Logitech Squeezebox Touch Owners Thread - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 1058 Old 07-21-2011, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Hmm, what's the great Crutchfield deal? Thanks.

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 1058 Old 07-21-2011, 01:31 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
229.99 w/ Free Shipping:

http://dealnews.com/Logitech-Squeeze...ng/481694.html

I just tried the coupon code and it is still active.
post #453 of 1058 Old 07-21-2011, 04:37 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IA_Hi_Fi_Guy View Post

I took advantage of the great Crutchfield deal and have a SBT enroute. Question for you guys. If I want to use the Touch on two difference sound systems (not at the same time), can I split the digital signal using a simple coax splitter? Will the digital signal be degraded?

The SBT has analog, optical and spdif outputs. And I think they are all active at the same time.

Avoid using the splitter.
post #454 of 1058 Old 07-22-2011, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

IA_Hi_Fi_Guy, thanks for the deal info. It was enough to push me over to get the SB Touch for my dedicated HT. Already have a SB Radio for family room.

post #455 of 1058 Old 07-22-2011, 09:15 AM

Yeah, that deal is what pushed it over the edge for me as well.

I'm leaning towards getting a VortexBox Appliance to feed the Touch so that I don't have to keep my laptop on 24/7. From the touch, I would like to feed two sound systems. I'd like one of those systems to be fed to a DAC and then through my home theater system. My understanding is that converting the USB port to be used as an "out" results in the best sound. But then I believe that makes the other audio outs inactive on the touch. Are there DAC's that have multiple outputs that can be active at the same time? I'm a total noob when it comes to DAC's.
post #456 of 1058 Old 07-22-2011, 10:31 AM

After some more reading, it appears that unless one already owns a high-end DAC with USB only input, that I would be better off just using the S/PDIF out from the Touch to a DAC of my choice that accepts S/PDIF.

Then I can simultaneously use the Coax out and Analog out to feed two more systems. Of course I would need a convenient way to control the touch from the two additional systems (i.e. Apple Touch). Is that accurate and doable?

That would be a pretty reasonably priced way to get access to all of our music to 3 areas of our home.
post #457 of 1058 Old 07-22-2011, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

I've only ripped a few of my CD's to my home server. I'm more a video guy and don't know as much about audio. I was ripping to 320kbps MP3's. Should I go FLAC for the rest of my CD collection (a couple hundred)? If so, which app and what settings? Thanks.

post #458 of 1058 Old 07-22-2011, 11:15 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh View Post

I've only ripped a few of my CD's to my home server. I'm more a video guy and don't know as much about audio. I was ripping to 320kbps MP3's. Should I go FLAC for the rest of my CD collection (a couple hundred)? If so, which app and what settings? Thanks.

I use dBPoweramp to rip to lossless FLAC using the default settings. The Touch plays them just fine and they sound great.

Cheers,

Jeff

SXRD/Denon/OPPO/HTPC/PS4/PS3/XB360/NHT/HSU
PSN ID: Krondorian
XBL ID: Midkemian
West Coast
Twitter: @Krondo_jd
post #459 of 1058 Old 07-22-2011, 01:42 PM

I use the coax digital output to an outboard DAC. Don't see whey you couldn't use the other outputs simultaneously. Of course you would have to listen to the same music in all locations.
post #460 of 1058 Old 07-22-2011, 01:53 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
Quote:

I was ripping to 320kbps MP3's. Should I go FLAC for the rest of my CD
collection (a couple hundred)?

I switched from MP3 to FLAC a few years ago. They require a lot more space
but have the same audio quality as the original. It's not been my experience
that they sound any better than 320kbps MP3s (which is quite a good format.)

When I want MP3 files for my car stereo, I just convert some of the FLAC files.

Quote:

If so, which app and what settings? Thanks.

Personally, I like EAC. It's at least as good at ripping as the others and it's free.
On the downside, other applications such as dbPowerAmp provide an easier-to-
use interface.
post #461 of 1058 Old 07-22-2011, 02:15 PM

Other than the 96/24 support, is there any sonic advantage over using an Apple TV?
post #462 of 1058 Old 08-06-2011, 05:11 PM

Any idea what the new firmware update does for squeezebox server?
post #463 of 1058 Old 08-06-2011, 08:01 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by xMEATx View Post

See here:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/announcement.php?f=2
post #464 of 1058 Old 08-07-2011, 07:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by xMEATx View Post

Basically, it buggers things up. 7.6 was not ready for release and has caused lots of problems for lots of people. Wait for 7.6.1. The nightly builds are getting pretty good (I had to use one to get my album art back).

Mike
post #465 of 1058 Old 08-08-2011, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IA_Hi_Fi_Guy View Post

After some more reading, it appears that unless one already owns a high-end DAC with USB only input, that I would be better off just using the S/PDIF out from the Touch to a DAC of my choice that accepts S/PDIF.

Then I can simultaneously use the Coax out and Analog out to feed two more systems. Of course I would need a convenient way to control the touch from the two additional systems (i.e. Apple Touch). Is that accurate and doable?

That would be a pretty reasonably priced way to get access to all of our music to 3 areas of our home.

I have a VBA and SBT hardwired to my router with 1100 CDs ripped to FLAC. I am running 2 zones off my Denon. One via Optical to the main system. The other analog to my kitchen. I control everything via my iPad and iPhone using the iPeng App. The iPeng App also works as a player so I can plug it into my basement or bedroom system and stream to them. I have only been part of the digital thing since Jan 2011. All my music friends have been very impressed with this set-up as am I.

tmoss
post #466 of 1058 Old 08-16-2011, 12:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Has anyone compared the squeezebox SQ to a xonar 1.3 sound card?
post #467 of 1058 Old 08-16-2011, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Sargent View Post

Basically, it buggers things up. 7.6 was not ready for release and has caused lots of problems for lots of people. Wait for 7.6.1. The nightly builds are getting pretty good (I had to use one to get my album art back).

Mike

Last.fm is now buggy for me.

Most improved: Switching between Squeezebox Server and mysqueezebox.com.

A Nice Radio Station with Great Music. For Those That Like That Sort of Thing: RadioParadise.com

post #468 of 1058 Old 08-16-2011, 01:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicj1 View Post

Has anyone compared the squeezebox SQ to a xonar 1.3 sound card?

No need, I will soon find out, I have just brought one
post #469 of 1058 Old 08-16-2011, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicj1 View Post
No need, I will soon find out, I have just brought one
If you're like nearly everyone else, you won't be disappointed. Enjoy!
post #470 of 1058 Old 08-20-2011, 06:56 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 42
I just ordered one too.

I downloaded EAC but it looks pretty confusing. Are there any good tutorials on how to rip CDs to FLAC?
post #471 of 1058 Old 08-20-2011, 08:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmfish View Post

I just ordered one too.

I downloaded EAC but it looks pretty confusing. Are there any good tutorials on how to rip CDs to FLAC?

All kinds of them: http://blowfish.be/eac/

DBPoweramp is a little more user friendly, and does perfect rips. It isn't free, but it does allow you something like 14 days of full use.
post #472 of 1058 Old 08-20-2011, 10:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbrett View Post

All kinds of them: http://blowfish.be/eac/

DBPoweramp is a little more user friendly, and does perfect rips. It isn't free, but it does allow you something like 14 days of full use.

Thanks for the info. I just finished reading through this entire thread. I think dBpoweramp is well worth the price of admission to me.

A few more questions please...

I have about 100 of my CD's already ripped on my computer, but they are all 320kbps MP3.

If I want to re-rip them to FLAC using dBpoweramp (and I do), should I delete all of the current rips and start again fresh?

Also, I have iTunes and Mediamonkey (free version) on my computer and I get really confused by the way they organize my music. It seems they grab music from all over my HD and scatter them alphabetically sometimes instead of keeping albums all together. I'm tempted to just delete iTunes and Mdiamonkey and all my music and start over again.

I like things organized and all I want is a folder for each album containing the tracks of that album - in the folder and nowhere else. Instead of using iTunes or Mediamonkey or something else, why can't I just rip albums to windows folders and use Windows Explorer to rename and drag/drop songs where I want them. For example, if I have a few stray songs, I can create a folder called "Various Artists" or "XMas Music" and drag/drop songs into them as I please.

If I do this, it confuses iTunes and Mediamonkey, although I have figured out with Mediamonkey that I can go into the properties and if I fill in the boxes exactly the same, then they can be grouped together.

Is this how dBpoweramp and EAC work too? Are they another skin over my library like iTunes and Mediamonkey?

And what is the relationship between these layers and the Squeeze Server software. Is it another layer on top of a layer on top of my music?

Sorry if this is too obtuse. If there is a tutorial somewhere, I'll gladly teach myself vs. asking someone to explain it to me.

Thanks for a very helpful thread. I'm getting there...
post #473 of 1058 Old 08-21-2011, 07:08 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the info. I just finished reading through this entire thread. I think dBpoweramp is well worth the price of admission to me.

A few more questions please...

I have about 100 of my CD's already ripped on my computer, but they are all 320kbps MP3.

If I want to re-rip them to FLAC using dBpoweramp (and I do), should I delete all of the current rips and start again fresh?

Also, I have iTunes and Mediamonkey (free version) on my computer and I get really confused by the way they organize my music. It seems they grab music from all over my HD and scatter them alphabetically sometimes instead of keeping albums all together. I'm tempted to just delete iTunes and Mdiamonkey and all my music and start over again.

I like things organized and all I want is a folder for each album containing the tracks of that album - in the folder and nowhere else. Instead of using iTunes or Mediamonkey or something else, why can't I just rip albums to windows folders and use Windows Explorer to rename and drag/drop songs where I want them. For example, if I have a few stray songs, I can create a folder called "Various Artists" or "XMas Music" and drag/drop songs into them as I please.

If I do this, it confuses iTunes and Mediamonkey, although I have figured out with Mediamonkey that I can go into the properties and if I fill in the boxes exactly the same, then they can be grouped together.

Is this how dBpoweramp and EAC work too? Are they another skin over my library like iTunes and Mediamonkey?

And what is the relationship between these layers and the Squeeze Server software. Is it another layer on top of a layer on top of my music?

Sorry if this is too obtuse. If there is a tutorial somewhere, I'll gladly teach myself vs. asking someone to explain it to me.

Thanks for a very helpful thread. I'm getting there...

I don't like the way external applications handle my music either. I keep my music in a folder structure like this music/genre/artist/album and use mp3tag (awesome freeware) to tag and add album art to the music after ripping it, it will even take all your music and rearrange It to match however you want your folders to be. You can deselect the option in mediamonkey to have it control your music as well.
post #474 of 1058 Old 08-21-2011, 07:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkmunk View Post

I don't like the way external applications handle my music either. I keep my music in a folder structure like this music/genre/artist/album and use mp3tag (awesome freeware) to tag and add album art to the music after ripping it, it will even take all your music and rearrange It to match however you want your folders to be. You can deselect the option in mediamonkey to have it control your music as well.

+1 Deselect the option that allows the application to manage or organize your music. Follow the folder/file structure above.

In Squeezeserver you specify where the music is located, and it scans it there. Squeezeserver does not organize or manage your library for you.

DBPoweramp also does not manage your library. It allows you to specify where you want your FLAC files stored on the disk.

I keep two copies of everything. One FLAC, one as MP3 or M4A for my iPod, iPhone use. Toss the high resolution MP3s if you have no intent or ever using them again. Converting MP3s to FLAC will sound like crap.

Probably the best thing to do is load up the software and start playing with it. That is the best way I've been able to learn how the software works.

Also, there is another Squeezebox forum that has lots of info, along with a Wiki.

http://forums.slimdevices.com/
http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Main_Page
post #475 of 1058 Old 08-21-2011, 08:10 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks very much drunkmunk and zbrett. I will definitely read up on mp3tag and follow the links to read more about this.

What about just ripping with Windows Media Player to .wav instead of FLAC? I know the files will be bigger, but then I can use a simple program I'm already familiar with and just use Windows Explorer for managing everything.
post #476 of 1058 Old 08-21-2011, 08:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks very much drunkmunk and zbrett. I will definitely read up on mp3tag and follow the links to read more about this.

What about just ripping with Windows Media Player to .wav instead of FLAC? I know the files will be bigger, but then I can use a simple program I'm already familiar with and just use Windows Explorer for managing everything.

.wav has rotten metadata support (artist, album, genre, year, etc). Open a wav file in MP3Tag and you'll see what I mean. You will be much happier with FLAC. The difference is so big that there is really no comparison between the two.
post #477 of 1058 Old 08-21-2011, 09:18 AM

I forgot to address the ripping. I use EAC (exact audio copy). It's not known for being super user friendly until configured correctly but here's a link to EAC flac ripping for beginners

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/EACBeginners

easiest way to rip really though is foobar2000 with flac encoder
post #478 of 1058 Old 08-21-2011, 10:22 AM
Advanced Member

Foobar, EAC, and dBpoweramp will all rip to FLAC with equal quality? It's just the interface that's different, right?

And none of them will try to manage my files? I can drag/drop any song or album anywhere I want with Windows Explorer? I don't have to ever use iTunes or Mediamonkey again if I don't want to (except of course for mp3 files for my iPod)?

And I can edit/fill-in data and album art with mp3tag so my SBT will show artist, song, track, and album art if I want?

Thank you both for all the info! I will check out the links and do some reading and then start the process of ripping all my discs!
post #479 of 1058 Old 08-21-2011, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:

And I can edit/fill-in data and album art with mp3tag so my SBT will show artist, song, track, and album art if I want?

dBpoweramp has a pretty easy and powerful tagging tool already integrated called PerfectMeta.

"PerfectMeta uses 5 Internet meta data providers simultaneously, this allows any inevitable errors, such as spelling mistakes to be self corrected. In addition, there are 100's of internal rules to ensure that the metadata returned is consistent across discs & providers. PerfectMeta offers the best metadata solution obtainable today.

Many of our competitors simply use freedb for meta data, freedb is good in that it is free, but the scope and quality of meta data contained within can be lacking. PerfectMeta does not just use one premium (pay for use) meta provider, but three! All Media Guide, SonataDB (a Classical database) and GD3, in addition to MusicBrainz and freedb.

SontaDB is a new classical specific database with extended fields just for classical (Composer, Conductor, Period, Instrument, Orchestra, Soloists, etc).

PerfectMeta also includes high resolution Album Art:"

Handy if you have a large disc collection.

You might also look into MusicBrainz Picard if you want to tidy up your existing music library.

Enjoy!

A Nice Radio Station with Great Music. For Those That Like That Sort of Thing: RadioParadise.com

post #480 of 1058 Old 08-21-2011, 12:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Foobar, EAC, and dBpoweramp will all rip to FLAC with equal quality? It's just the interface that's different, right?

And none of them will try to manage my files? I can drag/drop any song or album anywhere I want with Windows Explorer? I don't have to ever use iTunes or Mediamonkey again if I don't want to (except of course for mp3 files for my iPod)?

Thank you both for all the info! I will check out the links and do some reading and then start the process of ripping all my discs!

Not sure about the accuracy of rips in Foobar... Stick with EAC or DBPoweramp.

Yes, you can get rid of i Media Monkey. I only use iTunes with my iPhone and iPods. You will probably still need it to transfer music to your iPod.

Correct about MP3Tag. But also, as mentioned by W.T.F., DBPoweramp has a good way to obtain and edit metadata too. I usually only use MP3Tag to edit my existing FLAC files, or those FLACs I download from sites like HDTracks, Bowers and Wilkens Music Club, and Linn Records.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Logitech Inc Squeezebox Touch Catalog Category Distributed Audio Video Multiroom Solutions

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page