post #121 of 1055 Old 09-24-2010, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohling View Post

I have only scanned this thread, so hopefully this has not been answered before. I am looking as music server options and like everyone these days, price is an object. This looks to be a good product and reviews have been good. My question is...If I rip all of my CDs and vinyl to a USB HDD, can I plug it directly into the USB port on the SBT? I know I can, but will the SBT directly control the content of the HDD, or do I have to stream it from a computer, which has the software installed.

Also, in my scanning of the thread, I saw some comment about the lack of bass in the audio reproduction. This was one of the cons I read in a review. They said the sound was much improved by utilizing the digital output vs. the analog.

Thanks

I'm not entirely sure about running the Touch in "standalone" (without a server) since I haven't done it myself, but my understanding is it entirely possible...and by design in this release. At the very least, you can store the files on an USB drive, and you might have to run the server software from an SD card...but that still means no server.

As for better AQ utilizing the digital output...I guess that depends. Understand, using the digital output means you're bypassing the Touch's DAC and using something else. Now, if the review (and I haven't had the pleasure yet. I've been waiting on this month's Stereophile...maybe my subscription is up?) ran the Touch into a 4-digit DAC, or even the $400 DacMagic, or the $800 Decco2...or any really good-sounding external DAC...then sure; you wouldn't be surprised to hear an improvement over the one in the $300 Touch. OTOH, if you were running it digitally into a $300 AVR, you might find the Touch's DAC to sound better.

I have to say, I'm kinda surprised; the buzz I had been hearing was that the Touch's DAC was really nice-sounding. IMO, the Classic/V3 had a very nice-sounding DAC, the Duet took a slight step back to my ears; I thought the Touch was a bit of a return, but I actually haven't A/B'd mine the way I usually do. Life's too short, and I'm very happy with my Decco2 as DAC/Pre...so why futz?

CD

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 1055 Old 09-24-2010, 10:52 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
CDLehner, thanks for the reply. I will keep and eye out and possibly get one of these. Nobody locally has them (Spokane, WA), so will end up buying online. Though Logitech shows they are out of stock there. Was going to use a 10% off discount code and buy direct from them. Guess I will first go get an external HDD drive and start ripping CDs. That will be a chore @ somewhere between 400-500...later, I will start selecting the LPs that I want to convert...really dreading that task. It will be nice to have everything ripped to HDD though.
post #123 of 1055 Old 09-24-2010, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohling View Post

CDLehner, thanks for the reply. I will keep and eye out and possibly get one of these. Nobody locally has them (Spokane, WA), so will end up buying online. Though Logitech shows they are out of stock there. Was going to use a 10% off discount code and buy direct from them. Guess I will first go get an external HDD drive and start ripping CDs. That will be a chore @ somewhere between 400-500...later, I will start selecting the LPs that I want to convert...really dreading that task. It will be nice to have everything ripped to HDD though.

Logitech has been showing "Out Of Stock" for some time.
I wonder if there's an updated model in the works.
Yeah, that's it!

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #124 of 1055 Old 09-24-2010, 03:26 PM

Liked: 13
It just arrived here at work. I can't wait to get home and fire it up! Any opinions on what format sounds the best for lossless CD rips? I don't know if I should use WMA Lossless or FLAC. I'll be using the coax digital output to my Bel Canto DAC2 in my main rig or into a Denon AVR-987 in my HT room. TIA

Cheers,

Jeff

SXRD/Denon/OPPO/HTPC/PS4/PS3/XB360/NHT/HSU
PSN ID: Krondorian
XBL ID: Midkemian
West Coast
Twitter: @Krondo_jd
post #125 of 1055 Old 09-24-2010, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60SXRD View Post

It just arrived here at work. I can't wait to get home and fire it up! Any opinions on what format sounds the best for lossless CD rips? I don't know if I should use WMA Lossless or FLAC. I'll be using the coax digital output to my Bel Canto DAC2 in my main rig or into a Denon AVR-987 in my HT room. TIA

If it's lossless, it won't matter cos they'll all sound the same. I went with FLAC because I know it'll always be supported somewhere due to it's openness. Come to think of it, I don't even know if the Touch can deal with WMA lossless.

Grab yourself a copy of Exact Audio Copy (EAC), then set it up using this (or one of the other) setup guides, then go to town.
post #126 of 1055 Old 09-24-2010, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugnax555 View Post

If it's lossless, it won't matter cos they'll all sound the same. I went with FLAC because I know it'll always be supported somewhere due to it's openness. Come to think of it, I don't even know if the Touch can deal with WMA lossless.

Grab yourself a copy of Exact Audio Copy (EAC), then set it up using this (or one of the other) setup guides, then go to town.

+1 for FLAC...but save yourself the headache and use dbpoweramp instead; it has been confirmed many, many times...by exacting "audiophile" rippers...that it is every bit as good as EAC, and much easier to set-up.

CD

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
post #127 of 1055 Old 09-24-2010, 03:42 PM

Quote:

Come to think of it, I don't even know if the Touch can deal with WMA lossless.

I read that the Touch has to do some kind of internal transcoding for WMA Lossless so FLAC it is!

Cheers,

Jeff

West Coast
post #128 of 1055 Old 09-24-2010, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post

+1 for FLAC...but save yourself the headache and use dbpoweramp instead; it has been confirmed many, many times...by exacting "audiophile" rippers...that it is every bit as good as EAC, and much easier to set-up.

CD

Oh Yeh, DBPoweramp is amazing. only ripping program I use.
post #129 of 1055 Old 09-26-2010, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I read that the Touch has to do some kind of internal transcoding for WMA Lossless so FLAC it is!

it only has to DECODE the compressed track and again, the result is the same. I use WMA lossless since windows understands it and when I set up a new machine I don't have to do anything to play the tracks...

Jim White
St. Petersburg, FL
post #130 of 1055 Old 09-26-2010, 04:48 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimwhite View Post

it only has to DECODE the compressed track and again, the result is the same. I use WMA lossless since windows understands it and when I set up a new machine I don't have to do anything to play the tracks...

same with me. I have over a thousand CD's ripped to wma lossless and have been using them with three duets for almost two years. I just added a couple touches to the setups and wma lossless works just fine there as well.
post #131 of 1055 Old 09-27-2010, 06:14 AM
Advanced Member

I am a squeeze box wanna b. I have a Marantz av8003 that supports a network connection. I do not believe it supports flac though. I have a computer desk top hard drive with vista and media server software and would like to physically position it next to the Marantz in the theater room and connect it via a network cable, I guess.

I do not have any cd's copied as of yet onto the hard drive. Can I use the touch screen of the squeeze box for this task?

I am hoping that I do not need an additional keyboard, mouse and screen for this set up.

I think that I would then plug the supplied ir into the Marantz as I have buffalo repeaters throughout the house. This should allow control of the touch throughout the home and control the various zones within.

So is this the product I require to do what I have stated above? Or do I need an additional keyboard et al and rip the cds first?
post #132 of 1055 Old 09-27-2010, 08:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi2000 View Post

I am a squeeze box wanna b. I have a Marantz av8003 that supports a network connection. I do not believe it supports flac though. I have a computer desk top hard drive with vista and media server software and would like to physically position it next to the Marantz in the theater room and connect it via a network cable, I guess.

I do not have any cd's copied as of yet onto the hard drive. Can I use the touch screen of the squeeze box for this task?

I am hoping that I do not need an additional keyboard, mouse and screen for this set up.

I think that I would then plug the supplied ir into the Marantz as I have buffalo repeaters throughout the house. This should allow control of the touch throughout the home and control the various zones within.

So is this the product I require to do what I have stated above? Or do I need an additional keyboard et al and rip the cds first?

In theory, you do not seem to need the Touch as the AV8003 should be able to access everything from the computer via either ethernet or other connections directly.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #133 of 1055 Old 09-28-2010, 08:05 AM
Advanced Member

Kal

It was you review that sparked my interest in this product.
Quote:

In theory, you do not seem to need the Touch as the AV8003 should be able to access everything from the computer via either ethernet or other connections directly.

I am wondering about the rippping and then viewing and sorting of the cds. Also as stated the use of keyboard, mouse, and monitor are these unavoidable? I was hoping that this unit would replace those.
post #134 of 1055 Old 09-28-2010, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi2000 View Post

Kal

It was you review that sparked my interest in this product.

I am wondering about the rippping and then viewing and sorting of the cds. Also as stated the use of keyboard, mouse, and monitor are these unavoidable? I was hoping that this unit would replace those.

The Touch doesn't eliminate your need to rip CDs; that has to be done from a PC (or equivalent).

CD

post #135 of 1055 Old 09-28-2010, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

kiwi, you will need to use your computer to rip CDs and set up the DLNA media server software on the computer (for your AV8003), or the Squeezeserver software (for the Touch). However, once that's done, you should be able to leave the computer on with no keyboard/mouse or monitor, and have it running all the time as a "headless server" (you wouldn't necessarily even need to have it in the same room as the rest of your audio gear). All access of the media contained on the computer would then be handled via either the Touch's or the AV8003's interfaces.
post #136 of 1055 Old 09-28-2010, 11:32 AM

Logitech has been showing this product out of stock for quite sometime, any idea when they will get it?
post #137 of 1055 Old 09-28-2010, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwok View Post

Logitech has been showing this product out of stock for quite sometime, any idea when they will get it?

That's where I got mine - it came in less than a week.

Cheers,

Jeff

West Coast
post #138 of 1055 Old 09-28-2010, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakes8993 View Post

Oh Yeh, DBPoweramp is amazing. only ripping program I use.

I downloaded dBPoweramp and it works great. I'm about a third of the way ripping my CD's to disc (using FLAC) and the Touch plays them just fine.

Cheers,

Jeff

West Coast
post #139 of 1055 Old 09-29-2010, 09:15 AM

Quote:

That's where I got mine - it came in less than a week.

So wait a minute, they are shipping EVEN if the website says out of stock?
post #140 of 1055 Old 09-29-2010, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwok View Post

So wait a minute, they are shipping EVEN if the website says out of stock?

Did you look on Amazon? There are several sellers that have them in stock.

Cheers,

Jeff

West Coast
post #141 of 1055 Old 10-04-2010, 12:20 PM

Guys, I have a newbie question, so here's my scenario. I want to put all my music on a server and have the signal path end at my pre-amp. I may buy the vortexbox appliance as the server: I am test-driving the vortexbox software on a old pc and it's very slick. I know it will do the job. It has the Squeezebox server built in.

Problem: my router (wired and wireless combo) is NOT in proximity to my audio gear. I assume the appropriate Squeezebox media player will route the files wirelessly?

Also, do I need a separate DAC, from the Squeezebox media player into the pre-amp?

Thanks for any guidance!
post #142 of 1055 Old 10-04-2010, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

I believe all of the squeezebox devices have wifi built in... my original squeezebox, my squeezebox radio and my squeezebox boom all have wifi.

Jim White
St. Petersburg, FL
post #143 of 1055 Old 10-04-2010, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpaik View Post

Guys, I have a newbie question, so here's my scenario. I want to put all my music on a server and have the signal path end at my pre-amp. I may buy the vortexbox appliance as the server: I am test-driving the vortexbox software on a old pc and it's very slick. I know it will do the job. It has the Squeezebox server built in.

Problem: my router (wired and wireless combo) is NOT in proximity to my audio gear. I assume the appropriate Squeezebox media player will route the files wirelessly?

Also, do I need a separate DAC, from the Squeezebox media player into the pre-amp?

Thanks for any guidance!

And no, you do not need a separate DAC; you can use analog out of the SB, which of course means you're using the SBs DAC. Some prefer the sound of an outboard, external DAC, but it's not necessary.

CD

post #144 of 1055 Old 10-04-2010, 01:27 PM

Thank you Jim and CD! I'm adept at networking, but the puzzle I'm solving is how everything fits together...and I'm finally getting it. Finding a diagram/flowchart for either whole-home or "one-zone" applications would be great.
post #145 of 1055 Old 10-07-2010, 05:47 AM

I have recently acquired a squeezebox touch and it really was the convergence of a number of events:

Event 1. I had been running Plex 8 off my Mac Mini & NAS storage (mainly in FLAC format) and at the beginning of September they rolled out Plex 9 and so I switched. This was a big mistake since when it scanned my files it missed 90% of them. With a plug-in I reduced this down to about 30% and so I decided to switch back to Plex 8, however when I did switch back Plex kept freezing and loosing the music database.

Event 2. My wife has had an iPad for a while and then went to a conference and won another (lucky us). It was the basic one but hey still a nice bonus! Anyway I was looking round the available apps and noticed that there were a couple that were related to the Squeezebox which seemed to very cool.

Event 3. One of the other cool features on the iPad was the ability to get magazine subscriptions on line and one of the first magazines I ordered was Stereophile which lo and behold had an article which sang the praises of the Squeezebox Touch.

Anyway I ordered one and it is now installed in my system and streams music in the easiest manner possible. I subscribe to B&W Society of Sound and on a monthly basis you can download new music often in FLAC 24/48k format and the Touch can play this without issues. I do not have to have the TV on and can control the music from anywhere in the house (or by the pool) using either Squeezeplay or iPeng on the iPad and most importantly the quality of the audio is excellent fed by coax digital to my Anthem D1/P5 & B&W803D speakers.

My wife loves it as well since all she has to do now is hit Squeezebox on the harmony remote, wait a few seconds and then hit play or use the iPad to choose the music she wants to listen to.

So anyone who is sitting on the fence about this item or thinks it is too expensive for such a small piece of plastic. Do not hesitate, your music will be free again (to quote what it says as you boot up the Squeezebox).

One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.
~Bob Marley~
post #146 of 1055 Old 10-07-2010, 06:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefl52 View Post

I have recently acquired a squeezebox touch and it really was the convergence of a number of events:

Event 1. I had been running Plex 8 off my Mac Mini & NAS storage (mainly in FLAC format) and at the beginning of September they rolled out Plex 9 and so I switched. This was a big mistake since when it scanned my files it missed 90% of them. With a plug-in I reduced this down to about 30% and so I decided to switch back to Plex 8, however when I did switch back Plex kept freezing and loosing the music database.

Event 2. My wife has had an iPad for a while and then went to a conference and won another (lucky us). It was the basic one but hey still a nice bonus! Anyway I was looking round the available apps and noticed that there were a couple that were related to the Squeezebox which seemed to very cool.

Event 3. One of the other cool features on the iPad was the ability to get magazine subscriptions on line and one of the first magazines I ordered was Stereophile which lo and behold had an article which sang the praises of the Squeezebox Touch.

Anyway I ordered one and it is now installed in my system and streams music in the easiest manner possible. I subscribe to B&W Society of Sound and on a monthly basis you can download new music often in FLAC 24/48k format and the Touch can play this without issues. I do not have to have the TV on and can control the music from anywhere in the house (or by the pool) using either Squeezeplay or iPeng on the iPad and most importantly the quality of the audio is excellent fed by coax digital to my Anthem D1/P5 & B&W803D speakers.

My wife loves it as well since all she has to do now is hit Squeezebox on the harmony remote, wait a few seconds and then hit play or use the iPad to choose the music she wants to listen to.

So anyone who is sitting on the fence about this item or thinks it is too expensive for such a small piece of plastic. Do not hesitate, your music will be free again (to quote what it says as you boot up the Squeezebox).

Aahhh; about how I felt when I tried my first SB around 5 years ago! Welcome to the family.

CD

post #147 of 1055 Old 10-08-2010, 12:11 AM

Anyone able to comment on gapless playback and buffering of network streamed music on this device?
post #148 of 1055 Old 10-08-2010, 02:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by petacat View Post

Anyone able to comment on gapless playback and buffering of network streamed music on this device?

Totally gapless playback on everything I've thrown at mine (FLAC, DTS, NPR playlists, etc). Network playback only takes a second or two to start (at most).
post #149 of 1055 Old 10-08-2010, 09:19 AM

Quote:

Totally gapless playback on everything I've thrown at mine (FLAC, DTS, NPR playlists, etc). Network playback only takes a second or two to start (at most).

Wired or wireless? Thanks.

Cheers,

Jeff

West Coast
post #150 of 1055 Old 10-08-2010, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Wired or wireless? Thanks.

Wireless at the moment. Although it is sitting on a stand that has 5 other devices wired up at the moment (didn't realize I had that much stuff there until I went through it in my head). Just never got around to grabbing another ethernet cable to hook it up--it's been working great as is.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Logitech Inc Squeezebox Touch Catalog Category Distributed Audio Video Multiroom Solutions

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page