Logitech Squeezebox Touch Owners Thread - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 1058 Old 05-13-2010, 12:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
You can also get an applcation for the iPhone or iPod touch (iPeng) that has the same functions as the squeezebox controller.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 1058 Old 05-16-2010, 05:33 PM

I'm considering purchasing a touch. Anyone know of any reviews with measurements of performance for the touch such as S/N ratio, THD, etc?

Best,

Mike
post #63 of 1058 Old 05-20-2010, 03:15 PM

Any response?

Mike
post #64 of 1058 Old 05-22-2010, 06:00 AM

Had mine for about 3 weeks now. Nice little device. Easy enough for the kids and my wife to use. Which was why I got it. Realize this is a broad question but here goes anyhow:

Could someone point me in the direction of where I might go to learn more about how to access the touch within my network[ This is my first attempt at streaming media. Apologies it's so basic. ]? I have a network attached Denon 3310 and 4310. But only one touch. (Attached to the 3310.)

It seems to me if I fiddle with the network addresses there should be a way for me to playback from my touch (Attached to the 3310) on my other AVR.
post #65 of 1058 Old 05-22-2010, 06:25 AM
AVS Special Member

You're gonna have to run cable from the touch to the second AVR or get a second squeezebox for the second receiver. The touch cannot wirelessly transmit to a non-squeezebox device. If there is a PC near the second receiver, you could cable it to the AVR and run squeezeplay on the PC, which would emulate a squeezebox but syncing the two players might prove problematic.
post #66 of 1058 Old 05-22-2010, 07:40 AM

Thanks. Appreciate the assist. Getting closer to what I'm trying to do. This might actually be a better question for one of the Denon AVR owner's threads.

Family and I found the Touch's web browser interface to be very nice and straight forward. I was trying to find a way to make better use of it. Since we've got 2 AVRs, and 6 Zones if I can have them standardize on one interface it means fewer headaches for me. *wink*

I suppose what I'm really asking is whether a USB attached SqueezeBox Touch would have a unique IP address. If it does then, since both my AVRs are attached to my router, there should be a way to get to it from my second AVR i.e., the one to which the Touch is not directly connected.

This would be a really nice solution. I could use the Logitech Web Browser interface to control the Touch from any laptop, iphone etc in the house in any of the 6 zones.

If not then it's not the worst thing in the world. I'd just need to chew up another set of component ports on the second AVR and pop for a second Touch.

I'm going to have a look into Squeezeplay to see if that might help enable what I'm trying to do. Sounds promising. It'd be simple enough for me to simply put a PC on my network and use it as a server.
post #67 of 1058 Old 05-22-2010, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

It sounds to me like you're making the assumption that because you have multiple IP-enabled devices that they should all be able to talk to each other. It's understandable that you'd make that assumption, but unfortunately networking goes far deeper than that.

IP is the underlying protocol -- what other protocol (or 'language') the various devices speak sits on top of that. I'm guessing that your receivers are DLNA-compliant, which today is a fairly common media networking protocol. Unfortunately, the original Squeezeboxes came out before DLNA existed, so they rely on their own SqueezeServer/SlimServer protocol. This is why IcemanDallas says that you can't transmit to a non-Squeezebox device -- nothing else out there speaks the Squeeze language.

Now, if you were to set up a dedicated music server (which isn't a bad idea if you're looking to have multiple Touch/receiver setups), it's fairly trivial to have the server speak both the SqueezeServer language and DLNA at the same time. Vortexboxes are quite nice for just this sort of thing. The nice thing with these is that you can purchase one that's ready to go, or you can build your own. Or there are a number of other roll-your-own ways you can go if you don't mind getting your hands dirty.
post #68 of 1058 Old 05-22-2010, 08:11 AM

Thank you. I understand now. Makes sense. I'd assumed if my AVR could see the stream and I could control the device from a browser I'd be fine. Realize now seeing the stream and decoding it aren't iron-clad guaranteed.

Had a look at the VortexBox you suggeted. Looks promising. Especially since I see it makes use of the SqueezePlayer interface.

The thing we liked about the Touch was how easy it was to access Internet Radio. If I can rig up a VortexBox to handle Internet Radio in a similar manner we have a match. This would be great.

There's a place for both. Kids, elderly relatives won't be firing up a browser to listen to music. That's where the touch comes in. Sounds like the VortexBox would handle the rest of what we want. And.. again... if I'm dealing with similar interfaces for all that makes my life easier. Thanks again.
post #69 of 1058 Old 07-23-2010, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Why is the Touch showing as "discontinued" on sites like Crutchfield? Is it really discontinued already? Is there a new product coming?
post #70 of 1058 Old 07-24-2010, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

No, it has not been discontinued. It has only been shipping for a few months.
post #71 of 1058 Old 07-24-2010, 06:52 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 638 Post(s)
Liked: 714
So with the Squeeze box touch, am I able to run the squeeze box software on it instead of a PC and it can send it to my other legacy squeezeboxes? Is this the case?

If so I think I will pick one up. I have several of the classic squeeze boxes and the squeeze box boom. But if I can stop having to run the Squeezebox software on a PC or server that would really be ideal for me.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #72 of 1058 Old 07-24-2010, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

So with the Squeeze box touch, am I able to run the squeeze box software on it instead of a PC and it can send it to my other legacy squeezeboxes? Is this the case?

If so I think I will pick one up. I have several of the classic squeeze boxes and the squeeze box boom. But if I can stop having to run the Squeezebox software on a PC or server that would really be ideal for me.

Yes, the server in the Touch will also support other Squeezeboxen. The caveat is that you must attach a usb drive to the Touch, it will not support a network storage device for your local music.
post #73 of 1058 Old 07-24-2010, 04:26 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 638 Post(s)
Liked: 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcemanDallas View Post

Yes, the server in the Touch will also support other Squeezeboxen. The caveat is that you must attach a usb drive to the Touch, it will not support a network storage device for your local music.

Crap!! Although I guess I could attach a 2TB USB drive, copy my music to it and update it periodically with the music that is normally on my Intel NAS.

I'll have to look further into it. Thanks.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #74 of 1058 Old 07-24-2010, 04:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:

And using the USB input is the least sonically advantageous mode.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

post #75 of 1058 Old 07-25-2010, 09:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

So you are saying the only way to stream music from a PC is to use the software, right? If the PC is closeby to the Touch is it possible to connect by USB to it?
post #76 of 1058 Old 07-26-2010, 01:07 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by serenity737 View Post

I'm considering purchasing a touch. Anyone know of any reviews with measurements of performance for the touch such as S/N ratio, THD, etc?

Best,

Mike

I have been using three of the Duets for a year and a half to stream my 1000 plus CD's in lossless format to three high end audio systems. I use the digital out of the receivers to the digital ins on my pre amp processors, and the sound is every bit as good as a high end CD transport doing it.

I recently replaced two of the Duet receivers with a pair of squeezebox touches. Hooked up the same as the duet receivers were, they sound just as good and are fully worthy of use on a high end audio system. I'm still using my Duet controllers to run the Touch, just because I love the way that LCD screen controller works. The Duet receivers had no LCD screen at all though, and they couldn't do this like the Touch can.

^^^ That looks cool^^^^^

They have the added benefit of being able to transmit 24 bit 96khz audio files that the duet receivers are not capable of.
post #77 of 1058 Old 07-26-2010, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdawg17 View Post

So you are saying the only way to stream music from a PC is to use the software, right? If the PC is closeby to the Touch is it possible to connect by USB to it?

If your music is on a PC's internal drive or a usb drive attached to a PC, you would run the Squeezebox server on that PC. This should not be a problem since the PC would have to be turned on to access the drives. The server in the Touch would be turned off in this configuration and the Touch would access the PC server and music over an ethernet network, either cabled or wireless, using a router to manage network addresses. You cannot connect the Touch directly to the PC via usb.
post #78 of 1058 Old 07-26-2010, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Hi all:

I'm simply looking for a solid device to stream Rhapsody.

I'm currently using Airfoil with an AppleTv and I find the SQ and stream quality unacceptable.

Dropouts, high noise floor, enough skips to drive me nuts.

Pretty sure it's not Rhapsody and the very same network experiencing problems with airfoil moves songs perfectly between the same PC and my appletv using itunes.

I can't tolerate "the drops". I have a lynksys 160n router and a 6mbps DSL connection.

Simply: will these devices deliver solid, drop-less streaming from my laptop to my AVR?

thanks in advance.

James

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

post #79 of 1058 Old 07-26-2010, 04:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

And using the USB input is the least sonically advantageous mode.

What do you mean by this? I'm looking for a 32 GB flash drive for my touch. Wondering if I should get a HCSD card or a usb flash drive.
post #80 of 1058 Old 07-26-2010, 04:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leiff View Post

What do you mean by this? I'm looking for a 32 GB flash drive for my touch. Wondering if I should get a HCSD card or a usb flash drive.

See this thread and links: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/co...x-Touch-Review

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #81 of 1058 Old 07-26-2010, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by strindl View Post

I have been using three of the Duets for a year and a half to stream my 1000 plus CD's in lossless format to three high end audio systems. I use the digital out of the receivers to the digital ins on my pre amp processors, and the sound is every bit as good as a high end CD transport doing it.

I recently replaced two of the Duet receivers with a pair of squeezebox touches. Hooked up the same as the duet receivers were, they sound just as good and are fully worthy of use on a high end audio system. I'm still using my Duet controllers to run the Touch, just because I love the way that LCD screen controller works. The Duet receivers had no LCD screen at all though, and they couldn't do this like the Touch can.

^^^ That looks cool^^^^^

They have the added benefit of being able to transmit 24 bit 96khz audio files that the duet receivers are not capable of.

Sexy Might have to trade in at least one of my Duets for this.

CD

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
post #82 of 1058 Old 07-27-2010, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

CD's kinda already given me the lowdown, but am I correct when I say:

If you have 5 rooms you'd like audio in, you must purchase 5 entire duets...that's FIVE receivers AND controllers?!!!

You're telling me you can't just buy multiple receivers?

In my case, I don't want ANY controllers...all control would be through my iphone and laptop.

Guess I need to find a used receiver.

James

post #83 of 1058 Old 07-27-2010, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe View Post

CD's kinda already given me the lowdown, but am I correct when I say:

If you have 5 rooms you'd like audio in, you must purchase 5 entire duets...that's FIVE receivers AND controllers?!!!

You're telling me you can't just buy multiple receivers?

In my case, I don't want ANY controllers...all control would be through my iphone and laptop.

Guess I need to find a used receiver.

James

At the moment, that is my understanding of the situation with the Duet. I believe there was supposed to be a standalone version released, but that's either been pushed back indefinitely, or it's been canned. But if you end up with remotes you don't want, I might take one or two off your hand (could go nicely with my two Touches).
post #84 of 1058 Old 07-27-2010, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

thanks, but I'll definitely be purchasing used IF I can't get airfoil to stream Rhapsody decently through my appletv.

I really want that to work and avoid another box altogether, but I'm having real doubts it ever will.

The one bonus with going with Sonos or SB is that I could have control with my iphone in addition to my laptop.

James

post #85 of 1058 Old 07-27-2010, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugnax555 View Post

At the moment, that is my understanding of the situation with the Duet. I believe there was supposed to be a standalone version released, but that's either been pushed back indefinitely, or it's been canned. But if you end up with remotes you don't want, I might take one or two off your hand (could go nicely with my two Touches).

Just the opposite; you could buy standalone Receivers, and then they stopped it. If anyone knows WHY, I'd love to hear it. I can't think of ANY reason other than greed?

CD

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
post #86 of 1058 Old 08-19-2010, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quick question: not that I'm interested in doing it...but if you were planning to play files from a usb drive or sd card, is there any need for squeezeserver any more...or to put this on your network at all? In other words, can this now be a truly standalone player...because it appears, according to the set-up guide...it still needs squeezeserver...but then you can also play files from an attached drive or card?

CD

post #87 of 1058 Old 08-19-2010, 04:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Taken from top of page:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt

:End Quote

Yes PC is not necessary. Squeezebox can take HCSD card up to 32 GB or any sized USB flash drive and play the part of squeeze server. Some Portable hardrives have compatibility issues with touch. Ones that are usb powered I think. And very large hardrives In excess of 1 TB start having problems I think.
post #88 of 1058 Old 08-19-2010, 07:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenity737 View Post

Best,

Mike

See the forthcoming October issue of Stereophile.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #89 of 1058 Old 08-19-2010, 07:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q&A View Post

I looked at a couple of high resolution audio files at Chesky Records and Linn Records and they both have 192khz. I guess the touch would not be able to play them? Why is file support restricted to 96khz and not 192khz?

It depends. The Touch will play them from the SqueezeServer on the PC which will downsample them to 96KHz. However, you cannot play them from a USB drive using the local SqueezeServer.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #90 of 1058 Old 08-19-2010, 07:13 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post

Quick question: not that I'm interested in doing it...but if you were planning to play files from a usb drive or sd card, is there any need for squeezeserver any more...or to put this on your network at all? In other words, can this now be a truly standalone player...because it appears, according to the set-up guide...it still needs squeezeserver...but then you can also play files from an attached drive or card?

CD

Yes, the touch can be used to stream files from an attached USB device with no other computer needed. I did that a couple weeks ago by taking a Touch and a 1 TB WD separately powered USB drive to a friends house. It works fine, although the response of the Squeeze Box Server software running on the Touch directly is not as instantaneous as it is when running on a PC.

I run all of my Touches with the SBS on a PC when at home. Things do work faster that way.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Logitech Inc Squeezebox Touch Catalog Category Distributed Audio Video Multiroom Solutions

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page