Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 1058 Old 08-19-2010, 07:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

See the forthcoming October issue of Stereophile.

ahh...I'll be watching for that. Thanks for the heads up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1058 Old 08-20-2010, 12:34 PM
Q&A

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

It depends. The Touch will play them from the SqueezeServer on the PC which will downsample them to 96KHz. However, you cannot play them from a USB drive using the local SqueezeServer.

Kal,
Thanks for the reply and I am looking forward to the new issue of Stereophile!
post #93 of 1058 Old 08-20-2010, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q&A View Post

Kal,
Thanks for the reply and I am looking forward to the new issue of Stereophile!

I just heard that there is a Touch review coming in an upcoming issue of The Absolute Sound as well. Two perspectives by professional reviewers on the Touch. Should be interesting.
post #94 of 1058 Old 08-20-2010, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Duh; for the life of me, I can't seem to figure out how to get that player-controls, what the manual calls "Status Bar". I mean every picture I see of this thing looks like this

but mine isn't really even that close. Instead of ff/play/rev/repeat, etc...I only have the time-bar for the track; and I have now playing x of xx in the left corner...not centered, with the "home" option.

I mean, I'm familiar with SB, so I've been playing around with skins and screensavers. Help!

CD

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
post #95 of 1058 Old 08-21-2010, 04:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post

Duh; for the life of me, I can't seem to figure out how to get that player-controls, what the manual calls "Status Bar". I mean every picture I see of this thing looks like this

but mine isn't really even that close. Instead of ff/play/rev/repeat, etc...I only have the time-bar for the track; and I have now playing x of xx in the left corner...not centered, with the "home" option.

I mean, I'm familiar with SB, so I've been playing around with skins and screensavers. Help!

CD

It sounds like you're using the "Remote Skin" instead of the "Touch Skin". The Touch has two sets of displays -- one that shows basic information for use with the remote from a distance, and one that has more detail/information for up-close use with the touch interface itself. By default it will switch between the two depending on whether you use the remote or the touchscreen. You can also override it by changing Settings > Screen > Select Skin.
post #96 of 1058 Old 08-21-2010, 06:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugnax555 View Post

It sounds like you're using the "Remote Skin" instead of the "Touch Skin". The Touch has two sets of displays -- one that shows basic information for use with the remote from a distance, and one that has more detail/information for up-close use with the touch interface itself. By default it will switch between the two depending on whether you use the remote or the touchscreen. You can also override it by changing Settings > Screen > Select Skin.

Nah, I've tried the "touch skin". Granted, I've been using the remote mostly, but something is seriously eluding me. When I try using the touchscreen, this thing isn't giving me very many options at all. When a track is playing...and it displays the cover-art, track, artist, and album info...along with time-bar at the bottom, and now playing x of xx in the top-left...all I can seem to do is touch on "now playing"; I CANNOT get a "status bar".

And I've RTFM; nothing about the touch controls, so I assume it should just be intuitive...and I have to be honest...I don't consider myself a dunce, and they don't appear to be.

CD

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
post #97 of 1058 Old 08-21-2010, 09:54 AM
gdc

Quote:

Just the opposite; you could buy standalone Receivers, and then they stopped it. If anyone knows WHY, I'd love to hear it. I can't think of ANY reason other than greed?

CD

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

Up until last December, standalone Receivers were widely available. Stock from the last run dwindled and possibly someone forgot to order another production run when they were distracted by the launch of the Touch.

Supposedly when they looked at doing another run, a key part was no longer available and the subsequent substitution required an FCC review cycle.

Allegedly the new run of Receivers will be available in the Fall - whether that is closer to September or December is anyone's guess. Meanwhile, fleabay prices have been running significantly higher than retail for the last 8 months (yes, I've been trying to source a second Receiver myself). It's clear Logitech left a good chunk of money on the table with this slipshod move.

- Gordon

We don"t see things as they are, we see things as we are. - Anais Nin
post #98 of 1058 Old 08-21-2010, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Nah, I've tried the "touch skin". Granted, I've been using the remote mostly, but something is seriously eluding me. When I try using the touchscreen, this thing isn't giving me very many options at all. When a track is playing...and it displays the cover-art, track, artist, and album info...along with time-bar at the bottom, and now playing x of xx in the top-left...all I can seem to do is touch on "now playing"; I CANNOT get a "status bar".

And I've RTFM; nothing about the touch controls, so I assume it should just be intuitive...and I have to be honest...I don't consider myself a dunce, and they don't appear to be.

CD

Seriously, is this too hard to try and walk me through? It's almost like I've got an "old" version of the UI (although it says my firmware is up to date). Someone said hitting "now playing" on the remote scrolls through skins or display options? Mine doesn't.

I hit like "playlist" from the remote, all I get is a big "playlist" icon in the middle of the touchscreen; same thing for repeat. Like Squeezebox Touch for the challenged or something.

What in the hell am I doing wrong?

BTW, I tried calling Logitech support; closed at 5pm pst (Boo).

EDIT- NEVERMIND; small text touch skin (as opposed to large). I could have sworn I tried it already. Crisis resolved...lol.

CD

post #99 of 1058 Old 08-21-2010, 08:16 PM

Quote:

EDIT- NEVERMIND; small text touch skin (as opposed to large). I could have sworn I tried it already. Crisis resolved...lol.

CD

Yes..the secret is to touch the screen in the center to scroll through the various option screens in now playing. When you use the remote it makes text larger so you can see it from further away, but that takes up more room and those player controls on the bottom of the screen disappear.
post #100 of 1058 Old 08-24-2010, 01:09 PM

I think the Squeezebox Touch is my answer for integrating my digital music collection into my 2 channel stereo system. I don't want to use it's network features in anyway. Before purchasing I want to know if the Squeezebox Touch will manage my music collection on a 1 TB NTFS formatted USB hard drive. At present the collection is ~280 GB. In particular I need to know:

How long will it take to scan the collection?
Will I have to scan the collection each time I connect the drive?
Can I make and save playlists to the drive with the Squeezebox?

Thanks!
post #101 of 1058 Old 08-24-2010, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvbutch View Post

I want to know if the Squeezebox Touch will manage my music collection on a 1 TB NTFS formatted USB hard drive.

Yes. NTFS is a supported file system.

I think it would depend on your hardware or attached drive.

No.

Yes.

Thanks!

Hope this helps.

A Nice Radio Station with Great Music. For Those That Like That Sort of Thing: RadioParadise.com

post #102 of 1058 Old 08-24-2010, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvbutch View Post

I think the Squeezebox Touch is my answer for integrating my digital music collection into my 2 channel stereo system. I don't want to use it's network features in anyway. Before purchasing I want to know if the Squeezebox Touch will manage my music collection on a 1 TB NTFS formatted USB hard drive. At present the collection is ~280 GB. In particular I need to know:

Thanks!

I had a 1 tb WD USB drive that I used with one of my touches...the initial scan took maybe an hour or so. Each time you plug it in or turn it on, it will do a quick scan for any new or changed music..that takes a min or two.

Just so you know..what you want to do WILL work, but the response of the Touch is much faster when using the SBS on a separate PC.
post #103 of 1058 Old 08-25-2010, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strindl View Post

I had a 1 tb WD USB drive that I used with one of my touches...the initial scan took maybe an hour or so. Each time you plug it in or turn it on, it will do a quick scan for any new or changed music..that takes a min or two.

Just so you know..what you want to do WILL work, but the response of the Touch is much faster when using the SBS on a separate PC.

Thanks for all the help- I've heard the touch can be slow with usb drives. I will mainly listen to random selections within large genre collections- will there be a significant time delay between songs, or is the (lack of) speed you refer to mainly an issue when searching/locating specific tracks?

The inability to get hold of one to play with & the paucity of info on the logitech site have been real hindrances.
post #104 of 1058 Old 08-26-2010, 12:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Just picked up a Squeezebox Touch and am enjoying it very much. I also installed the squeeze pad app for my iPad and it works very well. I can search all my music, control internet radio and my music playlists that I'm streaming via the squeezebox. Love the fact that I can control everything over the network while on the patio and listen to my Polk Atrium 60's all while surfing the web, posting on the forum, etc.

Click the link to see pics of my home theater

http://s450.photobucket.com/albums/q...oom/?start=all
post #105 of 1058 Old 08-30-2010, 12:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I'm using the internal squeezebox server with a 4 GB HCSD card and I'm not really noticing any lag. Works great! I plan on upgrading to a 32 GB flash drive as soon as I can find a good deal. It could be that a usb hardrive lags more than a usb flash drive though.
post #106 of 1058 Old 09-11-2010, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Friday's mail included the October Stereophile with Kalman Rubinson's review of the Touch and the October Home Theater with David Vaughn's review of the Touch. Both reviews are quite favorable!
post #107 of 1058 Old 09-11-2010, 05:35 PM

Finally pulled the plug and bought a Touch. Very satisfied with the sound & setup was a breeze. It effortlessly streams my 270 GB collection from a PC. Performace with the same library via USB external hard drive is less satisfactory. Very balky responses, but once it gets going it's mostly ok as long as you don't fiddle with it. The 100 song limit to playlists via USB is a real drag. At the farm, where there's no internet, it basically doesn't want to work at all. I must've done the factory reset a dozen times, and still it does not want to work. Not sure why the same library works pretty well in town when the Touch can "see" the internet (even though it's playing from the USB drive) but hardly works at all at the farm with the same library. Guess I'll have to try out tech support and see what they have to offer. At first I thought I had a defective unit, but it works so well at home that I'm not so sure. Any ideas any or you care to share would be warmly welcome! Still, all in all, a pretty awesome product. Now the wife want's the radio......... seems like win win to me!
post #108 of 1058 Old 09-11-2010, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leiff View Post

I'm using the internal squeezebox server with a 4 GB HCSD card and I'm not really noticing any lag. Works great! I plan on upgrading to a 32 GB flash drive as soon as I can find a good deal. It could be that a usb hardrive lags more than a usb flash drive though.

With my use of the internal server, it could have also been the wma lossless format all of my music files were in. That has always been supported when using the PC installed SBS server, but is new..in beta releases only...for the internal touch server.
post #109 of 1058 Old 09-11-2010, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Johnson View Post

Friday's mail included the October Stereophile with Kalman Rubinson's review of the Touch and the October Home Theater with David Vaughn's review of the Touch. Both reviews are quite favorable!

ahh..the advantages of subscribing. I checked at my local Barnes and Noble on friday, and they still have the sept issues on the stands.
post #110 of 1058 Old 09-17-2010, 05:53 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'm considering getting the squeezebox and have a question. Can I copy my Itunes files to a hard drive, then directly hook up the hard drive to the squeezebox. Would the squeezebox be able to access the Itunes musice files?
post #111 of 1058 Old 09-17-2010, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

I am sad to say that I am noticing something unsettling with my SB Touch. When I change tracks or anything, I am getting "popping" and "clicking" in the signal.

For a while there I was going into a DacMagic and didn't notice it. Then I was right into my amp for a while, and I did...but I thought maybe it was a "buffer" issue or something. But I just got a Peachtree Decco2 in, to use as DAC/Pre...and it's still doing it.

In fact, with the Decco2, I can actually see what's happening; when I switch tracks...it's connected by coax...and the light on the coax input drops out and then comes back in. Like it's losing the signal for a split second and then kicking back in.

Anybody ever had a unit do this on you? Could it be a SqueezeServer issue?

CD

post #112 of 1058 Old 09-17-2010, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I am sad to say that I am noticing something unsettling with my SB Touch. When I change tracks or anything, I am getting "popping" and "clicking" in the signal.

For a while there I was going into a DacMagic and didn't notice it. Then I was right into my amp for a while, and I did...but I thought maybe it was a "buffer" issue or something. But I just got a Peachtree Decco2 in, to use as DAC/Pre...and it's still doing it.

In fact, with the Decco2, I can actually see what's happening; when I switch tracks...it's connected by coax...and the light on the coax input drops out and then comes back in. Like it's losing the signal for a split second and then kicking back in.

Anybody ever had a unit do this on you? Could it be a SqueezeServer issue?

CD

Hmm, now that I have the Decco2...so I can see when it happens...I am noticing it on some files and not others...but can't seem to find a pattern. Any thoughts on what could cause those "dropouts"...on certain files, and not others?

EDIT- Oh wait, it's not a "dropout" in signal...it is not locking onto the digital signal. OK...so what's causing that...on certain tracks not others?

CD

post #113 of 1058 Old 09-18-2010, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hmm, now that I have the Decco2...so I can see when it happens...I am noticing it on some files and not others...but can't seem to find a pattern. Any thoughts on what could cause those "dropouts"...on certain files, and not others?

EDIT- Oh wait, it's not a "dropout" in signal...it is not locking onto the digital signal. OK...so what's causing that...on certain tracks not others?

CD

Is this what you're seeing?

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=16146#c17
post #114 of 1058 Old 09-18-2010, 12:42 PM
EJD

I'm really leaning towards this device, originally thinking I would use it to play files from my library (~65GB) via a directly attached external HD. However, some of the comments about that method have made me think it may not be as ideal as I first thought.

Regarding networking the device - help me understand the basics here. I have a desktop computer (which has the music library) with a wireless modem that outputs a signal so I can use my laptop. Since the Touch sounds like it can access a wireless signal on it's own, is that enough for the Touch to be able to access the files on my desktop (once the squeezeserver software is installed)?

If not, what sort of hardware would I need to make that happen?

Thanks
post #115 of 1058 Old 09-18-2010, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJD View Post

I'm really leaning towards this device, originally thinking I would use it to play files from my library (~65GB) via a directly attached external HD. However, some of the comments about that method have made me think it may not be as ideal as I first thought.

Regarding networking the device - help me understand the basics here. I have a desktop computer (which has the music library) with a wireless modem that outputs a signal so I can use my laptop. Since the Touch sounds like it can access a wireless signal on it's own, is that enough for the Touch to be able to access the files on my desktop (once the squeezeserver software is installed)?

Thanks

You must have a wireless router or modem in place to manage the IP addresses in you home network. The touch cannot talk directly to your PC using the wireless adapter. I use the internet capability for 90% of my listening, too much good stuff out there to not take advantage of that capability.
post #116 of 1058 Old 09-18-2010, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJD View Post

Thanks

You don't need anything else. Works with the software on your computer and your wireless router. Everything is on your LAN.
post #117 of 1058 Old 09-18-2010, 03:00 PM
EJD

Thanks guys. Sounds easier than I thought...
post #118 of 1058 Old 09-18-2010, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcemanDallas View Post

Is this what you're seeing?

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=16146#c17

Yeah, I think it's something along those lines Ice. I haven't been able to isolate it to just 24/96 tracks...or when I'm going from 24/96 to 16/44.1; sometimes it does it in going from one track to another within the same title...sometimes from one title to another. It never seems to do it when it advances itself to the next track.

Like I said, can't find a pattern yet...but it's kind of a known bug? No fix yet...still beta?

CD

post #119 of 1058 Old 09-19-2010, 06:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Like I said, can't find a pattern yet...but it's kind of a known bug? No fix yet...still beta?

CD

I don't know if it's fixed or not, I don't have a Touch.
post #120 of 1058 Old 09-23-2010, 08:15 PM

I have only scanned this thread, so hopefully this has not been answered before. I am looking as music server options and like everyone these days, price is an object. This looks to be a good product and reviews have been good. My question is...If I rip all of my CDs and vinyl to a USB HDD, can I plug it directly into the USB port on the SBT? I know I can, but will the SBT directly control the content of the HDD, or do I have to stream it from a computer, which has the software installed.

Also, in my scanning of the thread, I saw some comment about the lack of bass in the audio reproduction. This was one of the cons I read in a review. They said the sound was much improved by utilizing the digital output vs. the analog.

Thanks
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Logitech Inc Squeezebox Touch Catalog Category Distributed Audio Video Multiroom Solutions

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page