hold the contents of that ISO. Now I need a refresher on how to include that drive in my Windows 7 Windows Media Center, so that drive shows up (is seen by) my Samsung panel. Right now the Smasung only had permission to look at my library/videos/public video folder. How do I add the virtual BD-ROM Drive E contents to the mix?

Two issues - one of omission by me and one by you. I'm not sure that you can feed your Samsung from a BluRay disk on your mediaserver, whether real in a BluRay optical drive on your server or virtually through VirtualCloneDrive, so my "solution" was expecting you to demux your ISO and remux to MKV.

Unfortunately, I've neglected one step with BluRays and that is the decryption phase. To do anything with a BluRay, you will need to purchase AnyDVD [$??] as your driver for decryption purposes.

Sorry for the confusion.

Kurt
post #618 of 792 Old 04-29-2011, 02:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kws53 View Post

Two issues - one of omission by me and one by you. I'm not sure that you can feed your Samsung from a BluRay disk on your mediaserver, whether real in a BluRay optical drive on your server or virtually through VirtualCloneDrive, so my "solution" was expecting you to demux your ISO and remux to MKV.

Unfortunately, I've neglected one step with BluRays and that is the decryption phase. To do anything with a BluRay, you will need to purchase AnyDVD [$??] as your driver for decryption purposes.

Sorry for the confusion.

Kurt

Yeah, the CloneDrive is useless to me, at least with windows 7 WMC as my server Shame, I thought it was a cool concept. The DVDs I'm speaking of are not encrypted ones. So now I'm trying to figure out the simplest way to go from ISO to VOB, assuming VOB's play well streaming from my WIn 7 PC to Samsung panel.
post #619 of 792 Old 05-14-2011, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritInVA View Post
Also any firewall involved?

Have you tried another DLNA Server (like Serviio)?
I've the similar problem to phatka. I am currently using HT-D5530WK samsung HT system with integrated wireless adapter.

My modem is 2wire 5012nv

My problem is I can only detect my allshare/serviio via a wireless connection on my desktop

My lan connected IP are in the same IP range i.e 192.168.1.XXX just the last 2/3 digits are different.

I think it's some firewall issue with the modem, but can't pinpoint what is it exactly. I've also enable uPnP on my router.

Furthermore, I cannot detect another allshare media server installed on another desktop connected by lan.(i.e 2 lan-connected desktop cannot detect each other. Both are using windows 7)
post #620 of 792 Old 05-16-2011, 10:46 AM

I bought a UN40D6400 3 weeks ago. About a week in, I got around to downloading PCSM (I'm running Windows XP and don't want to pay for additional software).

I had read that it can take a while for PCSM to load content the first time. I have 250 GB of content and the thing has been loading for 2 weeks straight. Is this normal?

Should I shut down and start again? What's taking the software so damn long?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
post #621 of 792 Old 05-16-2011, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

^^^ I know others suffered similar fate. You could try stopping and starting it again but might want to try something like Serviio which is free..... you can run both simultaneously to see which you prefer.

index on 1st post

post #622 of 792 Old 05-19-2011, 02:32 PM

I'm one of those who suffered a similar fate. I gave up on it ever finishing. And even if it were to finish, you gotta do it all over every time you delete or add a file.
post #623 of 792 Old 05-19-2011, 05:22 PM

I have just read thru 42 pages of how to stream movies from your PC and got NOTHING! This program works, NO it doesn't. That one works. NOPE! Really!!!! Why does Samsung make it soDAMN hard?
post #624 of 792 Old 05-20-2011, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyjay View Post

I bought a UN40D6400 3 weeks ago. About a week in, I got around to downloading PCSM (I'm running Windows XP and don't want to pay for additional software).

I had read that it can take a while for PCSM to load content the first time. I have 250 GB of content and the thing has been loading for 2 weeks straight. Is this normal?

Should I shut down and start again? What's taking the software so damn long?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Quote:

^^^ I know others suffered similar fate. You could try stopping and starting it again but might want to try something like Serviio which is free..... you can run both simultaneously to see which you prefer.

After reading this forum and almost 3 weeks of load time, I shut down AllShare and uninstalled it from my machine. I downloaded Serviio and selected the folders I wanted to share. There was no loading bar on Serviio, so I was not sure that it was running correctly. I got up from my desk, walked to the TV, turned on the Smart menu, selected AllShare and there were videos to select.

At first it was only a few, but as I navigated the menus, more and more videos popped up and were available to play. I clicked on one to test and it looked FANTASTIC.

Samsung efforts at a media server were AWFUL! My advice to anyone trying to accomplish wireless streaming from their home PC to their TV is to not even bother trying AllShare. Download Serviio and kick back in front of the TV and watch some local content. It was that easy.
post #625 of 792 Old 05-20-2011, 08:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyjay View Post

After reading this forum and almost 3 weeks of load time, I shut down AllShare and uninstalled it from my machine. I downloaded Serviio and selected the folders I wanted to share. There was no loading bar on Serviio, so I was not sure that it was running correctly. I got up from my desk, walked to the TV, turned on the Smart menu, selected AllShare and there were videos to select.

At first it was only a few, but as I navigated the menus, more and more videos popped up and were available to play. I clicked on one to test and it looked FANTASTIC.

Samsung efforts at a media server were AWFUL! My advice to anyone trying to accomplish wireless streaming from their home PC to their TV is to not even bother trying AllShare. Download Serviio and kick back in front of the TV and watch some local content. It was that easy.

Do you see any advantages with Servio in terms of not having to dig into so many folders and stuff to select the video you want to play? Like right now I have to select Device > select Video > select Folders > select My Shared Videos, etc. etc. I wish the last selection would just show up each time.

BTW, I use Windows 7 Media Center as my server right now. I don't want to use any 3rd party program, but I would if saved me from having to dig for a file to play.
post #626 of 792 Old 05-20-2011, 08:23 AM

Can ANYONE verify that using a wired connection for your desktop/laptop that is a media server, is detectable on the SMART TV or Blu-ray system?

Because I have a samsung technical support staff telling me allshare only works on wifi.
post #627 of 792 Old 05-20-2011, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaste View Post

Can ANYONE verify that using a wired connection for your desktop/laptop that is a media server, is detectable on the SMART TV or Blu-ray system?

Because I have a samsung technical support staff telling me allshare only works on wifi.

Absolute rubbish - my PV is ONLy connected via wired and I have 6 Samsung Bluray players all wired.

index on 1st post

post #628 of 792 Old 05-20-2011, 08:27 AM

Quote:

Absolute rubbish - my PV is ONLy connected via wired and I have 6 Samsung Bluray players all wired.

just to clarify again. Bluray wireless, PC/laptop wired.
post #629 of 792 Old 05-20-2011, 02:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaste View Post

just to clarify again. Bluray wireless, PC/laptop wired.

Agree with the Brit's term "rubbish". Actually may work better wired with Wi-Fi issues not needing to be dealt with. I am all wired with the Samsung TV (and associated BD player). /Dan
post #630 of 792 Old 05-20-2011, 06:12 PM

Yeah definitely no need for wireless. Samsung Tech support people really dunno what they're saying most of the time. The bdplayer I have (BD-C5500) doesn't even come with a wireless adapater and it supports allshare. Wi-Fi is just one more thing that can cause problems.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page