Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 03-29-2010, 07:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Click here to see the "HOW IT WORKS" video

To see the High Quality version of the above video, Click the "HQ" symbol in the lower right of the video window after clicking the play button.
This video was done with my cheap digital camera's "video" function. So the quality is pretty horrible.

This thread will contain the Pro's and Con's of the ROKU box and will include pictures of the video quality.

So far, I really like the ROKU box. The box itself is VERY VERY easy to setup and to work.

If you have netflix and an HDTV, I highly recommend you get one of these immediatly.

Netflix's selection of HD movies is very small right now (and consists manily of lox budget/non-blockbuster movies) but The selection of Standard Def movies to choose from is huge.

If your TV is good at upconverting Standard Def, then you will have a huge library of movies to choose from.

I watched a movie the other night that was standard definiton and it was just as good as DVD. This will vary between some people and will depend alot on your TV's scaler.
If you have a top-notch processor, then you will be in heaven.

Thanks!

Here is some info on it:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 03-29-2010, 08:15 AM

Liked: 10
Is this a normal thread or an advertisement?
post #3 of 12 Old 03-29-2010, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctor media View Post

Is this a normal thread or an advertisement?

I thought it was one of those font screen printouts for testing your printer to see how well it prints a font at different sizes

Seriously, what happened to just having a conversation using complete paragraphs to group your thoughts together? As opposed to spacing out each sentence and giving it a different size, as if that will make it easier to read.

Lastly, hasn't the Roku been available for a couple of years? Did somebody just get a new toy and feel like the rest of us are missing out?

-Suntan
post #4 of 12 Old 03-29-2010, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntan View Post

I thought it was one of those font screen printouts for testing your printer to see how well it prints a font at different sizes

Seriously, what happened to just having a conversation using complete paragraphs to group your thoughts together? As opposed to spacing out each sentence and giving it a different size, as if that will make it easier to read.

Lastly, hasn't the Roku been available for a couple of years? Did somebody just get a new toy and feel like the rest of us are missing out?

-Suntan

I had originally set this thread up on another site but the link got broken due to it pointing to another forum. l
I keep getting numerous private messages telling me that the link in my signature was broken and that some needed the info on the roku box, I decided to create this thread here so the info will be availible without having to link to another forum.

as my above post says, its still under construction and much more info, pictures, instructions are coming.

this info is useful to those who buy thier roku box today.
And many people are doing so.
post #5 of 12 Old 03-29-2010, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Okay here we go!!!

Here is how Netflix/Amazon works with the Roku Video streamer.

First you will go to your Account page and Go to the watch instantly Tab

*********IMPORTANT!!!!!!!!*********
IN ORDER TO WATCH HD MOVIES/SHOWS, YOU MUST GO TO "GENRES" AND THEN CLICK ON "HD"

HERE IS AN EXAMPLE:

[IMG][/IMG]

Then you find the movie you want to watch, and click "ADD TO INSTANT QUEUE"

Like this:

This will add the Movie to your "INSTANT QUEUE".

Like This.

Once you have added the Movie/Movies to your Queue, They immediatly show up in the netflix section of your ROKU box.
To get there turn your Roku box on.
The first menu that will display is the "HOME" Menu.

Like This:

Click on the Netflix logo and then this Window will display:.

Click on the Movie (In this case Pans labyrith), and this window will display:.

Click Play, and the movie will start .

Like this:.

post #6 of 12 Old 03-29-2010, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

This Movie (Pan's labyrinth) is in HD (720p). I am taking the pictures with a pretty cheap camera, so it looks better in person.
Here are some screen shots of the movie:

post #7 of 12 Old 03-29-2010, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

post #8 of 12 Old 03-30-2010, 09:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 25
do you have to be signed up for HD with Netflix in order to stream HD? I just have the 8.99 a month plan with just dvd and wondered about this. thanks for the info to what is probably a pretty basic question. (nice instructional video, will be using it when I get my router hooked up and connected to my Roku)

post #9 of 12 Old 04-01-2010, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subavision212 View Post

do you have to be signed up for HD with Netflix in order to stream HD? I just have the 8.99 a month plan with just dvd and wondered about this. thanks for the info to what is probably a pretty basic question. (nice instructional video, will be using it when I get my router hooked up and connected to my Roku)

No you are fine with the 8.99 plan.
Thats what i have
post #10 of 12 Old 04-07-2010, 09:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Boy, this is pretty amazing. Just got my router set up and just like that got to watch a movie I've been dying to see. And it was so easy to do, especially for someone like me who is definitely technology challenged. And it's funny to read a number of comments about the poor PQ quality but my cable modem is just under 2 and the picture looks amazing on my 37" Panasonic HD(720) LCD. man, am I glad I signed up for this. now all I need to do is find everything that's available to check things out. Did find the Drive Inn channel and they have some great old horror and sci-fi flicks I haven't seen since I was a kid as well as others I want to check out. not bad for 3.00. Anybody got suggestions where to go from here or what's good to add please let me know. thanks so much.

post #11 of 12 Old 04-08-2010, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

I did have a question about the Roku and watching a streamed movie from Netflix. If I decide to not finish watching the movie, how do I stop it? Do I just hit the home button? What if I wanted to start watching another film instead? Can I just switch films? Talked to CS at Netfix and even though she was very nice, she didn't really give me a definitive answer. thanks.

post #12 of 12 Old 04-12-2010, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subavision212 View Post

I did have a question about the Roku and watching a streamed movie from Netflix. If I decide to not finish watching the movie, how do I stop it? Do I just hit the home button? What if I wanted to start watching another film instead? Can I just switch films? Talked to CS at Netfix and even though she was very nice, she didn't really give me a definitive answer. thanks.

While watching the streaming movie on the roku box thru netflix,
Press the UP button (the arrow pointing up).
This should stop the movie where you were watching it.
To start the movie back where you left off, just go back into the movie and click the "resume playing" button.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page