Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 1055 Old 10-18-2010, 09:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by duffer_mcmulliga View Post

iPeng: full featured, but it seems to want to put every song in a playlist before it will play. Just clicking on the first song in an album plays that song, but nothing else. Really a headache to get working.

That should not be.
Actually, the default in iPeng is to _always_ play the whole album!
Have you changed any settings?
Have you seen "Help->Quick Tutorials->Albums and Playlists"?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1055 Old 10-19-2010, 07:53 PM
EJD

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by duffer_mcmulliga View Post

Playlists have been a royal PIA.

Are those playlists in M3U format? (don't know too much about itunes)
post #183 of 1055 Old 10-21-2010, 11:31 PM

Hi there!
I am a new owner of the Touch. So far it is a wonderful link between the AVR and the world of storing all music digitally on a PC.
I am in the middle of ripping my CD collection to FLAC. A huge job, but quite interesting to learn how to get the correct tags on the files.
The PC do the conversion from FLAC to PCM. The signal is processed in my NAD T785 and sounds very good.
Have listened to music that I didn't know I had in my collection.
post #184 of 1055 Old 10-22-2010, 11:12 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiske View Post

Hi there!

That's the real beauty of a music server over a CD...you rediscover your music collection. I listen to far more music now than I did when I had to go hunting for a cd in the house somewhere. And like you, I rediscovered lots of my old music that I had forgotten I even had.
post #185 of 1055 Old 10-22-2010, 12:49 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiske View Post

Welcome! I've been doing the same thing.

Cheers,

Jeff

SXRD/Denon/OPPO/HTPC/PS4/PS3/XB360/NHT/HSU
PSN ID: Krondorian
XBL ID: Midkemian
West Coast
Twitter: @Krondo_jd
post #186 of 1055 Old 10-23-2010, 11:47 AM

Hi everyone, I got my Squeezebox Touch a few days ago and I am loving it. So easy to setup and sounds great.

My only question is on the server startup options. What do you guys set it to? Don't start automatically, Automatically run at login or Automatically run at system start? I always shut down the computer at night. Just wondering what is the best way.

Thanks,

Rick
post #187 of 1055 Old 10-23-2010, 12:53 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Col View Post

Hi everyone, I got my Squeezebox Touch a few days ago and I am loving it. So easy to setup and sounds great.

My only question is on the server startup options. What do you guys set it to? Don't start automatically, Automatically run at login or Automatically run at system start? I always shut down the computer at night. Just wondering what is the best way.

Thanks,

Rick

My main computer runs 24/7 anyway, so the SBS is always available. I have it set to start automatically at login. The computer with the SBS is located in my family room and I enjoy listening to my music when I'm getting ready for bed and first thing in the morning in the bedroom.
post #188 of 1055 Old 10-23-2010, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Col View Post

Thanks,

Rick

I have a "spare" netbook that I got for cheap a few years ago running vortexbox sitting behind the entertainment center. I have a 2.5" USB-powered drive running off it (set to spindown after 20 mins of no activity). Runs great and is totally trouble-free. I finally rebooted it for the first time in 6 months the other day (didn't have to, but I was cleaning up behind there, so I decided to power it down for a bit -- but I could've run it off the battery instead if I'd wanted to). I'd recommend going the dedicated server route if you can. Nice to be able to listen to SB music when rebooting due to Windows updates and whatnot. Especially if you end up getting other SB devices (got a Radio for the kitchen a few weeks ago -- synching SB's is great!)
post #189 of 1055 Old 10-25-2010, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

None. Whatever format the mch signal is in works for me. All Channel Stereo does not simulate multichannel, it is just a party mode.

Let me follow-up on this; again, I don't plan to make a hobby of this...I'm a 2-channel guy, and not really looking to get into multi-channel. But I'd be lying if I said I wasn't curious.

Normally, when I'm ripping DVD-A, I just take the hi-res 2-channel tracks; but out of curiousity, I pulled a few multi's and would like to check them out.

I have a streamer in the HT that will pass multi-channel...but as I asked before, what "dsp" or "setting" should I have my Pre/Pro on for "true" multi-channel audio? Kal said "none", but I don't understand what he means by "none"; I assume you don't want "fake" processing, like "all-channel stereo"...where it takes 2 channels and makes-up its own multi-channel mix...but I don't know that my Pre/Pro can be put in "no" mode?

So what do I set it at?

CD

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
post #190 of 1055 Old 10-25-2010, 09:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post

Let me follow-up on this; again, I don't plan to make a hobby of this...I'm a 2-channel guy, and not really looking to get into multi-channel. But I'd be lying if I said I wasn't curious.

Normally, when I'm ripping DVD-A, I just take the hi-res 2-channel tracks; but out of curiousity, I pulled a few multi's and would like to check them out.

I have a streamer in the HT that will pass multi-channel...but as I asked before, what "dsp" or "setting" should I have my Pre/Pro on for "true" multi-channel audio? Kal said "none", but I don't understand what he means by "none"; I assume you don't want "fake" processing, like "all-channel stereo"...where it takes 2 channels and makes-up its own multi-channel mix...but I don't know that my Pre/Pro can be put in "no" mode?

So what do I set it at?

CD

Direct is the equivalent of "no" on most prepros and will permit it to use the native decoder for the particular file, if it has one. LPCM is the default for multichannel. Which one do you use and what prepro do you have?

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #191 of 1055 Old 10-25-2010, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Direct is the equivalent of "no" on most prepros and will permit it to use the native decoder for the particular file, if it has one. LPCM is the default for multichannel. Which one do you use and what prepro do you have?

Kal, I have a Integra DTC-9.8, and I think you're right; I decided to RTFM and I think "Direct" should do the trick. I'm so used to "Direct" bypassing circuitry for a pure 2-channel signal, that I didn't even think about it as the way to also get multi. Again, my brain just isn't wired that way yet.

CD

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
post #192 of 1055 Old 10-25-2010, 11:42 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:

Kal, I have a Integra DTC-9.8, and I think you're right; I decided to RTFM and I think "Direct" should do the trick. I'm so used to "Direct" bypassing circuitry for a pure 2-channel signal, that I didn't even think about it as the way to also get multi. Again, my brain just isn't wired that way yet.

CD

Kal is generally correct on the "direct" route for many pre-pros. The other option is to set the processor to whatever kind of multi channel music you ripped I.E. Dolby Digital, DTS etc...

Direct depending on the pre-pro will usually bypass any xover/bass management settings that are set on the pre-pro and may also bypass speaker distance settings.

Using Dolby Digital/DTS should retain all of the above mentioned settings assuming you ripped a muti-channel DD/DTS file.

Jgiddyup
post #193 of 1055 Old 10-26-2010, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have to wonder if KR secretly smiled a little when I said this, knowing that once upon a time he was likely a devout 2-channel guy as well...and that he knew, perhaps better than anyone, what I was getting myself into.

This is my way of saying I thoroughly enjoyed my little multi-channel experiment! I mean, of the extremely limited catalog that I have right now, the Neil Young Greendale was no great shakes (doesn't really lend itself to the multi-channel thing), and the same goes for the Diana Krall title I have. However, Talking Heads in multi-channel; I just grabbed the opening tracks from a few titles, but holy smokes...songs like I Zimba, Born Under Punches (The Heat Goes On), Burning Down The House, seem like they were absolutely made for multi-channel!

And...because I'm doing some work in the HT...I didn't even have my Center hooked-up (and the Sub was set-up for movies, so it wasn't exactly integrating smoothly into the mix)...and I was still pretty wowed by 4.1...lol. I could see where someone would get hooked, and go about setting up 5 really musical speakers for dedicated multi-channel listening.

So...did we ever determine if the Touch will pass this multi-channel signal or not?

CD

post #194 of 1055 Old 10-26-2010, 09:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I have to wonder if KR secretly smiled a little when I said this, knowing that once upon a time he was likely a devout 2-channel guy as well...and that he knew, perhaps better than anyone, what I was getting myself into.

This is my way of saying I thoroughly enjoyed my little multi-channel experiment! I mean, of the extremely limited catalog that I have right now, the Neil Young Greendale was no great shakes (doesn't really lend itself to the multi-channel thing), and the same goes for the Diana Krall title I have. However, Talking Heads in multi-channel; I just grabbed the opening tracks from a few titles, but holy smokes...songs like I Zimba, Born Under Punches (The Heat Goes On), Burning Down The House, seem like they were absolutely made for multi-channel!

And...because I'm doing some work in the HT...I didn't even have my Center hooked-up (and the Sub was set-up for movies, so it wasn't exactly integrating smoothly into the mix)...and I was still pretty wowed by 4.1...lol. I could see where someone would get hooked, and go about setting up 5 really musical speakers for dedicated multi-channel listening.

So...did we ever determine if the Touch will pass this multi-channel signal or not?

CD

Nope. Waiting for you.
I had some trouble getting SBS to recognize the mch files, so no news from me.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #195 of 1055 Old 10-30-2010, 08:21 AM

I just read the review of the Squeezebox Touch in Absolute Sound and I am very interested in using this device as a dedicated music server. My intent is to buy a 2 terabyte USB drive for storage and connect via optical to my Denon AVR. I would use iTunes to rip to Applelossless. My initial questions are, what brand USB drive works well with the Sqeezebox? Is Applelossless the format for the best quality sound from CDs? I have a large collection of SACDs and DVDAs is there a way to rip those formats? I would appreciate any input from the experts on this forum even if not specified in my questions. Thank you.

tmoss
post #196 of 1055 Old 10-30-2010, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmauceri View Post

I just read the review of the Squeezebox Touch in Absolute Sound and I am very interested in using this device as a dedicated music server. My intent is to buy a 2 terabyte USB drive for storage and connect via optical to my Denon AVR. I would use iTunes to rip to Applelossless. My initial questions are, what brand USB drive works well with the Sqeezebox? Is Applelossless the format for the best quality sound from CDs? I have a large collection of SACDs and DVDAs is there a way to rip those formats? I would appreciate any input from the experts on this forum even if not specified in my questions. Thank you.

I can't imagine any one brand of drive is "better" than another (unless someone posts that there are compatibility issues or something; I don't roll that way). Everyone has had bad experiences with one brand or another, which leads them to believe some other brand...that they just happen not to have issues with...is "better". Read reviews where you plan to buy it, and look in the ratings and try to avoid drives that maybe overheat, have a high failure rate, or have firmware issues.

Are far as the format that has the "best sound quality" to rip to, stay lossless...and if you're intent on using iTunes, I suppose Apple lossless is fine.

DVD-As can be ripped, but not in iTunes. DVD-As, IMO, are relatively simple...if you know your way around the PC, and understand ripping; do some reading on DVD-A Explorer and try and locate a guide from Computer Audiophile. It would be news to me if the hi-res layer of SACDs could be ripped; and I thought I knew everything there was to know about the subject.

CD

post #197 of 1055 Old 10-30-2010, 11:28 AM

I'm not set on iTunes just very familiar with it. What would you recommend for ripping?

tmoss
post #198 of 1055 Old 10-30-2010, 11:31 AM

Quote:

I can't imagine any one brand of drive is "better" than another (unless someone posts that there are compatibility issues or something; I don't roll that way). Everyone has had bad experiences with one brand or another, which leads them to believe some other brand...that they just happen not to have issues with...is "better". Read reviews where you plan to buy it, and look in the ratings and try to avoid drives that maybe overheat, have a high failure rate, or have firmware issues.

Are far as the format that has the "best sound quality" to rip to, stay lossless...and if you're intent on using iTunes, I suppose Apple lossless is fine.

DVD-As can be ripped, but not in iTunes. DVD-As, IMO, are relatively simple...if you know your way around the PC, and understand ripping; do some reading on DVD-A Explorer and try and locate a guide from Computer Audiophile. It would be news to me if the hi-res layer of SACDs could be ripped; and I thought I knew everything there was to know about the subject.

CD

I'm not set on iTunes just very familiar with it. What would you recommend for ripping?

tmoss
post #199 of 1055 Old 10-30-2010, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Don't buy a drive that gets it's power from the USB connection. Some Touch users have had problems with those.
post #200 of 1055 Old 10-30-2010, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Listen, I'm not an iGuy, but OTOH I don't know that Steve Jobs is any more the devil than Bill Gates is. People talk about being "locked-in" to the Apple world; it is "closed", and they like to control everything about their devices...but, they also work just fine.

iTunes is certainly easy...but there is some talk about how it's not the most accurate ripper. dbpoweramp to FLAC is about the hi-end de-facto standard (for non-iGuys that is). Some might try to sell you on EAC, but they just haven't heard that dbpoweramp is as good, and ten-times easier to set-up yet.

BTW, I hope you see that Iceman said to steer-away from drives that get their power from USB.

CD

post #201 of 1055 Old 10-30-2010, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcemanDallas View Post

Don't buy a drive that gets it's power from the USB connection. Some Touch users have had problems with those.

That was mention in the review.

tmoss
post #202 of 1055 Old 10-30-2010, 03:12 PM

Quote:

Listen, I'm not an iGuy, but OTOH I don't know that Steve Jobs is any more the devil than Bill Gates is. People talk about being "locked-in" to the Apple world; it is "closed", and they like to control everything about their devices...but, they also work just fine.

iTunes is certainly easy...but there is some talk about how it's not the most accurate ripper. dbpoweramp to FLAC is about the hi-end de-facto standard (for non-iGuys that is). Some might try to sell you on EAC, but they just haven't heard that dbpoweramp is as good, and ten-times easier to set-up yet.

BTW, I hope you see that Iceman said to steer-away from drives that get their power from USB.

CD

I'm all for FLAC if it's better. What programs are available to rip to FLAC. I have a good AV background but definitely a newby when it comes to digital storage and various formats. I use itunes for work and to keep my iPhone, iPad and iPod loaded with my current favorites. I never play mp3s in the house or car, always CDs. So I am a bit fussy.

tmoss
post #203 of 1055 Old 10-30-2010, 03:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

What is there to set up on EAC? Maybe like years ago. Today you put in the CD select the rip with compression and select your Format (FLAC). Done. Cant get any easier or more accurate.
post #204 of 1055 Old 10-31-2010, 03:53 AM

A couple of questions for confirmation :
I can copy my iTunes library to a USB hard drive and it will work with squeezebox?

Where can I downlaod a free copy of dbpoweramp
post #205 of 1055 Old 10-31-2010, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarrod2750 View Post

A couple of questions for confirmation :
I can copy my iTunes library to a USB hard drive and it will work with squeezebox?

Where can I downlaod a free copy of dbpoweramp

In a word, NO. Again, I don't use an USB drive with SB...so I'll step lightly here; but the SB Touch (and all other SBs for that matter) needs SB server software to feed the unit that plays. That software used to have to run on a separate PC (or NAS device) if you wanted to play your own, stored files (you could play stuff from the Internet without having to have a PC on)...which was one of the "drawbacks" of SB.

Now, with the Touch, you can run that SB server on the USB drive...so you don't need a PC on when you want to use it. However, you can't just copy your files from iTunes to a USB and rock-n-roll. For one, obviously, you need to set-up SB server on the drive first...and two, depending on what iTunes format you ripped to, I don't think they're all compatible with SB. But, if I recall correctly, you were going to rip into Apple Lossless...which is compatible with SB.

You can DL dbpoweramp here http://www.dbpoweramp.com/. Google is awesome.

CD

post #206 of 1055 Old 10-31-2010, 08:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

In a word, NO. Again, I don't use an USB drive with SB...so I'll step lightly here; but the SB Touch (and all other SBs for that matter) needs SB server software to feed the unit that plays. That software used to have to run on a separate PC (or NAS device) if you wanted to play your own, stored files (you could play stuff from the Internet without having to have a PC on)...which was one of the "drawbacks" of SB.

Now, with the Touch, you can run that SB server on the USB drive...so you don't need a PC on when you want to use it. However, you can't just copy your files from iTunes to a USB and rock-n-roll. For one, obviously, you need to set-up SB server on the drive first...and two, depending on what iTunes format you ripped to, I don't think they're all compatible with SB. But, if I recall correctly, you were going to rip into Apple Lossless...which is compatible with SB.

You can DL dbpoweramp here http://www.dbpoweramp.com/. Google is awesome.

CD

Sorry. There is a tiny SBS built into the Touch itself and that makes it cable of playing tunes from a library on a USB drive. It is clunkier and slower than using the SBS on the host but it works.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #207 of 1055 Old 10-31-2010, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sorry. There is a tiny SBS built into the Touch itself and that makes it cable of playing tunes from a library on a USB drive. It is clunkier and slower than using the SBS on the host but it works.

It is? It doesn't need to be on an SD card or anything?

That I didn't know.

CD

post #208 of 1055 Old 10-31-2010, 10:37 AM

Thanks I appreciate the response. Is there an easy way to convert the hard drive I'm going to use with SB to a server. Or does it make sense to only copy over the iTunes library. Hopefeully this makes sense and it was a follow up question to the prior posts.
post #209 of 1055 Old 10-31-2010, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarrod2750 View Post

Thanks I appreciate the response. Is there an easy way to convert the hard drive I'm going to use with SB to a server. Or does it make sense to only copy over the iTunes library. Hopefeully this makes sense and it was a follow up question to the prior posts.

If you're using a USB drive, no conversion is required. You will use the tiny SB server that comes with the SB Touch. Some NAS will run the more functional version of SB server although all don't do it well since they are underpowered, but it works. In this case you would store your music on the NAS.
post #210 of 1055 Old 10-31-2010, 01:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

It is? It doesn't need to be on an SD card or anything?

That I didn't know.

CD

It is. That is the point of the USB input.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Logitech Inc Squeezebox Touch Catalog Category Distributed Audio Video Multiroom Solutions

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page