Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 826 Old 01-19-2011, 05:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

It can't "play" a BD.iso. It has no idea what to do with a playlist file. It can recognize the .iso structure and is just doing what the Seagate FAT+ does -- it goes into the STREAM folder within the .iso any plays the biggest .m2ts file it finds.

I understand that. I was more surprised that the Live+ pulled out stereo from a MA track when I was getting the impression that it could only pass a MA track since it didn't have a license to decode it. The fact that it says "DTS MA" on the option menu is interesting.

I media info says DTS on all my MKV's so MakeMKV must only include the DTS. I cannot repeat my previous no audio problem so I'm good for the time being.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 826 Old 01-20-2011, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Guys, what do you use to clean out movie metadata and get subtitles? I use MCM but subtitles is now a premium option. Wondering if there is a good software for getting the IMDB and subtitles.

Thanks
post #543 of 826 Old 01-23-2011, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonrib View Post

is there any chance of access grooveshark trough wdtv live or wdtv live plus ?

+1 on this
Does anyone know if this can be done?
Pandora doesn't work for Canada and Deezer doesn't have the popular artist base like Grooveshark has.

Samsung Plasma PN58C6500, LG Blu-Ray BD590, Pioneer Elite Rcvr SC-05, Bell TV 9400, Apple TV 1 Jailbroken XBMC, WDTV Live+, Patriot BoxOffice, Xbox 360, PC, Harmony 550
post #544 of 826 Old 01-24-2011, 08:27 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

Can the wdtv live plus hd output netflix streams at 24p?

Can anyone confirm 24fps support for netflix?
post #545 of 826 Old 01-26-2011, 05:48 PM

OK so I have been reading this forum for about 4 hours and I have not gotten any sort of answers for my questions.

I am trying to get UNCOMPRESSED sound. DTS-MA and DOLBY TRUE HD are the formats that I know of that allow this.

I do not want the Live+ to decode any audio. I would rather have my AVR do the decoding.

As far as I know if a Bluray player did not support the decoding of the LOSSLESS formats, it simply passed the information on to the AVR and the AVR did the work. This is my goal as I would rather my $700 AVR decode audio than a $100 WD box.

I have m2ts files (Some with DOLBY TRUE HD and some with DTS-MA). As of now I get NO SOUND when I play these files.

I am connecting the Live+ with an HDMI to the AVR. The setting is on Digital and the audio track I want to play is selected during playback.

If what I am trying to do is not possible is there a way to decode the DOLBY TRUE HD or DTS-MA to some generic format that the Live+ will read WITHOUT losing sound quality?

Thanks in advance.
post #546 of 826 Old 01-26-2011, 06:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by absolutrk View Post

OK so I have been reading this forum for about 4 hours and I have not gotten any sort of answers for my questions.

I am trying to get UNCOMPRESSED sound. DTS-MA and DOLBY TRUE HD are the formats that I know of that allow this.

I do not want the Live+ to decode any audio. I would rather have my AVR do the decoding.

As far as I know if a Bluray player did not support the decoding of the LOSSLESS formats, it simply passed the information on to the AVR and the AVR did the work. This is my goal as I would rather my $700 AVR decode audio than a $100 WD box.

I have m2ts files (Some with DOLBY TRUE HD and some with DTS-MA). As of now I get NO SOUND when I play these files.

I am connecting the Live+ with an HDMI to the AVR. The setting is on Digital and the audio track I want to play is selected during playback.

If what I am trying to do is not possible is there a way to decode the DOLBY TRUE HD or DTS-MA to some generic format that the Live+ will read WITHOUT losing sound quality?

Thanks in advance.

Wdtv hd plus will only play core Dd and dts from lossless
post #547 of 826 Old 01-26-2011, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Thanks in advance.

According to iboum.com, only media players using certain Sigma media processors have the potential to pass HD audio, none of the Realtek-based players do.

To find out which media players support HD audio, use the comparison matrix:

http://www.iboum.com/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #548 of 826 Old 01-26-2011, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 497
Quote:

Thanks in advance.
WD TV devices will play FLAC which is lossless. You can use EAC3to to convert from DTS-MA or Dolby True HD to FLAC. And then throw the audio track back into the MKV file via MKVMerge. And this also allows you to preserve the original audio tracks in the case that you upgrade to a future device that has good support for those tracks.
post #549 of 826 Old 01-26-2011, 08:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I won on a refurb WD HD TV Live Plus. It should be here next week. Do you all use custom cook ROM? What is the most popular one?
post #550 of 826 Old 01-27-2011, 08:51 AM

Liked: 11
Is it possible to change the font size for file listings? I'm looking to be able to increase the size to around 30

Happy to use custom firmware it this is what is needed

Tolax
post #551 of 826 Old 01-27-2011, 11:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 356
Has anyone used a dual-drive USB enclosure with the WD Live (plus). I have a 2-bay USB enclosure configured as JBOD (2 separate drives), so when it is plugged into my PC the drives show up as two volumes (two separate drive letters). I would like to know if I could plug it into the USB port of the WD Live and see/access the two drives on the WD (I want massive local storage).

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #552 of 826 Old 01-27-2011, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrogin View Post

According to iboum.com, only media players using certain Sigma media processors have the potential to pass HD audio, none of the Realtek-based players do.

Thanks for the tip. I don't know if I want to go through the effort for all 100 bluray rips I have. But I will keep it in mind as a last resort.
post #553 of 826 Old 01-27-2011, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrogin View Post

Thanks for the info... I'll check these out
post #554 of 826 Old 01-31-2011, 08:49 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Has anyone used a dual-drive USB enclosure with the WD Live (plus). I have a 2-bay USB enclosure configured as JBOD (2 separate drives), so when it is plugged into my PC the drives show up as two volumes (two separate drive letters). I would like to know if I could plug it into the USB port of the WD Live and see/access the two drives on the WD (I want massive local storage).
I have done this using a Rosewill R2 enclosure with 2 Seagate 1.5TB HDD's. The Live+ with 1.03.49 fw does NOT work. The Live+ only detects 1 of the HDD's. My old media players (Tvix 4000 & 6500) detect both HDD's. It is my guess that this will never be fixed in future firmware and may be associated to the USB controller hardware within the Live+.

*My ever so smart GF has done & did an edit to my signature... now using other ways of concealing my passwords*
post #555 of 826 Old 01-31-2011, 11:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marde View Post

I have done this using a Rosewill R2 enclosure with 2 Seagate 1.5TB HDD's. The Live+ with 1.03.49 fw does NOT work. The Live+ only detects 1 of the HDD's. My old media players (Tvix 4000 & 6500) detect both HDD's. It is my guess that this will never be fixed in future firmware and may be associated to the USB controller hardware within the Live+.

Thanks. Not good to hear since I have a Rosewill with a pair of 2TB drives I want to use. There is a new 1.04.10 firmware. I wonder if it will make a difference.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #556 of 826 Old 02-07-2011, 10:53 AM

post #557 of 826 Old 02-07-2011, 11:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

They seem to be pumping out the firmware updates. That's always a good sign.

- kelson h

post #558 of 826 Old 02-09-2011, 05:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Using the 1.04.18 firmware, it still doesn't work to see two drives. I agree with you that the problem is probably the Live plus hardware -- it's USB port can't work with a hub.

There is another option, however, that is satisfactory for me. I have the RoseWill with a pair of 2 TB drives. Instead of configuring as JBOD I re-configured the enclosure as BIG with the switch set for >2TB volumes. You then have to plug it into a Win-7 PC and initialize the HDD space with a GUID style partition table in order to see and format the full 4TB volume -- MBR partition tables can't support volumes over 2TB. You can't use Win-XP for this, it doesn't support GUID partition tables and won't see the BIG volume -- at least not on my machine. Fortunately, I also have a netbook with Win 7 starter that can do the job.

After a quick NTFS format, I loaded a video file to the volume then plugged it into the WD Live Plus. The Live plus sees the 4TB volume and handles the GUID partition just fine -- the video played without issue. So I get the massive local storage I wanted, just as a single volume instead of two. I've had the WD Live plus running over night loading BD.m2ts files to the 4TB volume. So far working like a charm.

- kelson h

post #559 of 826 Old 02-09-2011, 07:34 AM

Quote:

Using the 1.04.18 firmware, it still doesn't work to see two drives. I agree with you that the problem is probably the Live plus hardware -- it's USB port can't work with a hub.

There is another option, however, that is satisfactory for me. I have the RoseWill with a pair of 2 TB drives. Instead of configuring as JBOD I re-configured the enclosure as BIG with the switch set for >2TB volumes. You then have to plug it into a Win-7 PC and initialize the HDD space with a GUID style partition table in order to see and format the full 4TB volume -- MBR partition tables can't support volumes over 2TB. You can't use Win-XP for this, it doesn't support GUID partition tables and won't see the BIG volume -- at least not on my machine. Fortunately, I also have a netbook with Win 7 starter that can do the job.

After a quick NTFS format, I loaded a video file to the volume then plugged it into the WD Live Plus. The Live plus sees the 4TB volume and handles the GUID partition just fine -- the video played without issue. So I get the massive local storage I wanted, just as a single volume instead of two. I've had the WD Live plus running over night loading BD.m2ts files to the 4TB volume. So far working like a charm.

It's definitely not a hardware issue, I'm using an unofficial firmware that supports USB hubs. I have a USB RAID enclosure on one port, and a USB hub on the second port with a flash drive and a USB keyboard. Hopefully WD will add USB hub support eventually.

Views expressed are my own and do not necessarily represent those of my employer or its parent company.
post #560 of 826 Old 02-09-2011, 07:49 AM

I could have misread a post, but, I have read (not tested) that the WD Live plus does support USB hubs, just not like you'd probably like it to.
One drive per USB port, whether there's a hub or not. For instance each port could have a hub with one drive attached, and some other device like wifi, keyboard, etc.
post #561 of 826 Old 02-09-2011, 09:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WackyEngineer View Post
It's definitely not a hardware issue, I'm using an unofficial firmware that supports USB hubs. I have a USB RAID enclosure on one port, and a USB hub on the second port with a flash drive and a USB keyboard. Hopefully WD will add USB hub support eventually.
Good to know. I would be interested in what USB RAID enclosure you are using? Is it a 2-drive (Raid 0,1) or a 4-drive (Raid 5).

- kelson h

post #562 of 826 Old 02-09-2011, 09:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZJbrandon View Post
I could have misread a post, but, I have read (not tested) that the WD Live plus does support USB hubs, just not like you'd probably like it to.
One drive per USB port, whether there's a hub or not. For instance each port could have a hub with one drive attached, and some other device like wifi, keyboard, etc.
I have a powered USB hub in a drawer somewhere, so tonight I'll play around and see what it does with a few external drives.

- kelson h

post #563 of 826 Old 02-09-2011, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZJbrandon View Post

Interesting, that's a good point. If they don't support a hub at all, if you wanted wireless and a keyboard, you couldn't connect a drive. I think I've had multiple drives on the hub (with the unofficial firmware), but I'm not sure. I'll plug another drive in tonight and make sure. That will at least confirm if it's a hardware or software limitation.

Views expressed are my own and do not necessarily represent those of my employer or its parent company.
post #564 of 826 Old 02-09-2011, 02:03 PM

Quote:

Good to know. I would be interested in what USB RAID enclosure you are using? Is it a 2-drive (Raid 0,1) or a 4-drive (Raid 5).

I'm using a 4 drive RAID-5 enclosure, it's a Mediasonic PRORAID HFR2-S3B. I always use RAID-3 or RAID-5, since I don't want to lose everything due to a single drive failure. I've been pretty happy with it so far.

post #565 of 826 Old 02-09-2011, 06:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I'm using a 4 drive RAID-5 enclosure, it's a Mediasonic PRORAID HFR2-S3B. I always use RAID-3 or RAID-5, since I don't want to lose everything due to a single drive failure. I've been pretty happy with it so far.

Nice, I looked it up. The version without firewire is $50 cheaper. And you have this array plugged into the Live plus USB port, right?

- kelson h

post #566 of 826 Old 02-10-2011, 07:15 AM

Quote:

Nice, I looked it up. The version without firewire is $50 cheaper. And you have this array plugged into the Live plus USB port, right?

Yes, plugged directly into the USB port. When I first got the Live Plus, I was accessing media across the network, but didn't like the way it handled thumbnails, etc. so I went with the USB drive.

Russ

post #567 of 826 Old 02-10-2011, 10:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Yes, plugged directly into the USB port. When I first got the Live Plus, I was accessing media across the network, but didn't like the way it handled thumbnails, etc. so I went with the USB drive.
I use a pair of powerline adapters between my NAS and my entertainment center. The throughput is ~50Mbps which is good enough to stream any DVD.iso but not quite enough for BD.m2ts. So I keep all my DVD source on the main NAS but need local USB storage for BD. And since it is BD, I need massive local USB storage. The 4TB Rosewill will keep me for quite a while, but I'll be keeping my eye on the 4-bay RAID units for the future.

- kelson h

post #568 of 826 Old 02-10-2011, 10:29 AM

Quote:

Russ

Using the USB RAID box seems like a good idea for me too. My NAS is too close to full and I need some cheap storage -mainly for movies and the Live. What is the storage size of your RAID-5? Do you remember if it was working ok back when you used WD firmware?

With the RAID box connected via USB to your Live, are you able access the RAID via a networked PC and transfer data to/from the RAID?

You mentioned an issue with thumbnails across the network. Are you using 3rd party cover art software, or just basic thumbnails stuff?

Quote:

I am sorry. I really did not mean to push a belief or rumor that the Live+ has a USB hardware issue. My thought was simply that, My Rosewill R2 USB box works on my old media players and it does not work properly while connected to my Live+, and therefore, I was guessing that WD will never fix this problem. The Live+ (USB controller) hardware and/or firmware has an operational limitation preventing detection of the second HDD within the Rosewill-R2.

*My ever so smart GF has done & did an edit to my signature... now using other ways of concealing my passwords*
post #569 of 826 Old 02-10-2011, 10:31 AM

Quote:

I use a pair of powerline adapters between my NAS and my entertainment center. The throughput is ~50Mbps which is good enough to stream any DVD.iso but not quite enough for BD.m2ts. So I keep all my DVD source on the main NAS but need local USB storage for BD. And since it is BD, I need massive local USB storage. The 4TB Rosewill will keep me for quite a while, but I'll be keeping my eye on the 4-bay RAID units for the future.

Did you get your Live to see the second HDD inside the R2?

Oh Wait!, I think I see it now, you are using the R2 as JBOD-Big or whatever it is called.

post #570 of 826 Old 02-10-2011, 10:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Did you get your Live to see the second HDD inside the R2?

Oh Wait!, I think I see it now, you are using the R2 as JBOD-Big or whatever it is called.

Right. On another note, I looked up the Mediasonic enclosure Wackyengineer cited and read the setup section in the manual. Once you tell it what RAID configuration to adopt, it sets up the same way as the Rosewill did, which was pretty simple. You need a Win-7 or Vista machine to do it and you initialize the big volume as GPT (GUID) partition style. Once it's formatted you plug it into the WD and it sees it as the big volume.

I can access the 4TB Rosewill, plugged into the Live plus, over the network from my Win-XP PC and do all the read/write/delete file management tasks I need to do, same as with my NAS. If I plug it directly into the USB of my Win-XP PC, the PC doesn't see it at all. I see no reason the Mediasonic RAID enclosure would not behave the same way.

- kelson h

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page