Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 1055 Old 02-02-2011, 08:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

Are you using the volume control in the SBT? It loses resolution with attenuation so it is best left full up and certainly over 80-85%.

Kal, CD,

Yes, I keep the volume on the SBT and all volume controls in iTunes (whether it matters or not) on 100%. I understand that bits are lost otherwise. Volume control is done with the system.

CD, I will PM you shortly, would like your input on DAC recommendations...

Thanks for your help,

Brad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 1055 Old 02-08-2011, 07:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Just a quick heads-up.

"From February 15 you will need to be a subscriber to listen to Last.fm Radio stations on devices, including your Logitech SqueezeNetwork player.

No other features are affected by this change."

http://blog.last.fm/2011/02/07/lastf...inment-devices

http://www.last.fm/help/faq?category=104#508

A Nice Radio Station with Great Music. For Those That Like That Sort of Thing: RadioParadise.com

post #363 of 1055 Old 02-08-2011, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

Are you using the volume control in the SBT? It loses resolution with attenuation so it is best left full up and certainly over 80-85%.

A little bit of a WAF issue with the need to go back and forth between the two remotes and/or two programs in an iPod/Pad/Phone.

Not a showstopper here, though: The SBT is for me and my hi-rez music.

Wife gets the Sonos Zoneplayer Touch. She doesnt even know the SBT is there and couldn't hear the difference anyway. At least I think I can.
post #364 of 1055 Old 02-11-2011, 01:03 AM

Liked: 10
Hey guys quick question....?

Edit: never mind, rookie mistake. Had some folders incorrectly named in sb server.

Now that it's hooked up and running correctly I'm can't heap enough praise on it so far. Even listening to compressed mp3 sounds better compared to the airport express I used to use. But when I put some hi res 96khz 24bit music on, it well and trully passes the AE for music quality. makes me wonder why I put off getting one for so long. AWESOME!!!
post #365 of 1055 Old 02-11-2011, 05:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by bushy81 View Post

Hey guys quick question....?

Edit: never mind, rookie mistake. Had some folders incorrectly named in sb server.

Now that it's hooked up and running correctly I'm can't heap enough praise on it so far. Even listening to compressed mp3 sounds better compared to the airport express I used to use. But when I put some hi res 96khz 24bit music on, it well and trully passes the AE for music quality. makes me wonder why I put off getting one for so long. AWESOME!!!

I have to say...I don't ever hear anything but bad things about Airport Express. I guess for some people it's a necessary evil...but it sounds like a choice to avoid, if you can.

CD

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
post #366 of 1055 Old 02-11-2011, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post

I have to say...I don't ever hear anything but bad things about Airport Express. I guess for some people it's a necessary evil...but it sounds like a choice to avoid, if you can.

CD

Not certainly from me. The airport express is an amazing little product for $99. bit perfect CD audio, wifi router bridge, USB printserver all in the package the size of a hockey puck.

as you know I just dumped my logitech SB setup for a 2nd apple AE setup and couldn't be happier. It works more reliably than SB without the added pain of Squeezecenter or what ever its called these days.

I don't buy the SQ argument on standard CD material with digital output. JA at stereophile tested it and its bit perfect. Clearly HD audio is not its strength and the SB solutions clearly have an advantage there. At least on the digital outputs. My SB3 had much better sounding DACs and analog stages than the AE (never compared to the Duets). Still not as good as my outboard DAC but a large improvement over the AE.

Sean
post #367 of 1055 Old 02-11-2011, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean_w_smith View Post
Not certainly from me. The airport express is an amazing little product for $99. bit perfect CD audio, wifi router bridge, USB printserver all in the package the size of a hockey puck.

as you know I just dumped my logitech SB setup for a 2nd apple AE setup and couldn't be happier. It works more reliably than SB without the added pain of Squeezecenter or what ever its called these days.

I don't buy the SQ argument on standard CD material with digital output. JA at stereophile tested it and its bit perfect. Clearly HD audio is not its strength and the SB solutions clearly have an advantage there. At least on the digital outputs. My SB3 had much better sounding DACs and analog stages than the AE (never compared to the Duets). Still not as good as my outboard DAC but a large improvement over the AE.

Sean
Yeah to be honest the only complaint i had with the AE was that i couldnt play my hi res collection in all its glory. The AE does what it does knowing it's limitations but for the money its a great bit of kit i think. Im going to connect it to another input in my receiver thats hooked up to the whole house audio, keep the SB for the main room. My only problem im having is with SBserver, seems whenever i turn the SB off and then back on later on in the day, that the server forgets some of my music, like in the settings last night before i went to bed it stated it could see over 10000 songs from so many artists but this morning it could only see 3500 songs, is this always going to be the case that i need to rescan before i use it? or should i leave the SB on all the time?
post #368 of 1055 Old 02-11-2011, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

That shouldn't happen. Are you using the server in the Touch or are you running the server on a PC. The Touch never really turns off unless you remove power.
post #369 of 1055 Old 02-11-2011, 04:29 PM

Yeah I'm using my Mac as the server side. I thought it may be because I'm using a harmony one remote to control my 'activities' it's actually switching it off. But it's now happened three or four times. I've just deselected 'use iTunes' box in the preferences pane so I might try see if that changes things.
post #370 of 1055 Old 02-12-2011, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

If you use the server on your Mac exclusively, all of the music information is stored in your server database. It shouldn't matter what you do to the Touch, the data should remain in the server database unless you have auto-rescan enabled and the scan occurs at a time when a drive is unavailable.

If you plug a USB drive into the Touch, you are then using the TinySB server in the Touch and will not be able to see the music stored in the SB server on the Mac. You should never have to rescan Mac server database unless you add new music to that server. I think the TinySB server on the Touch does a rescan everytime you plug a USB drive in. If you aren't plugging in USB drives you should contact Logitech support.
post #371 of 1055 Old 02-13-2011, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcemanDallas View Post

If you use the server on your Mac exclusively, all of the music information is stored in your server database. It shouldn't matter what you do to the Touch, the data should remain in the server database unless you have auto-rescan enabled and the scan occurs at a time when a drive is unavailable.

If you plug a USB drive into the Touch, you are then using the TinySB server in the Touch and will not be able to see the music stored in the SB server on the Mac. You should never have to rescan Mac server database unless you add new music to that server. I think the TinySB server on the Touch does a rescan everytime you plug a USB drive in. If you aren't plugging in USB drives you should contact Logitech support.

Yeah that's what I thought. So what I did was a full rescan in the squeezebox server on my Mac. Wa La, kazaam, all done. Now it's all running sweetly. And how sweet it is, what a bit of kit this thing is. Loving the sound it puts out,
post #372 of 1055 Old 02-14-2011, 02:01 PM

I plan on buying a Touch with the Vortexbox from Small Green Computer. Couple questions. Is the Touch going to be updated anytime soon? Touch 2 or should I just order the current one. If anybody using this combo and can you comment? I like the fact I can just buy it and start ripping my collection and it sounds like they work well together. Also, is anybody using a outboard DAC with it or should I just use the DAC in my Integra DHC 40.1?

Thanks
post #373 of 1055 Old 02-14-2011, 03:30 PM

Got my Squeezebox touch today, wow, what an amazing little gadget. Had it hooked up and running in about 15-20 min without even opening the book. I bought it mainly to play all the extra music on my computer, but I'm actually seriously considering replacing my 2 jukebox cd players and just ripping all my cd collection to this little thing. I was afraid it would be hard to use, but it couldn't be easier, I am in love with this thing!!

For those worried about the sound, I have it hooked to Parasound Halo gear/Dali Helicon 800s and I find it sounds pretty darn impressive. So far I've only played my computer mp3s(some average quality), so I imagine with ripped lossless cd's, it'll sound amazing.

Lovin' my new toy!!
post #374 of 1055 Old 02-15-2011, 12:06 AM

Welcome to the club. When I bought my SB touch, it essentially ' liberated' our entire music collection.

Now I am buying CDs on a regular basis to rip and replace all those mp3 tracks in my collection.
post #375 of 1055 Old 02-15-2011, 04:11 AM

Ok for the past two or three days its been playing the game but I just went to listen to some music and for some reason the server says I only have 1120 songs. Hard to believe really when yesterday it was filled with over 10000 songs. I know it's the servers problem but I can't understand why it's doing it. The only thing I can currently put it down to is that I'm trying to access the server whilst my Mac is in sleep mode. If anyone else is having this minor problem please let me know. I'll have a play around and see if I wake my Mac up first if I get the same problem.
post #376 of 1055 Old 02-24-2011, 04:33 PM

Guys,
Theres a report that Apple is going to sell 24 bit music on itunes.

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/365467/2...more-for-music

Theres still hope to get popular music in 24 bit quality?
post #377 of 1055 Old 02-25-2011, 02:07 PM

I'd like to stream Linn Radio, other Internet Radio stations, or even services like Rhapsody and Pandora from my desktop at work. Since I'm used to the SB UI, I thought I'd like to use SqueezePlay.

Is that what it's even called still...and why is it so hard to find?

MrDCI
post #378 of 1055 Old 02-25-2011, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterDCI View Post

I'd like to stream Linn Radio, other Internet Radio stations, or even services like Rhapsody and Pandora from my desktop at work. Since I'm used to the SB UI, I thought I'd like to use SqueezePlay.

MrDCI

You can download SqueezePlay from the nightly builds page. Here's the slimdevices wiki page for it. No idea why they bury it and make it nearly impossible to find.
post #379 of 1055 Old 02-25-2011, 03:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterDCI View Post

MrDCI

It is and it still works. I understand there are newer, similar programs but I have not tried them.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #380 of 1055 Old 02-25-2011, 07:09 PM

This SBT is awesome! I am an Ipod user through my itransport and I listen a lot in 2 channel audio. Most of my listening is done with the silver discs and my ipod. When I bought this device, my primary purpose was just internet radio. I cant imagine that all my itunes music can now be controlled by the touch of my fingertip. No hassles!

Now, I have three options-to go CD, ipod, and now SBT
post #381 of 1055 Old 02-25-2011, 09:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Gave it a look, and it does something that I like very much; namely, allow me to find, listen to, and add to favorites internet radio stations- all with the convenience of a mouse and keyboard.

Of course favorites can also be selected from My Music. Convenient.

As to actually listening to music, it isn't that good. It stutters and re-buffers frequently with hirez files. This is on the same PC that the files are on, so it isn't a network thing. Perhaps there is a setting I'm missing, but I did look.

Even when it runs smoothly it isn't even close to Fubar2000 in audio quality. I have no reason when I want to listen to my ripped/downloaed music at my computer to use anything other than Fubar. For radio listening SqueezePlayer is decent to navigate around in, but all the stations I found so far were fairly lowrez (64K).

I'm not interested in synchronized playback but have to doubt it wouldn't be useful, at least in my setup.
post #382 of 1055 Old 02-26-2011, 04:55 PM

Maybe it has a problem with hi-rez? I haven't had so much as one stutter on mine since I got it, and as for sound quality, I can't really tell it from the original ripped cd.

I just discovered the web remote today....another awesome feature to play with.
post #383 of 1055 Old 02-26-2011, 09:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewel5 View Post
Maybe it has a problem with hi-rez? I haven't had so much as one stutter on mine since I got it, and as for sound quality, I can't really tell it from the original ripped cd.

I just discovered the web remote today....another awesome feature to play with.
I'll check some 16/41 rips and report back.

By web remote do you mean iPeng?
post #384 of 1055 Old 02-27-2011, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHT View Post
I plan on buying a Touch with the Vortexbox from Small Green Computer. Couple questions. Is the Touch going to be updated anytime soon? Touch 2 or should I just order the current one. If anybody using this combo and can you comment? I like the fact I can just buy it and start ripping my collection and it sounds like they work well together. Also, is anybody using a outboard DAC with it or should I just use the DAC in my Integra DHC 40.1?

Thanks
I use this combo plus a WD 1 Tb USB drive for back-up. I am a convert to this medium. My wife got me the set-up for christmas and I've ripped close to 1000 CDs, in flac, since. The VBA works great, it has about a 95% success rate retrieving the the correct artwork and tags. To edit the occasional error I use MP3Tag. I also use EAC to rip disks the VBA won't do. Classical music can be a challenge for tags and artwork, I am fussy about my data base. I started a thread at the slim devices forum. Its tittle "Newbie has questions for the Experts" It's about 14 pages long, mostly my questions. Some very knowledgeable people have given me great advice. Check it out. I go digital to my Denon AVR and don't use an external DAC, though many do. I have both the VBA and SBT hardwired via ethernet cable to my router. Sonically I can't tell the difference between discs played on my Oppo BD83 and the SBT.

tmoss
post #385 of 1055 Old 02-27-2011, 07:17 PM
EJD

Couple silly questions:

1) Can the SBT access files if the laptop on which they are stored is in hibernate mode?

2) How long is the supplied AC cord?

Thanks
post #386 of 1055 Old 02-27-2011, 10:02 PM

Even more sillier question

Can I play multichannel hi-res music through the SBT assuming I hook it up using Digital connections to the AVR?
post #387 of 1055 Old 03-02-2011, 04:27 AM

Guys,
I just got an email from hd tracks advertising high res music from ' Rolling Stones' . Anyone got to try those tracks? Any feedback on quality?
post #388 of 1055 Old 03-02-2011, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmauceri View Post

I use this combo plus a WD 1 Tb USB drive for back-up. I am a convert to this medium. My wife got me the set-up for christmas and I've ripped close to 1000 CDs, in flac, since. The VBA works great, it has about a 95% success rate retrieving the the correct artwork and tags. To edit the occasional error I use MP3Tag. I also use EAC to rip disks the VBA won't do. Classical music can be a challenge for tags and artwork, I am fussy about my data base. I started a thread at the slim devices forum. Its tittle "Newbie has questions for the Experts" It's about 14 pages long, mostly my questions. Some very knowledgeable people have given me great advice. Check it out. I go digital to my Denon AVR and don't use an external DAC, though many do. I have both the VBA and SBT hardwired via ethernet cable to my router. Sonically I can't tell the difference between discs played on my Oppo BD83 and the SBT.

Thanks for the response. The Vortex Box appliance look like a good deal to me. I do have a question you might be able to answer. The reason I would like the VB is the ease of ripping my cd collection and the integration with the Touch, but I do have a bunch of Itunes purchases on a laptop. Is there a way to move them to the Vortex Box so all my music is in one place?
post #389 of 1055 Old 03-02-2011, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHT View Post
Thanks for the response. The Vortex Box appliance look like a good deal to me. I do have a question you might be able to answer. The reason I would like the VB is the ease of ripping my cd collection and the integration with the Touch, but I do have a bunch of Itunes purchases on a laptop. Is there a way to move them to the Vortex Box so all my music is in one place?
Yes just connect to your network with your laptop. Go to my Network Places locate the VBA, click on it then open files/music. in the music folder there will be folders for flac and mp3s. Drag your musics files into the appropriate folder. I do this when I use EAC to rip disks the VBA won't. You can edit tags with mp3tag by accessing the VBA via your network also. The VBA does a good job retrieving artwork and attributing tags but it's not perfect.

tmoss
post #390 of 1055 Old 03-02-2011, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJD View Post

Couple silly questions:

1) Can the SBT access files if the laptop on which they are stored is in hibernate mode?

2) How long is the supplied AC cord?

Thanks

Not sure about number two I think about 1.5m

As for the laptop I don't think you can. I had the same problem with my Mac. When it is asleep the server can't find the tracks. Only Internet radio was working for mine so I set the Mac not to sleep and just force sleep it when I'm finished. This fixed the problem.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Logitech Inc Squeezebox Touch Catalog Category Distributed Audio Video Multiroom Solutions

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page