Wdtv live plus hd - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 826 Old 05-03-2011, 11:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
well, I still have stuttering with .vob's over network, if I "enter" on first vob.
(This worked fine back a few FW's ago, 3.49, IIRC)
Pressing "Play" on the Video_TS folder plays the movies fine, but of course then I lose chapter support.
I even tried rewinding the FW to 3.49, and it still stuttered!

I guess, I may try out B-rad after all.

Does Netflix work okay in the B-rad FW?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 826 Old 05-03-2011, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZJbrandon View Post

well, I still have stuttering with .vob's over network, if I "enter" on first vob.
(This worked fine back a few FW's ago, 3.49, IIRC)
Pressing "Play" on the Video_TS folder plays the movies fine, but of course then I lose chapter support.
I even tried rewinding the FW to 3.49, and it still stuttered!

I guess, I may try out B-rad after all.

Does Netflix work okay in the B-rad FW?

Any reason you can't just convert them to .iso? DVD.iso files work perfectly.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #633 of 826 Old 05-03-2011, 03:01 PM

Well, I have just shy of 300 movies that are all Video_TS.
So..it'd be quite a project (plus needing to buy more disk storage) to convert them all, just for chapter support.

I keep just saying to myself (and the wife, who actually uses the WDTV more than me) it's a shortcoming we'll have to live with. But a fairly regular occurance at my house is that we'll start a movie out in the main room on the Popcorn Hour, then decide to move to the bedroom and finish it in there on the WDTV. Well, getting to the middle of a movie without chapter support is a real test of patience. I can't skip faster than about 8x, either, it seems.

Chapter support really doesn't seem like a deal breaker for me, but it's a nit that picks at me, especially since when my WDTV was new with whatever FW it came with, it worked just fine!

*sigh*... I dunno...
post #634 of 826 Old 05-06-2011, 03:53 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:

....I keep just saying to myself (and the wife, who actually uses the WDTV more than me) it's a shortcoming we'll have to live with. But a fairly regular occurance at my house is that we'll start a movie out in the main room on the Popcorn Hour, then decide to move to the bedroom and finish it in there on the WDTV. Well, getting to the middle of a movie without chapter support is a real test of patience. I can't skip faster than about 8x, either, it seems.....

Did you know that while fast forwarding you can press 'NEXT' to move ahead 10 minutes? You can also do that while rewinding by pressing 'PREV' to skip back 10 minutes.

Hope this helps..........

Dave

Uxbridge, MA.

post #635 of 826 Old 05-07-2011, 07:01 AM

No, I did not!
Thank you! I will have to try that out.

Thanks!
post #636 of 826 Old 05-07-2011, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athlon646464 View Post

Did you know that while fast forwarding you can press 'NEXT' to move ahead 10 minutes? You can also do that while rewinding by pressing 'PREV' to skip back 10 minutes.

Hope this helps..........

Quote:

No, I did not!
Thank you! I will have to try that out.

Thanks!

I was about to post that myself. In the case of BD source, the Live+ doesn't read the playlist so there is no chapter support (I just feed it BD.m2ts files anyway). I find the 10 min skip actually quite preferable. It's not too much of a chore to note the time position in the title before I have to stop it and with a defined 10 min skip it's quite easy to get back there quickly.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #637 of 826 Old 05-07-2011, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

I was about to post that myself. In the case of BD source, the Live+ doesn't read the playlist so there is no chapter support (I just feed it BD.m2ts files anyway).....

I use m2ts files as well, except in the case of music videos. For those I use the mkv container because they have chapter support and I can then chose a specific song.

(Use the 'OPTION' button to advance to a specific chapter if you have chapters in an mkv file.)

I use MakeMKV. It's still free while in beta, and it does not change the video or audio in any way.

Dave

Uxbridge, MA.

post #638 of 826 Old 05-08-2011, 12:27 AM
AVS Special Member

I don't recall seeing this mentioned here, so apologies if this info is a repeat. It has already been reported that the latest firmware, 4.31, implements the Netflix V3 interface. What I just discovered is that the V3 interface enables the Live+ to stream DD plus audio (over HDMI) and subtitles for those Netflix titles that have it. I just tried a couple titles and DD/5.1 is selected by default. My Onkyo shows DD plus in the display. All is not perfect. I tried a couple episodes of Eureka and although DD/5.1 was selected it still sent stereo.

Netflix streamers with AVR's should be looking to upgrade to 4.31 if they haven't already. The number of players that can do this is a pretty short list.

- kelson h

post #639 of 826 Old 05-08-2011, 05:06 AM

DD 5.1 works fine for me with the new Netflix API. For audio I'm using the optical connection from my WD box to my Yamaha receiver.

Dave

Uxbridge, MA.

post #640 of 826 Old 05-08-2011, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

DD 5.1 works fine for me with the new Netflix API. For audio I'm using the optical connection from my WD box to my Yamaha receiver.

Good info, I wondered about the Live+ optical connection output. Reason being, I had never seen Dolby Digital+ (a.k.a EAC-3) displayed on my Onkyo before, so I looked it up in Wikipedia. According to the article there,
Quote:
Dolby Digital Plus bitstreams are not backward compatible with legacy Dolby Digital decoders, and decoders that output audio over legacy S/PDIF connections must transcode the bitstreams to an older format such as PCM, AC-3, or DTS.

so I wondered what the Live+ is doing with it. It is coming out of the Live+ to your AVR as DD+ or AC-3. I guess it all hinges on what they define as a "legacy S/PDIF" connection.

I have 3Mbps DSL which isn't fast enough for Netflix HD. Is your Internet connection faster? Can you tell if you are getting HD streamed from Netflix for those titles? I hear it's hard to tell and the WD is no help in that regard.

- kelson h

post #641 of 826 Old 05-08-2011, 11:36 AM

i have 2.5 mb dsl and i have seen my brother watch aliens in hd.
post #642 of 826 Old 05-08-2011, 12:54 PM

Quote:

Good info, I wondered about the Live+ optical connection output. Reason being, I had never seen Dolby Digital+ (a.k.a EAC-3) displayed on my Onkyo before, so I looked it up in Wikipedia. According to the article there, so I wondered what the Live+ is doing with it. It is coming out of the Live+ to your AVR as DD+ or AC-3. I guess it all hinges on what they define as a "legacy S/PDIF" connection.

I have 3Mbps DSL which isn't fast enough for Netflix HD. Is your Internet connection faster? Can you tell if you are getting HD streamed from Netflix for those titles? I hear it's hard to tell and the WD is no help in that regard.

I'm with Charter Cable, 15 down/5 up. It looks very good on my 60" HDTV. It would be difficult to convince me it is not HD. It certainly looks better than DVD quality (I've done quick switching back and forth to compare).

BTW - here is a great thread with an updated dated list of Netflix 1080p/5.1 Dolby streaming titles: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1297186

Dave

Uxbridge, MA.

post #643 of 826 Old 05-08-2011, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpsfreak View Post

How could you tell? I mean, other than subjective appearance is there any readout that says the incoming video stream is 720 or 1080?

- kelson h

post #644 of 826 Old 05-08-2011, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

BTW - here is a great thread with an updated dated list of Netflix 1080p/5.1 Dolby streaming titles: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1297186

Thanks. I found that thread last night. It was referenced in another post that got me thinking about the WD Live+ and spurred me to check out the Netflix V3 interface.

- kelson h

post #645 of 826 Old 05-08-2011, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpsfreak View Post

He just watched a HD movie in SD resolution. 2.5 Mbps is half the speed you need to watch a Netfix stream in HD. The problem is , Netflix adjusts the bitrate according to the internet speed and you "think" you are watching HD. The most efficient codec in the world can't show a HD picture with 2.5 Mbps.

Standard Definition Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema, And May Complicate Pregnancy
post #646 of 826 Old 05-08-2011, 04:09 PM

i dunno but it looked very good,better than dvd picture heh.
post #647 of 826 Old 05-15-2011, 12:04 AM

post #648 of 826 Old 05-15-2011, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogib View Post

New official fw: http://download.wdc.com/wdtv/wdtvliveplus_1.05.04_B.zip

As of the time of this post (Sunday May 15 @7:54am eastern), there is not an 'official' firmware update for the 'Live Plus'.

Downloader beware!

There are some posts over at the WD support site with folks who have tried and have had issues.

(There is an update for the 'Live' only.)

Dave

Uxbridge, MA.

post #649 of 826 Old 05-15-2011, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

As of the time of this post (Sunday May 15 @7:54am eastern), there is not an 'official' firmware update for the 'Live Plus'.

Downloader beware!

There are some posts over at the WD support site with folks who have tried and have had issues.

(There is an update for the 'Live' only.)

Thanks for the heads-up. I generally wait for my Live+ to tell me there is an update available and it takes care of the rest.

- kelson h

post #650 of 826 Old 05-16-2011, 04:49 PM

Quote:

(random nonsensical ravings)

No, this is an official firmware update. The only "issues" you see reported about 1.05.04 on the WD support site are in regards to the NON plus version. No one has been reporting anything on 1.05.04 for the plus other than myself and I have had no issues whatsoever with it other than an outstanding Netflix issue that I have had with EVERY fw release for the plus.

Install 1.05.04_B on your Plus and be happy with the update ffs!
post #651 of 826 Old 05-16-2011, 05:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogib View Post

No, this is an official firmware update. The only "issues" you see reported about 1.05.04 on the WD support site are in regards to the NON plus version.

Nonetheless, as of this writing the observation is this update is not available on the server for auto update on the Live+; it's not available for download on the Live+ support site or the general support site; its not listed on the WDC community forum, only the 1.04.31 firmware is announced for the Live+.

The only sign of it's existence is the link you supplied. I'm glad you report no problems since I usually upgrade as soon as my Live+ tells me it finds an update.

- kelson h

post #652 of 826 Old 05-17-2011, 02:47 AM

I don't know why my post is being called nonsense. Everything I posted is true.

The Plus update he found is not an 'official' release. There are issues for some with that download. That is why they have not officially released it.

I'm glad he has not had any problems with it, but remember not everyone's setup is the same as his.

Because he listed a direct download link to a file deep on the WD servers, my post was indeed appropriate as it added factual info about that file.

Dave

Uxbridge, MA.

post #653 of 826 Old 05-17-2011, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:

Thanks for the heads-up. I generally wait for my Live+ to tell me there is an update available and it takes care of the rest.

I also will wait for my Live+ to alert me to an available firmware. I would prefer not to download and install something that clearly was not made available en-masse to Live+ users.

~Tighr: Not helping the situation since 1983

post #654 of 826 Old 05-17-2011, 10:46 AM

Any word on the updates/changes/additions in the new firmware? Any new content providers? (e.g., Hulu Plus, Crackle, etc.)
post #655 of 826 Old 05-17-2011, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgreco View Post

Any word on the updates/changes/additions in the new firmware? Any new content providers? (e.g., Hulu Plus, Crackle, etc.)

The latest release notes for the Live can be found here: http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/update...y=wdfwdtv_live

The latest release notes for the Live Plus can be found here: http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/update...fwdtv_liveplus

Dave

Uxbridge, MA.

post #656 of 826 Old 05-17-2011, 01:00 PM

Quote:

The latest release notes for the Live can be found here: http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/update...y=wdfwdtv_live

The latest release notes for the Live Plus can be found here: http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/update...fwdtv_liveplus

I see those are the release notes for the "official" firmware updates. This latest 1.05.04_B release isn't listed in the official list yet. I was just wondering what benefit there would be to installing this new version before it becomes official. I downloaded the zip file but no release notes were included. Can anyone comment on what's new in 1.05.04_B?
post #657 of 826 Old 05-17-2011, 01:11 PM

Quote:

I see those are the release notes for the "official" firmware updates. This latest 1.05.04_B release isn't listed in the official list yet. I was just wondering what benefit there would be to installing this new version before it becomes official. I downloaded the zip file but no release notes were included. Can anyone comment on what's new in 1.05.04_B?

My guess is that it will be very similar to the new release for the 'Live'.

Also a guess - it's being held back because of a Netflix issue. I'm speculating that is the reason because I believe Netflix is about the only difference between the two.

You could try it at your own risk of course, or just wait a little for the final version. Remember, if you try it and need support from WD, they will likely tell you to go back and reinstall the current official firmware anyway.

Dave

Uxbridge, MA.

post #658 of 826 Old 05-17-2011, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The Live and Live+ have been pretty much in lockstep as far as firmware updates and with the exception of Netflix features the release notes have been the same for a FW revision. So just take a look at the release notes for 1.05.04B for the Live and that will pretty much be what to expect for the Live+. As I read it the biggest fix is the >2TB disk support for USB attached drives.

- kelson h

post #659 of 826 Old 05-17-2011, 02:11 PM

The question is now moot, gentlemen.

New firmware for the 'Live Plus' has just been officially released!

Release notes: http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/update...fwdtv_liveplus

Direct download: http://download.wdc.com/wdtv/wdtvliveplus_1_05_04_B.zip

Dave

Uxbridge, MA.

post #660 of 826 Old 05-17-2011, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Is there a community list of USB keyboards that are known to work with the Live+? Are any of them wireless keyboards?

I have a Logitech wireless keyboard/mouse combo, and I was not able to get it to work. Wanted to see if there was a place to get info on a wireless one that does.

~Tighr: Not helping the situation since 1983

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page