Samsung AllShare and Internet@TV Discussion - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 792 Old 05-21-2011, 08:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
just a point to add. My galaxy S phone does not detect my desktop connected by wired connection as well. :\\ zzz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 792 Old 05-24-2011, 10:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassedPawn View Post

I don't think so. I have a new 59D6500 and the mkv's have to be renamed to .avi to play.

I serve them from a dedicated NAS running Twonky (i.e., not a pc).

Quote:
Originally Posted by AW312 View Post

Sure, just tried it. File is 720p (1280x720 res). It plays w/o problems.

Above are some conflicting posts about playing (network streaming) mkv files, and whether they need to be renamed as .avi.

This weekend I replaced my 58c8000 with a new 59d8000. Based on AW312's post of month's back, I thought I'd be able to play mkv files (being served from my Win7 PC using WMP) without having to re-name them to avi. I couldn't, I still got "Format not supported" until I changed the file name to avi. The good news is I no longer have to reboot the computer though.

So if AW312 can stream MKVs through AllShare, I'm wondering why I can't? I got to thinking. The D8000 shows a Windows Media Player logo by my device (my PC). Was I correct to set up my media sharing through WMP. Should/Could I somehow configure my built-in Windows Media Center? Is that a different method of streaming?
post #633 of 792 Old 05-24-2011, 02:07 PM

ItzMe: Basically, if the player will play the file directly (from usb/disc/etc), but it won't play thru Allshare, then it's somethinig to do with your DLNA server/software.

If you use Samsung's one (PCSM), you don't need to rename. I personally also tried Serviio also and had no need to rename either (in fact I've never had a reason to rename). I believe everyone that said they had to rename was using Windows7 built-in stuff or was still figuring out how to set other dlna servers/software.
post #634 of 792 Old 05-24-2011, 02:12 PM

Agreed.

I tried Mkv with Mezzmo and Serviio, and its played w/o renaming to Avi.
post #635 of 792 Old 05-24-2011, 02:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma9o7 View Post

ItzMe: Basically, if the player will play the file directly (from usb/disc/etc), but it won't play thru Allshare, then it's somethinig to do with your DLNA server/software.

If you use Samsung's one (PCSM), you don't need to rename. I personally also tried Serviio also and had no need to rename either (in fact I've never had a reason to rename). I believe everyone that said they had to rename was using Windows7 built-in stuff or was still figuring out how to set other dlna servers/software.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AW312 View Post

Agreed.

I tried Mkv with Mezzmo and Serviio, and its played w/o renaming to Avi.

My Win 7 PC with WMC and WMP is also used for business, so I really don't want to add any resident software. I was hoping that there was a setting or add-on CODEC or something I could do, so I don't have to re-name. It's cool this way though.
post #636 of 792 Old 05-24-2011, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItzMe View Post

My Win 7 PC with WMC and WMP is also used for business, so I really don't want to add any resident software. I was hoping that there was a setting or add-on CODEC or something I could do, so I don't have to re-name. It's cool this way though.

Yeah I certainly wasn't suggesting you use PCSM! I do believe there is a way to configure win7 to do it with codecs or something, but yeah don't have win7 so dunno how to do it myself. First thing I'd do is make sure wmc/wmp can play the file when it's named mkv tho.. if it can't, then install the needed codecs/whatever to get that working, and it might just fix the allshare issue... but if they can already play them, dunno what to tell ya, hopefully somebody else using win7 can elaborate.
post #637 of 792 Old 05-24-2011, 08:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma9o7 View Post

Yeah I certainly wasn't suggesting you use PCSM! I do believe there is a way to configure win7 to do it with codecs or something, but yeah don't have win7 so dunno how to do it myself. First thing I'd do is make sure wmc/wmp can play the file when it's named mkv tho.. if it can't, then install the needed codecs/whatever to get that working, and it might just fix the allshare issue... but if they can already play them, dunno what to tell ya, hopefully somebody else using win7 can elaborate.

That sounds like a good way to debug my problem. I cannot play MKVs using my WMP. I get that "WMP Encountered a Problem" and the Win7 online help about my Multimedia Sound Device was no help. I have no MM Sound Device, instead I have Realteck High Definition Audio as a sound device. I can play MKVs if I open the file with DIvX Plus. But I guess the objective is to get it to play with WMP. So I'm stumped.
post #638 of 792 Old 05-30-2011, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I installed Twonky on my server and was able to stream all my MKV's to the TV. I then installed the Twonky client on my Android phone and can view the library and have it play directly on the TV while selecting it on the phone! Just like Apple's Airplay.
post #639 of 792 Old 06-11-2011, 08:38 PM

Hi everyone-
Does anyone have a link to a walkthrough or quick run down on how to get media sharing setup between a PN64D7000 and a Windows XP machine? I worked on it for a couple hours last night with no success. I think I am missing a step or something and I am not finding the TV manual very helpful.

I loaded ALLSHARE onto the PC and was able to add a library. The ALLSHARE software sees my PC and the TV. The TV sees the PC as an allowed device (or whatever it is called I'm not in front of the TV). But I can't go any further. I am guessing I should be able to pick photos or see the PC as a source but I am unclear on how this should work. When I pick photos I get no device connected.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

THANKS!
post #640 of 792 Old 06-13-2011, 05:45 AM
Advanced Member

When you use Mezzmo, how does the GUI change on the Samsung? Does it look any different once you select the device you want to stream from? Can it be configured for less less drilling down (layers of folders) to get to the desired file? Posters?

When I Google Mezzmo screenshots, they're all shots of the Mezzmo interface itself.
post #641 of 792 Old 06-13-2011, 06:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

When you use Mezzmo, how does the GUI change on the Samsung? Does it look any different once you select the device you want to stream from? Can it be configured for less less drilling down (layers of folders) to get to the desired file? Posters?

When I Google Mezzmo screenshots, they're all shots of the Mezzmo interface itself.

Mezzmo does not have a major impact on the way the device shows content but can help with drilling down as you can create cntent type folder/playlists and only folders/playlists for the content will display (e.g. on my Samsung BD with PCSM if I selected Video I would see folders for video and music/photos.... while with Mezzmo just see video).

=====================================
My HT Thread index on 1st post
Samsung AllShare and Internet@TV Discussion
post #642 of 792 Old 06-13-2011, 02:34 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrbocke View Post

Hi everyone-
Does anyone have a link to a walkthrough or quick run down on how to get media sharing setup between a PN64D7000 and a Windows XP machine? I worked on it for a couple hours last night with no success. I think I am missing a step or something and I am not finding the TV manual very helpful.

I loaded ALLSHARE onto the PC and was able to add a library. The ALLSHARE software sees my PC and the TV. The TV sees the PC as an allowed device (or whatever it is called I'm not in front of the TV). But I can't go any further. I am guessing I should be able to pick photos or see the PC as a source but I am unclear on how this should work. When I pick photos I get no device connected.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

THANKS!

Since you have not gotten a reply, I will take a shot but it has been months since I set it up and used it last. You do not talk about setting a folder to share and then "refreshing". I created a new folder just for what I wanted to share since it would have taken forever to update the folder that has my pictures/videos. /Dan
post #643 of 792 Old 06-13-2011, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

^^^ Also have you Refreshed the Db (under Share menu)

post #644 of 792 Old 06-13-2011, 06:17 PM

Thanks Dan-
I did create a new folder with a few pictures and setup the permissions as a shared folder. Sometime during all this the pictures in My Pictures actually started showing up in the shared library in Allshare. So I think that is working right.

Any other thoughts? Am I right in thinking that if Allshare has a picture library I should be able to select pictures on the TV and this library should show up? Right now when I pictures I get a no device connected error. Does this error show up because there is something still wrong with the setup or something wrong with the library. I would think if the connection is OK (which everything on the PC and TV says it is) I could connect but just no see any pictures if the library wasn't there.
post #645 of 792 Old 06-13-2011, 06:26 PM

My other thought I had this morning is, if I make my XP PC a DLNA certified media server then could I stop messing with ALLShare? I found a walkthrough a little bit ago but I am not at home to try.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...11/share-media
post #646 of 792 Old 06-13-2011, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Most have found Samsung PCSM to be a POS and native fileshares not much better

Best look elsewhere Mezzmo ($30 [free trial] - full support) and Serviio (free - limited support) seem to be best options but need to weigh features you want

post #647 of 792 Old 06-13-2011, 07:39 PM

I will give one of those a try. The little I worked with Allshare I didn't like it (on top of it not working). I still wonder why the TV and the PC see each other but will not connect.
post #648 of 792 Old 06-20-2011, 11:25 AM

Hi,

I just joined AV Forums yesterday and am really glad I found this place because there's a lot of good information and expertise here.

Here's my situation: A week ago I had an old CRT TV and just a regular DVD player and an old AV receiver and a crude 5.1 surround sound system. I just bit the bullet and bought myself a Samsung 3D plasma PN50C8000 TV and an Onkyo TX-NR609 AV Receiver and a Samsung BD-C6900 3D Blu-Ray player. I got really good deals on the Samsung items because they are 2010 products.

I also recently purchased a D-Link DNS-323 NAS device with a couple 2 TB drives in it. It is hardwired into my G-spec wireless router and is DNLA certified.

My goal is to use the NAS drive as a media center and be able to stream Blu-Ray, 3D Blu-Ray and SD media and other video files and view them on my TV.

Now every component that I've mentioned has ethernet (N spec) but only the BD-C6900 Blu Ray player has wireless capability unless I purchase a wireless dongle for the Onkyo AV Receiver. They all are HDMI 1.4 compatible too.

There's no way to run ethernet cable to my AV equipment in the basement so the only way to connect to the NAS drive is through wireless so that means I have to stream to/through the DVD player.

I am just new to all this stuff and I'm a bit confused as to what the best software is in order to enable the media streaming/sharing. I think my options are either Allshare or Twonky. (I have to do a little "tweaking" to the NAS drive in order to install and run Twonky but it's not that difficult to do.

Should I use Twonky or Allshare? I'm thinking Twonky because my research tells me that Allshare is a bit flakey and the latest version of Twonky is pretty good.

If I install Twonky on the NAS drive will I still be able to use it for other things like backing up my files from my PC & laptop or will Twonky make it a dedicated one-purpose media server?

Thanks in advance
post #649 of 792 Old 06-24-2011, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Twonky works great, it doesn't mess with your files. Its just a DLNA service.
post #650 of 792 Old 06-25-2011, 07:49 AM

Please help!!

I installed TVMobili over 1 week ago and was pleasantly surprised to see my TV (a Samsung PN59D7000) easily find and play the external media connected to my MacBook Pro. "Wow! That was easy," was my reaction.

Well, yesterday morning I updated the firmware on my TV to version 1009.2. because every time I launched SmartHub, I was greeted with this annoying message about needing to update my firmware. Well, okay, I thought; so I downloaded the update from Samsung's website and installed it on my TV from a USB flash drive as directed.

To my dismay, when I launch my SmartHub and now select "Video", "Photos" or "Music", I am given the following message: "There is no device connected." My TV can't find my computer which is running TV Mobili or my media now!

A couple of important facts: 1) My TV IS visible to my router; I checked and its MAC addresses shows up as a network device; 2) also, my TV IS able to connect to the internet; 3) TV Mobili runs fine, but there are no "discovered devices" listed under the Status menu; I read in a previous post where someone asked another user if their device shows up in TV Mobili; mine does not; 4) I do not have a firewall setup and there are no ports blocked.

What can I do? How can I restore the connection between my TV and my computer and media. Can I easily downgrade my firmware since it was working before? Is that a viable/ good option? The benefit of accessing my media across my wireless network with TVMobili was amazing and now I really need some help to restore its functionality.

Can someone confirm if there firmware update does in fact break this functionality?

Thanks in advance!

-J

P.S. This forum is amazing. I've learned so much over the past four weeks and read enough informative discussions that gave me a lot of confidence in buying my Samsung plasma two weeks ago.
post #651 of 792 Old 07-06-2011, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Picked up a Samsung BD-D5700 a few weeks ago and just recently set up Allshare. At first I only tried a couple of movies, Tangled and Alice in wonderland. Both were blu-ray rips and played falwlessly. I have since transferred a number of other movies to my main Home computer for streaming and now am running into problems. I keep getting 'Device not connected' messages and the Allshare icon on the 'My Devices' tab is gone. I go back to my computer, check settings, click on the 'Allow all' tab, and the Allshare icon reappears. This doesn't happen with Tangled, one of the first movies I streamed, but it happens with all the others.
post #652 of 792 Old 07-08-2011, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Update, I think it has to do with the format in which the movie is ripped. I will do some troubleshooting and will report back...
post #653 of 792 Old 07-11-2011, 08:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, my BD-D5700 started acting up, and as I was still in the 30 day window, I went back to FS and swapped it out for a new one. Anyways, the set up on the new one went without a hitch and Allshare is working well. Hooked up Netflix as well. Does anyone else here think that accessing Samsung's hub is slow?
post #654 of 792 Old 07-12-2011, 06:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebloggs13 View Post

Does anyone else here think that accessing Samsung's hub is slow?

Not sure what you mean - if your refering to speedtest results thats because it tests to S.Korea.

I believe all the Apps (Netflix, Pandora etc.) go to local servers.

post #655 of 792 Old 07-12-2011, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritInVA View Post

Not sure what you mean - if your refering to speedtest results thats because it tests to S.Korea.

I believe all the Apps (Netflix, Pandora etc.) go to local servers.

Thanks, I read somewhere on another forum that someone else stated that the Samsung apps were a little slow to navigate. it could also be the player(bd-d5700). The Netflix app works well, downloads only take seconds. I just found some of the other apps very slow compared to it.
post #656 of 792 Old 07-14-2011, 12:57 PM
Advanced Member

Cinema Smooth won't work with USB or Media Sharing, only with HDMI. Change that!

Over at the CNET Samsung Forum, the Samsung Tech wants to know if owners are interested in getting Cinema Smooth to activate (as an option) when you play a 1080p file from USB, DLNA, or media sharing. Right now the Cinema Smooth feature will only work if you use an HDMI Input device.

It seems Samsung could likely fix that with a Firmware update. It also seems that other manufacturers don't limit their versions of Cinema Smooth to just HDMI sources. The Samsung Tech is interested to see how many folks have such an interest.

Even if its just to help other owners, please post your support of this feature in This Thread.
post #657 of 792 Old 07-21-2011, 08:28 AM

I have some Directv receivers that are showing up in allshare is there anyway to remove the devices from my Samsung UN55D8000???
post #658 of 792 Old 07-21-2011, 08:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideync View Post

I have some Directv receivers that are showing up in allshare is there anyway to remove the devices from my Samsung UN55D8000???

I have the same issue and I've asked about doing what you want in a couple of forums. Long story short, it seems we can't remove them from showing up.

One good thing though, that allshare is part of DLNA technology. Notice how you can see the file names of the TV shows in your Directv DVR? Many companies are working on a standard technology called RVU that may soon enable us Samsung owners to eliminate all but 1 DirecTV devices in our house and use that DLNA (RVU) technology to access all our TV shows. Make sense? For more info Google those terms above.
post #659 of 792 Old 07-21-2011, 11:26 AM

Quote:

I have the same issue and I've asked about doing what you want in a couple of forums. Long story short, it seems we can't remove them from showing up.

One good thing though, that allshare is part of DLNA technology. Notice how you can see the file names of the TV shows in your Directv DVR? Many companies are working on a standard technology called RVU that may soon enable us Samsung owners to eliminate all but 1 DirecTV devices in our house and use that DLNA (RVU) technology to access all our TV shows. Make sense? For more info Google those terms above.

Yeah I am hoping someday this will work but Directv has invested in MRV so will see. I have a second question about itunes export I want to export my playlist to alshare I got all the music by converting to mp3 but would like the playlists as well
post #660 of 792 Old 07-23-2011, 04:35 PM

Hi I tried to search the forums for this but I couldn't find what I was looking for exactly.

I've got a Samsung 3D LED (series 8000) with built in wireless network.
What I'm looking for is a way to stream my music to it from my computer. I know I can share folders and such and do it that way. What I'm looking for is if either this app or something else I can install will let me stream what I'm playing on the PC to the TV directly. Just the audio.

Want to be able to stream what I play on spotify to the TV to be specific. Will probably get one of those apple wireless streaming thingies eventually and connect that right to the amp directly instead. But would be nice to be able to stream this somehow meanwhile.

Any answers on this would be very appreciated. Thanks!
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page