Suggestions: Best media player for anime - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 04-27-2010, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can anyone suggest a good media player for anime? Looking at the feature lists of most of these new players, the situation looks pretty bleak: Brite-view doesn't seem to support ASS subtitles (or, if they do, they didn't list it in the specs), WD TV Live purportedly mutilates ASS subs pretty badly and the only media player on the (very near) horizon that explicitly supports them is the HDX Bone (hdx1080.com).

I have a feeling that one of two things is happening here:
a) Manufacturers aren't documenting the fact that their media player supports ASS and are just putting in SSA (as in, SSA 4.0+, aka ASS).
b) Support for this stream type is simply lacking.

What's your take, guys? Can anyone suggest a well-rounded player that handles the following well:
  1. Advanced SubStation Alpha streams (ASS or SSA v4.0)
  2. AAC 5.1
  3. MP4 video
  4. ... all in an MKV container ...
  5. ... at 1080p?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-29-2010, 11:28 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
As an anime fan I sure can help you-I have an Egreat EG-R1 and a WDHDTV Live-the WDTV can handle profile 5.1 h.264 encodes with absurdly high reference frame counts-say 16. It outputs everything that isn't ac3 as 2 channel pcm-aac, flac, mp3. etc. The subtitle support is excellent-but you'd better like white with black outlines-cause that's all you're gonna get-sure-you can change the size and position......? The Egreat EG-R1 has much better control over the subtitles-you can change the color ot the body and outlines-I have mine set for yellow with a red outline. It has more options for the audio too. It can't handle files with high reference frame rates as well as the WD can. Which one is better? I don't really have a favorite-I use both equally. I only use them with an attached usb hard drive-both are capable of networking but I don't use it.
The EG-R1 can handle dvd iso's with full support and bluray rips with limited support. The WD will play iso's but with no menu.
post #3 of 7 Old 07-24-2010, 11:10 PM

Hi guys Sorry if i really shouldn't bump this thread but my question's kinda the same so

Any update on this? I mean is there a media player now that can fully support ASS subs? I was set on getting the WDTV v2 but i heard that it can't display styled subs which is fine with me. But it can't also display 2 simultaneous subtitle streams. So is there one right now that can atleast display the 2 ass subtitle streams?

And if i buy WDTV v2 right now. Can the subtitle problem possibly get fixed in future firmwares? Sorry not really familiar with updates/firmwares lol
post #4 of 7 Old 07-25-2010, 01:06 AM - Thread Starter

I eventually just gave up and just hooked a PC up to my TV. Got a couple problems with audio lag on multichannel audio tracks, but I'm sure I'll sort those out eventually. You can buy an inexpensive PC, drop a HDMI card into it and call it a day much easier than you can find a reliable media box.
post #5 of 7 Old 07-25-2010, 09:14 AM
Advanced Member

That's doing it the hard way-from my perspective a media player fits the bill a lot better than a media computor.
post #6 of 7 Old 11-11-2010, 02:01 PM
Advanced Member

It looks like the Boxee Box would be the machine of choice-it fully supports ssa subs.
post #7 of 7 Old 12-06-2010, 01:56 PM
Advanced Member

Actually I've had a Popcorn Hour A210 for a few days and it works quite well with ass and ssa subtitles-it supports the special effects very well.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page