network shares on wdtv live plus - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 06-15-2010, 04:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i cannot for the life of me get my network shares to show up. I have been through two you tube tutorials, wd sharing guide plus playing with different settings.

I had it set up at one point through media servers so i know it can see my network, media server is now turned off.

I am using win7 on the main htpc, all the folders are shared, permissions are set to everyone with read, home groups turned off...

i can see the shares on my laptop, but nothing on the wd box...

please help!

"If the world didn't suck, we'd all fly off."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-15-2010, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

really, no one has any suggestions?

post #3 of 6 Old 06-16-2010, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_311 View Post

really, no one has any suggestions?

manually set the IP on your wdtv and see whether that helps (it should be under network settings). I never had your issue specifically, my wdtv was constantly seeing and dropping shares. Manually setting the IP completely resolved it.
post #4 of 6 Old 06-16-2010, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by icyfire22 View Post

manually set the IP on your wdtv and see whether that helps (it should be under network settings). I never had your issue specifically, my wdtv was constantly seeing and dropping shares. Manually setting the IP completely resolved it.

did that.

i can see the htpc as a media server just fine, i just cant see the networks shares...

post #5 of 6 Old 08-18-2012, 06:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
SUBTITLE: Do It RIGHT or Do It QUICK... wink.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_311 View Post

i cannot for the life of me get my network shares to show up...

...I am using win7 on the main htpc, all the folders are shared, permissions are set to everyone with read, home groups turned off...

i can see the shares on my laptop, but nothing on the wd box...

please help!
From my reading it appears that most folks don't understand the current relationship between SHARING and SECURITY. I'm an "Old Fart", running a LAN since the days of WFWG 3.11 and 10 Mbps coaxial cable, with most of my current PCs running Win2K so when I bought a Vista Home Premium PC and then a Windows 7 Home Premium PC I was BURIED between NTLM2 / LMCompatibilityLevel and SHARING vs SECURITY. I ended up creating a new user 'MEDIA', granting it FULL SHARING and FULL SECURITY to my Media Folders. I also started removing EVERYONE from SHARING to 'Clean Up' the displays on the Media Streamers.

Most of the online solutions that I read recommended "Opening the Barn Door WIDE OPEN" (i.e. granting FULL ACCESS to EVERYONE) but I didn't feel that that was the correct solution. You can learn a great deal about networks on "PChuck's Blog".

BOTTOM LINE: IMHO, it all depends on how much effort / time you are willing to spend. You can grant FULL ACCESS to EVERYONE for EVERYTHING *OR* you can create a new 'MEDIA' User and grant it FULL ACCESS to just the specific Media Folders. For me, it was a puzzle that I enjoyed solving. For others, who don't wish to spend the effort / time, they just take the SHORTCUT.

Good Luck in whichever method you decide to use! smile.gif

Low Post Count <> Low Knowledge ergo High Post Count <> High Knowledge

ClearToLand's Picks For Best Answers to Common ReplayTV Questions

Remember, it's only TV...
post #6 of 6 Old 08-18-2012, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearToLand View Post

SUBTITLE: Do It RIGHT or Do It QUICK... wink.gif
From my reading it appears that most folks don't understand the current relationship between SHARING and SECURITY. I'm an "Old Fart", running a LAN since the days of WFWG 3.11 and 10 Mbps coaxial cable, with most of my current PCs running Win2K so when I bought a Vista Home Premium PC and then a Windows 7 Home Premium PC I was BURIED between NTLM2 / LMCompatibilityLevel and SHARING vs SECURITY. I ended up creating a new user 'MEDIA', granting it FULL SHARING and FULL SECURITY to my Media Folders. I also started removing EVERYONE from SHARING to 'Clean Up' the displays on the Media Streamers.
Most of the online solutions that I read recommended "Opening the Barn Door WIDE OPEN" (i.e. granting FULL ACCESS to EVERYONE) but I didn't feel that that was the correct solution. You can learn a great deal about networks on "PChuck's Blog".
BOTTOM LINE: IMHO, it all depends on how much effort / time you are willing to spend. You can grant FULL ACCESS to EVERYONE for EVERYTHING *OR* you can create a new 'MEDIA' User and grant it FULL ACCESS to just the specific Media Folders. For me, it was a puzzle that I enjoyed solving. For others, who don't wish to spend the effort / time, they just take the SHORTCUT.
Good Luck in whichever method you decide to use! smile.gif
+1
I am also an old fart and I independently ended up with the same solution. Only difference is the name of the new user that I created.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page