Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 390 Old 07-09-2010, 03:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gradynh View Post

thanks to everyone for the help. What finally did it was proper sharing to "Everyone" as detailed in this post.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...d-fd3d431f3cd5

Now it works well.

Cool... I forgot to mention that... I'm running off Windows Vista at home... I had to play with windows 7 at work to try to find the solutions you were looking for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 390 Old 07-09-2010, 04:31 PM

som updates
updated the firmware

Shipped with 01.13.03.21
updated to v01.13.05.21
so the file on the website VMP75_v01.13.05.21.35.zip is NEW

it still crashes when u push different media buttons too fast
or when it's trying to stream u have to be patient or it crashes
Youtube looks great but everything HTTP does take LONG to load

Good news: both wireless KB & wireless mouse work
i just plugged them in & they type and click =)
generic CHINA 2.4Ghz KB, Logitech MX revolution

SHoutcast doesn't work for most of the stations,
i think i figured out why: Live365 shows some as
requiring a login account, Shoutcast does not.
It just briefly tries to load & then freezes ,
U have to push the back button to un-freeze.
Shoutcast worked w/ the stations Live365 played

I have it networked into my Windows Home Server
this didn't require any change in settings, it shares just fine =)

Gradynh- glad u got the proper permission
post #63 of 390 Old 07-09-2010, 04:37 PM
Advanced Member

MrJKuta, thanks for the info.

Can you tell if there is any way to setup shortcuts/favorities to network shares on a file (Samba) server? Looks like there are bookmarks but I guess these maybe only for websites.

My biggest pet peeve with these devices are dumb and click intensive interfaces. I sent WD Live back because it took several tedious steps to navigate to a network share where I keep movies. If VMP75 is similarly crappy, I guess there is no choice for me but to pony up for Dune.
post #64 of 390 Old 07-09-2010, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemat View Post

MrJKuta, thanks for the info.

Can you tell if there is any way to setup shortcuts/favorities to network shares on a file (Samba) server? Looks like there are bookmarks but I guess these maybe only for websites.

My biggest pet peeve with these devices are dumb and click intensive interfaces. I sent WD Live back because it took several tedious steps to navigate to a network share where I keep movies. If VMP75 is similarly crappy, I guess there is no choice for me but to pony up for Dune.

If you set up your network shares correctly and scroll over to the SAMBA shares icon you will see all your devics names and SAMBA servers names. Click on the device/server name and you should see all your media files... about one click..
post #65 of 390 Old 07-09-2010, 04:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgvZ4roadster View Post

If you set up your network shares correctly and scroll over to the SAMBA shares icon you will see all your devics names and SAMBA servers names. Click on the device/server name and you should see all your media files... about one click..

So all configured shares are on one list, or you have to navigate to server first? For example on WD Live you have to do:

Videos
Network Shares
Server (several clicks if you have more than one server on the network)

With scrolling the stuff it could be as many as 7-10 clicks before you get to the root directory with movies. Nuts!
post #66 of 390 Old 07-09-2010, 07:57 PM

Quote:

So all configured shares are on one list, or you have to navigate to server first? For example on WD Live you have to do:

Videos
Network Shares
Server (several clicks if you have more than one server on the network)

With scrolling the stuff it could be as many as 7-10 clicks before you get to the root directory with movies. Nuts!

For the VMP75 and Nixeus Fusion HD all are in one list... I'll try to get you a screen shot if I can or figure it out on TV... or I'll take a picture with my cell phone and post it on this this forum once I figure how to do it...
post #67 of 390 Old 07-09-2010, 08:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJKuta View Post

Missed that earlier. Thanks! Canceled my preorder...
post #68 of 390 Old 07-10-2010, 12:30 AM

Quote:

Youtube looks great but everything HTTP does take LONG to load

you too? I thought I got a defective VMP75 when I was experiencing that... the VMP75 is connected via CAT6 to my Netgear WNDR3700 but my NAS and PCs are wireless... I noticed that it freezes or lags when I scroll through my media files - like it was trying to buffer the preview when I try to scroll through each file to get to the one I want to watch. It would freeze till the preview shows up before I could move to the next file... I got frustrated so I switched it to a list instead of thumbnail...
post #69 of 390 Old 07-10-2010, 03:30 AM

Quote:

you too? I thought I got a defective VMP75 when I was experiencing that... the VMP75 is connected via CAT6 to my Netgear WNDR3700 but my NAS and PCs are wireless... I noticed that it freezes or lags when I scroll through my media files - like it was trying to buffer the preview when I try to scroll through each file to get to the one I want to watch. It would freeze till the preview shows up before I could move to the next file... I got frustrated so I switched it to a list instead of thumbnail...

try the new firmware, it's a less worse but still crashes when ur jumping around stuff
too fast. for mine the screen goes black. turning it off and back on works fine

i am hoping (like everyone that purchases a buggy product) there will b a firmware fix

in the meantime i'll do list view as well & sort out what the VMP75 DOESN'T like ?
post #70 of 390 Old 07-10-2010, 03:45 AM

Quote:

Missed that earlier. Thanks! Canceled my preorder...

just so others dont get scared
the unit plays big HD files just fine
, NAS, USB, online, youtube great!
I've NEVER had it error WHILE streaming

but if u hit a bunch of navigation buttons while it's in the middle of doing something
loading, etc. u can crash it

under the D-Pad there are 4 button shortcuts
Video, Music, Picture, iMedia which bring you to different places/views
switching these shortcuts too fast it doesn't like

i'll try to find what else it doesn't like
post #71 of 390 Old 07-10-2010, 06:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Quote:

just so others dont get scared
the unit plays big HD files just fine
, NAS, USB, online, youtube great!
I've NEVER had it error WHILE streaming

but if u hit a bunch of navigation buttons while it's in the middle of doing something
loading, etc. u can crash it

under the D-Pad there are 4 button shortcuts
Video, Music, Picture, iMedia which bring you to different places/views
switching these shortcuts too fast it doesn't like

i'll try to find what else it doesn't like

I must be misunderstanding; why would you be hitting a bunch of navigation buttons while the thing is in the middle of loading something? So...you pick a file to play, and while it's loading you decide "oh wait...I really wanted to do this bunch of other things instead"? I would think that would crash about any device.

And someone canceled their pre-order over that?

CD

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
post #72 of 390 Old 07-10-2010, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

A wireless NAS for media?! That's kinda silly... You're essentially dooming every client to the whims of wireless transfer.

I'd be doing everything possible to remedy that problem first...
post #73 of 390 Old 07-10-2010, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse View Post

A wireless NAS for media?! That's kinda silly... You're essentially dooming every client to the whims of wireless transfer.

Thanks for the info... I agree with you - but the Nixeus Fusion HD media player I got yesterday came with a USB wireless N dongle - so I installed an internal 2TB HDD and hooked up an external 1 TB USB HDD (and I still have an external eSATA port available). I'm using the Nixeus as a media player for my room and as a NAS for the whole house. ... so far I've been wireless streaming 1080P files in the 3GB to the 8GB size with little or no hiccups for a 2 hour movie...(high bit-rate files not so smooth during wireless streaming - but its flawless when hardwired)

I normally hard wire almost everything except my laptops, but I've been playing around with my Wireless N network because finally all of my devices are WiFi N. When I hardwired my laptop and Nixeus Fusion (NAS mode) the VMP75 was freezing a little over the media icon until the preview shows up before I could move on to the next file - it got worst when I switched to wireless... so that is why I switched that part of the GUI into list mode...

FYI - the Netgear WNDR3700 is awesome!
post #74 of 390 Old 07-10-2010, 06:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post

I must be misunderstanding; why would you be hitting a bunch of navigation buttons while the thing is in the middle of loading something? So...you pick a file to play, and while it's loading you decide "oh wait...I really wanted to do this bunch of other things instead"? I would think that would crash about any device.

CD

Yes, OVER that. I have low tolerance for crappy buggy products, particularity that I want the device to be wife and kids friendly.
post #75 of 390 Old 07-10-2010, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post

CD

It is actually a big deal... I think he implied when he is scrolling through media files over the network/server/NAS. When you access your network shared folder and scroll through the media files in thumbnail view mode - it freezes and attempts to load a preview for each file and if you try to navigate past it before it finish loading it crashes the media player or freezes. I was experiencing that until I changed the file view mode from thumbnail to "list view"....
post #76 of 390 Old 07-11-2010, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse View Post

my whole house is wireless
each client has a wireless WDS node. i have 6 routers connected in 5GHZ

it's not great but is good for 20-50Mbps
post #77 of 390 Old 07-11-2010, 12:23 AM

Quote:

...wife and kids friendly.

that's what im testing =)
post #78 of 390 Old 07-11-2010, 12:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi, would you mind posting a few pics of the user innerface? I saw the pics earlier you posted in this thread- but I am/was looking more for the actual "home screen" and the icons like 'settings' "media' etc. Overall, are you happy with your purchase?

Another thing very important to me.... does the Viewsonic display album art if you are listening to a particular band? For example; Metallica> Master of Puppets; will the album art be displayed while listening to it?

Thank you
post #79 of 390 Old 07-12-2010, 09:27 AM

My pre-order from Amazon is shipping today. Their website still indicates the VMP75 is not released yet and that you can pre-order, so I don't know if they've just not updated it yet or just don't have enough stock to actually change it to "In Stock" as they fulfill preorders. Just an FYI for those considering getting it from Amazon.
post #80 of 390 Old 07-12-2010, 05:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I looked at the user manual and really didn't see exactly what I was looking for. In terms of music playlists what options does the VS75 provide? I like to watch slide shows of my pictures to a certain set of songs. I don't want the hassle of copying said songs to a flash drive... I want to be able to basically have a folder "playlist" then open pictures and watch the show. Hopefully this makes sense

Thxs
post #81 of 390 Old 07-12-2010, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitsuHelp View Post

Sigma SMP8655...

http://www.sigmadesigns.com/news.php

so which is it? There is a big difference in the two....I'm hoping it's the 8655!

No Flash and it has a web interface.....I've been watching this especially due to the $$$

Iboum is correct! I did some intensive research and found out some interesting information.

The Viewsonic VMP75 uses Sigma Designs 8654 which supports Macrovision - a requirement by Netflix in order to use their services.

The Viewsonic VMP74 was released in the European market uses the Sigma Designs 8655 which does not have Macrovision and DOES NOT have the Netflix service/feature.

Which may also explain why the Western Digital TV Live (uses a Sigma Designs 8655)does not have Netflix or may never get it in any future firmware updates because that chipset does not support Macrovision.

The WDTV Live Plus uses the Sigma Designs 8654 and that may be why it has Netflix...

Some info regarding Macrovision for people who do not know what it is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rovi_Corporation
post #82 of 390 Old 07-12-2010, 10:20 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by met64 View Post

Hi, would you mind posting a few pics of the user innerface? I saw the pics earlier you posted in this thread- but I am/was looking more for the actual "home screen" and the icons like 'settings' "media' etc. Overall, are you happy with your purchase?

Another thing very important to me.... does the Viewsonic display album art if you are listening to a particular band? For example; Metallica> Master of Puppets; will the album art be displayed while listening to it?

Thank you

I wonder the same thing, how good the user interfaces are. Can we configure the unit to collect libraries from all the folders and put them in "home", or we still need to browse the data one folder at a time?
post #83 of 390 Old 07-12-2010, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpleHT View Post

I wonder the same thing, how good the user interfaces are. Can we configure the unit to collect libraries from all the folders and put them in "home", or we still need to browse the data one folder at a time?

I haven't been able to find out how to do that with the VMP75 (just got it last week and still playing with it)... from my PC I just put all my media files into one desktop shared folder for it to access via SAMBA server or from one shared folder (with all media data files) that is in the SHARED internal Hard Drive in my Nixeus Fusion HD functioning as a NAS...

Will let you know once I figure this out...
post #84 of 390 Old 07-13-2010, 07:50 AM

Quote:

I haven't been able to find out how to do that with the VMP75 (just got it last week and still playing with it)... from my PC I just put all my media files into one desktop shared folder for it to access via SAMBA server or from one shared folder (with all media data files) that is in the SHARED internal Hard Drive in my Nixeus Fusion HD functioning as a NAS...

Will let you know once I figure this out...

Thanks. Please let us know. Modern players should be able to do this. Otherwise, I will stick with my HTPC.
post #85 of 390 Old 07-13-2010, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpleHT View Post

Thanks. Please let us know. Modern players should be able to do this. Otherwise, I will stick with my HTPC.

After playing the VMP75 all night yesterday - unfortunately it can't do what you are looking for... it is a nice featuer to have...
post #86 of 390 Old 07-13-2010, 07:58 PM

Quote:

After playing the VMP75 all night yesterday - unfortunately it can't do what you are looking for... it is a nice featuer to have...

Bummer .... Thanks for the update though.
post #87 of 390 Old 07-14-2010, 11:13 PM

Anyone know how the subtitle support is on this? I have a WDTV Live and WDTV Live Plus but they don't support multiple subtitle streams or positioning which drives me nuts. For instance when dialogue and signage are being subtitled at the same time. WD models will only display one of the lines, not both, and only at the bottom of the screen, not where the sign actually is. If it does do these things right with subtitles, I'd ditch my WDs in a heartbeat. I just need to know beforehand.
post #88 of 390 Old 07-14-2010, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogib View Post

Anyone know how the subtitle support is on this? I have a WDTV Live and WDTV Live Plus but they don't support multiple subtitle streams or positioning which drives me nuts. For instance when dialogue and signage are being subtitled at the same time. WD models will only display one of the lines, not both, and only at the bottom of the screen, not where the sign actually is. If it does do these things right with subtitles, I'd ditch my WDs in a heartbeat. I just need to know beforehand.

For subtitles:
It does color, font size, position, and delay... not too sure about the signage thing though.
post #89 of 390 Old 07-15-2010, 01:16 AM
AVS Special Member

If anybody is interested in seeing what formats this box can and cannot handle, you can download a battery of test files from here. I'm sure we'd all be interested in the results.
post #90 of 390 Old 07-15-2010, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by candre23 View Post

If anybody is interested in seeing what formats this box can and cannot handle, you can download a battery of test files from here. I'm sure we'd all be interested in the results.

Thank you for that link, very useful!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page