Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 1827 Old 10-14-2010, 02:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post

No, I don't see where you are going at all. Your implying what I do is go crap over every thread. Which is light years from the truth.

No, just this thread.

Quote:

As for you, you are a super genius because when Google TV was first announced I could not get anyone at AVS to answer a simple question: What does it do? Yet you knew it was the most feature rich of the three.

I'm not a genius, I just know how to search the Internet and read.

Quote:

I don't pretend to be objective. When Logitech announced the device and promised it was a full blown Harmony, I was excited. When they decided it wasn't, I picked apart the multitudinous flaws with the device. Perhaps you're looking for something different out of AVS than many, but nowhere does this thread say "For GoogleTV Fanboys Only".

If you have read any of my other posts, you will see that I agree that Logitech (not Google) were misleading about the controller(s) for the Revue. How can I be a Fanboy when the device hasn't even come out yet? Doesn't being a Fanboy suggested I'm biased against other products. Haven't I already proved that I'm not in one of my last posts where I list all the Apple products I've bought and how much I love Apple?

Throwing the Fanboy term around reminds me of people who say we are racist if we disagree with Obama. (I know you are not American, but I think you get my point)

I have asked you several times, what exactly you were expecting from Google TV, and you still have not answered. That makes me wonder why you are on this thread bashing this product. Again, I am not on an Apple thread bashing Apple TV, because I already know Apple TV does not do enough to make me want one. If Apple promised to do X, Y, and Z and I was interested in that, I would be on an Apple thread discussing it. And if Apple did not do X, Y, and Z as promised, I would be upset and would post negative comments about that. (maybe not as negative as your comments though).

------------------------------
TV: Samsung LNT4671F
BD-DVD: Oppo BDP-83
Receiver: Onkyo TX-SR606
Logitech Revue (Google TV)
Cisco 8640HDC DVR (v. ODN 4.0.2_4)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 1827 Old 10-14-2010, 03:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse View Post

Re-writing history?! They were so opposed to the idea that they agreed to sell DRM-laden music for years before finally talking the RIAA into backing down?

LOL... Whatever... Spoken like a true fanboi. Do you believe everything that comes out of Cuppertino?

MP3's were just as much a threat to Apple's bottom line as mkv's are today. THAT was the point. If Apple was so anti-DRM, they'd be selling mkv's as we speak.

Now, now... I am sorry but the public record doesn't support what you are saying.

Philip
post #363 of 1827 Old 10-14-2010, 04:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 382
I'm American. I voted for Obama. I believe many people who are racist don't agree with Obama. I don't believe that because they disagree with Obama they are racist. I also believe it's pretty ridiculous when Americans start telling other Americans they can't have a particular opinion about Obama, GoogleTV or the Yankees. I'm kind of absolutist on your right to have an opinion that differs from mine. But I don't have to like that opinion.

Here, by the way, is a marvelous review of the Sony keyboard/GoogleTV that basically could've been written more harshly, but summarizes the epic-failure-in-the-making that is the controller.

I expected the first-generation GoogleTV to actually be one box that does all things well. I've actually stated that several times; you've decided not to read that. That's your right.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
post #364 of 1827 Old 10-14-2010, 04:40 AM

Quote:

I'm American. I voted for Obama. I believe many people who are racist don't agree with Obama. I don't believe that because they disagree with Obama they are racist. I also believe it's pretty ridiculous when Americans start telling other Americans they can't have a particular opinion about Obama, GoogleTV or the Yankees. I'm kind of absolutist on your right to have an opinion that differs from mine. But I don't have to like that opinion.

Here, by the way, is a marvelous review of the Sony keyboard/GoogleTV that basically could've been written more harshly, but summarizes the epic-failure-in-the-making that is the controller.

I expected the first-generation GoogleTV to actually be one box that does all things well. I've actually stated that several times; you've decided not to read that. That's your right.

Ok,...

so you thought Google TV was going to be some magic box that did everything and did everything well. (which is very vague)

but, now you think it does nothing, and nothing well. (DOA, crap, and all that)

Well, those are interesting opinions, but you are certainly entitled to them.

Agree to disagree.

My apologies for the American mix up.

post #365 of 1827 Old 10-14-2010, 05:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:

Wow, a lot to digest. All I can say is sorry to hear you voted for Obama

All I know is for me it is best just to wait until GoogleTV gets into the public before drawing any conclusions. As of now GoogleTV does not interest me, but that could easily change over time as it matures.

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

post #366 of 1827 Old 10-14-2010, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opentoe View Post

But the Logitech video that was posted in this thread the guys said the Revue has the best Harmony remote built inside of it. And that cost a lot of money he says. Then to hear that the features have been cut in half or more, he didn't say that in the video.

The Engadget article (http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/20/l...tphone-apps-we) has pictures clearly showing multiple activities (Watch TV, Listen to CD's, Play Xbox 360). They even have a video demonstrating these activities on an Iphone (just noticed this article has May 20th date). So has Logictech confirmed this functionality has been removed?

post #367 of 1827 Old 10-14-2010, 07:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

@Sushinut, "crap" means I think the product is bad. "Stillborn" means I think the product will fail. That distinction should be obvious, but if it isn't, I don't know what to tell you.

@ars, since this is a family friendly forum, go frack yourself. What you call vision, I call your demented reality where 200 million cable boxes magically disappear -- even though they're required -- but your grandma is using a 2-handed keyboard like the typical basement-dwelling shut in. I could care less if you ignore me because I haven't an iota of respect for you. Satisfied? Good.

You are amazingly rude. And given you contribute nothing I shall be happy to ignore you.

If a carpenter makes a door he should get money every time someone uses it - he's also an "artist".
post #368 of 1827 Old 10-14-2010, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcd View Post

Not to be negative here but that article is just strange. It's becoming harder and harder to get any real information from the internet. It's almost like searching for a lost jewel in a garbage dump.
http://universal-tool.blogspot.com/2...op-piracy.html
philip

What Apple is trying to do, is instead of syncing with your computer, you will have to sync with their servers , you do not own ( physically ) the movie you just bought from itunes.
The movie (file) is over there in the cloud, therefore hard to lend it to your brother or your son to watch it in their home. Unless you lend him, the ATV to take it home, with your username and passwords.
post #369 of 1827 Old 10-14-2010, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj4monie View Post

People don't want to add yet another device to their TV. So Revue/GoogleTV/Sony don't address these problems.

I don't think you understand what Google TV is. Google TV is an architecture for integrating online content with content from cable, satellite, and other sources. It is a set of designs, standards, and software. It is not a hardware device.

Logitech is releasing a stand-alone device incorporating Google TV, but others, such as Sony, will build it into TVs and other devices.

-- Roger
post #370 of 1827 Old 10-14-2010, 07:59 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

2) Not only is physical media "not going away" (a topic for another day), nearly all digital content stored in homes comes from physical media you own (DVD, CD, BluRay) or that someone else owned (pirated versions thereof). A bunch more comes from TV-based Torrent files. None of these will play on GoogleTV.

Where are you hearing this? Last I heard, GTV should play a very good number of video formats, and physical media will depend entirely on the hardware (ie Sony's BD GTV (which makes me wonder why where isn't a BD player in the TVs they're releasing)). But, in terms of physical media, GTV is at worst on equal footing with the other options.

Now, I already know Logitech's track record for the accuracy of their claims. And I know the list of supported formats didn't include mkv, but they've "said" over and over again it will be supported. I've lived with converting my TV shows for Apple TV this long. IF GTV won't support my video formats (and that's a big IF, because we don't really know yet), I COULD deal with that if I'm happy enough with the rest of what it brings to the table (another big if). Otherwise, I'll probably be happier with the Boxee Box. Like I've said before, I was already happy with Boxee; its GTVs new promises that are making me wait (nevermind the fact that neither is available yet).

Now, that said, if GTV doesn't support these formats out of the box, it definitely WILL via an app. Android has proven that. The question there is, will there be a GOOD app, or will it be like NitoTV on Apple TV, something I don't even want to use?

The cost is certainly prohibitive at the moment. The $300 Logitech Revue, $400 Sony Pile and overly expensive Sony TVs (which, it seems, don't robust enough hardware to do much) are high, no doubt. But I'm positive in a year there will be much cheaper implementations (and probably better) and the Boxee Box will be left on the outside as the expensive one. That doesn't do much for us today, but Apple TV and Roku have been around a lot longer, a few years at least? And their launch prices were much higher than they are today. The fact that GTV is available to multiple manufacturers means its iterations will come out much faster. From a hardware standpoint, they're all basically the exact same thing.

I agree, Rogo, that a keyboard in the livingroom isn't going to be popular. People might have it there, but they are ABSOLUTELY not going to want to use it to replace a regular remote. We've both mentioned ONE HANDED USE and the other important thing is being able to use the remote in the dark. You can't do that with a keyboard. If GTV is really as keyboard centric as you're saying, it either won't become the next-big-thing or they'll figure it out and fix it.

My biggest gripe is that the cell phone remote is even more ridiculous than a keyboard. I mean, I basically look at the remote app as a complete non-factor. Charging the phone is one thing, but has anyone tried it? I downloaded the Boxee remote app for my Droid X and toyed with it exactly twice. No idea what possessed me to try it a second time. There's no tactile feel so you absolutely cannot use it without looking directly at it. As in, so bad even changing channels would suck. Then there are simple use-case problems. Get a call while you're watching an action movie? Now the caller has to sit through a minute of you saying "what? hold on... hold on.. what was that?" while you fumble with your phone trying to pause the movie or turn the volume down. (Speaking of which, if you ever want a miserable experience, try using a 2nd gen iPod, with the capacitive buttons)
post #371 of 1827 Old 10-14-2010, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qoncept View Post

My biggest gripe is that the cell phone remote is even more ridiculous than a keyboard. I mean, I basically look at the remote app as a complete non-factor. Charging the phone is one thing, but has anyone tried it? I downloaded the Boxee remote app for my Droid X and toyed with it exactly twice. No idea what possessed me to try it a second time. There's no tactile feel so you absolutely cannot use it without looking directly at it. As in, so bad even changing channels would suck. Then there are simple use-case problems. Get a call while you're watching an action movie? Now the caller has to sit through a minute of you saying "what? hold on... hold on.. what was that?" while you fumble with your phone trying to pause the movie or turn the volume down. (Speaking of which, if you ever want a miserable experience, try using a 2nd gen iPod, with the capacitive buttons)

I'm with you on this. I doubt I'll be using my Android phone as my primary remote. But because it is free, I'll install it for fun.

The big question I see is what type of remote should be used for Google TV. My plan is to use my Harmony Universal remote as my primary remote, but when I need to type something for web surfing or search, I'll use the mini Logitech keyboard remote. (Yes I paid the extra $130 for it. Not happy about the price) I could possibly use my iPad, but probably won't.

What are the alternative remotes for a Google TV? Using a regular style remote and an onscreen keyboard? Does Google TV already have an on screen keyboard? If not, couldn't an app be created to do it? I personally don't like on screen keyboards. Can a qwerty keyboard be crammed into a single handed remote? Wouldn't that be too small? I'm sure companies are working on this problem right now. I personally don't care for the bigger keyboard.

post #372 of 1827 Old 10-14-2010, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenEyez View Post

Actually, i was keeping my hopes up .

Booo. No MKV support, not HD audio bitstreaming. Quite depressing. They are trowing away a lot of the capabilities the CE4100 has, which even handles 3D Blu Ray from Intels specs. I hope somebody else besides Logitech is working on a similar box based on this platform.

MKV is now listed as supported on the Revue Site.
post #373 of 1827 Old 10-14-2010, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fshagan View Post

Woohoo!
post #374 of 1827 Old 10-14-2010, 09:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:

So it appears there is no support for VC-1 which is a shame (in either m2ts or mkv)

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

post #375 of 1827 Old 10-14-2010, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

So it appears there is no support for VC-1 which is a shame (in either m2ts or mkv)

Equally as disconcerting is the lack of Mpeg2 as a video supported. No Mpeg2 and no VC-1 is a *serious* detriment to considering this thing as any kind of true media player.

Would it be possible to add these as an "app?" Say, within an add-on player? if not this thing is useless as a general purpose player (that everyone thinks it will become.)

-Suntan
post #376 of 1827 Old 10-14-2010, 09:58 AM

When you type in a show on Google, on the left side, you can pick a season and an episode, and it will find a streaming version of it for you. (google.com)
Google must be gearing up for Google TV and chrome browser .

Exemple South Park :
http://www.google.com/search?aq=f&so...8&q=south+park

Futurama :
http://www.google.com/search?aq=f&so...996d56de453056

Try other tv show
post #377 of 1827 Old 10-14-2010, 10:21 AM

I guess we all have different expectations, but I was hoping that Google TV would enable what I call a "convergence device".

I think all of us here are used to switching inputs, turning on a HTPC, twisting this and tweaking that to get the YouTube video of the kids on the TV. Many of us have tried to show off our tech prowess by firing up the devices in front of less techy guests to have their eyes glaze over as we fiddle about because something new that has never happened before suddenly popped up.

Right now, using XBMC on a HTPC works for my local content stored on my WHS, and getting to the grandkids videos on YouTube. My wife loves it when I can start a slideshow on the TV. But she won't touch the thing.

So a box that integrates with a DVR like the Revue does with Dish, and probably other STBs later on, is close. But it looks like the UI is still klunky. Look at the description of how to view your videos on the Revue:

Quote:

To watch a video using Logitech Media player:

1. From the Google TV Home screen, go to Applications > Logitech Media player.
2. Select the source you want to access from the Networked sources or USB sources list.
3. Navigate to and select the video folder from your server.
4. Use the arrow keys to navigate to the video you want and press OK to play.

It's not quite there yet. A "My Movies" icon would be better, without regard to where on the home network the movies are stored. The XBMC UI is actually quite good in this respect.

Other vendors may get closer to the ideal.
post #378 of 1827 Old 10-14-2010, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:

I guess we all have different expectations, but I was hoping that Google TV would enable what I call a "convergence device".

It is, the problem is each of us have a different idea of the scope of what is converged
post #379 of 1827 Old 10-14-2010, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qoncept View Post

You should try the official XBMC remote, load up a quick library and scrape some metadata- the remote is pretty cool. You can visually navigate your library on the screen- poster art, season art, episode descriptions. I don't see how that would work with the GTV off the top of my head but it really takes care of the lack of tactile buttons problem.
post #380 of 1827 Old 10-14-2010, 10:35 AM

Quote:

wow, just like that MKV is supported . It seems like the 40GB limit may just be a limit from a support point of view and connecting an external HDD may actually work. Closer to "buy" now than "wait and see".
post #381 of 1827 Old 10-14-2010, 10:35 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 604
Google Tv seems like a great thing to have built into a TV or even another device like a BD player. But as a stand alone device I don't really see a compelling reason to get it. Especially with the high price tag.

As a stand alone product it's even a divergent device since I need to take my exisiting DVR output and feed it into the Google TV box.
Now I would like for GoogleTV to be integrated into a TiVo or into a media player(like my C200)

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #382 of 1827 Old 10-14-2010, 10:45 AM

Quote:

It's not quite there yet. A "My Movies" icon would be better, without regard to where on the home network the movies are stored. The XBMC UI is actually quite good in this respect.

Other vendors may get closer to the ideal.

I'm hoping we end up with applications like XBMC "lite" or something to the effect once the SDK is released. I've been looking for something that will do MKV's via DLNA/UPNP, Picasa, Amazon, Netflix, Pandora/Last.fm, Hulu, etc (Skype would be lovely too) for so long and this is about as close as it has gotten outside of the traditional HTPC. I love the PC in the living room but it's not family friendly at all- everyone is tired of walking up to the screen to mouse or type something in. I've pulled off remotes but they only work well with media center software like WMC or XBMC- forget it if you want to switch over to Amazon VOD because that's not integrated with the media center software. Ultimately you're dealing with a full blown desktop OS which wasn't meant for use from the couch or you're using something like XBMC Live, MythTV and you're losing all the nice "application" like access to certain online sources. Personally given the amount of sources we want to pull from- the HTPC frustrations have been the only way. GoogleTV looks to have it all down but if the MKV's don't play out the door I'm content transcoding on the fly while waiting for a solution to present itself. It's not like that problem hasn't reared its head before.
post #383 of 1827 Old 10-14-2010, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtthwgrms View Post

I'm hoping we end up with applications like XBMC "lite" or something to the effect once the SDK is released.

I'm almost positive we'll see it. I don't think the XBMC devs would work so hard to run it on hacked Apple TVs (with which they can't play 1080p content) and not run it as an app on an open GTV. I would even go so far as to say that I think Boxee is probably going to fail with its current model and will become something like an Android "home replacement" on GTV. I hope their investors are listening.

What I've never understood is why people are still using XBMC over Boxee. I haven't toyed with XBMC lately (on my original Xbox I absolutely loved it; too bad the hardware is so slow), but Boxee's UI is far better with all the same functionality and more. And that's ignoring the love-it-or-ignore-it social aspect of Boxee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtthwgrms View Post

You should try the official XBMC remote, load up a quick library and scrape some metadata- the remote is pretty cool. You can visually navigate your library on the screen- poster art, season art, episode descriptions. I don't see how that would work with the GTV off the top of my head but it really takes care of the lack of tactile buttons problem.

I've tried that remote (with Boxee). It's neat, but it feels like what it is -- using a phone to control my TV. Much more comfortable with a Harmony remote. I guess I don't really see the value in browsing my library on an expensive device to find a movie when I'm sitting in front of the TV showing me all the same info. The killer is that I've decided I absolutely do not want an HTPC. I'm a tinkerer, but when I watch TV I want to relax, not fight through little problems.

One thing I can see GTV doing that could be pretty cool is using the video conferencing to watch shows together with remote friends. You can hear each others comments in real time. I wouldn't use it, but I bet a lot of people would think it was awesome. Wonder if they'll implement it. Or if I will...

My suspicion is that I'd be happy with either the Boxee Box or GTV. But I also feel like the GTV has a ton more potential, I'm sure by the end of the year it'll be a lot more stable and, if that's right, I definitely don't see Boxee having any longevity.
post #384 of 1827 Old 10-14-2010, 11:32 AM

I still see a lot of comments about what media formats/codecs the GTV will or won't be able to play. Am I wrong to think that all you would need is an app for that? (Assuming someone creates one when the SDK is released)

Is there some kind of hardware limitation in the Revue that would not allow that? Isn't the Android platform open source? I guess I'm assuming any developer would have complete access to the Revue hardware, and can create a media player app that plays EVERY format. Am I wrong?

post #385 of 1827 Old 10-14-2010, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dack70 View Post

I still see a lot of comments about what media formats/codecs the GTV will or won't be able to play. Am I wrong to think that all you would need is an app for that? (Assuming someone creates one when the SDK is released)

Is there some kind of hardware limitation in the Revue that would not allow that? Isn't the Android platform open source? I guess I'm assuming any developer would have complete access to the Revue hardware, and can create a media player app that plays EVERY format. Am I wrong?

There will almost certainly be an app for it on GTV and almost certainly will not on ATV (without hacking). The problem is, it may not offer the same experience. You'd be watching a movie with different software than you normally do. Your XYZ format movie may not show in the same list as every other movie you own. It might just have an ugly font for subtitles. It might integrate seemlessly. No telling really.

The other thing I really wish I could see is how metadata for media collections will work. ATV pulls the metadata from the file, which you can create in iTunes. Boxee uses a hacky method of pulling the information in from IMDB based solely on the filename, without a reasonable way to change it, and won't even list anything it doesnt find at IMDB. You can use a 3rd party app to add them, but if you replace your Boxee Box, it's all lost.
post #386 of 1827 Old 10-14-2010, 11:58 AM

Quote:

No, you're not wrong to think that.

Quote:

No. The Revue hardware is fully capable. From what I understand, it uses the same SoC as the Boxee Box (Intel Atom CE4100).

Yes. Google TV is based on Android 2.1 (Eclair) at launch and will be open-sourced sometime early next year. This is the same philosophy that has been so successful on smartphones.

Complete access to the hardware may be a stretch as it depends on what features the API's expose when the SDK is released early next year. You are not at all wrong to think that a media player app will be released that plays basically every format. Maybe it'll be a port of Boxee, or XBMC, or VLC, or something else entirely.

I don't understand all of the hand-wringing going on about what formats "Google TV" supports. The statement itself is misleading as Google TV is a platform, not any one device. Again, it follows the Android model that has been so successful in the smartphone realm. If people are hung up about what these devices will be capable of next week on day one, then they should say so and temper some of the comments characterizing the Google TV platform as some kind of failure. It indicates either a lack of understanding or trollish behavior on their part.

I give it six months before the Logitech Revue or the Sony devices can playback anything you throw at it.
post #387 of 1827 Old 10-14-2010, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm9843 View Post

No, you're not wrong to think that.

No. The Revue hardware is fully capable. From what I understand, it uses the same SoC as the Boxee Box (Intel Atom CE4100).

Yes. Google TV is based on Android 2.1 (Eclair) at launch and will be open-sourced sometime early next year. This is the same philosophy that has been so successful on smartphones.

Complete access to the hardware may be a stretch as it depends on what features the API's expose when the SDK is released early next year. You are not at all wrong to think that a media player app will be released that plays basically every format. Maybe it'll be a port of Boxee, or XBMC, or VLC, or something else entirely.

I don't understand all of the hand-wringing going on about what formats "Google TV" supports. The statement itself is misleading as Google TV is a platform, not any one device. Again, it follows the Android model that has been so successful in the smartphone realm. If people are hung up about what these devices will be capable of next week on day one, then they should say so and temper some of the comments characterizing the Google TV platform as some kind of failure. It indicates either a lack of understanding or trollish behavior on their part.

I give it six months before the Logitech Revue or the Sony devices can playback anything you throw at it.

While I agree with some aspects of the post above (like lack of access to core APIs), I think people must temper expectations a little bit. While Android as the platform for GoogleTV is good, any product will be limited by the capabilities of the SoC running the platform.

'Six months before a GoogleTV device can playback anything' is far-fetched, to say the least. The likelihood of playing back 1080p RMVB files or stereoscopic 1080p 3D files is very unlikely since the CE4100 doesn't have RMVB decode acceleration or HDMI 1.4 support. You will have to wait for GoogleTV to appear on a platform other than CE4100 for that device to cater to the latest and greatest of what people are experiencing in the HTPC world.

Ganesh T S
Sr. Editor, AnandTech Inc.
post #388 of 1827 Old 10-14-2010, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm9843 View Post

Ok, good, that's exactly what I thought. In the same line of questioning:

What about the ability to stream all of your media files (music/video/photos) from your Desktop PC to the GTV (the Revue specifically)? I know Logitech says that should work now with the Revue using a DLNA server and an app they have pre-installed on the Revue. I have a Windows 7 Ultimate desktop with two 1TB external hard drives attached with all my media files. I currently use my Xbox 360 to stream all of that to my TV. From what I've read, the Revue should be able to do that, but I'm not 100% sure. I'm not sure how DLNA works (I know it's a spec). Is DLNA the way the Xbox 360 streams my music from my Win 7 desktop?

The reason I ask is, what if I'm not happy with the Revue media player app that performs this DLNA streaming? Can another developer create their own media player app that uses DLNA?

post #389 of 1827 Old 10-14-2010, 12:31 PM

Quote:

Is DLNA the way the Xbox 360 streams my music from my Win 7 desktop?

The Xbox 360 doesn't use DLNA, but it uses a different spec that's basically the same thing. Looks like Windows Media Player supports DLNA so you should be set.

Quote:

The reason I ask is, what if I'm not happy with the Revue media player app that performs this DLNA streaming? Can another developer create their own media player app that uses DLNA?

Yes.
post #390 of 1827 Old 10-14-2010, 12:41 PM

Can anyone please confirm what's going to be the screen refresh rate for this TV?? I had high expectations for this TV but it seems to me that it's going to be only 60hz?? that's a bummer!!! I have googled it but no answers yet.. only best buy has the TV listed as "Sony - Google TV 46" Class / 1080p / 60Hz / LED-LCD HDTV"...

Cnet in their review wrote this:"Otherwise, aside from Google TV, NSX-GT1 is a relatively basic edge-lit, nondimming LED-based LCD that's missing step-up features like 120Hz found on the KDL-EX700 models"

Sony hasn't even listed that spec in their website... pretty important spec to miss dont you think???
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page