post #61 of 792 Old 04-15-2010, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgleaner View Post

Thanks for the response Al. This information is really helpful!

I am concerned that it doesn't do playlists. Does anyone have a workaround or some way to play playlists (with the list shuffled each time)?

I should point out that I am using AllShare from my TV.

As you are in the US, I would assume that Internet@TV will be available, and after some further investigation it looks like it may be the model of TV that I have does not have it (PN50C550), I did see that other models available in Canada do have it (PNC58C6500) but of course any material that has copyright issues may not be streamed to a Canadian IP address.

Al
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 792 Old 04-15-2010, 09:08 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

3. Will the response time be acceptable with a list this large?
4. Is there a way to play Internet radio stations?

re #4, The only internet radio stations (as of now) part of Interent@TV is Pandora... which is really good actually... but that's it. I think that might be USA only, but you're NJ so covered.

re #3: My experience is mainly with video (not mp3), and the response seems to be controlled by the dlna server more than the player. From my winxp box, with samsung's software (PC Share Manager) it's relatively fast to browse... but with Serviio it's really really really slow. However, its a thumbs view that only shows like 10 or 15 files at a time, so it still takes a while to find something specific, the player doesnt have a list view or anyway to jump to a certain letter or anything, gotta go page by page. But PCSM was really slow (days and days) to build a database. And PCSM doesn't auto-update, so you gotta manually "update database" everytime you add or delete something from a shared folder if you want it to be right.
post #63 of 792 Old 04-16-2010, 06:02 AM

Which server software do you recommend that I use with a library my size? Can I use Allshare while my database is rebuilding?
post #64 of 792 Old 04-18-2010, 07:07 PM

Can the Allshare option be used to control let's say a Samsung Blu-ray player from a Samsung TV (both having the Allshare software of course)? I ask because I am planning on placing my Blu-ray player in media cabinet which will block the IR sensor.

Thanks for any input!!
post #65 of 792 Old 04-18-2010, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountThis View Post

Can the Allshare option be used to control let's say a Samsung Blu-ray player from a Samsung TV (both having the Allshare software of course)?

Not with allshare, which is for sharing media files. That feature you're asking about is called Anynet+ . Not sure how it works, but looks like they discuss it here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1147231
post #66 of 792 Old 04-23-2010, 10:31 AM

Just got the Samsung LN46C650 -

I've got All Share working - sort of

Is there a way to actually see your PC screen on the TV with the wireless dongle?

That might be a better option than the All Share folder mess.
post #67 of 792 Old 04-23-2010, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougPacker View Post

Is there a way to actually see your PC screen on the TV with the wireless dongle?

I doubt you could use the wireless dongle to do that, the TV is not a full fledged PC per se, if you really want to increase access speed to files, you would be better off connecting the TV as a monitor for the PC and view files or playback music and video that way.

Quote:

Which server software do you recommend that I use with a library my size? Can I use Allshare while my database is rebuilding?

Like the situation above, maybe a directly connected PC is the option you require. I have not tried to access the files while PC Manager is updating, it doesn't take long so I wait the minute or so for it to complete.

AllShare works well when served by the Samsung PC Manager software, but as you mention the folder system leaves a little to be desired. I have compared this file system to having the TV access a DLNA NAS device and it is fast compared to that.

I think that you will find that like all database engines, the larger the files system or the less powerful the hardware driving it the slower it will be.

Al
post #68 of 792 Old 04-23-2010, 11:30 AM

I read about allshare, it says that it can connect to mobile device to view ur sms etc, Anybody has tried it before. I try to find out how to do that but still didnt find any infos about that.
post #69 of 792 Old 04-23-2010, 11:36 AM

Thanks.

I'm still trying to figure out the best solution to play files
from my PC and laptop.

The salesmen had presented the LN46C650 as being able to wirelessly connect to my laptop - I was hoping to not have to unplug it and physically hook it to the TV everytime I wanted to play a file.

I guess it does "connect" but I bet there's a way to use the wireless to see your PC screen on the TV.

I have lots of videos broken into segments - not sure how to play those through All Share but hopefully the software will evolve.
post #70 of 792 Old 04-23-2010, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have lots of videos broken into segments - not sure how to play those through All Share but hopefully the software will evolve.

Put them in a single folder with squential naming- from my experienced the AllShare feature usuall sorts files alphabetically and when finishes with a video opens the next.

=====================================
My HT Thread index on 1st post
Samsung AllShare and Internet@TV Discussion
post #71 of 792 Old 04-23-2010, 12:38 PM

Tell me what you mean by sequential - I have the files in separate folders and most named by sequential numbers or name - and they still are either grouped by date or first letter - and All Share still has them out of order.
post #72 of 792 Old 04-23-2010, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Tell me what you mean by sequential - I have the files in separate folders and most named by sequential numbers or name - and they still are either grouped by date or first letter - and All Share still has them out of order.

Hmmm - from what I've seen my files look to be alphabetically/numerically sorted so I would have thought if you had

Folder Show 1
- Show 1 Prt 1
- Show 1 Prt 2
- Show 1 Prt 3

And then selected 'Show 1 Prt 1' after it finnished it would move onto 'Show 1 Prt 2'

post #73 of 792 Old 04-23-2010, 03:38 PM

Quote:

What I think you want is a wireless hdmi extender. They're not cheap, but should work for your purposes. Here's an example of such a device for just $750 at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Gefen-GTV-WHDM.../dp/B0027AZ088

Obviously the easy/cheap solution if you want that route is just to hook up your computer directly to your tv with an hdmi cable.
post #74 of 792 Old 04-24-2010, 06:14 PM

Anyone know how to stop the screensaver from coming up when using pandora? (on bd-c5500) Sometimes I'm curious about the artist/title of a song, but annoying to have to use the remote to check it...
post #75 of 792 Old 04-27-2010, 10:34 AM

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones in that I don't already have a large library of digital content. I'm just starting down the path of creating digital copies of my DVDs for playing on my computer and/or Samsung Blu-Ray 5500. I'm struggling with just ripping the movies from the DVD to a network drive (VIDEO_TS) and using a media server like TVersity or actually converting the DVDs to a format that is directly playable on my Samsung via a network DLNA drive (Buffalo LinkStation). Any suggestions about which would be better? Also, if I rip directly to a format that is playable by the Samsung, which format would be best and any recommended tools/settings for doing so?
post #76 of 792 Old 04-27-2010, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jritschel View Post

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones in that I don't already have a large library of digital content. I'm just starting down the path of creating digital copies of my DVDs for playing on my computer and/or Samsung Blu-Ray 5500.

I'm in similar position in that other than digital copies and some rips for an iTouch I don't have a library. I've just ripped enough to enable me to evaluate some of the different DLNA Servers.

So far MKV looks to be the best container to meet my needs, It does not take as much room as a full DVD rip and I can remove things I don't need (like subtitles and audio).

For simplicity Serviio seems to be a good fit but some downsides on the flexibility of the meta-data (not that the C5500 uses it).

I'm currently looking at the J River Media Center. Certainly a lot more functionality and library capability. Probably over kill for my needs and what the C5500 can do with it.

Was not able to get TVersity fully working. What profile are you using? Can you post it?

post #77 of 792 Old 04-27-2010, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jritschel View Post

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones in that I don't already have a large library of digital content. I'm just starting down the path of creating digital copies of my DVDs for playing on my computer and/or Samsung Blu-Ray 5500. I'm struggling with just ripping the movies from the DVD to a network drive (VIDEO_TS) and using a media server like TVersity or actually converting the DVDs to a format that is directly playable on my Samsung via a network DLNA drive (Buffalo LinkStation). Any suggestions about which would be better? Also, if I rip directly to a format that is playable by the Samsung, which format would be best and any recommended tools/settings for doing so?

4 things to consider here, and I'm no expert, so I might make a basic mistake.

#1 Audio Compression Format
If you care about good surround sound, keep the best original soundtrack on the disc... DTS is better than AC3 (Dolby Digital), but takes more space. DTS can be up to 1.5Mbps, whereas AC3 can be up to 640k. If you want decent surround but don't mind compressing it a bit, go 384k AC3. If you only want stereo and want to save the most space, go MP3. If you're keeping multiple tracks, consider keeping the main movie track as AC3/DTS, but using mp3 for directors commentary and stuff. For high def source, there are even higher bitrate audio formats, but the 1.5Mbps DTS is usually pretty damn good and takes a real sound-nut to notice anything better than that IMO.

#2 Video Compression Format
The original video on DVDs is mpeg-2, but there's lots of better compression techniques than that now - basically means smaller file for same quality. H.264 (aka mpeg4, avc) is the best, however not everything decodes H.264 yet. An alternative is Divx which is supported by more standalone dvd players, but if all you care about is your PC and the samsung, then stick with H.264. (There are free versions of h264 and divx called x264 and xvid, respectively). If you start doing high-def video (like ripping from HDDVD or BD) then you need a computer to decode/reencode it in a reasonable amound of time, and decent video card and/or computer to playback high resolution or it'll be jerky, but for DVDrips, you only need a semi-decent computer. My Samsung BDP has played back all the high-def I've thrown at it, so that's not as issue.

#3 Container
Matroska or AVI are your best bets. Matroska is certainly better, it allows a lot more formats to fit inside, advantages like multiple audio tracks, multiple subtitles tracks, menus, chapters, etc. Unfortunately Samsung doesnt support all that yet - however it does support multiple audio tracks, but not subtitles yet. AVI is more common for older stuff and older dvdplayers typically support divx in avi.

#4 Software for doing it.
There's so many options depending on how much you wanna spend (including 0) and how much control you want, and how much you want to be able to do, etc. A couple peices of software to consider are Handbrake, free from handbrake.fr and AnyDVD from www.slysoft.com, but so many more choices out there and you may need to use a combination of different software to get the desired results. It'll be a learning experience, but there are guides to help you.

PC Playback.
I recommend VLC Media player from www.videolan.org , it plays everything natively. For x264, especially high def, I reccommend Media Player Classic Home Cinema from mpc-hc.sourceforge.net, it was the only free player I found that supported hardware decoding video cards... I have an older computer and it's not fast enough to decode 720p without being jerky and it would peg my computer cpu at 100%... but i have a video card with h264 decoder, and when I use mpc-hc, those files play great and cpu usage is low (20%). MPC-HC sometimes requires you install the right codecs and stuff yourself tho, so thats why I recommend VLC first.

Filesize & Quality
With xvid into avi, you can get near-DVD quality with ac3 under 2 gigs, or pretty decent quality under 1 gig with mp3. Obviously that varies a bit with the length of the movie and the bitrate of the audio track. With x264 into mkv, even smaller (or better quality for the same size). I'd reccommend the x264 into mkv unless you really want backwards compatibility or have a slow computer - especially for high-def or foreign movies where you may want multiple audio tracks and subtitles. For high def x264, you can get excellent 720p with AC3 around 4gigs, want amazing quality with DTS, double that.

DLNA Server Software
In my opinion the biggest downside of Serviio is how slow it is to navigate on my bdplayer compared with the Samsung PC Share Manager software, but the biggest downside of the Samsung software is that it doesnt automatically update when you add/remove files and takes forever to build it's first database (if you have lots of files - for me over a week) and shuts down its server when you're rebuilding. As to J River, I havent' tried it, but I just read a report of someone having their entire media library erased by using it, to me that means it isnt even worth the risk of trying. No idea about your buffalo thing.

One more thing about Matroska & Subtitles on Samsung. The Samsung can't play subtitles from inside the mkv (yet- hope they fix this in firmware) but it can play them if they are in a separate file. The author of servioo says in his next version he may make serviio automatically extract the subtitles and send them as a separate file to get around this problem with Samsung. So don't let the fact that Samsung wont play the subs keep you from putting them in your mkv, there will be some solution in the future, either samsung or serviio.
post #78 of 792 Old 04-27-2010, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

I am not sure if every AllShare implementations are the same, but this is from my TV's manual. If you are considering containers and the video/audio codec that you store within them for playback with AllShare you might find this useful as a compatibility guideline. (From my Samsung PN58C550 manual)
LL

Al
post #79 of 792 Old 04-27-2010, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma9o7 View Post

As to J River, I havent' tried it, but I just read a report of someone having their entire media library erased by using it, to me that means it isnt even worth the risk of trying.

Sounds like a 'dumb' user to me. When you delete something in JRMC it asks you:

- Remove from Library (default)
- Remove from Library and send to recycle bin
- Remove from Library and permanently delete from disk

So far I like the way the JRMC folks have been working me to get it running with the C5500. Only thing not working is thumbnails for pictures and movies.

Once things are all working I'll post more on it.

post #80 of 792 Old 04-29-2010, 11:06 PM
AVS Special Member

I have noticed that when I playback programs from my network attached PC running Samsung PC Share Manager that although the sound seems to be in sync when the program starts it doesn't stay that way for long.

Has anybody else noticed Audio/video out of sync, know what causes it and how to fix it?

Thanks!

Al
post #81 of 792 Old 04-29-2010, 11:11 PM

Location: Little Elm, TX ---- Optoma HD70, 106" DIY screen, DTV HR10250, PIO VSX54TX, Monster Power HTS5000, Polk Speakers and Velodyne Sub, Xbox 360 w/HD Addon
For the life of me I cannot get my TV (46c630) or my BR (c5500) to stream from my Windows Home Server even with Twonky installed. I keep getting "File not Supported". I have tried every format, MP4, AVI, MPEG2, etc. and nothing. The only success was one file that I was able to play from my Dlink 321 NAS box, but that file will not play from my WHS. I am at my wits end. Any ideas? Otherwise I will just get a Patriot Box Office player or build a HTPC with XBMC on it.
Thanks.

Edit: FYI, I have tried both a wired GB connection and a wireless N connection.

war--> peace--> freedom--> war--> peace--> freedom
post #82 of 792 Old 04-30-2010, 05:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemical_head View Post

For the life of me I cannot get my TV (46c630) or my BR (c5500) to stream from my Windows Home Server even with Twonky installed. I keep getting "File not Supported". I have tried every format, MP4, AVI, MPEG2, etc. and nothing. The only success was one file that I was able to play from my Dlink 321 NAS box, but that file will not play from my WHS. I am at my wits end. Any ideas? Otherwise I will just get a Patriot Box Office player or build a HTPC with XBMC on it.
Thanks.

Edit: FYI, I have tried both a wired GB connection and a wireless N connection.

Nothing about Twonky but others have had success with other servers (Serviio, Mediatomb + I'm getting good results with J River Media Server). One thing I found is you need to ensure the containers are using the the right video/audio codecs so in the FAQ you will see an App called MediaInfo that will give you details.

post #83 of 792 Old 04-30-2010, 12:56 PM

Location: Little Elm, TX ---- Optoma HD70, 106" DIY screen, DTV HR10250, PIO VSX54TX, Monster Power HTS5000, Polk Speakers and Velodyne Sub, Xbox 360 w/HD Addon
Solved my problem, I got the Patriot Box Office and it works perfectly. Granted I would like to have had the TV or DVD display the files, but this works perfectly and I can play ISO's just like I had a DVD player was connected. Maybe one day there will be a TV that does the same without all the headaches.

war--> peace--> freedom--> war--> peace--> freedom
post #84 of 792 Old 05-03-2010, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'm pleased to report that as of version 15.0.35 of the J River Media Center (JRMC) the support of Samsung Blu-ray players and TV's appears to be fully functional.

I have tested with the Blu-ray BD-C5500C and someone else on their forum has tested with LCD-TV 650 series (LE37B650).

I've tested all stated (for the C5500) supported files for native (no trans-coding) playback.

JRMC is much more than a DLNA Server and have some very nice cataloging features - not that the Samsungs can take advantage of them all.

Anyone wanting to try it out can get a 30-day trial version with a complete feature set. Full license is $49.98.

I'm going to continue testing it out to see if it can support trans-coding direct DVD Rips..... if anyone wants anything specific tried out let me know and I'll try to oblige.

post #85 of 792 Old 05-03-2010, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

So can this replace Samsungs PC Share Manager software with the JRMC, and have it function with AllShare?

Al
post #86 of 792 Old 05-03-2010, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Sherwood View Post

So can this replace Samsungs PC Share Manager software with the JRMC, and have it function with AllShare?

Yes, JRMC is an alternative to PCSM. If you like the simpilicity of PCSM then I think Serviio is a better option as it has some nice additional features (scheduled syncs and metadata). If you want something to better manage a library then JRMC is well worth a look..... it has a lot of features that I'll likely never use but who knows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Sherwood View Post

I have noticed that when I playback programs from my network attached PC running Samsung PC Share Manager that although the sound seems to be in sync when the program starts it doesn't stay that way for long.

Has anybody else noticed Audio/video out of sync, know what causes it and how to fix it?

Thanks!

Well I played Avatar today from my PC running the JRMC to my BD-C5500 using Allshare. Its was a MKV with h.264 video and AC3 audio.

No issues with lip sync throuout.

The PC and C5500 are connected via a 100M Netgear switch, PC is running Vista and I had a Handbrake encoding running on the PC at same time.

post #87 of 792 Old 05-07-2010, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'm currently Beta testing Serviio 0.4 that includes transcoding.

Been able to play VOB files with my BD-C5500 - when a movie is made up of multiple VOB's there is about a 10s lag in playing next VOB which is not ideal but I think its more a renderer issue thar Servioo.

I'm currently trying to get an MKV with MPEG2/AC3 working by tinkering with the transcode settings in the profile.

If anyone wants something specifically tested let me know and I'll try to oblige

post #88 of 792 Old 05-07-2010, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritInVA View Post

I'm currently Beta testing Serviio 0.4 that includes transcoding.

If anyone wants something specifically tested let me know and I'll try to oblige

Is navigation between folders and pages of files any faster than release version of Serviio?
Can you shut it off and turn it on without rebooting? (If I try that with release version, tells me something isn't loaded).
Does FF/REW behave the same as before (doesnt work - probably a samsung problem not server, but still curious)?
I'm assuming transcoding takes computer CPU time? Is it signifcant, meaning is the computer still usable if serviio is transcoding? I realize that might depend somewhat on the speed of the computer...
post #89 of 792 Old 05-07-2010, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Is navigation between folders and pages of files any faster than release version of Serviio?

I can't say I noticed a delay in moving between folders & pages. Seems to be less than a 1s delay but I currently don't have large library.

Quote:

Can you shut it off and turn it on without rebooting? (If I try that with release version, tells me something isn't loaded).

It acts the same..... apparently when you completely stop Serviio it stops the Windows service, so when you try to start the console again it cannot connect. You have to manually start the windows service before running the console. Petr is going to add a shortcut for that into the start menu in a future release.

Quote:

Does FF/REW behave the same as before (doesnt work - probably a samsung problem not server, but still curious)?

No change...... I understand this is a Samsung renderer thing.

Quote:

I'm assuming transcoding takes computer CPU time? Is it signifcant, meaning is the computer still usable if serviio is transcoding? I realize that might depend somewhat on the speed of the computer...

It does have an impact on the PC but in my case its not unusable. My desktop is not powerful by any means (Intel Core2 Duo 2.2GHz).

post #90 of 792 Old 05-07-2010, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

And I have now succesfuly transcoded a MKV with MPEG2/AC3 into and MPEG contater with MPEG2/AC3..... so those using MakeMKV can now use the MKV's with this player.

I'm personally now using RipBot for my DVD to MKV transfers (looks much better than what Handbrake was producing)

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page