Logitech Squeezebox Touch Owners Thread - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #541 of 1058 Old 09-14-2011, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member
 
CDLehner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Dark Side of the Moon-Right Side of the Bay, MD
Posts: 9,018
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 296
OK...I am seriously considering selling my SBT, using a Duet receiver I have in the Family Room in my main 2-channel system, and using the funds from the SBT to get a tablet as remote.

A few questions:

1) I currently run the SBT into an external DAC; any reason to believe the output from the Duet's s/pdif would be of any lesser quality than the SBT's?

2) If I were to do away with the DAC (just temporarily), and bring the SB's DAC into play, how much better is the SBT's reported to be than the Duet's?

3) For those of you using tablets as remote, any recommendations? My wife has an iPad2...and that's an obvious choice; but it's also $500. I wish to god I could have snagged one of those HP's for $99...but in lieu of chasing that dream, any other "affordable" recommendations that work well?

Thanks,
CD

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
CDLehner is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #542 of 1058 Old 09-14-2011, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member
 
CDLehner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Dark Side of the Moon-Right Side of the Bay, MD
Posts: 9,018
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrieze View Post

I guess, the way to think about it, is that unlike other services, the free version of spotify is not crippled in any way (at least in the US, I believe in Europe it limits you to 20 hrs of streaming per month)

If you don't care for the ad free listening, mobile streaming or lower bit rates, get rid of the premium plan..

To "pin" an album to your library, you can always right click on the album and "add to", "new playlist". Spotify will auto populate a decent playlist name for you, Artist - album.

I create playlist folders for artists I like, and then just drag and drop all the related album playlists to the artist folder. It's not ideal, but works quite well.
My squeezebox, using the unofficial plugin, can see/follow the folders, for easy browsing.

I guess that must be it; it's "good for free". Thanks for the tip on albums and artists as playlists...but why don't they just display albums and artists as, you know...albums and artists...lol.

CD

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
CDLehner is offline  
post #543 of 1058 Old 09-14-2011, 11:21 AM
Member
 
coolio107's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Berlin
Posts: 185
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrieze View Post

I guess, the way to think about it, is that unlike other services, the free version of spotify is not crippled in any way (at least in the US, I believe in Europe it limits you to 20 hrs of streaming per month)

If you don't care for the ad free listening, mobile streaming or lower bit rates, get rid of the premium plan..

It's crippled in that it doesn't work with the Squeezebox so will be pretty useless in this context.
coolio107 is offline  
post #544 of 1058 Old 09-14-2011, 11:22 AM
Member
 
coolio107's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Berlin
Posts: 185
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post

I guess that must be it; it's "good for free". Thanks for the tip on albums and artists as playlists...but why don't they just display albums and artists as, you know...albums and artists...lol.

CD

Install the plugina nd then you can do that at least for the SB...
coolio107 is offline  
post #545 of 1058 Old 09-14-2011, 12:14 PM
Senior Member
 
jgiddyup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Virginia
Posts: 417
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post

OK...I am seriously considering selling my SBT, using a Duet receiver I have in the Family Room in my main 2-channel system, and using the funds from the SBT to get a tablet as remote.

A few questions:

1) I currently run the SBT into an external DAC; any reason to believe the output from the Duet's s/pdif would be of any lesser quality than the SBT's?

2) If I were to do away with the DAC (just temporarily), and bring the SB's DAC into play, how much better is the SBT's reported to be than the Duet's?

3) For those of you using tablets as remote, any recommendations? My wife has an iPad2...and that's an obvious choice; but it's also $500. I wish to god I could have snagged one of those HP's for $99...but in lieu of chasing that dream, any other "affordable" recommendations that work well?

Thanks,
CD

Come on CD just get the iPad. Those Special 25's had to cost some coin, so squeeze out a few hundred more and get the iPad

I've got pretty decent gear and have never been able to discern any difference in DAC's, but obviously others disagree. When I had a Duet it sounded fine to me using it's DAC's.

Just get the Sonos! You know you want to

BTW, if Mog ever makes it to Squeeze I think you'll enjoy it immensely. I know I do. No experience with Spotify, so can't help there.

Good Luck!

Jgiddyup
jgiddyup is offline  
post #546 of 1058 Old 09-14-2011, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member
 
CDLehner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Dark Side of the Moon-Right Side of the Bay, MD
Posts: 9,018
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiddyup View Post

Come on CD just get the iPad. Those Special 25's had to cost some coin, so squeeze out a few hundred more and get the iPad

I've got pretty decent gear and have never been able to discern any difference in DAC's, but obviously others disagree. When I had a Duet it sounded fine to me using it's DAC's.

Just get the Sonos! You know you want to

BTW, if Mog ever makes it to Squeeze I think you'll enjoy it immensely. I know I do. No experience with Spotify, so can't help there.

Good Luck!

You're right; they weren't cheap. Which is why I'm having trouble dropping 5-hunee on...what will essentially be...a remote right now...lol

I can't tell you the last time I didn't have an external DAC. I've been having excellent results with the Eastern Electric Minimax...as DAC and Pre...but have decided to try some dedicated Pre's instead. If I go that direction, might have to give up the EE to pay for it...be DAC-less temporarily...and just run an SB into that Pre for a spell.

If that were the case, I know there was some talk about how the Classic/v3 had a good, on-board DAC...Duet not so much...and that the SBT was a return to good, on-board decoding. Since I've always had an external DAC, I haven't done any of that kind of A/B in a long time.

CD

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
CDLehner is offline  
post #547 of 1058 Old 09-14-2011, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member
 
CDLehner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Dark Side of the Moon-Right Side of the Bay, MD
Posts: 9,018
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post

I wish to god I could have snagged one of those HP's for $99...but in lieu of chasing that dream, any other "affordable" recommendations that work well?

Thanks,
CD

Uh oh; would I have been shooting myself in the foot? Does the SB controller app even support webOS? Looks like Android and iOS only at this point?

In my quest for iAlternatives, I guess NextBook looks like the most interesting contender. But I don't know anything about them...or what to look for in a tablet really. I mean, an iPad is an iPad...but what do you look for in others?

CD

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
CDLehner is offline  
post #548 of 1058 Old 09-14-2011, 03:57 PM
Member
 
coolio107's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Berlin
Posts: 185
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post

Uh oh; would I have been shooting myself in the foot? Does the SB controller app even support webOS? Looks like Android and iOS only at this point?

No, but there is a 3rd party one which is not bad, I hear (don't have any WebOS device)
Quote:
In my quest for iAlternatives, I guess NextBook looks like the most interesting contender. But I don't know anything about them...or what to look for in a tablet really. I mean, an iPad is an iPad...but what do you look for in others?

C'mon, just get that iPad.
There are good Android pads as well but they are just as expensive and still lack dedicated software.
coolio107 is offline  
post #549 of 1058 Old 09-14-2011, 03:57 PM
Member
 
coolio107's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Berlin
Posts: 185
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Oh, but you DID get the point that you still need Spotify premium, right?
coolio107 is offline  
post #550 of 1058 Old 09-14-2011, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member
 
CDLehner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Dark Side of the Moon-Right Side of the Bay, MD
Posts: 9,018
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolio107 View Post

Oh, but you DID get the point that you still need Spotify premium, right?

Uh, yeah; but I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to drive home?

CD

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
CDLehner is offline  
post #551 of 1058 Old 09-14-2011, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member
 
CDLehner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Dark Side of the Moon-Right Side of the Bay, MD
Posts: 9,018
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolio107 View Post

C'mon, just get that iPad.
There are good Android pads as well but they are just as expensive and still lack dedicated software.

Man, $500 is steep for a remote. I mean really; here's what I plan on doing with it...changing music, and maybe posting on AVS while I'm in the listening room.

I'm not normally a guy to go the "discount" route...like buying a NextBook instead of an iPad; but when you're essentially looking for a big, dumb, touchscreen remote...don't you think the iPad(2) is overkill. Maybe an iPad "1", used?

CD

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
CDLehner is offline  
post #552 of 1058 Old 09-14-2011, 05:25 PM
Member
 
coolio107's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Berlin
Posts: 185
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post

Uh, yeah; but I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to drive home?

Nothing. Somebody else posted that you could just keep the free one and you said "cool, then I'm going to do that". Just wanted to make sure you don't expect your Squeezebox to work with Spotify free.
coolio107 is offline  
post #553 of 1058 Old 09-14-2011, 05:31 PM
Member
 
coolio107's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Berlin
Posts: 185
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post

Man, $500 is steep for a remote. I mean really; here's what I plan on doing with it...changing music, and maybe posting on AVS while I'm in the listening room.

Here's what _I_ planned on doing with an iPad: develop software for it and make funny jokes about people who pretend to actually use these things.

Here's what it turns out I actually _do_ with my iPad:
  • Do 75% of my mail
  • Do 50% of my forum reading and posting
  • Do 80% of my Web browsing
  • Do 50% of my TV watching
  • Do 90% of my music remote controlling
  • Do 50% of my Tweeting
  • Do 80% of my Facebook use.
  • Do 100% of my electronic gaming

Plus some drawing and document editing.

It's absolutely weird how I underestimated that thingy before I had one. You can't beat the form factor and - most importantly - the everlasting battery.

Oh. But one thing: You are completely right about iPad 1 vs. 2. iPad 1 is completely fine especially if you can get one with that ugly black jacket that is just soo much better than the damn "Smart Cover".
coolio107 is offline  
post #554 of 1058 Old 09-14-2011, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member
 
CDLehner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Dark Side of the Moon-Right Side of the Bay, MD
Posts: 9,018
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolio107 View Post

Nothing. Somebody else posted that you could just keep the free one and you said "cool, then I'm going to do that". Just wanted to make sure you don't expect your Squeezebox to work with Spotify free.

You must be mistaking me for another forum...lol. I NEVER said "cool, then I'm going to do that" (you're welcome to show me where I did); I'm dropping Spotify as soon as I can.

CD

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
CDLehner is offline  
post #555 of 1058 Old 09-14-2011, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member
 
CDLehner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Dark Side of the Moon-Right Side of the Bay, MD
Posts: 9,018
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolio107 View Post

Here's what _I_ planned on doing with an iPad: develop software for it and make funny jokes about people who pretend to actually use these things.

Here's what it turns out I actually _do_ with my iPad:
  • Do 75% of my mail
  • Do 50% of my forum reading and posting
  • Do 80% of my Web browsing
  • Do 50% of my TV watching
  • Do 90% of my music remote controlling
  • Do 50% of my Tweeting
  • Do 80% of my Facebook use.
  • Do 100% of my electronic gaming

Plus some drawing and document editing.

It's absolutely weird how I underestimated that thingy before I had one. You can't beat the form factor and - most importantly - the everlasting battery.

Oh. But one thing: You are completely right about iPad 1 vs. 2. iPad 1 is completely fine especially if you can get one with that ugly black jacket that is just soo much better than the damn "Smart Cover".

My wife has an iPad2; it's cool, to be sure...but I don't find it that addicting. Except for that damn Boggle she keeps beating me at. It's the one game where she bests me.

CD

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
CDLehner is offline  
post #556 of 1058 Old 09-14-2011, 09:09 PM
Member
 
drunkmunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The 'Stan... Again
Posts: 113
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post


Man, $500 is steep for a remote. I mean really; here's what I plan on doing with it...changing music, and maybe posting on AVS while I'm in the listening room.

I'm not normally a guy to go the "discount" route...like buying a NextBook instead of an iPad; but when you're essentially looking for a big, dumb, touchscreen remote...don't you think the iPad(2) is overkill. Maybe an iPad "1", used?

CD

What about an iPod touch? I use my iPhone (essentially the same thing) as my remote and depending on your set up there are apps for receiver controllers as well.
drunkmunk is offline  
post #557 of 1058 Old 09-14-2011, 11:49 PM
Member
 
coolio107's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Berlin
Posts: 185
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post

I guess that must be it; it's "good for free". Thanks for the tip on albums and artists as playlists...but why don't they just display albums and artists as, you know...albums and artists...lol.

CD

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post

You must be mistaking me for another forum...lol. I NEVER said "cool, then I'm going to do that" (you're welcome to show me where I did); I'm dropping Spotify as soon as I can.

CD

Maybe I stopped reading immediately after "thanks for the tip"
coolio107 is offline  
post #558 of 1058 Old 09-15-2011, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member
 
cuzed2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Chicago Area
Posts: 4,411
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiddyup View Post
Come on CD just get the iPad.

Just get the Sonos! You know you want to

BTW, if Mog ever makes it to Squeeze I think you'll enjoy it immensely.
jgiddyup;
"Just get the SONOS!" I second that vote!
By the way; Is that Moggie I see mentioned here. It's his fault that I am now a SONOS addict

CD; Long time no talk - how are you? It's amazing who you bump into when one wanders off their "Home threads". I'll be interested to see what alternative you choose for your new SB remote

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

cuzed2 is offline  
post #559 of 1058 Old 09-15-2011, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member
 
CDLehner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Dark Side of the Moon-Right Side of the Bay, MD
Posts: 9,018
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzed2 View Post
CD; Long time no talk - how are you? It's amazing who you bump into when one wanders off their "Home threads". I'll be interested to see what alternative you choose for your new SB remote
Well...not so sure that plan is still in effect. Didn't think about the Duet not supporting 24/96, and hi-res is very important to me.

Still would be nice to have a tablet as remote, of course; but without the SBT to sell, gonna have to come outta my pocket (and my pockets are bare from countless other upgrades recently).

CD

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
CDLehner is offline  
post #560 of 1058 Old 09-15-2011, 07:05 PM
Senior Member
 
fullerms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 318
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post


Well...not so sure that plan is still in effect. Didn't think about the Duet not supporting 24/96, and hi-res is very important to me.

Still would be nice to have a tablet as remote, of course; but without the SBT to sell, gonna have to come outta my pocket (and my pockets are bare from countless other upgrades recently).

CD

Do you have an Android / iOS device? You could try using them as a remote before spending on a tablet. Using a phone as the remote is good for one handed operation, and the wife actually stopped me from spending the 10$ on the webos app for my touchpad for this very reason.

But then, all members of our family have a smartphone and that could be a deciding factor.
fullerms is offline  
post #561 of 1058 Old 09-15-2011, 10:07 PM
AVS Special Member
 
kjgarrison's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Northwest Wisconsin
Posts: 2,243
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
When did you get in? Good to see you again.

The Android remote app for SBT is OK. Not as good as the Sonos app, but way better than using the remote supplied.

Have you checked out Squeeze Play?


I'm off the hirez bandwagon. Just couldn't hear any difference between 16/44.1 and hirez using the A/B testing tool of foobar2000. Probably my old ears, but the reason is irrelevant. If I can't hear it, why pay for it, and FOR SURE my wife can't hear it. lol
kjgarrison is offline  
post #562 of 1058 Old 09-18-2011, 05:03 AM
AVS Special Member
 
wingnut4772's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,470
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Hi. Just ordered this for my system. Should I get an external DAC or is the Touch's DAC good enough? I was originally planning on hooking it up to a Benchmark DAC1.

TIA

Kaboom.
wingnut4772 is offline  
post #563 of 1058 Old 09-18-2011, 08:44 AM
Advanced Member
 
palmfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 785
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut4772 View Post

Hi. Just ordered this for my system. Should I get an external DAC or is the Touch's DAC good enough? I was originally planning on hooking it up to a Benchmark DAC1.

TIA

Hard to say without more information about your system and tastes. It really depends on your definition of "good enough."
palmfish is offline  
post #564 of 1058 Old 09-18-2011, 08:50 AM
Advanced Member
 
palmfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 785
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 42
By the way, I'm still totally loving my Touch. My wife finally asked me to show her how to use it yesterday and she was blown away. She never gets excited about my audio gear, but she was stunned - especially when I showed her iPeng on her iPad!

I also finished ripping all of my DVD-A's and music (concert) DVD-V's yesterday. Everything went pretty smoothly and I'm now enjoying some hi-rez music upstairs! I only had one problem disc - Queen's "A Night at the Opera" DVD-A doesn't have a proper 2-channel mix on the disc and the downmix sounds...interesting.
palmfish is offline  
post #565 of 1058 Old 09-18-2011, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member
 
kjgarrison's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Northwest Wisconsin
Posts: 2,243
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut4772 View Post
Hi. Just ordered this for my system. Should I get an external DAC or is the Touch's DAC good enough? I was originally planning on hooking it up to a Benchmark DAC1.

TIA
Stereophile had a piece on it several months ago. You can look online and see how they configured it. I don't remember and don't need to know, since I no longer have audiophile ears, if I ever did.
kjgarrison is offline  
post #566 of 1058 Old 09-18-2011, 07:24 PM
Member
 
rajkalex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is there any point to the SBT with new receivers like the Pioneer 1121K and the Onkyo 609. Both cone with the ability steam music.
rajkalex is offline  
post #567 of 1058 Old 09-19-2011, 01:50 AM
Member
 
coolio107's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Berlin
Posts: 185
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
There have always been tons of systems with streaming capability.
Most of them are hardly usable.

It's a bit like "Why do I need a HiFi system, my phone can play music, too".
coolio107 is offline  
post #568 of 1058 Old 09-19-2011, 06:26 AM
AVS Special Member
 
kjgarrison's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Northwest Wisconsin
Posts: 2,243
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
+1
kjgarrison is offline  
post #569 of 1058 Old 09-19-2011, 07:00 AM
Member
 
drunkmunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The 'Stan... Again
Posts: 113
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajkalex
Is there any point to the SBT with new receivers like the Pioneer 1121K and the Onkyo 609. Both cone with the ability steam music.
I tried using my receiver as a stand alone for a while but I had to turn on the tv to navigate because the display on the receiver was so clunky. Add to that the pain of stepping my wife through the process (over the phone) every time she wanted to listen to music just made it not worth it. The SBT allows her to use it very easily and having a standalone streamer allowed me to create an "activity" on my remote making it even easier
drunkmunk is offline  
post #570 of 1058 Old 09-20-2011, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member
 
lsarver's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 1,181
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolio107 View Post

it's a bit like "why do i need a hifi system, my phone can play music, too".

lmao

@rajkalex
AVRs usually (1) have built-in streaming interfaces so difficult to navigate that you'll have to use your TV, and (2) require a DLNA server, which is a second-rate transport medium and also a PITA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkmunk View Post

. . . Add to that the pain of stepping my wife through the process (over the phone) every time she wanted to listen to music . . . .

lsarver is offline  
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Logitech Inc Squeezebox Touch Catalog Category Distributed Audio Video Multiroom Solutions

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off