Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 390 Old 07-15-2010, 10:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgvZ4roadster View Post

It is actually a big deal... I think he implied when he is scrolling through media files over the network/server/NAS. When you access your network shared folder and scroll through the media files in thumbnail view mode - it freezes and attempts to load a preview for each file and if you try to navigate past it before it finish loading it crashes the media player or freezes. I was experiencing that until I changed the file view mode from thumbnail to "list view"....

Can someone post a screen shot of the list view? I was very disappointed with the O!play after using TVIX products for the last few years.. I'd just like to see the file names rather than icons/etc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 390 Old 07-16-2010, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajalger View Post

Can someone post a screen shot of the list view? I was very disappointed with the O!play after using TVIX products for the last few years.. I'd just like to see the file names rather than icons/etc

I will try soon... I'm purchasing a new USB video image camera this weekend...
post #93 of 390 Old 07-16-2010, 06:30 PM

I get that message in every folder where I currently have media files. Can't play anything on my networked iMac of Macbook, running Majestic DLNA server.

I am sure I am doing something obviously wrong, but I have no idea.

Am used to Popcorn Hour and this is getting me all turned around.

Thanks!

A noble spirit embiggens even the smallest man. -- Jebediah Springfield
post #94 of 390 Old 07-17-2010, 01:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Can a current owner of the VS75 please tell me how music playlist are managed. The manual (at least what I saw makes no mention). Ultimately, I like to set slide shows to music and said music will be in a playlist. I have looked @other streamers where a flash drive was/is required to listen to your play-list. This is a pain. Thxs in advance!!
post #95 of 390 Old 07-18-2010, 07:29 AM

Another request...can one of you who own the VMP75 please give a review of the netflix operation of the device, comparing it to netflix operation on the 360 or wii?

Thank you,

....netbozo
post #96 of 390 Old 07-18-2010, 07:46 AM
Advanced Member

Reviews are starting to come in for this device now..... At least on newegg- NOT real favorable.
post #97 of 390 Old 07-20-2010, 08:52 AM

Just two reviews, neither of which seem to be completely accurate.

You certainly can view items in a list. I am not sure about the Windows 7 problems, as I am on Macs, but I have had no problems using EyeConnect as the media server. Have not noticed any overheating and I don't really care about the animations on the home page.

It took a while to tweak everything the way I wanted it, but I think this is very passable.

A noble spirit embiggens even the smallest man. -- Jebediah Springfield
post #98 of 390 Old 07-20-2010, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ico-Jones View Post

I would tend to agree. I received mine yesterday and tried out most of the functionality and everything seemed to work well. The animations appeared clear except for when I was fiddling with the aspect ratio settings (h-fit vs. 16x9) on my projector and they turned squirrely, but that was not the setting I use anyway and changed it back. I played several mp3s and then played the entire length of Star Trek as an .mkv and the box was barely luke warm, not hot at all. I use a Synology NAS, and with the UPnP/DLNA enabled it had no problem locating the media and properly displaying the folder structure.

I feel a bit embarrased that I am not able to offer a more technical review like HD audio or BD iso chapter handling as I have seen others do here, but from my "average user" perspective it has so far done everything I have needed.

Finally, all of us should be glad it's not a popbox!
post #99 of 390 Old 07-20-2010, 02:26 PM

Can a current owner please check if VMP75 has the same problems as WD TV Live has when playing regular DVD-rips (cell transitioning ?)
For example in "When Harry met Sally" around minute 26:00, the scene at the stadium, Billy Crystal and Bruno Kirby are talking to each other, the plan is changing from front to side view. On WD TV Live the video stops with the black screen for about 5 seconds while audio keeps running. There are other places in that movie when similar thing happens, but the one I mentioned was most noticeable.
post #100 of 390 Old 07-20-2010, 04:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ico-Jones View Post

You certainly can view items in a list. I am not sure about the Windows 7 problems, as I am on Macs, but I have had no problems using EyeConnect as the media server. Have not noticed any overheating and I don't really care about the animations on the home page.

It took a while to tweak everything the way I wanted it, but I think this is very passable.

^^^ So, overall R U satisfied with the VMP75? I will say one thing: When I have called or chated with VS Tech Support- they are VERY GOOD! Crazy fast response to emails.
post #101 of 390 Old 07-20-2010, 05:49 PM

Any current owners willing to take a picture of the menu/interface?
post #102 of 390 Old 07-22-2010, 03:36 AM

We have tons of pictures of the interface and everything have Followed the VMP74 And indeed the VMP 75 for Sometime and we have a Review after sometime waiting for the best firmware for the BBC iplayer and indeed there is a new sdk being tested as we speak for the VMP 74/75 its buggy and final is a month or so away yet,but as for the State of the player its got a growing following here please check our coverage which goes back to when we exclusively revealed the player.

Talas

http://www.mediaplayerworld.com/index.php?board=71.0

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #103 of 390 Old 07-22-2010, 05:29 AM
Advanced Member

Just a warning To American (or users out of the UK) The BBC Iplayer feature is very unlikley to work anywhere out of the UK , as the BBC block this for legal reasons.

Regards

Teddy

MG-35 & MG-45 Yahoo
Support Group:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #104 of 390 Old 07-22-2010, 11:21 AM

To all of us, waiting for the information on VMP75/VMP74, it looks like Nixeus Fusion HD is it's closest relative. The remote is identical and I suspect that hardware is close enough (more to VMP74, as it uses Sigma 8655). The GUI looks exactly the same, except Nixeus doesn't have Netflix like VMP75 or BBC Player like VMP74. So, we can at least read the thread about Nexius and assume that VMP75 would behave similar.

What still puzzles me is the fact that Nexius Fusion HD is $220, while VMP75 is $130 (Yes, I know Nixeus has wireless and a room for internal HDD, but still...)
post #105 of 390 Old 07-22-2010, 11:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoary View Post

To all of us, waiting for the information on VMP75/VMP74, it looks like Nixeus Fusion HD is it's closest relative. The remote is identical and I suspect that hardware is close enough (more to VMP74, as it uses Sigma 8655). The GUI looks exactly the same, except Nixeus doesn't have Netflix like VMP75 or BBC Player like VMP74. So, we can at least read the thread about Nexius and assume that VMP75 would behave similar.

What still puzzles me is the fact that Nexius Fusion HD is $220, while VMP75 is $130

I am prety sure they are all from the same stable so to speak.

From what I know/have researched the VMP75 is a cutdown version of the Nixeus ,as far as I can tell from the specs the VPM75 does not have (please coreect me if I am wrong here):

The ability to accecpt a 3.5" SATA internal hard disk.
USB Slave because of the above.
Two year Warranty.
Wifi Dongle is suppled
A Bit Torrent feature
DTS MA Downmix.
Facebook access.
Twitter Access.

Media players that have a internal hard disk Together with Wifi have always been in the $200 range.

Regards

Teddy

MG-35 & MG-45 Yahoo
Support Group:

post #106 of 390 Old 07-22-2010, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddystacker View Post

The ability to accecpt a 3.5" SATA internal hard disk.
USB Slave because of the above.
Two year Warranty.
Wifi Dongle is suppled
A Bit Torrent feature
DTS MA Downmix.
Facebook access.
Twitter Access.

Regards

Teddy

Thank you for your answer, Teddy.

It does have a Bit Torrent client as long as you have an HDD connected to it (eSATA or USB). They do mention lack of DTS encoding, but say that it will pass it through S/PDIF to the receiver. To me personally non of that is important. My interest is in the web browser and I would like to ask you a question, but I'd better do it in the Nixeus thread.
Thanks,
Andrey
post #107 of 390 Old 07-22-2010, 12:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thank you for your answer, Teddy.

It does have a Bit Torrent client as long as you have an HDD connected to it (eSATA or USB). They do mention lack of DTS encoding, but say that it will pass it through S/PDIF to the receiver. To me personally non of that is important. My interest is in the web browser and I would like to ask you a question, but I'd better do it in the Nixeus thread.
Thanks,
Andrey

Yes I totally agree , Different users see different worthwhile feature in players , with myself a internal hard disk is vital , but bit Torrent is not.

Yes , please feel free to ask your question over at the Nixeus thread ,and I will do my best to asner it.

Regards

Teddy

MG-35 & MG-45 Yahoo
Support Group:

post #108 of 390 Old 07-22-2010, 01:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

What still puzzles me is the fact that Nexius Fusion HD is $220, while VMP75 is $130 (Yes, I know Nixeus has wireless and a room for internal HDD, but still...)

^^^ Not so sure- A feature that I know Fusion HD has is displaying album art, conversely the VMP75 according to VS Tech Support does not. Maybe a VMP75 owner can chime in here.
post #109 of 390 Old 07-22-2010, 06:26 PM

I received my vmp75 a few days ago, but so far it is unable to access the share-drives on my ReadyNAS NV. It sees the ReadyNAS on the list of computers detected on the network. When you click on it, it reads the list of shared drives on the NAS. If you try to click one of the share drives, it asks for username and password. The drives are not password protected, and the vmp75 will not accept empty fields. My other media players and computers read it fine without passwords. I've contacted Techsupport, and they said they'd call me back, but they never did.

Any other owners run into this yet?
post #110 of 390 Old 07-22-2010, 06:43 PM

Quote:

I agree with you, I owned both and the GUI Looks the same... But about behaving the same is a very different expereince. I experienced the same issues with the VMP75 as this other user: See below quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJKuta View Post

som updates
updated the firmware

Shipped with 01.13.03.21
updated to v01.13.05.21
so the file on the website VMP75_v01.13.05.21.35.zip is NEW

it still crashes when u push different media buttons too fast
or when it's trying to stream u have to be patient or it crashes
Youtube looks great but everything HTTP does take LONG to load

SHoutcast doesn't work for most of the stations,
i think i figured out why: Live365 shows some as
requiring a login account, Shoutcast does not.
It just briefly tries to load & then freezes ,
U have to push the back button to un-freeze.
Shoutcast worked w/ the stations Live365 played

The Viewsonic VMP75 also freezes if you set the media files on its menu to icon mode - it seems as you scroll through files on SAMBA/UpnP Servers (My PC and Nixeus) to get to the one you want to play it freezes until the preview mode comes up in the icon of EACH file you're trying to scroll past- if you don't wait until the preview shows up sometimes the unit locks up and you may have to turn it off and turn it back on. I fixed this by changing it from icon view to LIST VIEW... Also when it is streaming or buffering you have to be patient because it may lock up if you try to stop it or exit out... and I still expereinced the other issues listed above by the other user even with the new firmware update.

I didn't experience all these freezing issues with the Nixeus Fusion HD. It also doesn't crash when you push any media buttons too fast (Better beta testers?). In icon view they have no preview feature (Maybe they removed it?) Some of the ShoutCast stations and FusionTV don't work (Maybe they will implement more later?) But I didn't experience the slow HTTP loading features on both (Maybe I have better internet connection?).

Anyhow, my parents are the main users of the VMP75 and I am the main user of the Nixeus (because I download and transfer all the media files to the internal HDD I installed for the Nixeus for them to stream to their VMP75). Both GUI are easy enough for my non-techy parents to use (I set the VMP75 for Chinese for them, too). But they are fed up with all the freezing and buggy issues (I can deal with it, but they can't)... so they're asking me to return it and eat the 15% restocking fee before my 30 days are up... ... I may try again later when Viewsonic releases a firmware that will stabilize everything (Or Popbox). Until then I will have to keep moving the Nixeus back and forth from my room to their room...
post #111 of 390 Old 07-22-2010, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steedtriple View Post

I received my vmp75 a few days ago, but so far it is unable to access the share-drives on my ReadyNAS NV. It sees the ReadyNAS on the list of computers detected on the network. When you click on it, it reads the list of shared drives on the NAS. If you try to click one of the share drives, it asks for username and password. The drives are not password protected, and the vmp75 will not accept empty fields. My other media players and computers read it fine without passwords. I've contacted Techsupport, and they said they'd call me back, but they never did.

Any other owners run into this yet?

Trying entering admin for user name and admin for password...
post #112 of 390 Old 07-22-2010, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Just went to buy one of these on Amazon...being as the PopBox hasn't been a smash, out of the box (an understatement...lol)...and it has the composite out I'd like for one of my locations. Well...the price has gone up $20!

Is it doing that well?

EDIT- Oops, I guess it was $130 at NewEgg.

CD

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
post #113 of 390 Old 07-22-2010, 09:42 PM
AVS Special Member

CD: Amazon has it for $130....$150 is J&R's price on Amazon...see below right on the same page for Amazon's own price...let us know what you think about it when you get it.
post #114 of 390 Old 07-22-2010, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post

Just went to buy one of these on Amazon...being as the PopBox hasn't been a smash, out of the box (an understatement...lol)...and it has the composite out I'd like for one of my locations. Well...the price has gone up $20!

Is it doing that well?

EDIT- Oops, I guess it was $130 at NewEgg.

CD

The higher price on Amazon is not from Amazon, but from J&R Music and Computer World. Amazon still has $129.99 (look on the right side of the page), but they say it's not in stock.

Regarding all issues with VMP75, it does sounds, like Teddy suggested, that it's a cut down version of the Nixeus, most likely VMP75 has less memory (there is nothing else to cut, really). Half of the memory? Or maybe it's just cut down future-wise.
The firmware file names look alike for both. Maybe Nixeus firmware could be flashed into VMP74 (as it has exactly the same processor). I wonder who writes the firmware for the VMP75? Same people from Nixeus or some kind of third party who does it for Nixeus and Viewsonic?
post #115 of 390 Old 07-22-2010, 10:24 PM

Quote:

Trying entering admin for user name and admin for password...

Yeah, I tried that. Tried 'guest' also.
post #116 of 390 Old 07-23-2010, 02:04 AM

Quote:

Regarding all issues with VMP75, it does sounds, like Teddy suggested, that it's a cut down version of the Nixeus, most likely VMP75 has less memory (there is nothing else to cut, really). Half of the memory? Or maybe it's just cut down future-wise.
The firmware file names look alike for both. Maybe Nixeus firmware could be flashed into VMP74 (as it has exactly the same processor). I wonder who writes the firmware for the VMP75? Same people from Nixeus or some kind of third party who does it for Nixeus and Viewsonic?

I tried both... Tried to install Viewsonic VMP75's new firmware into the Nixeus Fusion HD via USB to try to get NetFlix for the Nixeus. It sees the firmware and tries to install it but unable to complete it and say's invalid firmware. Tried installing Nixeus's new firmware onto the Viewsonic VMP75 to try to stabilize the VMP75's buggy or freezing issues and was unable to do it either.
post #117 of 390 Old 07-23-2010, 02:10 AM

Quote:

Yeah, I tried that. Tried 'guest' also.

Where are you trying to access media files from? your laptop or PC? If it is, it would be the same User Name and Password you use to login as that particular user when the OS (Vista or Windows 7) starts up when you turn them on.
post #118 of 390 Old 07-23-2010, 12:57 PM

Quote:

Where are you trying to access media files from? your laptop or PC? If it is, it would be the same User Name and Password you use to login as that particular user when the OS (Vista or Windows 7) starts up when you turn them on.

A NAS is a network storage drive, rather than a laptop or pc (though it does run a limited linux os to manage the RAID array). It is connected directly to the router rather than through another computer.
post #119 of 390 Old 07-23-2010, 01:16 PM

Quote:

A NAS is a network storage drive, rather than a laptop or pc (though it does run a limited linux os to manage the RAID array). It is connected directly to the router rather than through another computer.

I would suggest to try to create a user (with the password) in your ReadyNAS, give that user a read-only access to shares and try to access them from the VMP75 using that user. It's quite possible that VMP75 has a "buggy" samba client implementation which doesn't understand the empty credentials.
post #120 of 390 Old 07-23-2010, 03:44 PM

It looks like you can attach an external DVD player to it, hmm interesting.

Quote:

I took a chance and bought an external DVD/DVD-R player that only uses USB power to hopefully hook up to the device to play many things I have archived on DVD-R disks. It instantly recognized as a CD Drive and am currently watching my divx rips of C.S.I. that I made from my DVD's of the sets I bought. Works PERFECTLY. Super fast, and even better quality than my old XBOX that was modded to use XBMC. No Power to hook up to the player! I can't explain how excited I am. I bought the TOP Loading LITE-ON ETAU208-96.

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page