AVS Forum banner

Wdtv live plus hd

169K views 825 replies 215 participants last post by  Otter0911 
#1 ·
#402 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by seether4113 /forum/post/19269411

What I'm looking for is a player that will allow me to go to my computer, open windows media player, and right click a song and then click play with... then select the unit. and have it play in the other room through my surround sound. My computer is in the bedroom and the tv and surround sound are in my living room, where the media streamer will be. Will this unit allow me to do that WITHOUT needing to ever turn on my tv in the living room. In other words, will I need to use any menus on the wdtv to get the music playing or can I do it all from the computer?

In case anyone else was curious about this since there were conflicting answers: YES, it will do exactly this. After you set the unit up, you can just plug this into your surround sound, turn it on, open Windows Media Player on your PC, and right click a file, play to... WDTVLIVE, and it works. No need for the tv connected to the surround sound to be on.

#403 ·
Could anyone explain why the WD live plus will read a 26GB folder (blu ray folder) at 2GB and the movie will start in the middle? I check the folder inside of the stream folder .m2ts file) on my computer it shows one file (26gb). Plugged it into a wd live plus and its shows 2gb. The movie is stored on a WD 2tb element drive. Using DvdFab to rip the movie. Some times on some rip it will show the correct size and will play it fine, but sometimes it will start in the middle and show a incorrect file size. Trying to help a friend out with this issue. He has the latest firmware on his WD live plus.

#404 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazz87 /forum/post/19376308

Could anyone explain why the WD live plus will read a 26GB folder (blu ray folder) at 2GB and the movie will start in the middle? I check the folder inside of the stream folder .m2ts file) on my computer it shows one file (26gb). Plugged it into a wd live plus and its shows 2gb. The movie is stored on a WD 2tb element drive. Using DvdFab to rip the movie. Some times on some rip it will show the correct size and will play it fine, but sometimes it will start in the middle and show a incorrect file size. Trying to help a friend out with this issue. He has the latest firmware on his WD live plus.

I can't help but I have a similar issue with one video_ts folder. The folder is labeled "Summertime (1955)" and contains a single video_ts folder with the ripped files. The folder shows up correctly on my Mac and plays fine (it is stored on a Synology NAS) but on the WDTV Live+ it shows up as "SCDMQV~I". It does contain a video_ts folder with ripped files but they will not play (I get an error box with "Unable to play the selected file"). I rip all of my movies the same way, rename them according to IMDB, and then copy them to the NAS. This is the first movie that I have had that doe this; all of the others work properly. Any ideas?

#409 ·
#412 ·
I moved my wdtv from an HD 1080 to a non-HD tv (576 I think?) in a different location and now I just get a blank screen....other peripherals are working fine going through my onkyo 570. I could take it back to the HD but it's a long drive....

Wondered if anyone knew how to reset it so it will support lower resolutions on the output....I didn't want to do a full reset if I can help it. Thanks!

#413 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowella
I moved my wdtv from an HD 1080 to a non-HD tv (576 I think?) in a different location and now I just get a blank screen....other peripherals are working fine going through my onkyo 570. I could take it back to the HD but it's a long drive....

Wondered if anyone knew how to reset it so it will support lower resolutions on the output....I didn't want to do a full reset if I can help it. Thanks!
Thats probably because the unit will default to 720p when switched from HDMI to component. Some older HDTVs don't support 720p, only 1080i or 480p - they should default to 480p instead.

But I've found you can always hook up temporarily thru standard composite video (yellow plug) which is always 480i output no matter what and you can then go to the setup screen and select the desired new output for component video for 1080i then power it off and it will remember that setting until its hooked up to HDMI again.

I have to do that if I move the unit between a newer HDMI-capable HDTV and an older component-only HDTV that doesn't support 720p.

#414 ·
Hi guys and thanks for reading...

i plan to buy the WDTV HD LIVE + ,,,

but i have some questions...

actually 2...

Will i be able to stream movies located on my PC?

do we get movie sheets - Cover Art by default?

or we need to install the B-RAD firmware?

thanks!!

#415 ·
I noticed that there is a Bonjour logo on the WDTV Live Plus web page. Does this mean that it can find playlists and metadata being shared by iTunes on my desktop?

The wife and I are avid iPhone users and keep our music and playlists synced with my desktop. I would like to avoid buying an Apple TV just to play our iTunes playlists since I want something like the WDTV Live Plus that can do everything else I need it to do. I don't want to dock the iPhone to play music, I just want to play the iTunes playlists that are already on my desktop and preferably browse by cover art, artist, etc.

If this has already been answered, I apologize; and would someone kindly point me in the right direction. Thanks!

#416 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskro /forum/post/19433648

Hi guys and thanks for reading...

i plan to buy the WDTV HD LIVE + ,,,

but i have some questions...

actually 2...

Will i be able to stream movies located on my PC?

do we get movie sheets - Cover Art by default?

or we need to install the B-RAD firmware?

thanks!!

1. You can stream movies from your pc as long as they are in a shared folder, personally I've never streamed from a pc just a nas, but it is possible as fas as I know.

2. by default you only get cover art provided you use a jpg with the same name of the movie. It looks like this (sorry for the blurry pic):

If you want metadata, then yes you will have to run different firmware

#417 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002whitegt /forum/post/19436582

1. You can stream movies from your pc as long as they are in a shared folder, personally I've never streamed from a pc just a nas, but it is possible as fas as I know.

2. by default you only get cover art provided you use a jpg with the same name of the movie. It looks like this (sorry for the blurry pic):

If you want metadata, then yes you will have to run different firmware

Silly question, how did you get the cover art area to display that big on the screen? Mine only takes up a fraction of that screen space.

#422 ·
I have toy story 3 that we just got and haven't even opened the package yet.

So far my live has played every BD ISO I'd thrown at it, though for some reason UP start at the part where the old folks home guys come to pick him up, other then that one they play strait through on my live.

I don't have a plus and I am using the homebrew but I don't think that makes any difference to how the ISO's play.

#423 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartman
I have toy story 3 that we just got and haven't even opened the package yet.

So far my live has played every BD ISO I'd thrown at it, though for some reason UP start at the part where the old folks home guys come to pick him up, other then that one they play strait through on my live.

I don't have a plus and I am using the homebrew but I don't think that makes any difference to how the ISO's play.
That's because the WD doesn't do BD menus and doesn't read/use the playlist. It just drills into the .iso to the BDMV\\STREAM folder and plays the biggest .m2ts file it finds as the main title. In the case of UP, it is authored as seamless branching, which means the main title is split into 21 separate .m2ts files. The WD picks and plays the biggest segment which is the one where "the old folks home guys come to pick him up". It will get done playing that segment and stop. It will do that with any title authored as seamless branching (i.e. Clash of the Titans, Wolfman, Prince of Persia . . . ). Your only option is to use ClownBD or TSMUXER to join the segments into a single .m2ts, at which point you might as well just feed it the .m2ts file. There is no advantage to using .iso files for the WD.

#424 ·
Well then, at least with the latest betas for the live it will do menus and all that with DVD based ISO files, just doesn't for BD based ISO files becuase I think it doesn't support the Java menu system or something like that becuase they didn't want to pay the licensing or whatever.

It doesn't matter anyways as it's the only one I have that's affected so far and I own the original movie so I can always watch it on the player.

I could always rip it the way you said or probably a few other ways to make it work, never knew why it didn't, just moved on.

#425 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by treefrog100 /forum/post/19434790

I noticed that there is a Bonjour logo on the WDTV Live Plus web page. Does this mean that it can find playlists and metadata being shared by iTunes on my desktop?

The wife and I are avid iPhone users and keep our music and playlists synced with my desktop. I would like to avoid buying an Apple TV just to play our iTunes playlists since I want something like the WDTV Live Plus that can do everything else I need it to do. I don't want to dock the iPhone to play music, I just want to play the iTunes playlists that are already on my desktop and preferably browse by cover art, artist, etc.

If this has already been answered, I apologize; and would someone kindly point me in the right direction. Thanks!

What does the "BONJOUR" support give you on the Live Plus? Does anyone know?

#426 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by treefrog100 /forum/post/19454364

What does the "BONJOUR" support give you on the Live Plus? Does anyone know?

For one thing it allows you to connect directly to a Time Capsule (via shares) as well as Macs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.