MKV Quality - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 04-25-2010, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can anyone comment on how they think the quality of an MKV compares to the original DVD content? Both in Audio and Video?

Also can't you encode in both H264 and MPEG 2 into a MKV wrapper? I think H264 should be much smaller, but I dont want to drop quality... at today's HD prices I'd rather buy the space.

I think MakeMKV is only encoding in the original MPEG2 format as I dont see any option to use one or the other, but the files being produced are only slighlty smaller than the original media.

Overall I'm pretty pleased with he quality I'm getting. However, I do think I can see a difference from the original media, but I'm playing it on an OPPO BDP 83 player which I would expect to be better than the WDTV anyway.

2nd question:
I have tried one MKV file encoded from a Blue Ray disk in 264 and have trouble playing it on my WDTV Live. It locks up and quits every few minutes in the same spots. I first figured it was a glitch in the file, but you can FF past that spot it locks up but then it finds another. I'm not sure if it's a bad file or a problem with the WDTV reading that rate of compression?
Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-25-2010, 09:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Comparing a DVD to the same that went through MakeMKV I can't see any difference at all.
post #3 of 4 Old 04-25-2010, 09:40 PM

Liked: 93
MKV is just a container. As such, you can put the exact same MPEG-2+AC3 stream inside of an MKV container as you would find inside of the original VOBs. No transcoding means no encoding loss. I'm not sure what MakeMKV is doing with your DVD VOBs though, so that deserves further inspection on your part. If the output file is smaller than the originals by a bit, then is it because special features, menus, or duplicate audio tracks were stripped out?
post #4 of 4 Old 04-25-2010, 10:05 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames View Post

MKV is just a container. As such, you can put the exact same MPEG-2+AC3 stream inside of an MKV container as you would find inside of the original VOBs. No transcoding means no encoding loss. I'm not sure what MakeMKV is doing with your DVD VOBs though, so that deserves further inspection on your part. If the output file is smaller than the originals by a bit, then is it because special features, menus, or duplicate audio tracks were stripped out?

The files I am creating contain the main feature, AC3 english audio, english subtitle info, and chapters. That's it as far as I know. I'm not carrying any special features or other titles forward.

I am comparing them to an ISO created by CloneDVD (made by the same people who make AnyDVD). It will create an ISO with the original data, but still allow you to select, titles, features, languages, etc so I chose the same options.

It may not be a perfect comparison, but seems to hold up. I read somewhere that MKV's would be <10% smaller when using the MPEG 2 format, and ~ 40% smaller when using H264.

The 10% smaller came from somewhere. Could it be by combining it all in one files instead of multiple files? I think the few I did a comparison on were less than 10% smaller though.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page