Newbie trying to decide on media player - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 06-05-2010, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I currently have a Philips 5982 DVD player that I use to plug in a USB key and play divx AVI files with. However, lately I've wanted to play 720p MKV files and am tired of spending hours using ConvertX to DVD and then burning, etc. since most of the files are over 4GB and the DVD player only supports fat32, that has been my only option.

I've briefly checked out the Western Digital player and Asus player info online and it seems they may meet my needs and the price is where I want to be, around $100, but not quite sure they will meet all my needs.

I want to be able to plug in a USB drive to the player and be able to take MKV files I have on my PC and transfer them over the network to the hard drive connected to the media player and play them. I would be hooking the player up to my 720p plasma via HDMI and would occasionally just use the sound on the TV to watch movies. Other times I would like to use a Toslink optical cable output to my receiver to get the full 5.1 DTS surround (although really I just have the front speakers, center channel and subwoofer, technically 3.1 I guess).

I'm also considering a new router which factors in. Currently I have a Wireless G Dlink, but am researching new Wireless N routers with gigabit ethernet ports.

I've read about problems streaming over wireless, so I wouldn't necessarily need wireless. I can run a cat 5e cable through the wall, since my living room and office share a wall, so wireless isn't required. However, I would prefer a gigabit ethernet port, so that I can get the quickest speed transferring 10gb+ files from a PC to the HD connected to the player. Alternatively I guess I could connect the hard drive to the PC, then hook it back up like I do now, but would prefer not to.

I also wouldn't mind being able to do some of the streaming online apps such as pandora, etc. but that isn't a show stopper.

Needs: $130 or less price range, lower the better; ability to play MKV; ability to output sound via HDMI and either Toslink or Coax with DTS/Dolby 5.1 playback (looks like I could get a SPDIF to optical converter to get around this); ability to transfer files over Ethernet from PC to USB drive attached to the media player

Desires: gigabit ethernet port; streaming app support such as Pandora, etc.

Thanks for suggestions!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-05-2010, 02:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 28
WD live is a very simple media player and its in your price range. I had the WD live and it work pretty good when the hard drive was plugged into it. Over network for what I was trying to stream, it was either a hit or a miss on large blu ray mvk files. Or you could also wait and check out Popbox which I believe should be coming out in July.
post #3 of 5 Old 06-05-2010, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter

Ah, I think I was confused at first reading info about the WD TV and not the LIVE version. I didn't think it had DTS capability, but I see now that the LIVE does DTS decoding. The specs say that it has an S/PDIF digital output. Since my receiver doesn't have HDMI or S/PDIF input, I'm assuming I would need a cable to convert from S/PDIF to either Toslink/Coax to feed my receiver.

Do you have any idea if the unit outputs sound to the TV over HDMI and out the S/PDIF output at the same time or is it one or the other? Sometimes I use just the TV sound and other times I'll turn the TV sound down and just use the receiver/DTS and other times I'll use both. Just curious.

So it sounds like only drawback is that the ethernet connection is only 10/100, but that would probably be fine since that is all I have currently. Thanks for the info!
post #4 of 5 Old 06-06-2010, 04:43 AM

All current WD models have optical out (toslink)...
Look at the pics:
http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digita...dp_ob_title_ce
http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digita...ref=pd_sim_e_2
post #5 of 5 Old 06-06-2010, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter

Ah, thanks...that's what I thought from the pictures. The specs mention SPDIF digital output, which I thought was a different cable, but I guess that's not the case. Thanks
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page