Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 1827 Old 10-22-2010, 02:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by madpoet View Post

Can't figure how to play bd ISOs at all. Just feels like other recent products like Sage are better, and I expect Boxee will trounce this in functionality.

Since you are using the Sage HD300, just hit the TV button to switch to it and play your bd isos from there. Or if the TV app is already running, hold the Home key or CTRL+TAB to switch to it via the task switcher.

The early Google TV devices biggest limitation is probably local file playback & codec support which is a shame. Of course, once the thing is rooted or the Android Market launches, that problem will be a thing of the past when apps like Rockplayer & VLC hit the scene.

Since the Google TV devices and the Boxee Box utilize the same Intel SOC, any Boxee advantage would be in the aforementioned codec/local file playback support and will be short lived. Google TV already trounces it in every other way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 1827 Old 10-22-2010, 02:38 PM
AVS Club Gold

Yep, I can play through the Sage. Was trying to judge it as an individual media player. Guess I should adjust my thinking

Someday maybe I'll actually WATCH my projector...
post #723 of 1827 Old 10-22-2010, 03:02 PM

The Washington Post also comments about the problems with viewing Flash via the browser (for those who don't want to read the whole thing, you can skip to the 8th paragraph):

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/fas...tv_review.html

This is exactly the problem I was having. If it is the processor doesn't that pretty much mean it can't be fixed?
post #724 of 1827 Old 10-22-2010, 03:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qoncept View Post

It DOES make sense. Its apparent that ads on broadcast TV are more valuable than online. ie, Pepsi will pay more to have an add on TV than streaming. So NBC decides we'll let people stream to their PC, but we don't want them ONLY streaming because then our revenue drops.

It doesn't make sense - because their revenue will disappear if they don't keep up with the market. You can't based a business model on something which isn't there.

If a carpenter makes a door he should get money every time someone uses it - he's also an "artist".
post #725 of 1827 Old 10-22-2010, 07:03 PM

Has anyone else noticed problems playing MKV's that have a DTS audio track? I can't get my videos that were encoded with DTS to play sound. Dolby Digital tracks play just fine. I tried playing a video from my NAS as well as from the Twonky DLNA server on my computer.

One other thing, anyone know how to change the audio track if there is more then one language?

Which brings up another point, whats the best DLNA server for Windows 7? Anything better then Twonky? Windows Media Sharing doesn't cut it.
post #726 of 1827 Old 10-22-2010, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by bairda View Post

I ran the first quarter of the oregon game via ESPN3 and never had an issue besides some low video quality for the first minute. All the video quality bars went solid and then the pic was decent. No pauses or hickups during the time I watched it.

Interesting that some sites work OK and others are crapping out.

-Alex-

ESPN has plenty of bandwidth, they had World Cup game son ESPN3, anything like a lowly College Football Game should be a snap. I've never had a problem with ESPN3.

What will take Google TV over the top is Sports. I don't wanna hear any crying from non-sports fans out there. A ton of people buy NFL Sunday Ticket and NFL Red Zone on Dish Network. That's why I was disappointed about the NBA App that comes with Google TV. It should have an NBA TV app with streaming, like the Laker's pre-season game on right now via ESPN3.

Glad some people are getting the TV or the Logitech console, I wanna see what the reaction is. Most of it thus far is expected, its not a mature product, but the future is bright.

A. Thomas -

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: djfourmoney

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
12.74@106 in the 1/4
PSN - DJFourMoney
post #727 of 1827 Old 10-22-2010, 09:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by fshagan View Post

It should work as easily as the Xbox with Windows 7. I'm not serving music or movies from my PC; for the WHS which is my server I had to enable sharing and have some kind of DLNA program enabled. Windows 7 may do that by default, but I'm not sure.

If this device doesn't have SMB or NFS capability it will be useless to me since that's the way I need to hook it up to my network shares. I would love a Dune Prime media player and a Google TV to mate together and pop out a baby. This is what I would love.
post #728 of 1827 Old 10-23-2010, 01:09 AM

well i bought a logitech google tv device to try.

It seems to not decode dts stream with TVersity Media Server.

Also the mkv does not show the subtitles.

If anyone have fixes for those 2 problems (not by reencoding), i might keep the google tv, if not I think i am going to return it to best buy.
post #729 of 1827 Old 10-23-2010, 01:13 AM

Just noticed another bug, when watching a recorded show on the dvr and switch to picture in picture or a web browser on google tv. then try to ctrl-tab to get back to the tv it switches back to live tv instead of playing the recorded show. quite annoying, hope they fix that soon.
post #730 of 1827 Old 10-23-2010, 04:26 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Bickering posts removed. Any further infighting in this thread will result in the lost of posting privileges. Discuss the technology, not each other.

Unless, of course, it's glowingly positive.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #731 of 1827 Old 10-23-2010, 04:40 AM
AVS Club Gold

DrDon is the coolest guy around

Unfortunately the Revue is not as cool as him.

post #732 of 1827 Old 10-23-2010, 05:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:

drdon is the coolest guy around

unfortunately the revue is not as cool as him.

lol

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) -

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

post #733 of 1827 Old 10-23-2010, 05:17 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
My first impressions after a night of use.

Wow. This thing lives in Chrome. Practically everything I hit takes me to chrome... Seriously?

Netflix is a joke. Yay, I got a 2 year old version from the Xbox 360. It would have been nice if tv.clicker.com launched a netflix movie directly like on my PC. This should be posible and pretty easy since GTV is based on Android.

I feel like the trackpad/dpad/pg up, should have been on a separable piece.

The trackpad has multitouch, 2 finger scroll. No zoom though.

The logitech Android app is kind of sucky. Bad UI. Why is the enter button in the center of four relatively tiny direction buttons. Just makes it impossible to use, without looking at the phone.

There does not appear to be cacheing in the home screen. It's slow to cycle through each category on the left, and looks like a reload happens everytime.

I've never gotten a long press on the home button to do anything but show me the home screen and the last app. It would be much more useful as a way to jump between the last few apps.

Having bitched and moaned above, I'm keeping it.

Yet another edit
---------------------

And I ran into about as disasterous of a setup issue as I could. All m testing before was done with just th ebox connected. So I tried connecitng my cable box and thats when things start to get ******. Of course my cable box only has component out or DVI out with the audio going via 2 channel analog out. Ugh.... Anyone on Comcast know if theres another dual tuner DVR with HDMI out?
post #734 of 1827 Old 10-23-2010, 06:57 AM

How good/bad is the Revue's integration with the DirecTV HR DVRs? I have seen some reports of dropped frames, poor picture quality, etc.

I currently have my HR24 set to native resolution and allow my AVR to do any upscaling/deinterlacing. I'm ok allowing the Revue to do it as I only watch HD content, but only if it does a good job.

If the integration and performance with DirecTV is poor and I cannot connect to Hulu and the major networks, the product would seem to be DOA for all but a small group of users.

Thanks
post #735 of 1827 Old 10-23-2010, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akopperl View Post

How good/bad is the Revue's integration with the DirecTV HR DVRs? I have seen some reports of dropped frames, poor picture quality, etc.

I currently have my HR24 set to native resolution and allow my AVR to do any upscaling/deinterlacing. I'm ok allowing the Revue to do it as I only watch HD content, but only if it does a good job.

If the integration and performance with DirecTV is poor and I cannot connect to Hulu and the major networks, the product would seem to be DOA for all but a small group of users.

Thanks

I am currently using the Revue with a HR-24. Picture quality is fine via HDMI. Only the PCM is an issue (at least for me) for audio.

Hope this helps,
sfin54
post #736 of 1827 Old 10-23-2010, 07:18 AM
AVS Club Gold

Just because I know everyone was wondering, and strictly for scientific purposes... you can in fact surf certain *ahem* adult sites and display video.

post #737 of 1827 Old 10-23-2010, 07:26 AM

And just as I resigned myself to having to switch audio inputs on my TV manually, I discover.

And I can't even view my cable box through an DVI to HDMI convertor. Sigh... I got a message about hd content protection of your display has been compromised.... then it went blank. Although even setup mode goes blank as well when connected through the Revue... A direct connection to my tv is fine though. Has anyone used this exact cable box with success?
post #738 of 1827 Old 10-23-2010, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremyd5 View Post

The Washington Post also comments about the problems with viewing Flash via the browser (for those who don't want to read the whole thing, you can skip to the 8th paragraph):

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/fas...tv_review.html

This is exactly the problem I was having. If it is the processor doesn't that pretty much mean it can't be fixed?

That doesn't seem possible. I can't imagine the processor in the Revue can't handle Flash. I have an old Pentium 3 laptop that handles Flash with no problem. Plus, if the processor couldn't handle Flash, wouldn't you have problems on ALL Flash sites?

------------------------------
TV: Samsung LNT4671F
BD-DVD: Oppo BDP-83
Receiver: Onkyo TX-SR606
Logitech Revue (Google TV)
Cisco 8640HDC DVR (v. ODN 4.0.2_4)
post #739 of 1827 Old 10-23-2010, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by dack70 View Post

That doesn't seem possible. I can't imagine the processor in the Revue can't handle Flash.

It depends on the overhead. As Mac users know Fash is extremely resource intensive because the framework is (until very recently) poorly optimized for anything but Windows. The actual video content is fairly common.

post #740 of 1827 Old 10-23-2010, 08:52 AM

I thought it did but I have no expertise in Flash so maybe it's different. I find it strange because some flash videos run perfectly - I have had no problems with Youtube's 1080p HD streams and ESPN, Netflix and Amazon always run at the maximum settings - and yet others are terrible. The NFL one is particularly annoying because their auto-detect correctly picks the maximum settings for my connection, but every 10 - 15 seconds the video will stutter which eventually causes the audio to get ahead of the video.
post #741 of 1827 Old 10-23-2010, 08:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Well, I've setup my Logitech Revue and I'm a bit torn but I also have PS3 and 360 which complicates things.

For me, the Revue (GoogleTV) has three features:
* Searching
* Netflix
* Media playback

Netflix is much, much worse than the PS3 or 360 but I expect that to change.

Media playback has a nice feature list on paper (MKV, H.264, AAC, MP3, etc), but it requires a DLNA server and can't load SMB/NFS network shares. My $50 Seagate Theater box can do this...

This leaves searching as the only feature that I can't really do elsewhere (and/or better). It's nice to be able to search for a program and see all available locations but I'm not sure exactly how often I'd use this feature. If they integrated Netflix, Hulu, and all available web content into the search results I can see this being extremely powerful and useful, but as of now everybody is blocking the device so basically it's a glorified DVR and cable guide search tool.

Like most people are saying, I think has great potential but I really don't see anything changing for at least six months or more.

I'm probably taking mine back.
post #742 of 1827 Old 10-23-2010, 09:17 AM

I havent had a issue with popups either. The browser is pretty decent. I know everyone complains about hulu and all but I don't really care about those sites. Also some flash sites do not work, tried to play some NES games on flash sites just to see if they would work and they wouldn't even load.

I do love the ability to browse on my tv, and yeah I know I could do it with a htpc, but this seems much better integrated with my cable. I love the search functionality. Just last night I was looking for some apatow movies and the search found he was on jay leno in a couple days so I set it to record. I thought that was a pretty sweet feature of this google tv. it also can search your DLNA media which is pretty sweet too. All the media player leaves a bit to be desired, as in no DTS support or changing audio tracks. I hope they fix that ASAP.

Oh and netflix too, google tv welcome to 2010 come on, what is with the 2008 interface!!

One last thing, the video auto-detect doesn't work too well. my bedroom is litterally right next to my tv room, so I can unplug one hdmi cable in the tv room and plug it into my tv in my bedroom to watch tv. well when I try to do that with the google tv it doesn't auto detect the tv in my bedroom as 720p and displays nothing. I have to manually switch the video back and forth in the settings.

So Google has a lot of fixes to make, but if they can get them done quickly I think this device will be a real winner. All new things take time, lets just home it doesn't take to long.
post #743 of 1827 Old 10-23-2010, 09:39 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon View Post

Bickering posts removed. Any further infighting in this thread will result in the lost of posting privileges. Discuss the technology, not each other.

Unless, of course, it's glowingly positive.

Thanks! Now maybe we can learn how to optimize this thing.

I would like to add that the new PS3 Netflix interface has completely spoiled me. I was hoping the Logitech would be similar but, its nowhere close.

Steve
post #744 of 1827 Old 10-23-2010, 10:07 AM

The one thing that might... might... be able to save it at this point will be the third party apps. I'm trying everything in my power to figure out how to get an ADB connection to the device but having no luck yet.
post #745 of 1827 Old 10-23-2010, 11:44 AM
Advanced Member

Google code names their versions of the Android OS - the latest version 2.2 is called "Froyo" (they tend to name them after snacks), and each time they put up a statue of the item outside their head quarters.

The next one is going to be called Gingerbread, and now they have just put up a Gingerbread statue outside their HQ.

Meaning: The next version of Android is just around corner.

Possibly meaning: An update to the Google TV is also very close.

If a carpenter makes a door he should get money every time someone uses it - he's also an "artist".
post #746 of 1827 Old 10-23-2010, 11:53 AM

I'm actually totally mystified by how any of the Google TV products are able to play Flash period. Everything I've seen says it's running on Android 2.1, which was only capable of Flash Lite. Full Flash didn't come until Android 2.2.

At the same time, Google TV is running Chrome (which is a desktop browser) on a mobile OS? Why wouldn't it be running the stock Android browser?

Something just doesn't add up to me.
post #747 of 1827 Old 10-23-2010, 02:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoverdrive View Post

I'm actually totally mystified by how any of the Google TV products are able to play Flash period. Everything I've seen says it's running on Android 2.1, which was only capable of Flash Lite. Full Flash didn't come until Android 2.2.

Yeah you are right... But Flash isn't part of Android, its a seperate Adobe product, so why would it even have to be bundled with 2.2 ? Perhaps that was just a marketing stunt?
Or perhaps the Google TV is still just on flash light,which could explain the problems some people have been reporting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoverdrive View Post

At the same time, Google TV is running Chrome (which is a desktop browser) on a mobile OS? Why wouldn't it be running the stock Android browser?

Something just doesn't add up to me.

Well, I think the stock android browser isn't quite capable enough. Or perhaps it is still there as well.

post #748 of 1827 Old 10-23-2010, 02:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:

Just because I know everyone was wondering, and strictly for scientific purposes... you can in fact surf certain *ahem* adult sites and display video.

Going to those sites would definitely test out how Chrome handles pop ups (from the browser I should clarify...)

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) -

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

post #749 of 1827 Old 10-23-2010, 04:36 PM

now that some of you have the Revue, can anyone answer this question. once the Revue is set up does that mean the tv can only be used with the Revue? can someone just come in gram the remote from the TWC supplied dvr and watch tv or does the Revue have to remain on for the passthrough hdmi to work? i hope my question makes sense. thanks.
post #750 of 1827 Old 10-23-2010, 11:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 524
Given that Froyo more or less just shipped, I would not say Gingerbread is imminent. Also, anyone with an Android phone knows that Android updates come when the manufacturer or carrier pushes them out; not when Google releases them. Pushing 2.3 to Google TV might or might not even be happening anytime soon and it might or might not involve Google itself. And it might or might not improve anything.
[sarcasm]
But by all means, bank on it happening in a week or two.
[/sarcasm]
As for Flash performance, there was a lot of truth in Steve Jobs' anti-Flash manifesto (and some pure gibberish, yes). Flash is a pig and an Intel CE4100 might or might not ever be able to put that pig into overdrive. But you really should not hold your breath. If the browser doesn't run some web-site Flash well today, assume it never will. That's a much better assumption than that some performance improvement release will come.

I don't really like that many of the comments are along the lines of "apps will save us" because very few Android apps run as background "services". If I have to go into an app to get something done, that's going to be a loser. The app needs to be something behind the Google TV UI, since the entire raison d'etre of the box is the UI. Whether such apps can and will be well implemented remains to be seen. I'm more interested in hearing Google's road map for this.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page