Wdtv live plus hd - Page 26 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #751 of 826 Old 08-18-2011, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Is that the clear content license key option?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #752 of 826 Old 08-18-2011, 01:47 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker412 View Post

Is that the clear content license key option?

I've never done it, but that must be what that does. It can't hurt to try it. You can always re-enter your license keys to the services you use again.

Dave

Uxbridge, MA.

post #753 of 826 Old 08-22-2011, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Interesting. I didn't update any firmware (as far as I can tell) between last night and today, yet the UI for Netflix changed! Very interesting.

~Tighr: Not helping the situation since 1983

post #754 of 826 Old 08-22-2011, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tighr View Post

Interesting. I didn't update any firmware (as far as I can tell) between last night and today, yet the UI for Netflix changed! Very interesting.

Mine too, hate it. Looks like the awful one on the Roku.
post #755 of 826 Old 08-23-2011, 03:51 AM

Mine changed as well.

Dave

Uxbridge, MA.

post #756 of 826 Old 08-23-2011, 05:44 AM

Liked: 10
Ugh, it looks even more like the horrific mess the main page of the Netflix site has become. And they removed the list of recently watched videos which is half the reason I used the wdtv for netflix over another device. Who decides to REMOVE functionality when redesigning a UI? Whoever keeps coming up with these horrible Netflix UIs needs to be fired.
post #757 of 826 Old 08-23-2011, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlock View Post
Whoever keeps coming up with these horrible Netflix UIs..............
It's Netflix.........

Dave

Uxbridge, MA.

post #758 of 826 Old 08-23-2011, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Athlon646464 View Post
Mine changed as well.
Me too... sucks

bob
post #759 of 826 Old 08-23-2011, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlock View Post

they removed the list of recently watched videos

it is still there, second row
post #760 of 826 Old 08-23-2011, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Need some advice. I am starting from scratch and going to rip my DVDs to play on one of these. I don't think I need the plus, since I already have a Roku for streaming. I just want USB hardrive support to hook up directly to the WD TV. I am only interested in the movie and the artwork. I tested out MakeMKV, and it seems to do a good job, so I will use that. What process would you go through to "prep" the files for the WDTV? Should I just go ahead and rip all the movies, and use a software program (if there is one) to put in the artwork later, or should I add the artwork as I go? If so, how do I do this? Thanks
post #761 of 826 Old 08-23-2011, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member

MKVs don't support artwork afaik. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
post #762 of 826 Old 08-24-2011, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinusss View Post

it is still there, second row

They must have changed it again after I posted that, yesterday my second row was the top 10, which has moved down to the third row now. I retract most of my complaint, but still preferred the old UI as you could see a whole page of options instead of having to scroll sideways through everything.
post #763 of 826 Old 10-03-2011, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 167
Today I noticed Fry's has red labeled the Live Plus... meaning they have stopped carrying it. Is there a replacement, etc?
post #764 of 826 Old 10-03-2011, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

Today I noticed Fry's has red labeled the Live Plus... meaning they have stopped carrying it. Is there a replacement, etc?

red label?
post #765 of 826 Old 10-03-2011, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 307
Quote:

Hopefully it doesn't mean discontinued for lack of sales.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #766 of 826 Old 10-03-2011, 12:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I picked up my 3rd live plus on Friday and it was in a different packaging than the previous 5 I have used. Box was much slimmer and the stuff was no longer stacked inside, all have been purchased from Best Buy.

Bill
post #767 of 826 Old 10-03-2011, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

Hopefully it doesn't mean discontinued for lack of sales.

They have sold reasonably well although nothing like Roku... I'd guess Roku outsells it well over 20 to 1... much more so. By red label I mean when they discontinue something they change the shelf label to red. It could just be new packaging or whatnot.
post #768 of 826 Old 10-05-2011, 01:55 PM

Quote:

There might be something to this. A newer version was allegedly spotted at a Best Buy, and a new thread was started.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1364999
post #769 of 826 Old 10-06-2011, 04:45 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
on my WD TV plus, I don't see Hulu plus. Do I have to buy a newer version of WD TV plus to get Hulu plus or just update the firmware? Thx.
post #770 of 826 Old 10-06-2011, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tt08 View Post

on my WD TV plus, I don't see Hulu plus. Do I have to buy a newer version of WD TV plus to get Hulu plus or just update the firmware? Thx.

firmware
post #771 of 826 Old 10-06-2011, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by treefrog100 View Post

There might be something to this. A newer version was allegedly spotted at a Best Buy, and a new thread was started.

Looks evolutionary, not revolutionary to keep the price point the same -- but jeeze, couldn't they pick a unique name. Talk about confusion. Looks like the "new" Live is to the Live Hub, what the "old" Live was to the Live+. Hardware-wise, they added built-in wireless, GigE and HDMI 1.4 while eliminating obsolete outputs -- only HDMI and composite now -- and supply a "real" full-sized remote. I wonder if media players are subject to the same restrictions as BD players of having to eliminate component outputs. Probably not, but let's face it -- component and S-video outputs are going the way of analog tuners.

It's already listed on the WD web site for their media players. The web site has changed since last week. The previous WD Live is gone completely -- WD had already discontinued it for sale in the US and it was listed only for sale outside the US. Now it's history.

The WD Live+ is now also "gone" as far as a US product -- if you click on the WD Latin America link you can find the info for the WD Live+ which has taken the place of the previous WD Live as the product for outside the US. Only the "new" WD Live and the Live Hub are displayed for the US market. NewEgg is starting to clear their Live+ stock, you can get it for $80 with promo code until 10/10 with free shipping.

My fear is that this marks the true end of life and end of firmware updates for the "old" Live/Live+ series. The last one was in August, nothing for September. I had hoped for one more update to fix the menu bug with subtitle selection.

The "new" WD Live appears to just be a refreshed version of the Live+ to appeal to buyers new to the market or their product -- the biggest changes being the switch to the Live Hub UI and the inclusion of wireless; people have always complained that it didn't include wireless. It's not looking like a box that someone with a current Live(+) would feel driven to upgrade to. That being said, I'll probably buy one of the "new" Live boxes when NewEgg starts to carry them -- only because I need another media player for another TV. If it uses the same chip and interface as the Live Hub the firmware should not be that different and so there might not be too many bugs on release (I see there already is an October FW update listed). I'll wait a bit to see the early reports but I'm fairly certain I'll buy one. I still feel they have the best box at this price-point and a little extra functionality costs way too much addtional $$.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #772 of 826 Old 10-06-2011, 08:58 AM

I agree that this is a very modest hardware improvement to refresh the line, but it isn't enough for me to want to upgrade for the sake of upgrading. Regular updates of firmware are a major plus for WD and why I will never buy a similar Netgear product ever again.

I had read about 6 months ago that the next generation of Sigma chips would include XBMC built into the chipset. I was hoping the next WD hardware update would include that feature, but apparently it may be another year. That would be worth upgrading.
post #773 of 826 Old 10-06-2011, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 63
WiFi is nice, but I don't need it. I have an in-house LAN drop to each TV in my house. The only things I use wireless for are my laptop and my phone (and the Wii, since it didn't come with a LAN port).

~Tighr: Not helping the situation since 1983

post #774 of 826 Old 10-06-2011, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by treefrog100 View Post

I agree that this is a very modest hardware improvement to refresh the line, but it isn't enough for me to want to upgrade for the sake of upgrading. Regular updates of firmware are a major plus for WD and why I will never buy a similar Netgear product ever again.

I had read about 6 months ago that the next generation of Sigma chips would include XBMC built into the chipset. I was hoping the next WD hardware update would include that feature, but apparently it may be another year. That would be worth upgrading.

Yes, I see no reason to upgrade from a current WD Live+. I really just want one more FW update to fix that darn menu bug.

I don't expect to see any truly advanced features added to the Live that will move it off the $99 price point they have established. They won't even do DTS-MA because of license cost. What I do see is a box that is the Live Hub without the 1TB HDD and with built-in wireless. That makes the Hub way over-priced at $199. They better have a refresh of that box on the horizon or it will die off.

- kelson h

post #775 of 826 Old 10-06-2011, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

That makes the Hub way over-priced at $199. They better have a refresh of that box on the horizon or it will die off.

I agree, they just killed off the Hub with its 1TB HDD unless they drop the price significantly. The Live (v2.0) will be better with the buyer being able to add a 3TB for basically the same price.

Jessica

Whats a nice guy like you doing in a place like this?
post #776 of 826 Old 02-23-2012, 09:49 AM

I wonder if anyone has heard rumors about a possible port of Amazon VoD on WD TV Live Plus boxes...
post #777 of 826 Old 02-23-2012, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by webblogger4 View Post

I wonder if anyone has heard rumors about a possible port of Amazon VoD on WD TV Live Plus boxes...

Such rumors would be just wishful thinking. The Live+ is done as a product and only listed on their site as a product for Latin America. There is no further support for the US Live+. It hasn't had a firmware update since 8/11 (v1.06) whereas the LA Live+ gotten one more (1.06.20) in 9/11.

- kelson h

post #778 of 826 Old 02-24-2012, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

How do I tell if the pay for ONE service for Pandora is actually working on the WDTV Live Plus? I paid for it but am still not sure how to tell? I think there is a green dot next to my Pandora login email when I launch but not sure if that always was there?

bob
post #779 of 826 Old 02-24-2012, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spongebob View Post

How do I tell if the pay for ONE service for Pandora is actually working on the WDTV Live Plus? I paid for it but am still not sure how to tell? I think there is a green dot next to my Pandora login email when I launch but not sure if that always was there?

bob

Not sure, but that green dot is always there. It just shows which account is active. Me and my wife both have Pandora. (Not ONE) and who evers account is playing has the green dot next to it.
post #780 of 826 Old 02-24-2012, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darenm View Post

Not sure, but that green dot is always there. It just shows which account is active. Me and my wife both have Pandora. (Not ONE) and who evers account is playing has the green dot next to it.

Thanks. How often is there a commercial or timeout on your regular free account?

bob
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page