post #121 of 792 Old 05-15-2010, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by podious View Post

My bad! Is your player and your PC on the same subnet? If you have multiple routers, then having your PC with an IP address of say 192.168.1.100 and you player with an IP of 192.168.2.100 would make it very difficult to share. I doubt it would be an issue, but you may check your firewall settings.

Hey Podious, since we have both suggested this hopefully he has already checked this, see post #106 above...

Al
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 792 Old 05-17-2010, 05:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Serviio 4.0 has not yet been released but I've come across a glitch that makes it not a viable option (at least for me). Basically, on the Blu-ray players the jog back/forward (using directional keys) and the move to timestamp (using Tools)are not working. Confirmed this on the BD-C5500 and the HT-C5500.

The jog back/forward and the move to timestamp are using the J River Media center.

For now I'm finding Samsung PCSM to be the most robust and easiest for family to use but lacks features that I would really like - mainly on use of custom thumbnails, in correct aspect format and would love metadata support.

=====================================
My HT Thread index on 1st post
Samsung AllShare and Internet@TV Discussion
post #123 of 792 Old 05-17-2010, 05:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

OK - so so far I've just been using some space capacity on an existing PC.

Going forward need to think about better storage options. For now I'm thinking of just adding a additional hard drive in an existing PC.

My choices are using a PC in the office that is usually on from wake to sleep. That PC is:

- Windows Vista Home Premium
- 2.2GHz Processor
- 3GB RAM
- SATA drives

Or I have a PC that is currently just used for backups that is time to switch on/off between 11am/8pm: That PC is:

- Windows XP Home
- 1.3GHz
- 512M RAM
- ATA Drives

It would make sense to use the backup PC but concerned that its underpowered and also by using ATA drives later down road the drive not compatible with a future Server (unless I add a SATA card).

Or should I opt to get a dedicated Server that can be used for both backups and DLNA?

Appreciate anyone more familiar with all this giving some advise - I don't want to spend a heap of cash at this time. So drives are cheapest option but are there cheap servers work looking at?

post #124 of 792 Old 05-17-2010, 08:04 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by podious View Post

My bad! Is your player and your PC on the same subnet? If you have multiple routers, then having your PC with an IP address of say 192.168.1.100 and you player with an IP of 192.168.2.100 would make it very difficult to share. I doubt it would be an issue, but you may check your firewall settings.

I just have one router and they are on the same subnet so that shouldn't be an issue. I probably have tried everything now but nothing seems to work
post #125 of 792 Old 05-17-2010, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatka View Post

I just have one router and they are on the same subnet so that shouldn't be an issue. I probably have tried everything now but nothing seems to work

You said: "shouldn't"? Almost like you have yet to actually confirm this, so if you want some additional tips...

I think that I asked this before, did you look in the DHCP clients table in the router? What are the 2 IP addresses assigned (PC and BD player)?

Also did you check in the BD player where it configures the LAN connection, what does it say there?

Al
post #126 of 792 Old 05-17-2010, 07:41 PM

First of all, I want to thank everyone that has posted here about samsung tv's and getting AllShare to work. I bought a 40LC630 this weekend, and I was about an hour away from going out to buy a pc to install XBMC on to play my media collection, when I decided to try this setup out. It's worked great so far.

Currently i'm using serviio (latest version) on a linux machine, and streaming all of my media over the lan connection to the TV. Basically all of it works right out of the box, except a few things. All the AVI's and MPG/MP4/M4V files I have seem to work. The only exception is MKV's. I'd say 90% or so work, but a few seem not to. All of the ones that don't are 1080p files, although not all 1080p files don't work. Some are fine.

So my question is basically, has anyone encountered this? If you know how to fix it I'd love to hear, but honestly I'm more interested in what it is that causes some to not work. They play fine on my computer using VLC and XBMC, and I am not sure what they have in common that is causing them to fail.

Any info would be appreciated. If you have any questions I can answer that would help diagnose the problem, let me know.
post #127 of 792 Old 05-17-2010, 07:47 PM

Open them in VLC and see what codecs they're using. Normally my TV tells me i'm using an unsupported audio codec or doesn't open at all if the video codec is unsupported. The only other thing I've noticed causing problems is weird punctuation in the file names.
post #128 of 792 Old 05-17-2010, 07:58 PM

They're all h264/x264. They're also DTS audio. I'm wondering if it might be the bitrate is too high? *shrug* The message I get is that the file is unsupported.
post #129 of 792 Old 05-18-2010, 12:08 AM

Almost positive the DTS is your problem. The TV can only do PCM and AC3/Dolby and can't make sense of the audio stream. I have a PN50B650 and it complains about the DTS although I get video with no sound at least. I've tried some excessively high bitrate stuff for testing and 50Mbit+ seemed to still work but hammered the network.

I tried converting everything to AC3 but you might be better off using one of the new bluray players instead. That's what I ended up doing and I find it simplifies the usage a bit over the TV as it's generally already configured in a manner for watching movies.
post #130 of 792 Old 05-18-2010, 06:36 AM

This may have already been asked or mentioned, but I can't find it in this thread. Has anyone gotten PCSM to successfully run under Windows 7? It will install just fine for me, but the UI hangs as soon as I start it up.
post #131 of 792 Old 05-18-2010, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Sherwood View Post

You said: "shouldn't"? Almost like you have yet to actually confirm this, so if you want some additional tips...

I think that I asked this before, did you look in the DHCP clients table in the router? What are the 2 IP addresses assigned (PC and BD player)?

Also did you check in the BD player where it configures the LAN connection, what does it say there?

Hey Al, I haven't been able to get a chance to check the router settings yet. Probably will do so over the weekend. Once I do that I will post my findings. It looks like I'm resigning (which I don't want to) to the fact that I can't stream my PC contents to my Blu-ray player
post #132 of 792 Old 05-18-2010, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnstoll View Post

First of all, I want to thank everyone that has posted here about samsung tv's and getting AllShare to work. I bought a 40LC630 this weekend, and I was about an hour away from going out to buy a pc to install XBMC on to play my media collection, when I decided to try this setup out. It's worked great so far.

Currently i'm using serviio (latest version) on a linux machine, and streaming all of my media over the lan connection to the TV. Basically all of it works right out of the box, except a few things. All the AVI's and MPG/MP4/M4V files I have seem to work. The only exception is MKV's. I'd say 90% or so work, but a few seem not to. All of the ones that don't are 1080p files, although not all 1080p files don't work. Some are fine.

So my question is basically, has anyone encountered this? If you know how to fix it I'd love to hear, but honestly I'm more interested in what it is that causes some to not work. They play fine on my computer using VLC and XBMC, and I am not sure what they have in common that is causing them to fail.

Any info would be appreciated. If you have any questions I can answer that would help diagnose the problem, let me know.

Your post title refers to 'serviio', I am not using that, I am using Samsung's PC Share Manager and with 720p files this far...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarchist4000 View Post

Almost positive the DTS is your problem. The TV can only do PCM and AC3/Dolby and can't make sense of the audio stream. I have a PN50B650 and it complains about the DTS although I get video with no sound at least. I've tried some excessively high bitrate stuff for testing and 50Mbit+ seemed to still work but hammered the network.

I tried converting everything to AC3 but you might be better off using one of the new bluray players instead. That's what I ended up doing and I find it simplifies the usage a bit over the TV as it's generally already configured in a manner for watching movies.

DTS is supported and according to the Samsung specifications for MKV's; DTS core, AC3, MP3, LPCM and ADPCM.

I have DTS working with files streamed from PC Share maanger and from an attached USB HDD to my PN58C550...

Al
post #133 of 792 Old 05-18-2010, 08:25 PM

I've noticed sometimes
All Share allows chaptering (on my LN46C650)
and sometimes not.

Anyone figured this out? Is it a format issue?
post #134 of 792 Old 05-18-2010, 09:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougPacker View Post

I've noticed sometimes
All Share allows chaptering (on my LN46C650)
and sometimes not.

Anyone figured this out? Is it a format issue?

What exactly do you mean by "chaptering"? On Video, Audio or Pictures...?

Al
post #135 of 792 Old 05-19-2010, 05:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Has anyone got Windows Media Player to be able to use the PCSM server?

[EDIT] Or Windows Media Center

post #136 of 792 Old 05-19-2010, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Another dislike of Allshare or the Samsung Blu-ray players renderer (likely the later)

Files get displayed in order added - not alphabetically. Only way I've found to resort is to unshare, then share and then refreash the Db

post #137 of 792 Old 05-20-2010, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Sherwood View Post

Al, I checked the DHCP clients table in my router yesterday night (after connecting my laptop through LAN cable and not wirelessly) and it showed both the IP addresses of the PC and Blu-ray player (can't remember the exact IP now ... but it was same except the last 3 digits xxx.xx.0.194 and xxx.xx.0.197). I also checked the blu-ray player LAN settings and the IP being shown there matched the one on the LAN clients of router.

But, whenever I restarted the router it reassigned a different IP to the blu-ray player, so can it be due to some settings in the router? If the IP address for the blu-ray/laptop keeps on changing dynamically it will be a problem. It's just strange that no one in this thread ever have faced this problem.
post #138 of 792 Old 05-20-2010, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatka View Post

Al, I checked the DHCP clients table in my router yesterday night (after connecting my laptop through LAN cable and not wirelessly) and it showed both the IP addresses of the PC and Blu-ray player (can't remember the exact IP now ... but it was same except the last 3 digits xxx.xx.0.194 and xxx.xx.0.197). I also checked the blu-ray player LAN settings and the IP being shown there matched the one on the LAN clients of router.

But, whenever I restarted the router it reassigned a different IP to the blu-ray player, so can it be due to some settings in the router? If the IP address for the blu-ray/laptop keeps on changing dynamically it will be a problem. It's just strange that no one in this thread ever have faced this problem.

Actually that shouldn't be a problem, even if the laptop comes up with a new IP address, once it starts the PC Share Manager services it should locate the BD player.

If you like you could assign static IP address to the BD player and see if that makes a difference, but as you say this hasn't been talked about much if at all because it shouldn't be an issue.

IT is clear that the router sees the BD player and assigns an IP address, but there is a problem regarding communication between the PC Share manger software and the BD player's application.

I suggest you try one of the 'other' DLNA server choices like serviio or JR Media Center on your laptop to test the BD's response.

If they can't talk to the BD player then you know the problem is with the BD player, if they can you could use them or completely de-install PC Share Manager and re-install (you could even try this first)... BTW see the post below, there is a new version of PC Share Manager (4.1) available from Samsung US

Al
post #139 of 792 Old 05-20-2010, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

BTW, there is a new version of PC Share Manager (4.1) available from Samsung US... Maybe some fixes or tweaks?

We'll see!

(The thumbnail below provides the URL, disregard the version number)
LL

Al
post #140 of 792 Old 05-20-2010, 10:44 AM

And any idea what changes/fixes this version has?

It took me a few minutes to figure out how to download it using that thumbnail so figured I'd save someone a few secs...

Direct download link: http://org.downloadcenter.samsung.co...5312/setup.exe

Now the big question is - will it allow upgrade from previous version? I haven't had a chance to try it yet. With the other versions I've tried, one had to completely uninstall the old version before installing the new version... I really don't want to wait another week for it to rebuild my database again unless they've fixed something significant (like keeping folder contents up to date)
post #141 of 792 Old 05-20-2010, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well you have to:

1) Uninstall PCSM 4.03
2) Install PCSM 4.10
3) Reset your devive policy
4) Reshare your folders
5) Refresh the Db

I don't see 'anything' within PCSM that has changed.

We I think we can safely see Samsung are not a software company

post #142 of 792 Old 05-20-2010, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma9o7 View Post

And any idea what changes/fixes this version has?

It took me a few minutes to figure out how to download it using that thumbnail so figured I'd save someone a few secs...

#1 open
http://www.samsung.com/us/support/do...ownloadMain.do
#2 enter a model number (BD-C5500 works) and hit product search, etc.
#3 Under download tab, select software sub-tab, and there it is.

Now the big question is - will it allow upgrade from previous version? I haven't had a chance to try it yet. With the other versions I've tried, one had to completely uninstall the old version before installing the new version... I really don't want to wait another week for it to rebuild my database again unless they've fixed something significant (like keeping folder contents up to date)

Thanks for providing the link, I tried to add it but for some reason everytime I sue the Samsung 'search for model' feature on that page it crashes IE8!

Unless a new software version automatically askes if I want to update an installed version I recommend going into the control panel or the programs own 'Uninstall' section to remove it before installing a new version. You never know what fixes may be hampered by old data or installation settings from the previous version.

I am checking the new version now but it looks very similar to the one it replaces. Give a few minutes for the 'Quick Start' report!

Al
post #143 of 792 Old 05-20-2010, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Well, after a few minutes of playing, I have to agree with BritInVA, I don't see any diferences other the the version number itself!

Anything that Samsung has changed is either buried within the processes or fixes something I didn't have issues with before...

It is really too bad they didn't include a revision document that provided what changes or fixes were made, really, how tough would that be?

Al
post #144 of 792 Old 05-20-2010, 01:51 PM

hi! i have just discover this forum and this thread, and maybe you can help me, because there are not many information about this.

i have installed the PC Share Manager and everything works great but the sharing folder window: i can only select folders from y desktop (default folder), any attempt of changing the folder, crashes the program and closes it. does anybody know why can this be happening? i am using vista home premium and nothing weird seems to happen.

thanks!
post #145 of 792 Old 05-20-2010, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga_pechorin View Post

hi! i have just discover this forum and this thread, and maybe you can help me, because there are not many information about this.

i have installed the PC Share Manager and everything works great but the sharing folder window: i can only select folders from y desktop (default folder), any attempt of changing the folder, crashes the program and closes it. does anybody know why can this be happening? i am using vista home premium and nothing weird seems to happen.

thanks!

Not heard of that - what operating system? Have tou tried the latest version (4.1).

post #146 of 792 Old 05-20-2010, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

thanks!

Vista Home Premium here as well, no issues changing the folder either in the older version 4.03 or the latest version 4.1

How, exactly are you changing the folder? Are you using the drop down button, the 'up folder' button or double clicking on a folder listed in the window below? BTW, all of these methods work fine for me.

Al
post #147 of 792 Old 05-20-2010, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

i am using vista home premium and nothing weird seems to happen.

thanks!

Dah - didn't spot that.

I'm using VHP to and no issues

post #148 of 792 Old 05-20-2010, 03:00 PM

i have the issue in both versions, 4.03 and 4.1 and in both ways, drop down and double clicking

it seems the error is related to file btwapi.dll, do you know what is it?

thanks for the answers guys

[EDIT] finally, i got it. that file is related with bluetooth, if i enable the bluetooth, it works fine. how this happen to you too?

another thing, does your computer a disgusting "bip" everytime you select a folder? i am start to think something is wrong in my computer...
post #149 of 792 Old 05-20-2010, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

i have the issue in both versions, 4.03 and 4.1 and in both ways, drop down and double clicking

it seems the error is related to file btwapi.dll, do you know what is it?

thanks for the answers guys

Hmmm, doesn't seem likely as that .dll is used by the Broadcom Bluetooth stack and should have nothing to do with AllShare...!?

yes, I get a (ding) sound just before it highlights the choice when double clicking in that GUI.

Curious, you are logged on as Administrator right?

Al
post #150 of 792 Old 05-20-2010, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

another thing, does your computer a disgusting "bip" everytime you select a folder?

Welcome to the world of software from a appliance manufacturer

I'm hoping at some point I can switch to Serviio but still be stuck with the function limited Samsung clients

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page