post #181 of 1827 Old 10-07-2010, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakmal View Post

Edit: Sandboxing : Is there a sandbox for the browser in Android ? Remember that the GoogleTV variety of Android is not open sourced yet. And anyways, sandboxing isn't going to prevent popups from invading your TV

Edit:

I don't think just porting to Android will be useful. In GoogleTV, you are at the mercy of the HW acceleration provided by the CE4100. XBMC by default uses CPU to decode videos. So, without knowledge of the APIs to hookup to the HW acceleration, porting is not going to serve much purpose, IMHO.

I don`t know, since i don`t develop apps for Android, but it`s possible that Google implemented something like this for it. As for pop-ups, i agree, going from AdBlock+/No-Script to this is going to be a little hard, but it`s the best i`ve seen from a set-top box atm.

As for XBMC, the latest Dharma builds support DXVA on Win and VDPAU on Linux, and use them by default. But regarding the CE4100, i presume Goog and Intel will make the APIs available, otherwise they would be blowing away a great oportunity, something Apple had in their hands when they releasead the ATV.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HTPC : AMD Zacate E350 with XBMC 10.00 + Aeon MQ
Storage : 6TB DLink NAS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1827 Old 10-07-2010, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenEyez View Post

As for XBMC, the latest Dharma builds support DXVA on Win and VDPAU on Linux, and use them by default. But regarding the CE4100, i presume Goog and Intel will make the APIs available, otherwise they would be blowing away a great oportunity, something Apple had in their hands when they releasead the ATV.

The CE4100 runs a custom Linux implementation (that is what the Boxee guys told me), so neither DXVA nor VDPAU is going to be available.

I also think Intel will not make the APIs available unless you pay them a licensing fee for development (NRE of sorts). That is the way the SoC market operates. Otherwise, Sigma could have released the APIs for the HW acceleration for the SMP865x or 864x and they would have actually sold more chips because of the huge open source community support they would have got, but there are other factors at play in the SoC field.

Ganesh T S
Sr. Editor,
post #183 of 1827 Old 10-07-2010, 10:41 AM

Liked: 10
[quote=Keith Mickunas;19301825]

The Dish DVR is the only one it can access, otherwise it just provides an overlay and the controls on the keyboard can switch over to driving your PVR, it is not true integration. The Revue box will not no anything about what shows you have on your PVR or anything that specific. It's hard to say at this point whether or not it'll know your channel mappings even, as they have not ever shown what can be done with any other PVR.

[quote]

I'm not overly concerned with "true integration" with my DVR. I just want my recorded shows to show up in the search, and to be able to play them. I know that works because I found a post somewhere with a list of tested DVRs and mine was in it. (wish I still had the link) The list was bigger than I expected.

I'm very optimistic about the potential of the Revue, with the ability to create Android apps for it. This is a version 1.0 device, and I expect it will improve dramatically. However, for the price I don't blame you for being cautious. Most people should wait it out a little longer and see how things progress. I'm just an early adopter whole loves his toys!

------------------------------
TV: Samsung LNT4671F
BD-DVD: Oppo BDP-83
Receiver: Onkyo TX-SR606
Logitech Revue (Google TV)
Cisco 8640HDC DVR (v. ODN 4.0.2_4)
post #184 of 1827 Old 10-07-2010, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Mickunas View Post

I'd just like to see something specific and clear, not marketing speak, that states it will truly support all devices in your entertainment center like a Harmony remote does. The fact that they seem to be tiptoeing around this issue makes me suspicious.

Perhaps they feel they've been clear enough -- "... several IR blasters built in to control all your entertainment devices ...".

The Engadget hands-on does say no macros but that's not a unique defect among Harmony remotes.

post #185 of 1827 Old 10-07-2010, 11:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by dack70 View Post

I'm not overly concerned with "true integration" with my DVR. I just want my recorded shows to show up in the search, and to be able to play them. I know that works because I found a post somewhere with a list of tested DVRs and mine was in it. (wish I still had the link) The list was bigger than I expected.

Quote:

Currently when using the Google TV Quick Search Box, it will not search DVR content unless Revue is paired with a supported DISH Network Set-top box model with the enhanced DVR integration subscription.

From here: http://forums.logitech.com/t5/Revue/...497596#U497596

I'm almost certain that all they mean when they list DVR's they support is that acting as a universal remote it can control them, but only with Dish can they search the content.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodosom View Post

Perhaps they feel they've been clear enough -- "... several IR blasters built in to control all your entertainment devices ...".

The Engadget hands-on does say no macros but that's not a unique defect among Harmony remotes.

You forgot the most important part, "such as your TV and satellite or cable box". Why don't they ever say more? That has me suspicious.

There is a video called "Adding Entertainment Devices to your Revue" on the Logitech Support site, and at the 17 second spot it specifically shows TV's and AV receivers as supported, as well as TV source and input devices, which I believe refers to mice and keyboards, as a blu-ray wouldn't really be an input device for the Revue.
http://revue.logitech.com/MartiniWeb...nt_Devices.mp4

Look, I'm not saying it doesn't do more, but I remain very skeptical. If it did, I think they would say so. Based on the fact that they won't expand on that feature set in any of their videos makes me suspect that the Harmony support merely means they are going to the same database for TV and receiver IR codes that the Harmony remotes use. And that's it.

Download my IR hex codes for the Denon AVR-4810ci and other Denon receivers
For Logitech Harmony support, ask Logitech for the Denon receiver in the account kmickunas.

post #186 of 1827 Old 10-07-2010, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntan View Post

Does Google even have a say in the price of the Logitech box, or the Sony TVs?

Not really. I was going to reply to the same quote, but decided not to press the point.

Granted Google, Sony, and Logitech (and Intel) are partners in this, so I'm sure they can at least make ... suggestions . But I doubt they can force the price, and I can't imagine they would on other non-partner licensees.

Quote:

Does Google get a royalty for licensing the (OS, firmware, name, whatever you want to call it) to Logitech, or is it free to use for any manufacturer that wants to sign an agreement with them?

I'd like to know that as well. Assuming it's using a model similar to Android, I believe the OS does not need licensing but the dev tools do (someone correct me if that is no longer the case)? No idea about the GoogleTV name.

Quote:

To my knowledge that one android phone that they had built by HTC and you could buy direct from their website was really the only product that google offered (to consumers) and I think they learned their lesson there.

Yeah, though what they were trying was quite unconventional (in the US at least), so I'm not sure we should read into it all that much. It's possible Google may bring out a product under their name again, though I don't necessarily see much of a reason to.

Quote:

Not being sarcastic here, but I just don't understand why people keep talking as if Google is completely in control of these things like they were selling them directly.

-Suntan

Agreed. This is like saying Google should prevent HTC from making $700 Android phones
post #187 of 1827 Old 10-07-2010, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Have either of you seen anything that specifically states it can control devices beyond the TV and STB?

It has IR emitters built into it from what I understand, and also can be outfitted with IR blasters if need be.

Quote:

I'm almost certain that all they mean when they list DVR's they support is that acting as a universal remote it can control them, but only with Dish can they search the content.

Yes, for now.

Several DVR's out in the wild have the capability for com. Google is working to integrate the functionality with such DVR's for Comcast, Verizon FiOS, etc. The expectation is that most providers that currently do not have DVR's with such capability will be moving to them soon.

Quote:

You forgot the most important part, "such as your TV and satellite or cable box". Why don't they ever say more? That has me suspicious.

There is a video called "Adding Entertainment Devices to your Revue" on the Logitech Support site, and at the 17 second spot it specifically shows TV's and AV receivers as supported, as well as TV source and input devices, which I believe refers to mice and keyboards, as a blu-ray wouldn't really be an input device for the Revue.
http://revue.logitech.com/MartiniWeb...nt_Devices.mp4

Look, I'm not saying it doesn't do more, but I remain very skeptical. If it did, I think they would say so. Based on the fact that they won't expand on that feature set in any of their videos makes me suspect that the Harmony support merely means they are going to the same database for TV and receiver IR codes that the Harmony remotes use. And that's it.

The claim is that it has full (or near full) Harmony tech built in, so it shouldn't be an issue. Note, they did explicitly talk about the top row of the keyboard as having controls for HT gear (receivers, etc) in the press event IIRC. If you read through the Engadget live blog, it answers many of the question your as asking (though details are a bit sketchy obviously).
post #188 of 1827 Old 10-07-2010, 11:12 AM
Advanced Member

Well if this is accurate it's quite depressing: Format support

For Logitech Harmony support, ask Logitech for the Denon receiver in the account kmickunas.

post #189 of 1827 Old 10-07-2010, 11:13 AM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by fshagan View Post

It looks like the Revue will be $179 from Dish Network, but I haven't heard if they are planning an additional monthly subscription fee. I was surveyed by Dish about price points, and while I can't remember the details exactly, the survey questions hinted that the box would either have a high price without a monthly fee or a lower, subsidized price with a monthly fee.

A one-time $179 (or even more) price would be fine if it provides DLNA access to my content on my WHS (it looks like it does) plus access to specific YouTube accounts (rather than just "YouTube" and all those cat videos). Accessing specific accounts on YouTube, Flikr, etc., complete with stored logins and passwords, would make it easy to catch up on the videos and pics of the extended family.

Having all of that integrated without having to change inputs on the TV would be a plus. A lot depends on the UI, how it displays slide shows of pictures, etc.

The pictures demo looks exactly like Gallery onthe Android phones. Which is great! I already have all my pics up on Picasa so it would be nice to just grab 'em on the computer anytime.
post #190 of 1827 Old 10-07-2010, 11:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raistlin_HT View Post

The claim is that it has full (or near full) Harmony tech built in, so it shouldn't be an issue. Note, they did explicitly talk about the top row of the keyboard as having controls for HT gear (receivers, etc) in the press event IIRC. If you read through the Engadget live blog, it answers many of the question your as asking (though details are a bit sketchy obviously).

I watched the live blog, I've scoured their site, I've posted questions on their forum, and I've found nothing that clarifies it. The keyboard is clearly shown on their website, it has volume, channel, and transport keys, but nothing special. There are no buttons that would support changing source on your receiver. There are buttons to switch between AVR, STB and TV control, and that is it. There is nothing on that keyboard for switching inputs to watch a blu-ray for instance. Even if it could, would you want to use this keyboard for controlling a blu-ray? There's been nothing mentioned about an actual remote aside from the keyboards and phones for this device.

All of their comments on device support are "TV, STB, A/V Receiver, etc." and never once have they expanded on etc. No screenshots using another device, no options ever shown, nor even shots of the phone apps doing something like that.

post #191 of 1827 Old 10-07-2010, 11:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:

Agreed. Hopefully folks weren't expecting a comprehensive set of supported formats..

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) -

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

post #192 of 1827 Old 10-07-2010, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

Agreed. Hopefully folks weren't expecting a comprehensive set of supported formats..

Actually, i was keeping my hopes up .

Booo. No MKV support, not HD audio bitstreaming. Quite depressing. They are trowing away a lot of the capabilities the CE4100 has, which even handles 3D Blu Ray from Intels specs. I hope somebody else besides Logitech is working on a similar box based on this platform.

HTPC : AMD Zacate E350 with XBMC 10.00 + Aeon MQ
Storage : 6TB DLink NAS
post #193 of 1827 Old 10-07-2010, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I had my fingers crossed considering they're using the same Intel CE4100 chip as in Boxee Box. It's too bad as I would've bought it for $180 via Dish if it had better local media support. I think Logitech/Google have a very hard sell with Revue at $300 (or even at Dish's subsidized $180). Add the webcam & other accesories they're pushing, and you're getting in the the neighborhood of $500. Pass.

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
post #194 of 1827 Old 10-07-2010, 11:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenEyez View Post

Actually, i was keeping my hopes up .

Booo. No MKV support, not HD audio bitstreaming. Quite depressing. They are trowing away a lot of the capabilities the CE4100 has, which even handles 3D Blu Ray from Intels specs. I hope somebody else besides Logitech is working on a similar box based on this platform.

I just think that Google is so focused on the whole Online Content push that local content and format support was put to the back burner, especially since us geeks who want more comprehensive format support are not necessarily the target audience.

Cheers,
Damian

post #195 of 1827 Old 10-07-2010, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

"... several IR blasters built in to control all your entertainment devices ...".

Quote:

You forgot the most important part, "such as your TV and satellite or cable box". Why don't they ever say more?

You're struggling with semantics for some reason. A typical native speaker of English understands that in the phrase "... control all your entertainment devices, such as ..." such as means a non-exhaustive set of examples. It's an extreme contrivance to imagine that such as is intended to introduce the only supported devices. For one thing such an interpretation would mean the box couldn't control your AVR.

If you're correct I'll cheerfully admit my shameful inability to read simple English copy.

post #196 of 1827 Old 10-07-2010, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, I'm not sure why people are making assumptions it will never expand. It's just not a priority right now.

It may or may not have those features later. As I said earlier in the thread, GoogleTV has piqued my interest, but I'm not expecting much in the way of capabilities for gen 1. People should look elsewhere if they need a streamer right now.
post #197 of 1827 Old 10-07-2010, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

There are buttons to switch between AVR, STB and TV control, and that is it.

The Engadget hands-on suggests continuing to use your stand-alone Harmony in any case since the Revue is limited even if it can control arbitrary devices.

post #198 of 1827 Old 10-07-2010, 12:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

I just think that Google is so focused on the whole Online Content push that local content and format support was put to the back burner, especially since us geeks who want more comprehensive format support are not necessarily the target audience.

Yeah, that's the biggest problem right now. It's mostly marketing fluff and they are only covering basic features. We won't know what all is going on until someone gets their hands on it for an in-depth review.

Quote:

You're struggling with semantics for some reason. A typical native speaker of English understands that in the phrase "... control all your entertainment devices, such as ..." such as means a non-exhaustive set of examples. It's an extreme contrivance to imagine that such as is intended to introduce the only supported devices. For one thing such an interpretation would mean the box couldn't control your AVR.

If you're correct I'll cheerfully admit my shameful inability to read simple English copy.

I get what you're saying, and that's what I find frustrating. They leave it vague and meaningless. If it could do everything, why haven't they demoed it controlling something other than an STB? Not one demo of that yet! C'mon, let's see it do something else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raistlin_HT View Post

Yeah, I'm not sure why people are making assumptions it will never expand. It's just not a priority right now.

It may or may not have those features later. As I said earlier in the thread, GoogleTV has piqued my interest, but I'm not expecting much in the way of capabilities for gen 1. People should look elsewhere if they need a streamer right now.

There's a lot of long term potential for this. I suspect it'll get far more interesting with the next version of Android, as Google has said 2.2 isn't really meant for tablets, and that Gingerbread is meant for that, I have to think in general 2.2 isn't useful for much beyond phones. Once it gets out there, and developers find out how to write apps for it, and hopefully access the hardware, we'll get a lot of interesting stuff for it. But notice that they also haven't covered internal storage?

Quote:

The Engadget hands-on suggests continuing to use your stand-alone Harmony in any case since the Revue is limited even if it can control arbitrary devices.

And that's exactly what I'm getting at. This is Logitech, they do the Harmony, they could put the RF chip in there that the higher-end Harmony remotes talk to and fully integrate it with your Harmony remote. But so far we have no real information as to how a Harmony remote will control this, if at all, and what this can do with other devices. There's just nothing concrete. Frankly if I'm just browsing the TV, I don't want to use a keyboard. And yet they've never shown a Harmony remote controlling this. If they were to fully integrate Harmony and Revue, as well as some of their other technologies like Squeezebox, that would be great. But since they aren't touting those features, I suspect they aren't there.

post #199 of 1827 Old 10-07-2010, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I get what you're saying, and that's what I find frustrating. They leave it vague and meaningless. If it could do everything, why haven't they demoed it controlling something other than an STB? Not one demo of that yet! C'mon, let's see it do something else.

If they extend the mobile device application then they've met their committment (poorly). If they don't it's not vague and meaningless it's a lie. Of course companies lie all the time.

They could do something a bit cool and sell a Duet-like controller and treat the Revue like a Duet receiver/WiFi gateway.

post #200 of 1827 Old 10-07-2010, 12:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

If they extend the mobile device application then they've met their committment (poorly). If they don't it's not vague and meaningless it's a lie. Of course companies lie all the time.

They could do something a bit cool and sell a Duet-like controller and treat the Revue like a Duet receiver/WiFi gateway.

Oh they could do so much with this thing it's ridiculous. Think about it, they now have something with access to the Harmony database that's tied in to your network. Now if they just add IP control to the Harmony database, well that would just make my head explode with all the possibilities. After all, I have remotes for my Squeezeboxes, Roku, and Denon receiver on my Nexus One, and there are remotes for my Verizon PVR (it sucks though, and is huge) and Tivo. It's stupid that my android phone using their app will send commands to the Revue only to have them sent as IR to the device.

But I've already seen quotes from Logitech that they aren't doing IP control of STBs at this time. Dammit. Frankly if they made something like a Harmony One or 890 that could work with the Revue and do IP control, I'd pay a lot of money for that setup. I'd consider parting with a grand for something like that.

post #201 of 1827 Old 10-07-2010, 01:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 524
Numerous media outlets quoted Logitech people as saying it will support MKVs. This includes a Logitech comment during the Q&A after the demo where the abbreviation MKV was uttered.

It's certainly possible that everyone mis-spoke. It's also possible that the spec sheet is incomplete.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
post #202 of 1827 Old 10-07-2010, 03:55 PM

Since the Revue definitely supports local media playblack, DLNA or USB, it's at the top of my list now (instead of the Boxee).

The Revue seems to contain a superset of functions over the Boxee right? For $100 more it better. It seems the only exception is that the Boxee can play pretty much any file format, which is not an issue for me since I just want m2ts support.
post #203 of 1827 Old 10-07-2010, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushinut View Post

The Revue seems to contain a superset of functions over the Boxee right?

Not entirely
post #204 of 1827 Old 10-07-2010, 04:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushinut View Post

The Revue seems to contain a superset of functions over the Boxee right?

And specifically what would that be??? I would say players have their strengths and weaknesses

Cheers,
Damian

post #205 of 1827 Old 10-07-2010, 05:53 PM

Quote:

And specifically what would that be??? I would say players have their strengths and weaknesses

I agree. I've been waiting for a while and for the Roku, Boxee, AppleTV, Seagate etc there's strengths and weaknesses for those. However, for the Revue, other than the price I don't see any significant weaknesses. At least for my requirements.

For the major features:

Boxee: local playback of more media filetypes, SD card reader, nice GUI, apps, QWERTY remote with 4way navigation. Netflix support is unknown. $200

Revue: local playback of fewer media filetypes, no SD card reader, GUI seems good although for the media player app it seems like it's a folder/file view, apps, keyboard remote with D-pad. Netflix.
Chrome browser, the whole integration of web, TV service, etc and the search function. $300

For my requirements it seems like the Revue is a better fit:
-local playback of m2ts files (home videos)
-youtube, pandora, and netflix. Picasa would be nice.

The full browser function is a big bonus to me. The speed of the GUI for the Revue seems to be fast based on the videos so far. However, I haven't seen how the media player app performs for a file list when there's a ton of videos/pictures on a local drive.
post #206 of 1827 Old 10-07-2010, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Frankly if they made something like a Harmony One or 890 that could work with the Revue and do IP control, I'd pay a lot of money for that setup.

You could just buy a system that did IR/RF/Serial/IP control.

post #207 of 1827 Old 10-07-2010, 07:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I will get it if I cab get rid of my Dtv expenses?
post #208 of 1827 Old 10-07-2010, 08:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 524
Can we end the "it's not really a Harmony speculation"...

From PCWorld:

"Today was a Logitech event, not a Google TV event, and what was shown here was centered around the Logitech Revue, which happens to take advantage of Logitech’s Harmony remote control platform. The Harmony platform alone supports more than 5000 brands and 225,000 devices, which means you’ll be able to control your audio-visual peripherals via the Revue system."

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
post #209 of 1827 Old 10-07-2010, 08:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post

I don't see this box being $240 better than a Roku. For $300 you can build a halfway decent HTPC. Google has to bring the price down for these boxes in the <$150 range for them to sell well. People will look at a AppleTV for $99 and a Logitech Revue for $300, and which one do you think they're going to get?

Google doesn't have to do anything (They don't tell Motorola what to charge for their Android phones). This is a Logitech device. This is essentially a Logitech Harmony remote - with GoogleTV.

Their most expensive remote is $399.99 and it sells, they clearly aim their devices at people who can pay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcd View Post

Let's not get carried away here with Android and Google as the supposed guardian of Open Source.

Nobody, certainly not Google has said anything about being guardians of open source. The picked the model which is likely to spread as much as possible.

Quote:

Google is promoting what it makes its money off and that is ads. Moreover, like phones, manufacturers will seek to customize Android to suit their purposes. It all sounds like a mess, and and expensive one at that.

It doesn't sound at all like a mess, its free options in a free world.

Quote:

Most people already have a TV. I doubt people will be running out to get a Sony one ( small for that matter) just for Google TV and to get a web browser interface over searching for their 20 programs they like. It's not as though there's this massive amount of creative TV stuff out there. In the meantime my PVR already has a search method which works fine.

Actually there are several things on the net which would be interesting. And that's the legal stuff - just wait until the average person realize they can stream stuff of dubious legality from dubious sources.

Quote:

I am not convinced that people want the web mixed in with their TV. You never know though. Perhaps there's more on the web than meets the eye.

I don't think anyone really expects people to sit and randomly browse like they may do on a PC. They go to specific sites and places and bookmark them. Wanna see http://live.twit.tv ? Go there and bookmark it.

Quote:

I agree with you on the phone thing, but then they are saddled by having multiple vendors customizing it.

Since it was predicable it was probably what they wanted from the start. Greater diversity means a greater number of people will be interested.

Quote:

What happened to their vision of the phone that was supposed to be the Nexus 1 I believe?

This was part proof of concept, part placing the bar all would have to top and part developer phone. I don't think they ever wanted to go into the hardware business.

Quote:

Anyway clearly Google has done some really neat and important things. I just don't like the ad thing...

Well at the moment they are saying there will be no extra advertising beyond what is on webpages you might visit (unlike the Boxee box i understand)

Quote:

- "Might" have Hulu support soon

How can they block it? The can see the user agent of the browser. As soon as the Android Market opens someone is going to make an app which makes it look like its Firefox running on a PC and poof goes Hulu (unless they wake up before that and realize it doesn't matter on which device people watch their stuff)

Quote:

I'm a little surprised at all the negative comments about this product. The only negative thing I see is that the price is a little high. But the price will eventually come down. I went ahead and ordered it, and can't wait.

Yeah, I'm a bit surprised myself. But I suppose we can only hope its like when Apple released the IPad - there were a ton of scathing comments then as well, and it quickly went on to sell like hotcakes.
Of course this probably has less cool factor, so will probably behave more like when Android was released; over the next couple of years it will slowly spread into all kinds of devices and be everywhere.

Quote:

bodosom, in one of their videos they show how to configure "other devices" and it looks to be based on the Harmony software. However it only shows TVs and receivers as options. That is what concerns me.

This is one of their high end Harmony remotes - it makes no sense to remove most of the functionality of one.

Quote:

The fact that they seem to be tiptoeing around this issue makes me suspicious.

Presumably they expect people to assume that it does.

Quote:

Interesting read about GoogleTV. GoogleTV will run Chrome, which like any browser can be subject to serious issues without protection/control (Virus, Popups, etc...). On a PC we can install AV software, what about with GoogleTV? What do you think, blown out of proportion or legitimate concern?

Totally out of proportions by someone who knows nothing of technology. A windows virus, if that is what he calls a danger, is not going to infest a system running another operating system (Android) - only the OS has root access all other apps run in total isolation for anything else. And when it becomes possible to install apps, you chose if you want to use non market applications.

If you get trapped up in 500 popups - just press OFF and back ON. If its the complete implementation of Chrome - it will run the addons from the chrome addons sites. Which includes popup blockers etc.

Quote:

The more I read about Logitech Revue / Google TV (with the added knowledge about the platform inside it), the more it appears to be just a HTPC. (with the same x86 platform).

It runs Android, and use the CE4100 processor. Google has certain hardware demands for devices wishing to call themselves "Google TV" so its more than just sofware, and there is no way addons could access the hardware.

Quote:

There is just a software wrapper that consumers will not be able to get past / play around with results similar to playing around on a HTPC.

A full OS is hardly a wrapper.

Quote:

Edit: Sandboxing : Is there a sandbox for the browser in Android ? Remember that the GoogleTV variety of Android is not open sourced yet.

Any certified Android device must run each user app level apps as separate sandboxed processes.

Quote:

Wait for the Market to open Arcmedia player

[quote=sushinut;19304514]Since the Revue definitely supports local media playblack, DLNA or USB, it's at the top of my list now (instead of the Boxee).
[/url]

One of the logitech people said on their forum that the only local network playback was via DLNA (ie no shares - though some android apps access windows shares) - they also said if you plug a drive into the USB it shouldn't be larger than 40GB (!) and only in FAT32 - which I think is pretty pathetic.

If a carpenter makes a door he should get money every time someone uses it - he's also an "artist".
post #210 of 1827 Old 10-07-2010, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arswhat View Post

One of the logitech people said on their forum that the only local network playback was via DLNA (ie no shares - though some android apps access windows shares) - they also said if you plug a drive into the USB it shouldn't be larger than 40GB (!) and only in FAT32 - which I think is pretty pathetic.

Damn, that's not good at all. Ok take that back about Revue not having any significant weaknesses.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page