Any opinions of the new 320gb AV HDD from WD with hd tv - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 04-21-2010, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
it's supposed to be optimized for video storage and playback blah blah blah. i'm in the market for another drive and i've been using my 640gb wd just fine for a little over a year on my wd hd tv player and it seems to look good except for a few panning and artifact issues... which i would most likely attribute to compression and/or the video card. would an "optimized for video playback" hdd change much you think? anyone tried this or read any real reviews on it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 04-21-2010, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron1264 View Post

it's supposed to be optimized for video storage and playback blah blah blah. i'm in the market for another drive and i've been using my 640gb wd just fine for a little over a year on my wd hd tv player and it seems to look good except for a few panning and artifact issues... which i would most likely attribute to compression and/or the video card. would an "optimized for video playback" hdd change much you think? anyone tried this or read any real reviews on it?

I've used several regular 1TB, 1.5TB and 2TB USB drives with my WDTV and WDTV Live and the only one that had any issues was a Seagate Freeagent 1.5TB USB drive which caused occasional brief pauses in the video. I know WD has sold some exteral drives specifically for video storage intended for use with a DVR. This is an application where the drive may be running 24/7 and it uses a more expensive 'server' class drive. However, with the WDTV you will normally only be running the drive when actually using the WDTV so a regular consumer PC class of drive should be sufficient. Since I use my WDTV (Live) for HD video, anything under 1TB is too small to be very useful.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #3 of 3 Old 04-21-2010, 11:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thank you Ron Jones you are indeed a special member.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page