Viewsonic NexTV VMP75 (has Netflix & Web Browser) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 390 Old 06-16-2010, 03:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Mallu2u mentioned this device in the Popbox thread so I decided to take a look around the web for it. It looks comparable to the WDTV Live Plus but the one thing it has that the others don't seem to have is a built-in web browser. Here's the link: http://www.viewsonic.com/products/vmp75.htm

The only negative is that the web browser doesn't seem to support flash. Looks pretty interesting though and the remote is a bit bigger than the usual smaller ones you see out there now, it reminds me of the Popcorn Hour remotes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 390 Old 06-16-2010, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdb4133 View Post

Mallu2u mentioned this device in the Popbox thread so I decided to take a look around the web for it. It looks comparable to the WDTV Live Plus but the one thing it has that the others don't seem to have is a built-in web browser. Here's the link: http://www.viewsonic.com/products/vmp75.htm

The only negative is that the web browser doesn't seem to support flash. Looks pretty interesting though and the remote is a bit bigger than the usual smaller ones you see out there now, it reminds me of the Popcorn Hour remotes.

I was initially pretty excited about this box, as a possible alternative for the delayed PopBox. However, it is reported to have the older, slower, last-gen Sigma processor, no lossless audio support...and no release date as of yet, so...it doesn't really get an edge over that player yet.

CD

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
post #3 of 390 Old 06-16-2010, 11:49 AM

Liked: 10
Release date is showing as 6/30 on Newegg...Might pick one of these up if/when the optional Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n becomes available to purchase as a combo. The odd thing is that both Newegg and Amazon mention the optional adapter, yet neither offer it for sale. Love the HDMI cable in the box as well.

One thing I'd like to add is that while their press materials mention an ethernet port, there is no clarity regarding gigabit connectivity. If anyone has any insight here, I'd love to read your thoughts.
post #4 of 390 Old 06-16-2010, 12:30 PM

I wonder if it has flash lite. Then it would be perfect to use for some web browsing.
post #5 of 390 Old 06-16-2010, 04:29 PM

anyone know what chip it's running?
post #6 of 390 Old 06-16-2010, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by icyfire22 View Post

Sigma SMP8655...

http://www.sigmadesigns.com/news.php

Keith Jack
Sigma Designs
BD, IPTV, HDTV decoder supplier
Blog: http://www.keithjack.net
post #7 of 390 Old 06-17-2010, 12:46 AM

The manual for the VMP75 is actually available on viewsonics website (http://www.viewsonic.com/assets/074/16403.pdf) and reveals a few interesting features (many of which exist on other hardware, but not necessarily on the most reasonable competition based on Netflix streaming, the WDTV Live+ and Seagate FreeAgent Theater+).

1. BT downloading support.
2. Recording streaming video to HD (I'm not sure how useful this would be, but interesting none the less).
3. Using the remote to jump to a certain percentage point in a video (no more FF'ing through 45 minutes if you accidentally "Cancel Resume" on a movie).
4. Info button provides more file details (lacking in WDTVs)
5. The user interface isn't gorgeous, but it looks like the interface combined with the remote makes for easier navigation - for example, you can use media hot keys to jump between Video and iMedia, and stay within the directories of each section when you switch.
6. Official support for USB keyboard\\mouse (the WDTV Live Plus works with a keyboard and mouse, but it's hit and miss - I've gotten mine to work two out of five times I tried to use it). Good for the built in web browser I suppose.

Some of the buttons are listed as "Reserved" and the manual notes functions will be added later through firmware (namely the use of the "Help" button on the remote). While the "Help" function isn't really important, hopefully they are reliable when it comes to providing quality firmware upgrades.

I'm still undecided between this and my recently purchased WDTV Live Plus (as made obvious by my thorough examination of the manual). Some of those functions (and a lot more) would be added to the WDTV Live Plus with release of b-rad's firmware, but I love the fully functional remote (I always hated the WDTV remote - I like having a button for turning on subtitles\\changing audio language\\etc).
post #8 of 390 Old 06-17-2010, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icyfire22 View Post

8654ad.

edit: Capital A and capital D. Why does this forum convert capitals into lower case?
post #9 of 390 Old 06-17-2010, 07:30 AM

I was holding out for the PopBox, but with this product, now I am really not sure which one to go for.
post #10 of 390 Old 06-17-2010, 07:35 AM

The 667MHz 8643 based PopBox will still have performance advantage over the 500Mhz 8655, especially for BD ISO playback.

Still... anybody knows what price will the Viewsonic VMP75 be ?
post #11 of 390 Old 06-17-2010, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petestop View Post

The 667MHz 8643 based PopBox will still have performance advantage over the 500Mhz 8655, especially for BD ISO playback.

Still... anybody knows what price will the Viewsonic VMP75 be ?

$130 w/o wireless, it is available for pre-order at Amazon.
post #12 of 390 Old 06-17-2010, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iboum View Post

8654ad.

edit: Capital A and capital D. Why does this forum convert capitals into lower case?

Sigma SMP8655...

so which is it? There is a big difference in the two....I'm hoping it's the 8655!

No Flash and it has a web interface.....I've been watching this especially due to the $$$
post #13 of 390 Old 06-17-2010, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Keith from Sigma has already posted above that it's the 8655. But, web w/o Flash is pretty useless these days w/so much content using Flash.

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
post #14 of 390 Old 06-17-2010, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh View Post

Keith from Sigma has already posted above that it's the 8655. But, web w/o Flash is pretty useless these days w/so much content using Flash.

I would think this no-Flash thing is licensing related...? I would assume the hardware could handle the additional requirements of running flash content right?
post #15 of 390 Old 06-17-2010, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Yes, doesn't Netflix (which this player has) use Flash lite?

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
post #16 of 390 Old 06-17-2010, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitsuHelp View Post

Sigma SMP8655...

so which is it? There is a big difference in the two....I'm hoping it's the 8655!

Both are the identical, except SMP8654 supports Macrovision...

Keith Jack
Sigma Designs
BD, IPTV, HDTV decoder supplier
Blog: http://www.keithjack.net
post #17 of 390 Old 06-22-2010, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm really looking forward to some reviews on this player. If its good, I might reconsider my Popbox pre-order. Nothing new on that front, esp with regards to Netflix, which really want. Otherwise its going to be WD Plus for me. Interface does look nice too.
post #18 of 390 Old 06-23-2010, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallu2u View Post

I'm really looking forward to some reviews on this player. If its good, I might reconsider my Popbox pre-order. Nothing new on that front, esp with regards to Netflix, which really want. Otherwise its going to be WD Plus for me. Interface does look nice too.

I switched to the ViewSonic.

Does anyone have info on how DRM works with this, or other similar products? I would be more interested in a product with less DRM integration.
post #19 of 390 Old 06-30-2010, 04:51 AM - Thread Starter

I'm seriously looking at this one now since the PopBox is being delayed and seems that it will not be supporting Netflix now or anytime in the near future. I see NewEgg shows it as in stock, but Amazon and other sellers still say it's unavailable.

I'm looking forward to a review on this!
post #20 of 390 Old 06-30-2010, 06:15 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Yes, I'm on the fence and waiting for reviews.
post #21 of 390 Old 06-30-2010, 11:05 AM

Has anyone seen the optional wireless adapter for sale anywhere? Pretty much the last piece to fall into place before I pull the trigger.
post #22 of 390 Old 07-01-2010, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneway23 View Post

Release date is showing as 6/30 on Newegg...Might pick one of these up if/when the optional Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n becomes available to purchase as a combo. The odd thing is that both Newegg and Amazon mention the optional adapter, yet neither offer it for sale. Love the HDMI cable in the box as well.

One thing I'd like to add is that while their press materials mention an ethernet port, there is no clarity regarding gigabit connectivity. If anyone has any insight here, I'd love to read your thoughts.

The Viewsonic VMP75 has a Sigma Designs 8655 processor - which does not support Gigaport.
post #23 of 390 Old 07-01-2010, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneway23 View Post

Has anyone seen the optional wireless adapter for sale anywhere? Pretty much the last piece to fall into place before I pull the trigger.

I have quite a few Wireless N adapters at home (I bought a bunch to try to get the best through puts for my wireless network - and didn't return them due to shipping and restocking fees it wasn't worth it), once I get the Viewsonic VMP75 I'm going to try them all to see if they work...I'll keep you guys posted if I get lucky... =D
post #24 of 390 Old 07-01-2010, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter

There is a video with a ViewSonic rep on Buy.com, doesn't really offer much more than we already know but at least it's nice to see something new: http://www.buy.com/videoclip/viewson...yer/78640.html

It should be releasing in the next couple days or so right?
post #25 of 390 Old 07-01-2010, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter

I decided to take the plunge and order it from Amazon. Hopefully it should be shipping soon!
post #26 of 390 Old 07-01-2010, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 296
I'd seriously look at this as an alternative to the Poop, but last I heard no lossless audio. That's a deal-breaker for me. Of course, it's now pretty much confirmed the Poop won't have it at release either, but at least we know it'll come...eventually.

Can anyone confirm or deny lossless audio on the View?

CD

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
post #27 of 390 Old 07-02-2010, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post

I'd seriously look at this as an alternative to the Poop, but last I heard no lossless audio. That's a deal-breaker for me. Of course, it's now pretty much confirmed the Poop won't have it at release either, but at least we know it'll come...eventually.

Can anyone confirm or deny lossless audio on the View?

CD

Since the Viewsonic VMP75 uses a Sigma Designs 8655 Chipset it does support loseless audio - except for WMA files.
post #28 of 390 Old 07-02-2010, 11:18 AM

sgvZ4roadster, thanks for the great insight thus far, and yes, I eagerly await your wireless-n testing.

Lack of lossless audio is kinda disheartening in terms of future-proofing (largely impossible anyhow), or at least dong one's best to minimize obsolescence , yet at the same time, I do not own a 7.1 capable system. The minimal exposure I have had to HD soundtracks has been cool enough, yet not necessarily mind-bending enough to warrant an overhaul of my entire set-up.

That being said, perhaps I have not watched the "right" movie, I dunno. Speak to me, people!
post #29 of 390 Old 07-02-2010, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh View Post

Yes, doesn't Netflix (which this player has) use Flash lite?

Based off what I know and researched, if Netflix has a deal with Viewsonic they must be using a Netflix API that allows it to play flash to stream their movies.
post #30 of 390 Old 07-02-2010, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgvZ4roadster View Post

Based off what I know and researched, if Netflix has a deal with Viewsonic they must be using a Netflix API that allows it to play flash to stream their movies.

Interesting. So is this different (do you know?) from the way Netflix is implemented in the WDTV+ or the Roku?
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page