post #541 of 1827 Old 10-20-2010, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntan View Post

Too each their own. Most of the people I've discussed this with over the years find that they have little love for a keyboard in the livingroom after a couple of years.

Of course it also depends how much you use your TV for computer activities (checking email, checking the weather, doing facebook, etc.) if you're actually just using it, you know as a TV, most people find that a keyboard gets old fast.

-Suntan

If you are only watching TV, there is no need for a keyboard. but I plan on watching Internet content on my TV. Going to various websites and viewing videos. What websites? I'm sure there will be some that I view regularly and others will result from random "googling". It's the latter that requires a keyboard.

I've also found myself watching a game on TV and commenting on a forum about the game. That's much easier if I can quickly bring up a browser window (or have it sitting there ala picture in picture style), then having a laptop on my lap or running to another room.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 1827 Old 10-20-2010, 10:52 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sushinut View Post

"Quiet everyone so that I can search for that movie!"
"Backyardigans....no not The Backyard Show...BACKYARDIGANS! GAHH!"

-there might be search terms that you can spell properly but not pronounce properly
-I'm not sure voice commands can process names properly, i.e. you want to search for shows that have Hugh Laurie.
-homophones, i.e. the movie "Just Wright"
-people that speak with or without an accent where the voice command gets confused....transcribed voicemail messages on Google Voice are hilarious , here's one from my wife (she does not have an accent): ...

I've been using Android for about a year now, and you're right: Google Voice transcription is terrible. But voice search is not. Google's search is smarter than that; it knows what the possible results are and it knows the context.

http://www.google.com/search?q=just+right

It's also been very good at names in my experience. Better than addresses, for sure (try searching for 4540 1st Ave. no matter how many times I try or how long I pause, it shows me 45 41st Ave). Honestly, the more oddball the name the easier time it seems to have figuring out what you're saying. It's reasonably useable with noise.

What people aren't seeing is you have options. Have a Harmony remote (the lack of a normal remote with the Revue was stupid, I'll admit, but doesn't affect me)? Browse TV the way you do today. Want to search for a specific show? Use your keyboard. Don't want to? Use voice search.

People are getting so stuck on "I don't want a keyboard;" "I don't want to talk to my tv in such and such sitation." It's like complaining about paddle shifters in a car with an automatic transmission. Use it when want, otherwise don't use it. I've seen no indication that the ADDITIONAL FUNCTIONALITY of GTV negatively affects the functionality you already have.
post #543 of 1827 Old 10-20-2010, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by David James View Post

If you are only watching TV, there is no need for a keyboard. but I plan on watching Internet content on my TV.

I consider "internet TV" the same thing as "watching TV."

The point being, if you can't access "internet TV" as simply as you can "regular TV" with just a basic remote and a couple of clicks, then the interface would be considered a failure in my mind.

-Suntan
post #544 of 1827 Old 10-20-2010, 11:14 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by qoncept View Post

I've been using Android for about a year now, and you're right: Google Voice transcription is terrible. But voice search is not. Google's search is smarter than that; it knows what the possible results are and it knows the context.

http://www.google.com/search?q=just+right

It's also been very good at names in my experience. Better than addresses, for sure (try searching for 4540 1st Ave. no matter how many times I try or how long I pause, it shows me 45 41st Ave). Honestly, the more oddball the name the easier time it seems to have figuring out what you're saying. It's reasonably useable with noise.

What people aren't seeing is you have options. Have a Harmony remote (the lack of a normal remote with the Revue was stupid, I'll admit, but doesn't affect me)? Browse TV the way you do today. Want to search for a specific show? Use your keyboard. Don't want to? Use voice search.

People are getting so stuck on "I don't want a keyboard;" "I don't want to talk to my tv in such and such sitation." It's like complaining about paddle shifters in a car with an automatic transmission. Use it when want, otherwise don't use it. I've seen no indication that the ADDITIONAL FUNCTIONALITY of GTV negatively affects the functionality you already have.

Whenever you add a function (more code and/or hardware), you introduce more bugs. It can also raise the price of a device, something like a new Harmony remote with a mic to support voice command. I don't think voice command is valuable enough given the risks and has very little benefit if a keyboard is already part of the remote.
If voice command for GTV stays on a smartphone app and is not integrated into the remote, that's fine with me.
post #545 of 1827 Old 10-20-2010, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The point being, if you can't access "internet TV" as simply as you can "regular TV" with just a basic remote and a couple of clicks, then the interface would be considered a failure in my mind.

-Suntan

Interesting. So how do you make the entire universe of possible things to watch on the Internet available on a menu within a couple of clicks?
post #546 of 1827 Old 10-20-2010, 11:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:

So how do you make the entire universe of possible things to watch on the Internet available on a menu within a couple of clicks?

Via apps. Which won't come for real until 2011...
post #547 of 1827 Old 10-20-2010, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Interesting. So how do you make the entire universe of possible things to watch on the Internet available on a menu within a couple of clicks?

I already have it right now. Although only for websites that support User Queues (Netflix and hulu being the main ones.)

TV shows pop up in line with your locally stored (either DVRed or ripped from disc) lineup, Movies pop up with your ripped movies. Full fanart, metadata,etc. all that jazz that the young kids go crazy over now-a-days applied to them regardless of where they are coming from.

I do it with SageTV and Play On. Which I readily agree is a hack, and the picture quality suffers due to Play On, but they are just little companies that make do with what they have available. If GoogleTV is to be the second coming of entertainment efficiency as everyone claims, they should easily have the clout to get native support of video feeds from the internet in a way that would actually make integrating local and internet content seamless (out-box boxee if you will.)

If you want to talk about a techy's gadget aimed at a techy, yeah go ahead and geek out about a STB that acts like a purpose built computer (complete with keyboard.) If you want to talk about a STB that will appeal to regular folk, it has to work (and work well) with just a standard remote imo.

-Suntan
post #548 of 1827 Old 10-20-2010, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:

I've also found myself watching a game on TV and commenting on a forum about the game. That's much easier if I can quickly bring up a browser window (or have it sitting there ala picture in picture style), then having a laptop on my lap or running to another room.

Different strokes for different folks I guess. I personally find it much easier and more enjoyable to continue watching the game in full screen on my TV and if need be, have my laptop on my lap for all other game related internet activities. For me, two screens are better than one split screen.
post #549 of 1827 Old 10-20-2010, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

Via apps. Which won't come for real until 2011...

Yes and no.

If you need to pull up an AMC app to watch Mad Men, then pull up a PBS app to watch Nova. That too would be a failure. Might as well just bungle with a keyboard to type in the names of the shows and hit search in that case.

-Suntan
post #550 of 1827 Old 10-20-2010, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edpowers View Post

For me, two screens are better than one split screen.

Agreed. PIP is and always has been a horrible idea.

-Suntan
post #551 of 1827 Old 10-20-2010, 12:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Too each their own. Most of the people I’ve discussed this with over the years find that they have little love for a keyboard in the livingroom after a couple of years.

Key point being past tense.

Quote:

Of course it also depends how much you use your TV for “computer” activities (checking email, checking the weather, doing facebook, etc.) if you’re actually just using it, you know as a TV, most people find that a keyboard gets old fast.

In your opinion.
Nielsen (the company who do the tv ratings), released a report in March this year, reporting that the number of americans using TV and Internet at the same time were up by 35% compared to last year. 60% of viewers used the internet at the same time they were watching TV at least once a month.

And I use my TV as a TV, I use the keyboard to my computer as a keyboard to my computer - once I get a Google TV I'll use the keyboard to fling links of sources to the TV.

Keyboard not a problem.

Quote:

Why navigate and search on your TV with a full sized keyboard instead of doing it on a notebook, netbook or iPad?

Indeed, and then send the result to TV - the searching is an ability because you are online, but you don't need to use it all the time - or at all.

Quote:

I don't want to navigate on my TV,

Then don't. Nobody is forcing you.

Quote:

I want to navigate with my laptop and "fling" or "throw" them to my TV.

They demoed flinging a youtube video from an android phone to the TV.

Quote:

For me, the TV is ideally the last stop in the activity chain. Hopefully some future Google TV devices will be built to accommodate my personal wants and needs.

What's wrong with them now?

People keep going on with about searching - but its like tuning your channels. When you set it up you tune to the channels you want on the internet, bookmark them and done.

Quote:

Gee, that would be nifty... Except I don’t have an Andriod based smartphone.

Then use the remote.

Quote:

Or that if I’m away from home and my wife wants to watch a show she’s out of luck.

Ah, you are right, we do tend to assume everybody in a family has a phone. Of course she could use the remote.

Quote:

Or if I’m on the phone while she’s watching a show. Or if my young son wants to switch from Thomas the Tank Engine to Dinosaur Train while watching a show upstairs... I suppose I should just replace my current smartphone and also get additional ones for my wife and 3 year old (complete with $30 a month data plans) just so they can change the channel.

Or you could use the remote.
(And you can buy a cheap tablet which is only wifi - no need for greedy data plans)

Quote:

Sorry, needing a phone to interface with your TV is a complete non-starter.

You don't have to, its an option. And a creative invention.

Quote:

It might sound tenable to a bachelor sitting in an apartment with only one TV, but it is completely untenable to a multi-person family living in a house with multiple TVs.

I don't agree. I think you are just desperately trying to create a problem where there is none. I know families which have a great deal of remotes (universals and individuals) - and there is no problem, because people are not animals. The adults agree what they do, and the kids know they are not supposed to just go change stuff.

Quote:

Good thing you can then. You tune the channel once (ie go to the website) and add it as a bookmark. Next time its a couple of clicks and you are there.

If a carpenter makes a door he should get money every time someone uses it - he's also an "artist".
post #552 of 1827 Old 10-20-2010, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Arswhat, I am making comments and rebuttals based solely on the comments that other people make. You seem to be making comments and predictions based on having some knowledge or premonition of what this thing will look like in the future.

Do you have a googleTV device already in use at your house? Can you confirm that all these things work as you are suggesting they do? That a person can use a regular remote and still maintain full functionality of the device?

As for your offhand comment about people being animals because of a lot of remotes. I've little desire to have a pissin match about schematics, but I will set you straight on it. I was referring specifically to the notion of *speaking into your phone* to control the TV (which is something that someone specifically said they thought would be an interface for the thing) when you have multiple TVs in your house. If you are a bachelor with one TV, leaving your phone by the couch is no big deal. When you have multiple people using TVs throughout the house, leaving a phone at each TV is silly an untenable.

-Suntan
post #553 of 1827 Old 10-20-2010, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushinut View Post

Whenever you add a function (more code and/or hardware), you introduce more bugs. It can also raise the price of a device, something like a new Harmony remote with a mic to support voice command. I don't think voice command is valuable enough given the risks and has very little benefit if a keyboard is already part of the remote.
If voice command for GTV stays on a smartphone app and is not integrated into the remote, that's fine with me.

If you aren't going to use the voice search, there is no risk of encountering the bugs. The code will never be called. (I'm not sure you're going to tell me this, but yes, there IS a tiny chance you could be affected by a bug related to a feature you don't use -- but I'm almost positive Google has smart enough developers to understand software design principles and avoid them)

The affect on cost is a moot point. We already know what the thing costs; these "additional features" aren't going to raise the price. FWIW, a microphone could be added to a remote for less than an additional button.
post #554 of 1827 Old 10-20-2010, 12:48 PM

I just picked up a Revue over my lunch break, can't wait to try it out tonight.

Hopefully Logitech will hurry on the Harmony apps, they are no where to be found on the Android Marketplace and the App Store
post #555 of 1827 Old 10-20-2010, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I already have it right now. Although only for websites that support User Queues (Netflix and hulu being the main ones.)

TV shows pop up in line with your locally stored (either DVRed or ripped from disc) lineup, Movies pop up with your ripped movies. Full fanart, metadata,etc. all that jazz that the young kids go crazy over now-a-days applied to them regardless of where they are coming from.

I do it with SageTV and Play On. Which I readily agree is a hack, and the picture quality suffers due to Play On, but they are just little companies that make do with what they have available. If GoogleTV is to be the second coming of entertainment efficiency as everyone claims, they should easily have the clout to get native support of video feeds from the internet in a way that would actually make integrating local and internet content seamless (out-box boxee if you will.)

I guess I'm not making myself clear. What if I want to check out highlights from a recent champions league match. Or maybe watch a quick youtube clip from last nights Waters concert. Or maybe find a DIY video on replacing a garbage disposal. I could literally go on forever. It doesn't matter how much "clout" you think GoogleTV (or another vendor) might have, they won't be able to provide even a fraction of what's available on a menu with a few clicks.

Quote:

If you want to talk about a techy's gadget aimed at a techy, yeah go ahead and geek out about a STB that acts like a purpose built computer (complete with keyboard.) If you want to talk about a STB that will appeal to regular folk, it has to work (and work well) with just a standard remote imo.

-Suntan

I suspect this is some kind of attempt at ridicule, but I have no clue what you're going on about. I'm talking about using a keyboard to interact with the Internet shown on my TV, but please, rant on if you like.
post #556 of 1827 Old 10-20-2010, 01:22 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Played with the Revue and Sony TV on my lunch break. The revue seemed more responsive than the Sony, but I have a feeling it's just the keyboard vs remote.

I didn't get to jump into anything useful, since BestBuy didn't have an internet connection on any of the devices.
post #557 of 1827 Old 10-20-2010, 01:27 PM

Not exactly true, because there are a lot of HTPC front ends that does this also, with access to much more content. Today HTPCs are more powerful than the GTV. I think the intent of the GTV is to make things easier for the average consumer, and have it all consolidated on a single appliance. Not only that, but it typically allows you to do it for a cheaper price and in a more energy efficient manner.

To get a HTPC working properly to allow everything to integrate smoothly, it takes a bit more time, money, and tinkering. Something that the average consumer would not know where to start or how to do it. Great examples of HTPC front ends allowing you to do this are Media Portal, Boxxee with SW BR player, Windows Media Center 7 with Cable Cards and SW BR Player, XBMC, or Sage TV.

These devices are slick once you get them set up, and you don't have to worry about codecs or Audio challenge, remote challenge, or limited content. Last point, the HTPC UI is a lot more slick since you can typically customize them to look and act how you want them to be. Again, it can be done, but the GTV is more practical, once they fix all the current known issues and get more content.

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse View Post

GTV's interface is specifically designed to search all available media content -- DVR recordings, TV guide, free Internet streams, paid streaming services, local DLNA content, etc. The interface is an overlay for your existing STB interface that also includes an Android app environment for expansion of functionality through the Market that is arriving in early 2011.

IOW, it brings everything together and makes it easier to find what you want to watch or listen to.

AFAIK, there is no equivalent functionality on HTPCs. HTPCs can certainly do many other things, and do them well, but they can't do what GTV does.

post #558 of 1827 Old 10-20-2010, 01:45 PM

Is the Harmony iPhone app out yet? I can't find it in the app store.
post #559 of 1827 Old 10-20-2010, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irmoballen View Post

I just picked up a Revue over my lunch break, can't wait to try it out tonight.

Hopefully Logitech will hurry on the Harmony apps, they are no where to be found on the Android Marketplace and the App Store

What?! Where?
post #560 of 1827 Old 10-20-2010, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupismaximus View Post

Not exactly true, because there are a lot of HTPC front ends that does this also, with access to much more content. Today HTPCs are more powerful than the GTV. I think the intent of the GTV is to make things easier for the average consumer, and have it all consolidated on a single appliance. Not only that, but it typically allows you to do it for a cheaper price and in a more energy efficient manner.

To get a HTPC working properly to allow everything to integrate smoothly, it takes a bit more time, money, and tinkering. Something that the average consumer would not know where to start or how to do it. Great examples of HTPC front ends allowing you to do this are Media Portal, Boxxee with SW BR player, Windows Media Center 7 with Cable Cards and SW BR Player, XBMC, or Sage TV.

These devices are slick once you get them set up, and you don't have to worry about codecs or Audio challenge, remote challenge, or limited content. Last point, the HTPC UI is a lot more slick since you can typically customize them to look and act how you want them to be. Again, it can be done, but the GTV is more practical, once they fix all the current known issues and get more content.

None of those front ends aggregate the search results from any/all media sources simultaneously the way that GTV does; regardless of how much time you spend tweaking them.

I've been running htpc's for years -- at one time or another using every single front-end available -- and I've never seen a holistic solution for search results aggregation.

The Boxee software (and apps) comes VERY close, and could quite possibly get there with its own "master search" feature in the future; but, it's certainly not integrated with every possible source at this point, and it would require a serious hardware/software overhaul to ever interact with sat/cable STBs.

If your goal is to REPLACE your STB, then something like Sage or 7MC will work to a certain degree. But, if the goals are to AUGMENT and INTEGRATE with your current STB, then your only real option, right now, is a GTV.

Want to know the ultimate solution? How about seeing GTV ported as a Boxee, 7MC, or Sage plugin -- or simply a Win7 app that overlays any of the above? I'd pay top dollar to see that happen, but I doubt we'll see it anytime soon since GTV requires Android OS.

That said, there's nothing preventing Microsoft from releasing a Bing equivalent that works on the Xbox360 and the Windows Phone 7 OS...

PS: I'd also love to see a Navi-X app or plugin for Android, iOS, 7MC, and Sage. Unlike GTV, it pulls in media results from the "shady side" of the Interwebs as well. Right now, it only works on Boxee...
post #561 of 1827 Old 10-20-2010, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I guess I'm not making myself clear. What if I want to check out highlights from a recent champions league match. Or maybe watch a quick youtube clip from last nights Waters concert. Or maybe find a DIY video on replacing a garbage disposal. I could literally go on forever. It doesn't matter how much "clout" you think GoogleTV (or another vendor) might have, they won't be able to provide even a fraction of what's available on a menu with a few clicks.

You're making yourself clear. You want to surf the internet on your TV. Have at it.

Personally, I have no desire to surf for youtube clips about garbage disposals on my TV. If I were interested in garbage disposal footage, I'd probably pull that up on my laptop. I'm really only interested in watching real shows/movies on the TV.

I guess you're suggesting that the ability to search for youtube clips about home repair is somehow more appropriate for livingroom 2.0. I would argue that having a consumer STB that eloquently aggregates all the entertainment content in a way that would properly fit into the definition of watching TV is the more novel and useful approach that nobody has managed to do yet.

If you want to use a keyboard to pull up youtube clips about a garbage disposal on your TV, you could have done that for years with any old generic PC running any number of free web browsers. Why create a purpose built device to offer that?

Quote:

I suspect this is some kind of attempt at ridicule,

Not at all. Just stating it the way I see it. For something to become accepted in the livingroom by regular people (not techies) it has to work by just a remote. Not voice activiated, not with a full qwerty keyboard. You are free to disagree, but that's the way I see it.

Wasn't it just a few months back where 3D was the second coming of the family entertainment? How many 3D glasses have you seen sold into the average livingroom? Similar deal with keyboards, imo.

-Suntan
post #562 of 1827 Old 10-20-2010, 02:55 PM

Quote:

Agreed. PIP is and always has been a horrible idea.

-Suntan

Really? I think that the Google TV implementation is great for something like live sports. When a commercial comes on, a single click of the "Dual View" button has you doing something else on the web while you can keep an eye on when the commercials end in the PIP window. Another click of the "Dual View" button and you are back to watching the game full screen.

To me, that's the opposite of a horrible idea.
post #563 of 1827 Old 10-20-2010, 02:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Arswhat, I am making comments and rebuttals based solely on the comments that other people make. You seem to be making comments and predictions based on having some knowledge or premonition of what this thing will look like in the future.

I haven't said that. Being the clever kind I can extrapolate, so I have been writing "I wonder if you can't ..." - but everybody are free to guess.

Quote:

Do you have a googleTV device already in use at your house? Can you confirm that all these things work as you are suggesting they do? That a person can use a regular remote and still maintain full functionality of the device?

Ah, that is what you refer to. I haven't seen an onscreen keyboard yet - so if that isn't there well then no, you can't have full functionality. However, I have read all new material seen several interviews and demonstrations. And the android app they demonstrated allowed you to send a video link to the tv for instance.
And people (here I seem to remember) have said that once you have a site in the browser you can add a bookmark to the "front page" so its only a few clicks away for instance.

When people talk about audio connections and DVR hooks etc, I don't comment because I don't know specifics and have nothing to speculate on the subject so far.

Quote:

As for your offhand comment about people being animals because of a lot of remotes.

I think the problem is that I can't write words in a way you can understand. I did not say people were being animals because they have a lot of remotes.

Quote:

I've little desire to have a pissin match about schematics, but I will set you straight on it. I was referring specifically to the notion of *speaking into your phone* to control the TV (which is something that someone specifically said they thought would be an interface for the thing) when you have multiple TVs in your house.

Perhaps I can't read you either. It looks as if you said you where FORCED to use speaking to the phone to control it, which is of course not the cause.
And Google demonstrated how you could do voice connect to search for things - ie say you wanted to search for "the amazing race" you wouldn't have to type it, just enter that.
I don't know if you can say "change channel to 1" (but I expect that it will show up in the market soon enough (note, I don't know - but I know geeks, and i feel certain someone will program something like that))

Quote:

If you are a bachelor with one TV, leaving your phone by the couch is no big deal.

Again, I know couples who have the phone by their side at all times - that includes being home. And they have two kids - why would it be a problem - the kids are told not to touch mommies or daddies phone and then they don't.

Quote:

When you have multiple people using TVs throughout the house, leaving a phone at each TV is silly an untenable.

I don't understand you.

If I use a real remote or a phone what's the difference - you have remotes strewn around the house at each tv?

I don't need a tv blaring if I'm not there. If I'm there I have a means of controlling it with me. I assume the same would be the case for all people approaching a tv they want to (and are allowed to) control.

If a carpenter makes a door he should get money every time someone uses it - he's also an "artist".
post #564 of 1827 Old 10-20-2010, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
My number one use for the PIP would be to run a browser window for my fantasy football pages while watching RedZone channel on the big screen. That way I can put my laptop away and only pull up the browser window when I need a points update.

Good times!
post #565 of 1827 Old 10-20-2010, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by arswhat View Post

Again, I know couples who have the phone by their side at all times - that includes being home. And they have two kids - why would it be a problem - the kids are told not to touch mommies or daddies phone and then they don't.

"... and then they don't."

Thanks for the laugh! I needed that!

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #566 of 1827 Old 10-20-2010, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't understand you.

I guess it would just be best to leave it that way.

Good day.

-Suntan
post #567 of 1827 Old 10-20-2010, 03:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Personally, I have no desire to surf for youtube clips about garbage disposals on my TV.

I agree with you there - just thought I would mention a point of agreement

Quote:

If you want to use a keyboard to pull up youtube clips about a garbage disposal on your TV, you could have done that for years with any old generic PC running any number of free web browsers. Why create a purpose built device to offer that?

1. I don't want to have an extra PC for that.
2. This device is more.
3. This device can (again speculating about what is eminently possible, if that bothers you don't read the rest of the line) get thousands, if not hundreds of the thousands who make programs for Android start making specific programs for it - they wouldn't for the PC.

Quote:

Not at all. Just stating it the way I see it. For something to become accepted in the livingroom by regular people (not techies) it has to work by just a remote. Not voice activiated, not with a full qwerty keyboard. You are free to disagree, but that's the way I see it.

Wasn't it just a few months back where 3D was the second coming of the family entertainment? How many 3D glasses have you seen sold into the average livingroom? Similar deal with keyboards, imo.

A lot of people are against progress, the can't imagine it can be better only worse. I'm sure there are some who were against 'normal' remotes when they came out.

Sure "3D" is a stupid gimmick the industry keeps trying to push on people every 15 years or so - hasn't taken yet, and I personally hope it won't, because it isn't progress just a gimmick it doesn't add anything - its not real 3D. And if you say people are annoyed by the 3d glasses I would agree with you, that is a problem - but I don't see the keyboard being a problem - it gives you access to more - if you don't want MORE then don't use it.

And we are seeing that with 3D TV's in the EU - they have sold a huge amount of 3D TV's - but a lot less of the 3D glasses, ie, a lot of people don't use the 3D aspect of it.

If they can end up selling a lot of Google TV's that's great - even if most people never use most of it because they are afraid of finding out it could actually offer them something they would find of use.
Even if Youtubes leanback isn' tit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanesian View Post

"... and then they don't."

Thanks for the laugh! I needed that!

Why do you find it funny? Because your children wouldn't do that? Well that says something about your ability to raise your children then.

NO they don't. Because the people I know, know how to raise children.

They may be in the minority, don't know about that.

post #568 of 1827 Old 10-20-2010, 03:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I guess it would just be best to leave it that way.

Good day.

-Suntan

Wow, yeah - instead of trying to explain your point of view a different way, just be dismissive.

No wonder the world is at war.

post #569 of 1827 Old 10-20-2010, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm9843 View Post

a single click of the "Dual View" button has you doing something else on the web while you can keep an eye on when the commercials end in the PIP window.

To each their own. I prefer to just start the game an hour late and then let the player jump over the commercials automatically.

-Suntan
post #570 of 1827 Old 10-20-2010, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:

Why do you find it funny? Because your children wouldn't do that? Well that says something about your ability to raise your children then.

NO they don't. Because the people I know, know how to raise children.

They may be in the minority, don't know about that.

Spoken with the confidence of someone who has no children.

I, too, once had no kids but several theories about how to raise kids right. Now I have raised several kids, and have no theories.

Relax, my young friend. It's just a discussion forum.

The Un-Theater Un-Build

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page