Tired of Waiting for Popbox...What works now? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 47 Old 05-13-2010, 09:12 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
stanross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
That's right Gentlemen. I've been minding my p's and q's since the Consumer Electronics Show in January waiting for this little black box. I've given the folks at Popcorn hour the benefit of the doubt and endured all the crappy hate mail on this board with a smile on my face. March came and went. So did my pre-order. The best I can get is maybe June. It was "we ship at the end of March" so "maybe June" doesn't sound so good. I could be sitting here in the fall waiting to see if they have shipped yet. While Popcorn tries to figure out how to support .mt2s files, and 2nd generation hd audio passthru's, I'd like to get out the stone-age and buy a media streamer.

Is there a media streamer currently available that works 99% of the time on most (not all) of the formats in use ? 1st Generation audio and internet radio. I'm looking for the same configuration as the promise box (no bays) with ethernet port for under $200. Find an alternative that is plausible with some track record. It doesn't have to be as good as the hype surrounding the promise box, because it is just a promise. Show me something that just works and works well.

Stan Ross

Sarasota, Florida
stanross is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 47 Old 05-14-2010, 05:41 AM
Senior Member
 
eskro's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 257
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
well you can easily go with a popcorn a-200...

plays everything and is just as good as the popbox!

soon, it'll playback DTS-HD MA from M2TS's & MKV's!

see video proof here --> http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1248729
eskro is offline  
post #3 of 47 Old 05-14-2010, 05:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
dbone1026's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 11,335
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 71
For under $200 you are going to be hard pressed to find any player that supports HD Audio pass thru. The PCH A200 (I think $179) will give you hd audio from Blu Ray structure, and Syabas already has videos posted showing that the new SDK for the PCH is supporting HD Audio pass thru from both m2ts and mkv. The original PCH A100/A110 support HD AUdio pass thru from standalone m2ts, and I am sure you can find on ebay for under $200. Aside from that, the only other players that support HD Audio pass thru are the Dune Base/Prime (in excess of $349), PCH C-200 ($299) and the HDX-BD1 (I think around $230 and havent heard good things about).

The Xtreamer just released updated models of their players which are supposed to support HD Audio but the feature is not available yet. I also expect the other realtek players to do the same, but unfortunately these are just promised features right now

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

dbone1026 is offline  
post #4 of 47 Old 05-14-2010, 05:49 AM
Senior Member
 
eskro's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 257
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
if i wasn't waiting the POPBOX, i would buy the PCH A-200 hands down!
eskro is offline  
post #5 of 47 Old 05-14-2010, 06:09 AM
AVS Special Member
 
CDLehner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Dark Side of the Moon-Right Side of the Bay, MD
Posts: 9,117
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskro View Post

if i wasn't waiting the POPBOX, i would buy the PCH A-200 hands down!

Too noisy; and don't remind me about the fanless case. Who wants to spend ~$200 on a streamer, and then have to shell out for another case?

CD

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
CDLehner is offline  
post #6 of 47 Old 05-14-2010, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member
 
blackssr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: South Florida
Posts: 2,630
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanross View Post

That's right Gentlemen. I've been minding my p's and q's since the Consumer Electronics Show in January waiting for this little black box. I've given the folks at Popcorn hour the benefit of the doubt and endured all the crappy hate mail on this board with a smile on my face. March came and went. So did my pre-order. The best I can get is maybe June. It was "we ship at the end of March" so "maybe June" doesn't sound so good. I could be sitting here in the fall waiting to see if they have shipped yet. While Popcorn tries to figure out how to support .mt2s files, and 2nd generation hd audio passthru's, I'd like to get out the stone-age and buy a media streamer.

Is there a media streamer currently available that works 99% of the time on most (not all) of the formats in use ? 1st Generation audio and internet radio. I'm looking for the same configuration as the promise box (no bays) with ethernet port for under $200. Find an alternative that is plausible with some track record. It doesn't have to be as good as the hype surrounding the promise box, because it is just a promise. Show me something that just works and works well.

Stan Ross

Sarasota, Florida

The only player ready at this time is the Dune Base but out of your price range.
blackssr is online now  
post #7 of 47 Old 05-14-2010, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Brajesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Metro Atlanta
Posts: 5,925
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Safe to say we're all disappointed the PopBox didn't launch in March, but price/features-wise, it'll be hard to beat. I'll wait until June as they've promised, but if there's another delay, I'm out. It'll be the Dune or maybe Xtreamer Pro. The latter only if hd audio comes as promised.

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
Brajesh is offline  
post #8 of 47 Old 05-14-2010, 07:39 AM
Advanced Member
 
kneedragger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 806
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I was waiting for the Popbox too, but while I still use my A-100 that can't rewind properly I chose not to buy another PCH. It has some supposed nice features but...

XBMC baby!
kneedragger is offline  
post #9 of 47 Old 05-14-2010, 07:44 AM
Senior Member
 
eskro's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 257
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
well, doesn't mean that your A-100 can't rewind properly that PCH is not good,,,

actually, im pretty sure that PopBox will deliver!!
eskro is offline  
post #10 of 47 Old 05-14-2010, 08:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
jmpage2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 10,053
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post

Too noisy; and don't remind me about the fanless case. Who wants to spend ~$200 on a streamer, and then have to shell out for another case?

CD

There are plenty of ways to mod the case on the A200 that would cool it down noticeably and not require buying the aftermarket case.

One guy simply drilled some holes over the fan, installed a resistor on the case lead wire to slow it down and still got lower temps than the stock case.

Hopefully though Syabas, after the Popbox is released, will update the A200 to an A210 with a passive cooling solution.
jmpage2 is offline  
post #11 of 47 Old 05-14-2010, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member
 
blackssr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: South Florida
Posts: 2,630
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskro View Post

well, doesn't mean that your A-100 can't rewind properly that PCH is not good,,,

actually, im pretty sure that PopBox will deliver!!

I can appreciate your confidence in that it will deliver, but the track record of these manufacturers, in keeping promises, has not been too good. Lets wait and see who keeps promises and who doesn't. I have gotten taken several times myself with false promises, and now I am the smarter consumer for it. I would wait for reviews from other forums members before buying anything. I want confirmation from someone with the equipment to confirm the unit bitstreams hidef audio and has the power to pull from a server without stutter. Lcoal drives attached to unit proves nothing.
blackssr is online now  
post #12 of 47 Old 05-14-2010, 08:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
jmpage2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 10,053
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 77
I really don't understand where all this doom and gloom comes from. From the talk you'd think the Popbox was $499 and there was no return policy.

It's $129 for crissake

Amazon has a generous return policy for 60 days from purchase

So, if this device gives you even a passing interest you pre-order one and if it does not satisfy your requirements you return it, or potentially eBay it at a profit as I would fully anticipate backorders for the first few months on them just like with the A200/C200.
jmpage2 is offline  
post #13 of 47 Old 05-14-2010, 09:43 AM
Senior Member
 
eskro's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 257
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hidef audio from server without stutter i hope so :P
eskro is offline  
post #14 of 47 Old 05-14-2010, 09:49 AM
Senior Member
 
haggisbingo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 425
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post

I really don't understand where all this doom and gloom comes from. From the talk you'd think the Popbox was $499 and there was no return policy.

It's $129 for crissake

Amazon has a generous return policy for 60 days from purchase

So, if this device gives you even a passing interest you pre-order one and if it does not satisfy your requirements you return it, or potentially eBay it at a profit as I would fully anticipate backorders for the first few months on them just like with the A200/C200.

The problem is the promises not delivered on. And if you want Netflix (I don't know why you wouldn't if in US) I wouldn't touch Popbox or Popcorn Hour. For Premium streaming, the PS3 or even the Wii streams Netflix great with great interfaces.
There's probably a good network streamer out there that actually does stream Netflix too, but that box ain't from Syabas...
haggisbingo is offline  
post #15 of 47 Old 05-14-2010, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member
 
blackssr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: South Florida
Posts: 2,630
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post

I really don't understand where all this doom and gloom comes from. From the talk you'd think the Popbox was $499 and there was no return policy.

It's $129 for crissake

Amazon has a generous return policy for 60 days from purchase

So, if this device gives you even a passing interest you pre-order one and if it does not satisfy your requirements you return it, or potentially eBay it at a profit as I would fully anticipate backorders for the first few months on them just like with the A200/C200.

Money is not the case here.. AND NEVER WAS WITH ME... It is the issue of sell now and fix later that I have a problem with.. my time is too valuable to waste on a product that doesn't do what I want it to... I want products that work as promised. Nothing more and certainly not less.
blackssr is online now  
post #16 of 47 Old 05-14-2010, 10:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
jmpage2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 10,053
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 77
All streamers have issues, that's reality. It's just a matter of picking one with the fewest problems that affect you.

We don't have to be happy about it but at $129 it's not like anyone's going to go broke buying one of these.
jmpage2 is offline  
post #17 of 47 Old 05-14-2010, 10:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
dbone1026's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 11,335
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggisbingo View Post

The problem is the promises not delivered on. And if you want Netflix (I don't know why you wouldn't if in US) I wouldn't touch Popbox or Popcorn Hour. For Premium streaming, the PS3 or even the Wii streams Netflix great with great interfaces.
There's probably a good network streamer out there that actually does stream Netflix too, but that box ain't from Syabas...

Why not wait until we officially know one way or the other if netflix will be present in the Popbox before writing it off

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

dbone1026 is offline  
post #18 of 47 Old 05-14-2010, 11:35 AM
Senior Member
 
haggisbingo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 425
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

Why not wait until we officially know one way or the other if netflix will be present in the Popbox before writing it off

You're right. But the key here is wait. Netflix (and other things) have been promised before by Syabas before and not delivered..
haggisbingo is offline  
post #19 of 47 Old 05-14-2010, 12:35 PM
Senior Member
 
Nitemage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Vestal, NY
Posts: 284
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post

Too noisy; and don't remind me about the fanless case. Who wants to spend ~$200 on a streamer, and then have to shell out for another case?

CD

If you are using it for streaming just unplug the fan. The fan only needs to run if you are going to put a hard drive in the case.
Nitemage is offline  
post #20 of 47 Old 05-14-2010, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mallu2u's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Sterling, VA
Posts: 3,073
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Add another to the list of waiting for Popbox to see if its worth it. Until then using WD Live and Samsung DVD for media and Netflix resp. Will read early reviews before ordering....
mallu2u is offline  
post #21 of 47 Old 05-14-2010, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Brajesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Metro Atlanta
Posts: 5,925
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Assuming the PopBox supports hd audio from TS, M2TS & MKV via a firmware update as promised by Werner, is there any reason to consider the A-200/C-200? I don't need a Blu-ray drive and I'm building a WHS for my media soon. Also, the BD-Lite menu is fine by me. I don't see why anyone with my kind of setup would want the A-200/C-200... YAMJ as an alternative to their IMDb scraping maybe? NMT apps?

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
Brajesh is offline  
post #22 of 47 Old 05-14-2010, 01:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
jmpage2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 10,053
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh View Post

Assuming the PopBox supports hd audio from TS, M2TS & MKV via a firmware update as promised by Werner, is there any reason to consider the A-200/C-200? I don't need a Blu-ray drive and I'm building a WHS for my media soon. Also, the BD-Lite menu is fine by me. I don't see why anyone with my kind of setup would want the A-200/C-200... YAMJ as an alternative to their IMDb scraping maybe? NMT apps?

The Popbox has a fixed skin with no user customization. It will have advertisements built into the UI that you will not be able to change.

If these things don't bother you then the Popbox looks like a pretty good buy, assuming it does what Syabas say it will do with minimal bugs.

Otherwise, if you want more customization, etc, then the A200 is more flexible in that regard and no advertising.
jmpage2 is offline  
post #23 of 47 Old 05-14-2010, 01:43 PM
Senior Member
 
sinker442's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 322
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitemage View Post

If you are using it for streaming just unplug the fan. The fan only needs to run if you are going to put a hard drive in the case.

DO NOT UNPLUG THE A-200 FAN
even without a hard drive inside, the temperatures inside the box are very high without the fan, because of the really bad designed and plastic case.
Check networkmediatank.com for detailed temperature measurements!
sinker442 is offline  
post #24 of 47 Old 05-14-2010, 02:11 PM
Advanced Member
 
kneedragger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 806
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskro View Post

well, doesn't mean that your A-100 can't rewind properly that PCH is not good,,,

actually, im pretty sure that PopBox will deliver!!

Im not saying they aren't good. I just don't like having one of company A's products that has some bugs still. Which I consider minor that was never fixed.

Then company A comes out with more products, but never fixing the first one.


" Hey sorry we couldn't fix the A-100, but if you buy the new box we don't have that bug. This new box isn't perfect, but we are working on it though".....Hmmm.... Ok, I'll spend more money when Im happy with the A-100 except for minor bugs.
kneedragger is offline  
post #25 of 47 Old 05-14-2010, 03:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
jmpage2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 10,053
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by kneedragger View Post

Im not saying they aren't good. I just don't like having one of company A's products that has some bugs still. Which I consider minor that was never fixed.

Then company A comes out with more products, but never fixing the first one.


" Hey sorry we couldn't fix the A-100, but if you buy the new box we don't have that bug. This new box isn't perfect, but we are working on it though".....Hmmm.... Ok, I'll spend more money when Im happy with the A-100 except for minor bugs.

I won't say it's acceptable but this has been the case with ALL companies products.

I would love for nothing else than an Apple TV that allowed for purchase of media through iTunes AND also was compatible with our own ripped media.

Unfortunately all of the big companies out there who could really shake things up are far too cozy with the media companies, so won't happen, at least not for quite some time.
jmpage2 is offline  
post #26 of 47 Old 05-14-2010, 03:25 PM
Senior Member
 
eskro's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 257
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
your right,,, i agree!

but in the MEdiaBox world, you'll experience or hear bad things from any companies....

thats just the way it is....
eskro is offline  
post #27 of 47 Old 05-14-2010, 03:34 PM
Senior Member
 
simpleHT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 465
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggisbingo View Post

The problem is the promises not delivered on. And if you want Netflix (I don't know why you wouldn't if in US) I wouldn't touch Popbox or Popcorn Hour. For Premium streaming, the PS3 or even the Wii streams Netflix great with great interfaces.
There's probably a good network streamer out there that actually does stream Netflix too, but that box ain't from Syabas...

You just said it! PS3, wii and most blu-ray players can stream netflix. At least one of these devices are currently in our entertainment room. So, why is netflix in popbox still so important? I would rather have the box focus on other issues such as hd audio and wife-friendly UI than bundling the redundant netflix.
simpleHT is offline  
post #28 of 47 Old 05-14-2010, 06:41 PM
Senior Member
 
ohbrian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Castro Valley, CA
Posts: 280
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I agree. I think I can stream netflix from everything in my house except my coffee maker...no wait the coffee maker just got a firmware update and can stream netflix now too. I would worry about the other features first...

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpleHT View Post

You just said it! PS3, wii and most blu-ray players can stream netflix. At least one of these devices are currently in our entertainment room. So, why is netflix in popbox still so important? I would rather have the box focus on other issues such as hd audio and wife-friendly UI than bundling the redundant netflix.

ohbrian is offline  
post #29 of 47 Old 05-14-2010, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member
 
dogmanky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Spring Hill, TN
Posts: 1,129
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I get tired of hearing all the hate for PCH. I bought an A-100 when there were only a few options for streaming. It was buggy as hell and I updated the FW every opportunity I got. I'm not the president of PCH and I didn't sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night.. HOWEVER...

PCH has delivered me and my kids more enjoyment than the 360, PS3, PSP, etc etc.. all together (with possible exception to XBMC on the orig. Xbox).

Popbox will deliver.. and yea.. my guess is it wont be perfect on the initial firmware. Whatever...

There are numerous choices now-a-days and PCH isn't making anyone wait on them. If you can't wait and you expect perfection.. then best to move on. If you want a streamer that will outperform most the rest.. and willing to be patient for fixes and updates, then I suggest giving them a chance. I did.. and I don't regret it for a second.

ohh and btw.. there are $105 A-110's now at the PCH site.. I just bought one as a back up to hold me over till the streamer wars settle down.

dogmanky is offline  
post #30 of 47 Old 05-14-2010, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member
 
primetimeguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: St. Paul, MN
Posts: 3,885
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by kneedragger View Post

I was waiting for the Popbox too, but while I still use my A-100 that can't rewind properly I chose not to buy another PCH. It has some supposed nice features but...

XBMC baby!

How about XBMC on NMT!

http://www.networkedmediatank.com/sh....php?tid=40300
primetimeguy is online now  
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off