Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 1827 Old 10-21-2010, 03:21 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
PCM? Grrrr!

Someday maybe I'll actually WATCH my projector...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 1827 Old 10-21-2010, 03:23 PM

then again...

Quote:
Hi,

Revue can receive either PCM Stereo or AC3 5.1 from an HDMI input source. Assuming Revue is connected to an AVR and the AVR is configured correctly (this changes from brand to brand), Revue, can output following audio formats.

HDMI HDMI
(PCM/AC-3 5.1) Source Device ----> Revue ----> AVR - Either PCM Stereo and PCM 7.1/5.1 are output

HDMI SPDIF
(PCM/AC-3 5.1)Source Device ----> Revue ----> AVR - Either PCM Stereo and AC-3 5.1 are output
Revue always mixes incoming audio with internal audio sounds, even in cases where you are using a supported audio modes (see above), Revue will never pass the Audio as is (untouched) to the AVR.
Regards,
Omar

post #633 of 1827 Old 10-21-2010, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushinut View Post

doh, same PCM issue with the Revue .

Exactly what operations can you do from the Revue with the HR24? I think you can probably change channels and bring up the guide, but how about list/play recordings, record a series?

List, Guide, Record, Ch up & Down, Menu, navigate (left, right, up, down, select), info, back. Pretty much everything.

Hope this helps,
sfin54
post #634 of 1827 Old 10-21-2010, 03:41 PM

Quote:

then again...

Not sure how he is getting the 5.1 audio.

I have it set up:
STB (HR-24)>HDMI>Revue>HDMI>AVR (Sc-27)

Still only getting PCM.
I believe it is the same issue as the Sony.

Let's hope it is corrected quickly.

sfin54
post #635 of 1827 Old 10-21-2010, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfin54 View Post

Not sure how he is getting the 5.1 audio.

I have it set up:
STB (HR-24)>HDMI>Revue>HDMI>AVR (Sc-27)

Still only getting PCM.
I believe it is the same issue as the Sony.

Let's hope it is corrected quickly.

sfin54

Did you try using SPDIF to see if you get 5.1? And making sure the program on the HR24 is 5.1? Just checking .
The quote is from the Logitech Revue support contact for their board, so it should work. Who knows though, there might be some compatibility issues with specific AVRs or something that they did not test.
post #636 of 1827 Old 10-21-2010, 03:59 PM

Quote:

Did you try using SPDIF to see if you get 5.1? And making sure the program on the HR24 is 5.1? Just checking .
The quote is from the Logitech Revue support contact for their board, so it should work. Who knows though, there might be some compatibility issues with specific AVRs or something that they did not test.

Tried several 5.1 programs, and verified the HR-24 was set for DD.
Cycled through various settings on the SC-27.
Could not get anything to output, but PCM.
Have not tried a optical cable.
HDMI to AVR has always come in 5.1 before.

sfin54

Edit: also tried a 5.1 video file from my PC. Still PCM. So that eliminates the HR-24 being the issue.
post #637 of 1827 Old 10-21-2010, 05:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fshagan View Post

There have been some snide comments about YouTube, but we use it to keep up with the grandkids. My daughter's YouTube channel would be great to see on the living room TV, as well as her Flickr albums, not to mention similar things from other families and friends. Integrating that type of content into the main TV, rather than on a 15" laptop screen, would be ideal.

A point I made earlier (only to be attacked ) - a family i know started putting up all their home movies on youtube after their own drive crashed. They reason nobody else really cares about watching small clips which are going to be dead boring to anybody else.

I understand you can place a bookmark of the channel straight on the "front page"

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpoet View Post

I thought there was a Hulu workaround?

After blogs starter writing about it Hulu found another way to be difficult.
Which is stupid on their part, they should understand that NOW is the time to make a serious commitment on the net, or the old dying media cooperations will really die.

It may take them a bit longer, but now the fools at ABC, CBS and NBC have joined the blockade. ABC, CBS and NBC blocks Google TV

Which is still silly, either few people buy these devices and its not a problem - or a great deal does - and then they hack it and bypass any barrier they can think of.

Quote:

The only problem I see is that you are obviously focused on forcing your little person to be right handed.

Use a cattleprod - teach them that certain causes has certain effects.

Quote:

It connects through DNLA or UPnP, so any computer or NAS that has a DNLA server on it would work to allow access to the network share.

DNLA and UPnP aren't shares - they are inferior methods of sharing - which is why, at least some of us, would like to know if they can access Windows shares.

If a carpenter makes a door he should get money every time someone uses it - he's also an "artist".
post #638 of 1827 Old 10-21-2010, 05:03 PM
Advanced Member

Btw, for anyone who has bought a device, could you tell us: In the settings, is there anyway to specify a proxy? (It would probably be in a network menu)

If a carpenter makes a door he should get money every time someone uses it - he's also an "artist".
post #639 of 1827 Old 10-21-2010, 05:49 PM
Advanced Member

Well, for now the Revue is the bestselling gizmo at Amazon http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers...011/ref=sv_e_2

Strangely enough, the patterns seems to repeat though - if you check their boards people are fighting there as well. Full people people saying "it sucks!" without having tried it.

post #640 of 1827 Old 10-21-2010, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Uh oh...
http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/21/t...web-based-con/

"You may be able to watch The Office on your Google TV, but perhaps not on demand -- ABC, CBS and NBC are barring Sony and Logitech's web-infused TVs and set-top-boxes from accessing full episodes of streaming video content. The Wall Street Journal reports that all three networks have confirmed the ban, and that Fox hasn't yet reached a decision on whether it will ban Google TV as well. For its part, Google says that it's "ultimately the content owners' choice to restrict their fans from accessing their content on the platform," so don't expect the search company to pitch in, unless it can work out some premium arrangements for all parties involved. This is the part where we'd normally direct you to the simple browser tweak that made Hulu accessible when it pulled the very same stunt, but alas, we're finding Hulu too is once again blocked."
post #641 of 1827 Old 10-21-2010, 06:10 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked: 448
"Uh oh" is right, this sort of thing could really diminish the value of Google TV immensely.
post #642 of 1827 Old 10-21-2010, 06:24 PM
AVS Club Gold

Question... anyone able to check if you can set a proxy in the Chrome settings?

Someday maybe I'll actually WATCH my projector...
post #643 of 1827 Old 10-21-2010, 07:05 PM

Quote:

Picked up the Revue today from Best Buy (posting this from it now). Just some thoughts.

Overall, it is very slick.

- web browsing is smooth and quick. Flash works OK, however when my daughter tried to play a Flash game, it was a bit jerky.
- search is fast, and access to local, web, and TV (DirecTv).
- audio is PCM like the Sony unit. Hopefullly they patch this soon.
- Has played almost everything I have tried except a few MPEGs.
- keyboard is comfortable and responsive. Controls Revue, STB (HR-24), and AVR (Pio SC-27)
- Andriod Phone remote is Great! Works like a charm. I was going to get the mini controler, but with the stock keyboard, and phone app, I doubt I will now.
- Current apps are OK, but once the Market opens up next year, the whole experience will change.
- YouTube Leanback is very nice on the Revue.

All in all, happy with the purchase. Just hope they fix the 5.1 audio soon.

Let me know if I can try to answer anything.

sfin54

PS. Has anyone figured out how to use the spell check in the Revue version of Chore browser?

can you watch tv without using the revue? say if my wife or kids just turn on the tv to watch something will it work or does the revue have to be on all the time?
post #644 of 1827 Old 10-21-2010, 07:35 PM

I went to two different Best Buy stores today to check out the Logitech Review. How disappointing. The displays were impressive, but the Review did not work in either store.

In the first store, while selecting a menu item, the screen would go blank and stay that way for minutes before reappearing with a different screen displayed. It never did work. I left to go to another store.

The second store had a different problem, it would not connect to the internet and thus no way to do any kind of live demo.

A very uninspiring debut.
post #645 of 1827 Old 10-21-2010, 07:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I just picked up my Revue tonight. Took longer to set up than I expected, but its rolling now, and integrated with my Dish DVR. The $4 integration fee is charged whether you buy the Revue from Dish or not (so I'll return it and buy from Dish when they get them). Disappointing, but I'll live.

It's definitely going to take some getting used to. I've played with it for a total of maybe 30 minutes so far. Controlling my Dish DVR isn't intuitive. For example, pushing the menu button on the keyboard while watching TV brings up a GTV menu. Pushing fn-9(Menu) brings up the DVR menu. I still haven't figured out how to back out of the DVR guide (pushing the back button backs out of viewing TV to the GTV home menu). Speaking of which, I can view the Dish DVR guide or the "What's On" guide in GTV, and I never know which is going to come up. But I think I'll learn my way around.

The thing that I'm most concerned about right now is my Harmony 880 remote isn't controlling the Revue at all. I'm assuming the keyboard uses RF; does the Revue not have an IR receiver?
post #646 of 1827 Old 10-21-2010, 08:12 PM

Has anyone tried hooking up a 1+TB HDD to see if the Revue recognizes the drive and plays media files?
post #647 of 1827 Old 10-21-2010, 08:32 PM

Either web based content REALLY plays in a browser (and you must use the trackpad for on-screen controls) or Google is playing a prank on early adopters. The Revue is also not seeing ANY of my h.264 encoded movies shared in Media Player (mp3s are fine), and it does NOT include DLNA sources in search results.

My hour-later impression is that Boxee is far better. I don't know if I'll keep this thing even close to my 30 days.
post #648 of 1827 Old 10-21-2010, 08:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

"Uh oh" is right, this sort of thing could really diminish the value of Google TV immensely.

This doesn't worry me in the least. It WILL be worked around with an app. These networks are just stupid. They fight tooth and nail against evolution instead of trying to work with it.
post #649 of 1827 Old 10-21-2010, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_IV View Post

This doesn't worry me in the least. It WILL be worked around with an app. These networks are just stupid. They fight tooth and nail against evolution instead of trying to work with it.

The app solution defeats the whole simplicity that GTV was all about IMO. Search for what you want to watch, it finds it and you play it. Now you have to start an app to go watch a show you want online so it's not able to search everything else (DVR, local media, networked media, etc.) so it becomes a mutliple step process instead of a simple search and play. That simple search and play is what it was all about. I sure hope some sort of a deal can be made to allow GTV access to the networks.
post #650 of 1827 Old 10-21-2010, 09:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJonesUSC View Post

The app solution defeats the whole simplicity that GTV was all about IMO. Search for what you want to watch, it finds it and you play it. Now you have to start an app to go watch a show you want online so it's not able to search everything else (DVR, local media, networked media, etc.) so it becomes a mutliple step process instead of a simple search and play. That simple search and play is what it was all about. I sure hope some sort of a deal can be made to allow GTV access to the networks.

It depends on what the app does or how it integrates. It could simply run as a background process that you run when you start and it fools the content provider when you run Chrome. I dunno how it will work for sure but just giving you an example.

I honestly don't expect to see Google work any deals with the individual networks. I can see them finishing off a deal with Hulu+ tho.

What the networks need to realize is that Google TV is just the start of the mainstream interfaces. You've got Boxee coming next month and probably others down the line. It will only get worse for the networks. They need to start embracing progress and stop fighting it.
post #651 of 1827 Old 10-21-2010, 09:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJonesUSC View Post

This. The single biggest draw of GTV is/was the ability to aggregate results from any/all Internet and local sources into one set of search results. If it gets cut off from direct access to all or most of the major media outlets, it's doomed.

Apps in GTV are intended to be secondary or auxiliary functions that fill in the gaps. They were never meant to become the sole means of accessing much of the content.
post #652 of 1827 Old 10-21-2010, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse View Post

You may be able to watch The Office on your Google TV, but perhaps not on demand -- ABC, CBS and NBC are barring Sony and Logitech's web-infused TVs and set-top-boxes from accessing full episodes of streaming video conten

I'm watching The Office right now. Unfortunately, it's an even worse experience than having a plain old HTPC. And that's ALL streaming shows, not just the networks above. It's taken me a couple of hours to decide Google TV is absolute garbage. As excited as I was, I now have absolutely no reason to believe any amount of development is going to make it a good piece of software. From the ground up it's just very poorly designed.

1) The keyboard is absolutely necessary to do anything worthwhile. It's not like an HTPC where you can use the keyboard when you like and a universal remote most of the time.

2) Streaming content from online sources is miserable. I choose the show I want to watch, and the screen flickers, a web page comes up, a crappy embedded video player loads and then I have to use the finnicky touchpad on the keyboard to maximize the video. Want to pause? Gotta use the trackpad. The player controls on the keyboard are worthless for streaming content.

3) My entire movie library is missing. Music shows up. But even when I figure out why the movies don't show, the interface is horrible. It has all of the elegance of the Xbox 360 media player circa 2005. It doesn't even list my TV shows separately from my movies, and doesn't integrate them with all the rest of the available content. Unified my ass.

4) Can't get my Harmony remote to work -- not that it'd be useful with this thoughtless UI.

5) The remote app for Android won't find my GTV. Again, not that I really care because I absolutely will not use my phone as a remote. Unlock my phone, kill the battery and have absolutely no tactile feel on a remote? No thanks.

6) Dish DVR integration is clunky as hell. Instead of allowing you to use the DVR as normal or having GTV handle everything itself, it's caught in no man's land and mysteriously throws you in to one method or another completely unpredictably.

7) "Dual view" inexplicably doesn't work with streaming content.

8) Watching live tv? Push the navy button and it stops playing and goes to the home screen. Press the home button and it goes to the home screen, but tv continues to play in the background. Press the back button in Pandora and music continues to play in the background. Careless inconsistancy. Start watching tv while Pandora is playing.and now you're listening to both. How could they possibly think that's what I want?

My Boxee experiment, for all its problems, made watching TV a lot more enjoyable than this. A purpose-built device somehow manages to have more of a PC feel than my HTPC did. It blows my mind that Google got the software to this point and decided "YES! This is what we want to release!" Now, I'm 95% sure I'll be buying a Boxee Box.

Edit: It's back in the box and ready to be returned tomorrow.
post #653 of 1827 Old 10-21-2010, 09:33 PM

someone asked earlier:

No, I hve not been able to find anywhere to enter proxy settings.

Yes, you can view TV without using the Revue.

Anyone figure out the spell check in Chrome? It underlines the misspelled word, just have not figured out how to run the spell check in the Revue version of Chrome.

Thanks,
sfin54
post #654 of 1827 Old 10-21-2010, 10:14 PM

Quote:

snyone figure out the spell check in Chrome? It underlines the misspelled word, just have not figured out how to run the spell check in the Revue version of Chrome.

Try right clicking.
post #655 of 1827 Old 10-21-2010, 10:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked: 642
@theoverdrive, thanks for the link. You proved my point and I appreciate that.

As for the rest of the apologists, please understand that Google TV should still be in beta. You doubt me? Read this: http://searchengineland.com/life-wit...ressions-53471

"Scathing" would be generous.

We need to stop confusing the promise of this device (which remains limitless) with the reality (which remains limited, awkward, and overpriced).

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working. (Oh, and plasma didn't die because of logistics problems, nor does OLED ship in big boxes because it comes from Korea.)
post #656 of 1827 Old 10-22-2010, 12:54 AM

Unlike the person above me. I actually have it and like it. Even with the minor faults the potential is great for this device.
post #657 of 1827 Old 10-22-2010, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisal73 View Post

Unlike the person above me. I actually have it and like it. Even with the minor faults the potential is great for this device.

Elaborating on what it is that you like about it may help to inform others who are currently on the fence so that they might come to an easier decision.
post #658 of 1827 Old 10-22-2010, 04:14 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Wow... I can only imagine that Larry must be going nuts now. I think above all else, something like this is going to make people return their Google TV. Hulu might be acceptable and understandable since they a re a bit ridiculous with content protection, but I don't think ABC, CBS, or NBC has blocked devices before. Have they?

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse View Post

Uh oh...
http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/21/t...web-based-con/

"You may be able to watch The Office on your Google TV, but perhaps not on demand -- ABC, CBS and NBC are barring Sony and Logitech's web-infused TVs and set-top-boxes from accessing full episodes of streaming video content. The Wall Street Journal reports that all three networks have confirmed the ban, and that Fox hasn't yet reached a decision on whether it will ban Google TV as well. For its part, Google says that it's "ultimately the content owners' choice to restrict their fans from accessing their content on the platform," so don't expect the search company to pitch in, unless it can work out some premium arrangements for all parties involved. This is the part where we'd normally direct you to the simple browser tweak that made Hulu accessible when it pulled the very same stunt, but alas, we're finding Hulu too is once again blocked."

post #659 of 1827 Old 10-22-2010, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post

@theoverdrive, thanks for the link. You proved my point and I appreciate that.

As for the rest of the apologists, please understand that Google TV should still be in beta. You doubt me? Read this: http://searchengineland.com/life-wit...ressions-53471

"Scathing" would be generous.

We need to stop confusing the promise of this device (which remains limitless) with the reality (which remains limited, awkward, and overpriced).

Wow. You are one angry dude. Did Google run over your puppy or something? Why are you still here? You made it clear from the beginning that you hate everything about Google TV, so why are you still posting on this thread? You certainly have a right to, but... why? You hate Google TV and it sucks,... we get it.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have no interest in Apple TV at all, so I'm going to go post a bunch of "Scathing" opinions on the Apple TV thread.

------------------------------
TV: Samsung LNT4671F
BD-DVD: Oppo BDP-83
Receiver: Onkyo TX-SR606
Logitech Revue (Google TV)
Cisco 8640HDC DVR (v. ODN 4.0.2_4)
post #660 of 1827 Old 10-22-2010, 06:09 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
The first Android phone was nearly unusable. The only reason I stuck it out was because development was a dream and it seemed like it had potential. I definately could not recommend the G1 phone to anyone other than a tech geek early adopter. Within the past 2 years Android phones have exploded and theres at least one phone I would recommend to each type of person.

Based on the reviews and stumbling blocks so far, it looks like the first Google TV devices are even more immature than the first Android phone was. And unfortunately there isn't a market to download apps from yet, and unlike the first Android cell phones, an SDK has not been out for months before release. So we are stuck with what we have in this 2 little boxes.

I see potential, but let's just hope the platform survives long enough to have that potential fully realized.

My revue should be here today, so I'll probably have some real notes later.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page