Logitech Squeezebox Touch Owners Thread - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 1058 Old 12-31-2010, 12:38 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Hello, I am new to this forum, also to networking. I just began experimenting with this the other day by listening to Pandora and Slacker on my Blu-ray player. But I had an issue in that I didn't want to have to navigate thru the tv. So, I looked around for a small LCD screen with a video (composite) in, but the only things like this were portable dvd-players, and most of those didn't have inputs. Then I happened by the Sony store and saw their Dash-I am trying it, but not ideal-need to run audio out from headphone to AV receiver. Sound quality is pretty good, but not as good as listening from the Blu-ray player. So, I now have discovered the Squeezebox and have a couple of questions that I would like your input on.
Since the screen on the squeezebox is much smaller than the Dash, is this an issue trying to read the album details? And secondly, does the remote use any new-fangled code (like XMP-protocol) that would prevent me from programming its functions into my URC 200 Automator (old model remote)?
Guess the remote is sort of an after-thought though, since I assume you have to be close to the screen to see what you are navigating, correct?
Thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 1058 Old 12-31-2010, 05:01 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmunster2 View Post

Hello, I am new to this forum, also to networking. I just began experimenting with this the other day by listening to Pandora and Slacker on my Blu-ray player. But I had an issue in that I didn't want to have to navigate thru the tv. So, I looked around for a small LCD screen with a video (composite) in, but the only things like this were portable dvd-players, and most of those didn't have inputs. Then I happened by the Sony store and saw their Dash-I am trying it, but not ideal-need to run audio out from headphone to AV receiver. Sound quality is pretty good, but not as good as listening from the Blu-ray player. So, I now have discovered the Squeezebox and have a couple of questions that I would like your input on.
Since the screen on the squeezebox is much smaller than the Dash, is this an issue trying to read the album details? And secondly, does the remote use any new-fangled code (like XMP-protocol) that would prevent me from programming its functions into my URC 200 Automator (old model remote)?
Guess the remote is sort of an after-thought though, since I assume you have to be close to the screen to see what you are navigating, correct?
Thanks for your help.

As a new user myself let me try and answer your questions.
  1. Screen size appears to be small, but the fonts get bigger if you use the remote. Comfortable to read at a distance of about four feet. But why depend on the screen? One can always use an Iphone or Android app to control the device. Will try to post some pictures of the screen later.
  2. Dont know about the remote control protocols, but my Touch integrated with the Harmony One like a breeze. Maybe its time to ditch that URC 200 and invest in a new Harmony?

Edit:

Added the pictures I promised

SB Touch in "Touch Mode"

SB Touch in "Remote Mode" - Notice the fonts get bigger
post #273 of 1058 Old 12-31-2010, 06:26 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolstoi View Post

I about to procure the SB Touch but I am a bit worried about speed. My file server includes 1000 cds in flac format*. This is about 13000 files. Can the SB Touch handle such a library?

One of the reason I am currently using a PC and Foobar is to be able to perform search.

Now I need to add music in two additional rooms and don`t like the idea of adding a pc in these rooms.

The SB Touch seams to be a nice option.

I know there are no keyboards but is it possible to perform search with key words?

It's not the Touch that would handle that - it is just afile streamer and DAC basically. It is the Squeeebox Server software which would handle and manage the music files, no matter what your device. And it is well capable of that. I think I have about 900GB of music on my server, comprising the equivalent of several thousands of albums in lossless format and MP3 - and the server software handles it just fine. I think the best version is Squeezebox server 7.51, always avoid the betas.
post #274 of 1058 Old 01-01-2011, 12:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullerms View Post

As a new user myself let me try and answer your questions.
  1. Screen size appears to be small, but the fonts get bigger if you use the remote. Comfortable to read at a distance of about four feet. But why depend on the screen? One can always use an Iphone or Android app to control the device. Will try to post some pictures of the screen later.
  2. Dont know about the remote control protocols, but my Touch integrated with the Harmony One like a breeze. Maybe its time to ditch that URC 200 and invest in a new Harmony?

Edit:

Added the pictures I promised

SB Touch in "Touch Mode"

SB Touch in "Remote Mode" - Notice the fonts get bigger

Just wanted to say thanks for the pics.
post #275 of 1058 Old 01-01-2011, 06:24 AM

I have a usb hard disk with an external power supply attached to the touch, and I am able to play music off the disk. However, the touch seems to be laggy when I use squeeze control for android to search music or navigate play lists. The touch even crashed on a couple of occasions.

Anyone else face such issues? Will the situation improve if I used a dedicated squeeze centre server?
post #276 of 1058 Old 01-01-2011, 09:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:

I have a usb hard disk with an external power supply attached to the touch, and I am able to play music off the disk. However, the touch seems to be laggy when I use squeeze control for android to search music or navigate play lists. The touch even crashed on a couple of occasions.

Anyone else face such issues? Will the situation improve if I used a dedicated squeeze centre server?

Yes and yes.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #277 of 1058 Old 01-02-2011, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Hello all,

Can somebody either point me to a source of information, or just explain how the software is to use (I guess the server software.)

How convenient is it? I mean can you sit at your computer and use your mouse to search for and listen to (audition) songs, albums, and radio stations? And then can you just add songs, albums, and radio stations to playlists easily?

For reference I am used to this functionality with iTunes. I looked into the SONOS desktop product and you can not listen to anything with your computer.

So that's what I'm specifically looking for. Do you have to use the remote to build playlists or favorites, or can you do this more conveniently at a computer.

Then .... does this work in the same way installing the server software in a NAS? Can I do the playlist creation at my computer?

Hope these questions make sense.
post #278 of 1058 Old 01-02-2011, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjgarrison View Post

Hello all,

Can somebody either point me to a source of information, or just explain how the software is to use (I guess the server software.)

How convenient is it? I mean can you sit at your computer and use your mouse to search for and listen to (audition) songs, albums, and radio stations? And then can you just add songs, albums, and radio stations to playlists easily?

For reference I am used to this functionality with iTunes. I looked into the SONOS desktop product and you can not listen to anything with your computer.

So that's what I'm specifically looking for. Do you have to use the remote to build playlists or favorites, or can you do this more conveniently at a computer.

Then .... does this work in the same way installing the server software in a NAS? Can I do the playlist creation at my computer?

Hope these questions make sense.

You're kind of asking two different questions. But if you're looking for the Server software to be a "player" at your omputer...like iTunes...it's not.

CD

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
post #279 of 1058 Old 01-02-2011, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

Yes and yes.

Ok thanks. Will look into setting up a dedicated Squeezecentre server. What is the general feedback on using a sheevaplug or Tonido plug for the server? I am leaning towards one of those or might get a Seagate Dockstar and run the squeezeplug version of the software.

Any inputs?
post #280 of 1058 Old 01-02-2011, 05:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post

You're kind of asking two different questions. But if you're looking for the Server software to be a "player" at your omputer...like iTunes...it's not.

CD

There are SqueezeBox emulators that run on PC. I use one on my office PC all the time. Look up SqueezeCenter or SqueezePlay, etc.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #281 of 1058 Old 01-02-2011, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post

You're kind of asking two different questions. But if you're looking for the Server software to be a "player" at your computer...like iTunes...it's not.

CD

Quote:

There are SqueezeBox emulators that run on PC. I use one on my office PC all the time. Look up SqueezeCenter or SqueezePlay, etc.

Thank you guys. I'm not so much looking for something that simply is a "player" at my computer. I already have that, as no doubt we all do.

The functionality I'm looking for is the ability to put something that is playing in a favorites list or playlist.

Am I correct in assuming that managing favorites lists or playlists from the server software with a PC is a given (albeit with no listening involved?)

I also assume, Kal, that the programs you listed, while allowing for playback, would not allow for managing favorites/playlists. Is this correct?

Do you think I'm making too much about the listening part before adding to playlists? This is how I have used iTunes and it is VERY convenient. It is unusual for me to want to add more than a few songs from any given CD to my "Favorites" playlist.

Perhaps there is a way to have iTunes be in a NAS so I can mooch the iTunes playlists without having to have my PC with iTunes "on".
post #282 of 1058 Old 01-02-2011, 06:24 PM

Quote:

Thank you guys. I'm not so much looking for something that simply is a "player" at my computer. I already have that, as no doubt we all do.

The functionality I'm looking for is the ability to put something that is playing in a favorites list or playlist.

Am I correct in assuming that managing favorites lists or playlists from the server software with a PC is a given (albeit with no listening involved?)

I also assume, Kal, that the programs you listed, while allowing for playback, would not allow for managing favorites/playlists. Is this correct?

Do you think I'm making too much about the listening part before adding to playlists? This is how I have used iTunes and it is VERY convenient. It is unusual for me to want to add more than a few songs from any given CD to my "Favorites" playlist.

Perhaps there is a way to have iTunes be in a NAS so I can mooch the iTunes playlists without having to have my PC with iTunes "on".

It appears that it is possible to integrate iTunes and Squeezebox server. Details here
post #283 of 1058 Old 01-02-2011, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It appears that it is possible to integrate iTunes and Squeezebox server. Details here

Thanks, but that means computer always ON and iTunes loaded, right?

I'd like to find something I can just have in the one thing that's always going to be ON, my NAS.
post #284 of 1058 Old 01-02-2011, 07:46 PM

Don't may NAS boxes run iTunes or some Third Party port of iTunes?

http://www.qnap.com/pro_features_iTunes.asp
http://www.synology.com/enu/products...res/itunes.php

Google is your friend
post #285 of 1058 Old 01-02-2011, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Don't may NAS boxes run iTunes or some Third Party port of iTunes?

http://www.qnap.com/pro_features_iTunes.asp
http://www.synology.com/enu/products...res/itunes.php

Google is your friend

Yes, I have a Synology NAS. It does have the iTunes server capability, but it does not include the iTunes player, where playlists are kept. I can play the content of the itunes music on the NAS one album or song at a time. No playlists are apparently kept there. They are on the PC. I've been looking for a way to store them on the NAS, but so far no success.
post #286 of 1058 Old 01-02-2011, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member

With multiple players is the sync flawless, or are there problems?
post #287 of 1058 Old 01-02-2011, 09:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by colo-colo View Post

CDLehner,
you were right. With a coax cable, SB Touch worked fine with FLAC 24/192.

Thanks
Enrique

This great!
post #288 of 1058 Old 01-02-2011, 09:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The squeeze box touch actually has an on screen keyboard. You can also search using an iphone/android app.

I haven`t see that in the user manual.
post #289 of 1058 Old 01-03-2011, 06:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:

With multiple players is the sync flawless, or are there problems?

I don't think any of my network devices are flawless. I do have some that work really well, like the Squeezebox.

A Nice Radio Station with Great Music. For Those That Like That Sort of Thing:

post #290 of 1058 Old 01-03-2011, 06:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Dunno. Never use playlists.

Quote:

See above.

OTOH, the programs I referred to are free to download, so you could actually try them and find out for yourself if they meet your needs.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #291 of 1058 Old 01-03-2011, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks, but that means computer always ON and iTunes loaded, right?

I'd like to find something I can just have in the one thing that's always going to be ON, my NAS.

This is exactly my concerns. All my files are on a linux based NAS that is always up and running. Does it mean that I also have to have teh Squeezebox server running somewhere?
post #292 of 1058 Old 01-03-2011, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolstoi View Post

This is exactly my concerns. All my files are on a linux based NAS that is always up and running. Does it mean that I also have to have teh Squeezebox server running somewhere?

Yes, in order to have the Squeezeserver serve files to the Squeezebox, it does need to be running somewhere. In your case, that could very well be on your NAS. Try looking up the model number and see if people have successfully run SBS on it.
post #293 of 1058 Old 01-03-2011, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

I guess I need to play with windows version of squeeze center to understand how this is configured.

To avoid having a PC I could also install the linux version but I am not really pleased with the idea of playing around with the NAS software (openfiler).
post #294 of 1058 Old 01-03-2011, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugnax555 View Post

Yes, in order to have the Squeezeserver serve files to the Squeezebox, it does need to be running somewhere. In your case, that could very well be on your NAS. Try looking up the model number and see if people have successfully run SBS on it.

Yesterday I tried to find out if it was done somewhere but could not find anything.
post #295 of 1058 Old 01-03-2011, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Got it!

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.ph...tallationGuide

Not really strait foward. I guess I will need to perform a serious backup before trying that!!
post #296 of 1058 Old 01-03-2011, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

There's quite a bit going on there, but thankfully it looks like somebody has put together scripts to handle the difficult parts. Still, it definitely looks like something I'd want to spend some time going over before doing it for real, though. And yeah, absolutely make sure you have a backup first.
post #297 of 1058 Old 01-03-2011, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Dunno. Never use playlists.

See above.

OTOH, the programs I referred to are free to download, so you could actually try them and find out for yourself if they meet your needs.

I was thinking of doing Just that, but not sure if they would work without a player, which I do not yet own.
post #298 of 1058 Old 01-04-2011, 04:55 AM

Is it possible to build and edit playlists for the SB Touch off a PC? Want to give the wife and kid a decent interface they can use to build their playlists and maintain them. The screen on the SB Touch is nice, but is a real PITA to use for such purposes.

I have read about apps like squeezeplay, but cant seem to find a download. Anyone can help?
post #299 of 1058 Old 01-04-2011, 04:06 PM

Hello all,
has anyone tried the Halide Design S/PDIF Bridge USB-S/PDIF (reviewed in Stereophile) converter with Squeezebox Touch? I am planning to plug the SB Touch to a Classé SSP-800 via the Halide Bridge, but I am not sure if the SB Touch USB can power up the Halide Bridge...
Thanks
Enrique
post #300 of 1058 Old 01-04-2011, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colo-colo View Post

Hello all,
has anyone tried the Halide Design S/PDIF Bridge USB-S/PDIF (reviewed in Stereophile) converter with Squeezebox Touch? I am planning to plug the SB Touch to a Classé SSP-800 via the Halide Bridge, but I am not sure if the SB Touch USB can power up the Halide Bridge...
Thanks
Enrique

So, you want USB into your ssp?
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Logitech Inc Squeezebox Touch Catalog Category Distributed Audio Video Multiroom Solutions

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page