Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 3881 Old 07-16-2010, 10:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post

Watch, was that over wired/wireless or local storage? What kind of rip was it? Was it transcoded or ripped straight from BD?

That was me!. i'm going to hit the reset button on the back and see whats up. Be back in a sec. It did download firmware automaticly once it booted. Asked for my email and thats all I dd. It indexed a file share I added but it had LOTS of junk downloads and started adding "Games" incorrectly flagged as movies, But it was games based on movies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 3881 Old 07-16-2010, 10:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

How can you include BD rips and BoxeeBox/GoogleTV in the same breathe

We don't know whether Boxee will in fact have a bandwidth cap on it or not. We know even less about what the Google TV box, as created by Logitech will be able to do.
post #93 of 3881 Old 07-16-2010, 10:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchy View Post

That was me!. i'm going to hit the reset button on the back and see whats up. Be back in a sec. It did download firmware automaticly once it booted. Asked for my email and thats all I dd. It indexed a file share I added but it had LOTS of junk downloads and started adding "Games" incorrectly flagged as movies, But it was games based on movies.

I would recommend on first boot you just link to a media folder that has minimal files instead of trying to have Popbox categorize a huge library at start

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

post #94 of 3881 Old 07-16-2010, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdb4133 View Post

By chance does the Popbox have a "hard reset" button like many routers and the WDTV have? Also doesn't it have an SD card in there, maybe if you swap another one in there and see if it's just bad possibly?

Hard reset in the front.. Did nothing. The unit is not locked up.. The firmware is corrupted. If tech support would point me in the direction of a working firmware perhaps I could recover it. I did nothing but turn the thing on. This had a corruption when it left the factory. I asked to speak to the development team about having a firmware emailed to me , they declined to send it due to secuirty reasons. I told them that I was active forum member and would post this on the forums and seemed not to worried. He said Firmware issues are all part of this type of player are to be expected. WOW..Very scary.... The manager said if he comes up with anything he would call me back..but he didn't ask for a contect number... I had to give it to him.. We will see how well this goes.
post #95 of 3881 Old 07-16-2010, 10:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:

We don't know whether Boxee will in fact have a bandwidth cap on it or not. We know even less about what the Google TV box, as created by Logitech will be able to do.

Very true, seems awfully optimistic though based on the Tegra II. The Boxee Box software running on a PC cannot even play back a Blu Ray rip (Folder/ISO). I think the best hope for Boxee Box is that the user either has all SD DVDs or for their Blu Ray rips they are encoded down, but time will tell (and sure hope I am wrong)

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

post #96 of 3881 Old 07-16-2010, 10:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackssr View Post

Hard reset in the front.. Did nothing. The unit is not locked up.. The firmware is corrupted. If tech support would point me in the direction of a working firmware perhaps I could recover it. I did nothing but turn the thing on. This had a corruption when it left the factory. I asked to speak to the development team about having a firmware emailed to me , they declined to send it due to secuirty reasons. I told them that I was active forum member and would post this on the forums and seemed not to worried. He said Firmware issues are all part of this type of player are to be expected. WOW..Very scary.... The manager said if he comes up with anything he would call me back..but he didn't ask for a contect number... I had to give it to him.. We will see how well this goes.

Ouch. It seems like the tech support is outsourced and they don't know what they are doing.

I would say maybe try posting for help in the general forum of networkedmediatank.com since they don't have the Popbox forum up yet.

They will hopefully have someone get in touch with you via PM, etc, so you can actually use your new toy this weekend.
post #97 of 3881 Old 07-16-2010, 10:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Anyone have PB support phone number: The number that came with my box is well; not a working number
post #98 of 3881 Old 07-16-2010, 10:52 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So how is the UI so far? Is it pulling down the metadata from IMDB correctly?
post #99 of 3881 Old 07-16-2010, 10:53 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

Ouch sorry to hear that blackssr, If it's any consolation it seems anyone else who has received it has had other roadblocks in the next couple steps. I have to wait until Wednesday (I ordered with Standard Shipping) to get in all the fun!

I have a feeling Amazon is going to be getting a whole bunch of returns on this for people who don't have the patience to deal with firmware issues and such.
post #100 of 3881 Old 07-16-2010, 10:54 AM

Mine was working fine till I changed to an unsupported video mode. Anyone have any guess on how to reset it? How did you do it on a PCH? I pushed the reset button on the front but nothing. I'm starting to cry. It was working fine till I changed the damn Video mode.
post #101 of 3881 Old 07-16-2010, 10:55 AM

Quote:

They declined to send it do to security reasons???? What the hell are they talking about? I'd ask for a supervisor or something. If it is too large or they don't think it will make to your email, why not post the current firmware in a support area on their website like everyone else does so you could just go and download it and put it on your usb stick? I'm getting pissed and I haven't even ordered mine yet. I just hate stupid people.
post #102 of 3881 Old 07-16-2010, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by met64 View Post

Anyone have PB support phone number: The number that came with my box is well; not a working number

1-888-976-7269.

Ask for "Johnny From Pakistan" I spoke to him 4 times today already.
post #103 of 3881 Old 07-16-2010, 10:56 AM

Quote:

Mine was working fine till I changed to an unsupported video mode. Anyone have any guess on how to reset it? How did you do it on a PCH? I pushed the reset button on the front but nothing. I'm starting to cry. It was working fine till I changed the damn Video mode.

Sometimes you have to unplug the power, hold the reset button for at least 20-30 seconds while plugging back in the power?

You could always try an ALT+CTRL+DEL or a clean reinstall of windows... oops sorry flashing back to my days of Windows Tech support... LOL
post #104 of 3881 Old 07-16-2010, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Quote:

This may be the case (Bad Firmware from the factory)... I was connected to wired lan when box was turned on and this is the first screen that came up.

Tech support is "Johnny from Pakkie" and has no clue on how to get me a new firmware at this time. "Sorry for the hassle" but the BOx was just released and we are still "coming up to speed". You may have to return to Amazon for a new model as we have had many firmware issues. OUCH!

Ouch is right. Yikes comes to mind as well!!

CD

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
post #105 of 3881 Old 07-16-2010, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamibob View Post

They declined to send it do to security reasons???? What the hell are they talking about? I'd ask for a supervisor or something. If it is too large or they don't think it will make to your email, why not post the current firmware in a support area on their website like everyone else does so you could just go and download it and put it on your usb stick? I'm getting pissed and I haven't even ordered mine yet. I just hate stupid people.

They only have Beta and do not want public to have yet. I guess they think I would post or give away... not quite sure... I spoke with Amazon and started RMA for refund.
post #106 of 3881 Old 07-16-2010, 10:57 AM

Quote:

1-888-976-7269.

Ask for "Johnny From Pakistan" I spoke to him 4 times today already.

Johnny sounds like the lone man doing "tech support" for them! He might be crying by the end of the day with all the angry calls he might be dealing with!
post #107 of 3881 Old 07-16-2010, 10:57 AM

Will attempt that. Thanks brb
post #108 of 3881 Old 07-16-2010, 10:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Well you should check the online manual. Oh, wait. Well check the support forums, whoops!

I agree that you might have to have the reset button hold down while applying power and you might have to hold it for a full 10 or 15 seconds for it to do a true reset.
post #109 of 3881 Old 07-16-2010, 10:58 AM

Will someone please post a success story to make me feel better? Has anyone had one update the firmware and actually work yet?
post #110 of 3881 Old 07-16-2010, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamibob View Post

Will someone please post a success story to make me feel better? Has anyone had one update the firmware and actually work yet?

There are no success stories, just epic fails..... LOL Just kidding! But it honestly seems that everyone who has received one so far is having their own share of issues.
post #111 of 3881 Old 07-16-2010, 11:03 AM

Any photos of the interface?

What file formats does it support?

HD-audio?
post #112 of 3881 Old 07-16-2010, 11:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

There are no success stories, just epic fails..... LOL Just kidding! But it honestly seems that everyone who has received one so far is having their own share of issues.

They've already covered their asses on this with the "a shipment cleared customs faster than expected" BS. Now they can tell everyone who gets one that they shipped 'early' and to just hold on for a few weeks for new firmware.
post #113 of 3881 Old 07-16-2010, 11:05 AM

Quote:

I had success till I changed the damn Video mode. Tried componet still same issue. I just need a way to reset the damn video mode to default or a button to hit till it works. I guess i'll call and see what they say
post #114 of 3881 Old 07-16-2010, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

They've already covered their asses on this with the "a shipment cleared customs faster than expected" BS. Now they can tell everyone who gets one that they shipped 'early' and to just hold on for a few weeks for new firmware.

Yeah, I agree; it honestly is Keystone Cops over there, isn't it? I mean, I hope the product is good...but let's face it; as an organization, those guys have proven themselves to be a bunch of clowns.

No one knew it was shipping from Amazon early? It cleared Customs sooner than we thought? What, they don't know how to follow tracking, or read a bill of lading? It looks like they were really counting on that last week to get this thing actually, uh how do you say it...working.

CD

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
post #115 of 3881 Old 07-16-2010, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 68
All these initial issues are a read bad sign for something supposedly meant for mass consumption.

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
post #116 of 3881 Old 07-16-2010, 11:10 AM

omg this guy is a ****** at the tech support. he doesnt even understand what the hell i'm talking about. i'm never g onna have a working popbox. he cant even tell me how to reset the video without the menu. What a bunch of wasted time. Screw you popbox bitches
post #117 of 3881 Old 07-16-2010, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh View Post

All these initial issues are a read bad sign for something supposedly meant for mass consumption.

That's almost exactly what I was about to post.

After 4 months (since first launch date) I can't believe the firmware seems to be in such a state. It's shocking! There will be people out there who don't read forums like this who are returning the players already..
post #118 of 3881 Old 07-16-2010, 11:12 AM

Ok he kept thinking I was talking about making it work on a non HD tv. Jesus their tech support people are idiots. I just hung up on the moron after he suggested I turn it off and back on / unplug it etc. I want my money back. Good thing I was gonna get a Boxee box. It can't suck anymore then this POS
post #119 of 3881 Old 07-16-2010, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I had success till I changed the damn Video mode. Tried componet still same issue. I just need a way to reset the damn video mode to default or a button to hit till it works. I guess i'll call and see what they say

Watchy, on the old remote you corrected it with "tv mode". I'm guessing that's not on the new (little) Pop remote?

CD

post #120 of 3881 Old 07-16-2010, 11:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I Am on hold with tech support now and he apparently is trying some stuff on his end with my machine. question for everyone.... my w7 machine is set to share and I See PB in my device list..... is there anything I need to do additionally in the settings of my pb?
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Popbox 3d Multimedia Player Black

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page