Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 826 Old 06-10-2010, 06:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchie View Post

I love the calm, rational responses that this company elicits from the users around here. Seriously, what did WD do to you? Poison your dog? Cut off your mother's pension? What?

When somebody creates an account in the last seven days and only makes posts defending a corporations new product, then you know that its "astroturf"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astroturfing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 826 Old 06-10-2010, 06:50 AM

Ask the mods to post the IP address blue stinger is posting from. I think you will find its at WD corporate offices.
post #93 of 826 Old 06-10-2010, 08:39 AM

i bought both. i am not going to buy this one.
post #94 of 826 Old 06-10-2010, 11:35 AM

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestinger View Post

I'm not 'out of the conversation', I'll post as I damn well please.
You people cried forever that wdtv didn't have dvd menu support, so it gets dvd menu support and now you're all crying that theres a new unit with netflix.

Theres no pleasing any of you. You're getting a HELL of a lot out of a little box that cost barely more than $100.

God lord man stop the crying. You are totally missing the point on why people are pissed. If WD told people 2-3 months ago that they are working on a new box that will be released shortly that can do Netflix and Menu's then at least they are giving the people an option to either wait or buy the current box that's out.
post #95 of 826 Old 06-10-2010, 03:05 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskro View Post

Looks like the differences between the 'WDHD TV LiVE' & 'WDHD TV LiVE +' are:

-NETFLiX supported
-DVD iSO with Menu supported

So i guess that DTS-HD MA passthrough is not on WD's mind....
What a shame...
I think we may have to wait for the 'WDHD TV LiVE ++' for DTS-HD MA
which should come in a near futur...
More players to buy = more $$$ for WD

hahaha

So with the new beta firmware the only difference between the 2 is the worthless netflix support-hoo boy.
post #96 of 826 Old 06-10-2010, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Quote:

Am not in the US so it is neither here nor there for me, but I must tell you that my first impression is that this is good for US consumers. The price is right and they have produced a shipping product. The media companies are trying to control what video devices can play. Getting Netflix on a popular product like the WDTV is great for media player fans. They probably had to get it certified which is not easy. I am afraid that the days of the free ride are rapidly coming to an end. Hulu free won't be for much longer. The choices are free+ads (like TV) or subscription or pay per view. It's getting very confusing. It's not just in the video world but also the ebook world which is in total chaos. The media companies are going to try and play one device off against the other in order to optimize profits. You only have to look at what happened to Kindle's $9.99 prices when the iPad came out ( I have both device and the Kindle is great and better for reading books in my opinion, but the iPad has sold a lot and book publishers have played Apple off against Amazon).

I wonder what will happen to the Popcorn box and Boxee Box. I wouldn't want to bet on the latter.

philip
post #97 of 826 Old 06-10-2010, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iboum View Post

Source?

By source, I mean where did you get this information from. Did you open the unit yourself and look. Or is this information you got from other source?

Anyways, someone here has a conflict with your claim and states the chip is an 8654 and not the 8655 you claim. See below:

Quote:

You 're right, it's 8654, B-rad confirms!

B-rad is a pretty dependable source since he is the guy who has hacked most of the firmware on these WD Live. So until you claim your source, I am leaning towards B-rad confirmation.
post #98 of 826 Old 06-11-2010, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcd View Post

Am not in the US so it is neither here nor there for me, but I must tell you that my first impression is that this is good for US consumers. The price is right and they have produced a shipping product. The media companies are trying to control what video devices can play. Getting Netflix on a popular product like the WDTV is great for media player fans. They probably had to get it certified which is not easy. I am afraid that the days of the free ride are rapidly coming to an end. Hulu free won't be for much longer. The choices are free+ads (like TV) or subscription or pay per view. It's getting very confusing. It's not just in the video world but also the ebook world which is in total chaos. The media companies are going to try and play one device off against the other in order to optimize profits. You only have to look at what happened to Kindle's $9.99 prices when the iPad came out ( I have both device and the Kindle is great and better for reading books in my opinion, but the iPad has sold a lot and book publishers have played Apple off against Amazon).

I wonder what will happen to the Popcorn box and Boxee Box. I wouldn't want to bet on the latter.

philip

I agree completely with that.

The mixture of multi format support and the biggest commercial on-demand provider is exactly the direction this industry must be going in. It's the only way Media Players as we know them can survive. Ultimately the content providers hold all the cards. If/when the acquisition of content by nefarious means is made more difficult, it is the availability of content that will drive consumer hardware purchases.

The only thing Western Digital could have perhaps done differently is to announce the new product, but they never do this. Otherwise, it's the nature of technology at the cutting edge that it is always possible that it will be superseded quickly. In this case, the only benefit of the new product is Netflix (with DVD menus being fixed for the older product also) so people really have nothing to complain about.
post #99 of 826 Old 06-11-2010, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfcarbel View Post

By source, I mean where did you get this information from. Did you open the unit yourself and look. Or is this information you got from other source?

Anyways, someone here has a conflict with your claim and states the chip is an 8654 and not the 8655 you claim. See below:

B-rad is a pretty dependable source since he is the guy who has hacked most of the firmware on these WD Live. So until you claim your source, I am leaning towards B-rad confirmation.

I'm not entirely sure you are talking to me but if you are then you have got the wrong end of the stick.

I've always (24hours!) stated that the chip is an 8654. Not by opening up the box but by knowing the specifications of the various Sigma chips and implying the chip from the Live Plus specs. The specs and capabilities are very close to a new Viewsonic box (inc Netflix) that has been confirmed as a 8654AD.
post #100 of 826 Old 06-11-2010, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daphatty View Post

Un-****ing-believeable. So I have to buy the new one just to get netflix and dvd navigation? GFY Western Digital. GFY.

WDTV Live will be the last Western Digital product I buy. And I've been a loyal customer for years...

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/index.asp?cat=30

DVD navigation is now available through software. Have it working and its great. Just netflix is not. Still have the option of returning it and getting the Live Plus. Might do that if the Popbox does not bring netflix, which I have on pre-order.
post #101 of 826 Old 06-11-2010, 09:45 AM

NEVER NEVER NEVER BUY WD PLAYER AGAIN................

SPEN MONEY SOME WHERE ELSE WHERE BUGS WILL BE FIXED IN FUTURE......

NOT NEW DEVICE "WDTV LIVE BUG" WITH ALL BUG FIXES

Forget about netflix, How many requested fixes/features has been addressed in WDTV/LIVE...... There may be netflix, also many other bugs...., They don't fix the bugs then, But will release new version after 6 months...

KEEP ON BUYING.........

GO TO HELL
post #102 of 826 Old 06-11-2010, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny_w View Post

Yes it is definitely a WDTV Live Plus. It is not on the Best Buy site, but others here have said they have seen them there3, so I asked a salesman who said they did not have any and could not even find any of the regular Live (v2). Anyway I wandered around the store over by the hard drives and lo and behold there was one (1) sitting all by itself on the shelf! I grabbed it quick and checked out ($139). I could have gotten it cheaper from buy.com but I didn't want to wait.

How curious, that is almost exactly what happened to me yesterday!

The day before I received an email from Best Buy with a couple of Rewardzone coupons attached. One was for $20 off the regular price of a WD TV Live HD media player - not the Live Plus.

When I went to BB I found an interactive display of the WD TV Live HD with several boxed WD TV HD units ready for sale, but no WD TV Live. I asked and no one knew anything about the Live version, let alone the Live Plus.

One salesperson even checked online and neither the Live or Live Plus were on Best Buy's Web site, only the WD TV HD.

I too wandered around the HDD section and surprisingly, exactly like you, found one lone Live Plus unit setting next to several more of the WD TV HDs. Nowhere was there any indication that either the Live or the Live plus were supposed to be on the shelf, i.e., there were no shelf tags with a price.

When I went to checkout, the Live Plus scanned at $139 and I suppose since the the coupon I had was for the Live and not the Live Plus SKU, the register would not accept my coupon... that or the coupon was not in the system yet. Either way, as it turned out, it didn't matter because the floor manager gave me the twenty dollar discount anyway.

I just found it odd that we both found a single lone Live Plus at Best Buy after no one there seemed to even know what it was.
post #103 of 826 Old 06-11-2010, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwhy View Post

I just found it odd that we both found a single lone Live Plus at Best Buy after no one there seemed to even know what it was.

These things are so good, they sell themselves.
post #104 of 826 Old 06-11-2010, 12:21 PM

I really like to have the DVD navigation capability. Can the Live firmware be used on a second generation unit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallu2u View Post

DVD navigation is now available through software. Have it working and its great. Just netflix is not. Still have the option of returning it and getting the Live Plus. Might do that if the Popbox does not bring netflix, which I have on pre-order.

post #105 of 826 Old 06-11-2010, 02:39 PM

This thread is hysterical!!! I don't understand why everyone is bitching about this wd tv live plus. I have the original wd tv, and it works perfectly. I never bought the live plus, because it takes about 30 seconds to copy a file that i want to watch to my hard drive and walk it back to my wd tv. So streaming from my computer isn't a big deal, because i'm not lazy.

Now they have released a new box that has netflix support (apparently with an added chip or something in order to stream it), which everyone has been screaming for and STILL you are b!tching.

If you don't like the features, don't buy the box. If you are skeptical, read the posts of other users and decide if you want to buy it.

I, for one, am VERY pleased with this new little gadget... can't wait to get my hot little hands on it
post #106 of 826 Old 06-11-2010, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenmet29 View Post

So streaming from my computer isn't a big deal, because i'm not lazy.

Ok, while I have no problem with the releases, streaming from a network has nothing to do with laziness.
post #107 of 826 Old 06-11-2010, 03:07 PM

Liked: 12
I see its available on newegg.com for $119.95.
post #108 of 826 Old 06-11-2010, 03:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by folkboat View Post

I see its available on newegg.com for $119.95.

Niiiiiice!

Jessica

Whats a nice guy like you doing in a place like this?
post #109 of 826 Old 06-11-2010, 04:41 PM

does anyone know where wdtv live Plus is being sold? i live in the san francisco bay area. Thanks.
post #110 of 826 Old 06-11-2010, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanSang View Post

I really like to have the DVD navigation capability. Can the Live firmware be used on a second generation unit?

I'm in the same boat...this is the only feature I've been waiting for but don't have the Live version.

Hoping they make this option available for the older wd tv models.

Can I bum a sig?
post #111 of 826 Old 06-11-2010, 05:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordGamer View Post

So, it appears safe to say it supports ISOs.

All I need is Netflix HD confirmation and I'm sold.

The new Mediafly integration can stream HD vodcasts, which look fines, so I don't see why it wouldn't work with HD from Netflix

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanSang View Post

Why don't you read the thread? It has been mentioned several times that the new beta firmware for the "old" live includes DVD navigation (including a link)

Quote:

This thread is hysterical!!! I don't understand why everyone is bitching about this wd tv live plus.

Everyone isn't.

Quote:

Now they have released a new box that has netflix support (apparently with an added chip or something in order to stream it), which everyone has been screaming for and STILL you are b!tching.

Everybody has not been screaming for it. You shouldn't write untruths.

If a carpenter makes a door he should get money every time someone uses it - he's also an "artist".
post #112 of 826 Old 06-11-2010, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctor media View Post

Ask the mods to post the IP address blue stinger is posting from. I think you will find its at WD corporate offices.

You're six different flavors of crazy. It really speaks to some kind of mental illness that you would insist anyone disagreeing with you is some kind of 'operative'.

I hereby give permission for any mod to verify my IP comes out of Florence SC.
post #113 of 826 Old 06-11-2010, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubbiechris View Post

God lord man stop the crying. You are totally missing the point on why people are pissed. If WD told people 2-3 months ago that they are working on a new box that will be released shortly that can do Netflix and Menu's then at least they are giving the people an option to either wait or buy the current box that's out.

Does ANY company do this with ANY product? You folks are acting childish over product cycles.
post #114 of 826 Old 06-11-2010, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

I think im about to cross over to the hater camp.

I just got in the new WDtv live box and its loaded with problems.

1. right out of the box the power pack failed.
2. 2 of the 3 videos i played skipped, hung then sped up.
3. the thumbnail screen looks fuzzy and the color looks washed out.

I cant believe they gave up the reliability of the old one to gain a few features.

I like how the new box turns the drive off and some of the other options but i cant even get it to play my files consistantly which the old one has no problems with.

All i wanted from the new unit was DTS and the componet out thats it. If the old one had this i wouldnt of got the new one.

This sickens me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsantos
How can you tell a point is a reflection point?
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxcooper
sit in normal spot
have friend slide mirror on wall
see speaker? bingo!-Max
post #115 of 826 Old 06-11-2010, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowerR64 View Post

I think im about to cross over to the hater camp.

I just got in the new WDtv live box and its loaded with problems.

1. right out of the box the power pack failed.
2. 2 of the 3 videos i played skipped, hung then sped up.
3. the thumbnail screen looks fuzzy and the color looks washed out.

I cant believe they gave up the reliability of the old one to gain a few features.

I like how the new box turns the drive off and some of the other options but i cant even get it to play my files consistantly which the old one has no problems with.

All i wanted from the new unit was DTS and the componet out thats it. If the old one had this i wouldnt of got the new one.

This sickens me.

You got the live, or the live plus? Did you bother to update the firmware?
post #116 of 826 Old 06-11-2010, 08:03 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I just purchased the Live Plus and have had on and off success. It does stream Netflix HD and allows you to manage your que via its interface although it is slower compared to the game console guis. I seem to have some playback stutter a minute into some movies in some locations around my house. I know for sure it is not my network, I have gigabit everywhere and the older Live I had before had no problems with the exact same movies in the same locations. A step backwards in deed. Although they play fine from the Plus when on the same switch as the host PC. I am using Twonky Media Server to serve up. Don't know if I will keep or wait for a pop box.
post #117 of 826 Old 06-11-2010, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricanmeng View Post

I am using Twonky Media Server to serve up.

Anything other than a direct share is a complete FAILURE. Stop using "media servers" they do nothing but introduce a level of absolute **** into the process. No tversity, no twonky, no anything. Share a damn folder. Its maddening that no matter how much this has been preached in the past people refuse to learn.
post #118 of 826 Old 06-12-2010, 05:13 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I already have my folders shared with no user name and password but I keep getting the invalid username or password error. What do I do then?
post #119 of 826 Old 06-12-2010, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestinger View Post

Anything other than a direct share is a complete FAILURE. Stop using "media servers" they do nothing but introduce a level of absolute **** into the process. No tversity, no twonky, no anything. Share a damn folder. Its maddening that no matter how much this has been preached in the past people refuse to learn.

You 're giving people WRONG ADVICE.

In the WD Live (and Plus) there is a "Media servers" option (works with tversity, windows media player etc.) and a "Network shares" option (shared folders in your pc).
Try them BOTH, and find out which one is faster in YOUR case.
(In my case only the "media servers" option can stream .m2ts bluray video without any hiccups - but external subtitles are not supported this way only internal ones)
post #120 of 826 Old 06-12-2010, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordGamer View Post

Ok, while I have no problem with the releases, streaming from a network has nothing to do with laziness.

ok... i do agree that it MIGHT not have anything to do with laziness BUT it's not worth an extra $120 to me to buy a different wdhd when the one I have works fine. Netflix though, his a whole different animal.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page