PopBox Owners' Thread: Impressions, Reviews & Tips - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 3881 Old 07-15-2010, 06:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Brajesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Metro Atlanta
Posts: 5,858
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Update: If you're buying new, I recommend PopBox v8 (available via popbox.com); same $130 price. It's noticeably faster and has a better stock UI than the original PopBox / PopBox 3D.

Decided to revise my kinda outdated post and updates going back to PopBox's original release date with my latest impressions. PopBox had a very rocky launch. Multiple delays, no Netflix at launch (never came), no hd audio, no resume playback, etc., etc. It was referred to as "Poop-box" by Syabas' own Werner.

I bought two units at launch, then eBay-ed them, only to re-get two later... much later, a year since PopBox's launch. What changed? Well, Syabas fixed many issues and has made the PopBox a solid streamer.

Pros:
- Price (just $130 shipped from Amazon)
- Solid HD audio passthrough (bitstreaming)
- Solid video file playback, just as with Syabas' PCH-line NMT's
- Eversion (Flash UI) for YAMJ support
- Many more Internet apps now compared to launch (CNN, Revision3, etc.)
- 3D support (SBS and top/bottom format, not frame-packed full 3D)

Cons:
- Meh native UI
- Poor internal movie/TV scraper and jukebox
- Somewhat sluggish if many titles and using native jukebox

To me, what makes PopBox a great little box now is HD audio coupled with Eversion/YAMJ. This for $130 shipped when it's basically the same box as Syabas' own PCH A-210, which costs $200 shipped. PopBox is locked-down and doesn't support community apps, but I honestly haven't found anything useful and I also own an A210.

After PopBox, I went to PCH A210 and Boxee Box, but as Boxee still hasn't fixed its HD audio dropout problems, I'm getting out. Also, the Eversion skin with YAMJ has been a huge boost to PopBox/PCH IMHO.

Syabas has just released PopBox v8 in Europe with additional capabilities (faster chip, better internal scraper, better stock UI, smaller form factor, etc.). I'm hoping it gets a U.S. release as well.
LL
LL

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
Brajesh is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 3881 Old 07-15-2010, 06:19 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 21,724
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked: 766
I'll have at least one tomorrow(Assuming they actually ship it overnight like it shows on my status)and will have time to mess around with it Friday night.. Hopefully I can leave work early to pick it up. Otherwise I can't get it until Saturday and won't be able to play around with it until Sunday night.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

aaronwt is online now  
post #3 of 3881 Old 07-15-2010, 06:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Brajesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Metro Atlanta
Posts: 5,858
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 52
I have Amazon's two-day prime shipping, but if you get yours first, by all means, please post your impressions. From your earlier posts, I believe you have the C200 and also briefly owned a Dune 3.0 unit.

The A200/C200, Dune 3.0 & Xtreamer Pro/Sidewinder (w/upcoming HD audio/jukebox firmware) were the other boxes I was considering.

I'm also curious to see how the PopBox will index movies off my WHS.

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
Brajesh is online now  
post #4 of 3881 Old 07-15-2010, 06:33 AM
Senior Member
 
Bitwize's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 427
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I ordered a Popbox with 1 day delivery, so I should have it tomorrow afternoon. I've owned several Popcorn Hour A-110's and an A-200. For the most part I've been very impressed with these products. I have used them mostly with networked storage. As long as the Popbox supports bitstreaming of HD audio formats inside an M2TS container, I will be a happy camper. My A-200 did not support this so I sold it months ago. I'm eager to play with the Popbox as I've not had a good solution for playing back my 1080p MKV files in about 6 months (sold all the A-110's last year).
Bitwize is offline  
post #5 of 3881 Old 07-15-2010, 06:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Brajesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Metro Atlanta
Posts: 5,858
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Damian (very knowledgeable forum member) has had the beta firmware for the C200 for a while now (so it should be available for the A200 as well) and he has confirmed hd audio bitstreaming does in fact work now. Syabas is supposed to be releasing the official firmware update shortly. As the PopBox is supposed to have mostly the same internals, I'd expect (as Werner from Syabas has himself indicated) that the PopBox will support hd audio as well.

Added:
- See Werner's post here about hd audio.
- See Damian's articles at MediaSmartServer.net (several on Popcorn players, MKV, bitstreaming, etc.)

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
Brajesh is online now  
post #6 of 3881 Old 07-15-2010, 06:47 AM
Member
 
4fit?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Graham, NC
Posts: 171
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Just ordered mine. With the free prime for students offer Amazon has going right now, I got next day shipping for only $3.99. Will mainly be used for streaming DVD ISO, some HD MKVs, and audio collection from an external HD attached to my desktop. Hopefully will be replacing that with a NAS before too long.
4fit? is online now  
post #7 of 3881 Old 07-15-2010, 07:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
jmpage2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 10,053
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 77
It will be interesting to see if the shipping version includes the new SDK or the older one. Based on the delay of shipping the software I would expect that it's the new SDK since they started the port-over back in early May.

I should have mine Saturday if it ships out today and goes 2nd day air Prime.
jmpage2 is offline  
post #8 of 3881 Old 07-15-2010, 07:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
dbone1026's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 11,326
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh View Post

Damian (very knowledgeable forum member) has had the beta firmware for the C200 for a while now (so it should be available for the A200 as well) and he has confirmed hd audio bitstreaming does in fact work now. Syabas is supposed to be releasing the official firmware update shortly. As the PopBox is supposed to have mostly the same internals, I'd expect (as Werner from Syabas has himself indicated) that the PopBox will support hd audio as well.

Added:
- See Werner's post here about hd audio.
- See Damian's articles at MediaSmartServer.net (several on Popcorn players, MKV, bitstreaming, etc.)

Thanks for the kind words.

Correct, bitstreaming is working with the C200 beta fw. There seems to be an extra push to get this beta fw into the public soon, so hopefully within a month it will be public for the C200/A200/Popbox.

I should hopefully have the Popbox delivered by this weekend or early next week at the latest (good timing since I will be off). I also just received a Dune Prime to review, so should have a few different players to spend time with

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

dbone1026 is online now  
post #9 of 3881 Old 07-15-2010, 07:27 AM
Member
 
jackodagreat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 82
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Anyone know how to "bump up" an order? My June preorder states "available for shipping July 20th." I would like to join you guys in hopefully enjoying this box sooner than later...
jackodagreat is offline  
post #10 of 3881 Old 07-15-2010, 07:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
dbone1026's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 11,326
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post

It will be interesting to see if the shipping version includes the new SDK or the older one. Based on the delay of shipping the software I would expect that it's the new SDK since they started the port-over back in early May.

I should have mine Saturday if it ships out today and goes 2nd day air Prime.

I would actually be very surprised if it included the new SDK since that is not available on any of the players (as far as public avail.) They are still working out a lot of bugs with the new SDK so don't know if they would want to risk releasing a buggy Popbox.

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

dbone1026 is online now  
post #11 of 3881 Old 07-15-2010, 07:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
jmpage2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 10,053
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

I would actually be very surprised if it included the new SDK since that is not available on any of the players (as far as public avail.) They are still working out a lot of bugs with the new SDK so don't know if they would want to risk releasing a buggy Popbox.

Ha! Come on now, we know the Popbox is going to be buggy as hell on 1st release, this is Syabas we are talking about here!
jmpage2 is offline  
post #12 of 3881 Old 07-15-2010, 07:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
jmpage2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 10,053
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackodagreat View Post

Anyone know how to "bump up" an order? My June preorder states "available for shipping July 20th." I would like to join you guys in hopefully enjoying this box sooner than later...

Try to cancel the order. If you can't cancel it then you're stuck, unless you want to order a 2nd one and return the other one at a later time.
jmpage2 is offline  
post #13 of 3881 Old 07-15-2010, 07:47 AM
Member
 
4fit?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Graham, NC
Posts: 171
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Any near-future PB owners planning to use a Harmony remote (H1 user here)? I haven't had a chance to look at the remote manager to see if the PB is listed (I would be highly surprised if it was). What do you think the chances are of being able to use say the A-200 remote commands for the PB? Or will we have to "teach" the Harmony the commands from the stock remote?
4fit? is online now  
post #14 of 3881 Old 07-15-2010, 07:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
jmpage2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 10,053
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 77
I think it is highly likely that the A200 commands will work.

You can create a new profile for a new item with the Harmony software pretty easily, and just teach it all of the commands from the Popbox remote if needed.
jmpage2 is offline  
post #15 of 3881 Old 07-15-2010, 08:02 AM
Advanced Member
 
met64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 538
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4fit? View Post

Any near-future PB owners planning to use a Harmony remote (H1 user here)? I haven't had a chance to look at the remote manager to see if the PB is listed (I would be highly surprised if it was). What do you think the chances are of being able to use say the A-200 remote commands for the PB? Or will we have to "teach" the Harmony the commands from the stock remote?

I have the H650 and checked the database and PB is not listed. Popcorn hour is, of course but not popbox.
met64 is offline  
post #16 of 3881 Old 07-15-2010, 08:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Brajesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Metro Atlanta
Posts: 5,858
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 52
With the lack of dedicated buttons on the PopBox remote for 'Audio', 'Subtitle', and title/pop-up menu, I'm wondering how we'll access those functions. Maybe like the WDTV remote in which you press 'Option'. So, the 'info' button maybe, but that isn't intuitive. Guess we'll find out soon enough.
LL

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
Brajesh is online now  
post #17 of 3881 Old 07-15-2010, 08:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
jmpage2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 10,053
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 77
I bet the discrete commands still work, I think from the CES videos the option button brought up some kind of sub-menu but have to look at it again.
jmpage2 is offline  
post #18 of 3881 Old 07-15-2010, 08:29 AM
Member
 
4fit?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Graham, NC
Posts: 171
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'll certainly try to A200 commands first, but teaching the Harmony is no biggie either if I have to.

I'm really surprised (or not surprised considering who we are talking about) that there hasn't been anything posted on the PopBlog about them shipping now. With all the delays and fumbles, seems like they would want to get the word out ASAP.
4fit? is online now  
post #19 of 3881 Old 07-15-2010, 08:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
jmpage2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 10,053
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4fit? View Post

I'll certainly try to A200 commands first, but teaching the Harmony is no biggie either if I have to.

I'm really surprised (or not surprised considering who we are talking about) that there hasn't been anything posted on the PopBlog about them shipping now. With all the delays and fumbles, seems like they would want to get the word out ASAP.

We'll find out later today that they weren't supposed to ship, Amazon shipped anyway and PS, firmware/software won't be ready for another month. Please don't return it though when it's done it will be great!

Let's hope Syabas don't turn into the new XStreamer with tons of empty promises that go undelivered for over a year.
jmpage2 is offline  
post #20 of 3881 Old 07-15-2010, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member
 
CDLehner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Dark Side of the Moon-Right Side of the Bay, MD
Posts: 9,045
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitwize View Post

I ordered a Popbox with 1 day delivery, so I should have it tomorrow afternoon. I've owned several Popcorn Hour A-110's and an A-200. For the most part I've been very impressed with these products. I have used them mostly with networked storage. As long as the Popbox supports bitstreaming of HD audio formats inside an M2TS container, I will be a happy camper. My A-200 did not support this so I sold it months ago. I'm eager to play with the Popbox as I've not had a good solution for playing back my 1080p MKV files in about 6 months (sold all the A-110's last year).

It won't...out of the box.

CD

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
CDLehner is online now  
post #21 of 3881 Old 07-15-2010, 09:12 AM
Senior Member
 
rdb4133's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Spring, TX
Posts: 470
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I placed my order as well since I had some gift card funds sitting out there. I figure I'll give it a shot. I got standard shipping which is usually 2 days so I should have by early next week as well. Looking forward to hearing everyone's reviews/comments on the device!

I also really wanted Netflix on this box as well and am highly disappointed that it isn't on there at launch but I'm hoping I can at least get PlayOn to work with it at least. But from I hear PlayOn with any of the Popcorn Hour devices doesn't work too great sometimes.

I'd also be interested in how the Popbox handles nfo/tbn files for XBMC and high quality thumbnails that many of us already have in our own collection. There has been conflicting answers given by Syabas regarding this so anyone who gets this first can let us all know what works and doesn't work, etc. etc
rdb4133 is offline  
post #22 of 3881 Old 07-15-2010, 10:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
jmpage2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 10,053
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdb4133 View Post

I placed my order as well since I had some gift card funds sitting out there. I figure I'll give it a shot. I got standard shipping which is usually 2 days so I should have by early next week as well. Looking forward to hearing everyone's reviews/comments on the device!

I also really wanted Netflix on this box as well and am highly disappointed that it isn't on there at launch but I'm hoping I can at least get PlayOn to work with it at least. But from I hear PlayOn with any of the Popcorn Hour devices doesn't work too great sometimes.

I'd also be interested in how the Popbox handles nfo/tbn files for XBMC and high quality thumbnails that many of us already have in our own collection. There has been conflicting answers given by Syabas regarding this so anyone who gets this first can let us all know what works and doesn't work, etc. etc

The latest information from Syabas is that version 1.0 of the Popbox software will NOT honor .nfo and fanart/cover jpg artwork in the folder of a movie.

All scraping will only be done through IMDB.
jmpage2 is offline  
post #23 of 3881 Old 07-15-2010, 10:10 AM
Senior Member
 
rdb4133's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Spring, TX
Posts: 470
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post

The latest information from Syabas is that version 1.0 of the Popbox software will NOT honor .nfo and fanart/cover jpg artwork in the folder of a movie.

All scraping will only be done through IMDB.

I thought I read that too, that does suck. Hopefully soon enough it will honor .nfo and fanart/cover jpg artwork in the folder of a movie.
rdb4133 is offline  
post #24 of 3881 Old 07-15-2010, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mallu2u's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Sterling, VA
Posts: 3,073
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looking forward to all the reviews! Hope they fare well and that these dumbnuts release Netflix feature soon as well
mallu2u is offline  
post #25 of 3881 Old 07-15-2010, 10:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
dbone1026's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 11,326
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post

The latest information from Syabas is that version 1.0 of the Popbox software will NOT honor .nfo and fanart/cover jpg artwork in the folder of a movie.

All scraping will only be done through IMDB.

The big question though is how well (i.e. accurate) will the IMDB scraping be...I think it was hit or miss with the alpha jukebox in the beta fw

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

dbone1026 is online now  
post #26 of 3881 Old 07-15-2010, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Brajesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Metro Atlanta
Posts: 5,858
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 52
My two units just shipped (got tracking #) , but as it's UPS 2-day, I expect I'll get them Monday (since they don't deliver on Saturday I think). Too bad as I'm traveling for work until Wednesday .

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
Brajesh is online now  
post #27 of 3881 Old 07-15-2010, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member
 
palehorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,393
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I think it's ironic that some of our preorders, with Prime, are scheduled to arrive later than folks who ordered today... Mine said "July 20" as well...

/shrug, I guess it's better than nothing, right?
palehorse is offline  
post #28 of 3881 Old 07-15-2010, 10:56 AM
Advanced Member
 
liquidmetal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 529
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'd like to request two things from the early adoptees:

1. How is bd iso wired LAN network streaming. Any hiccups?
2. Check HD audio passthrough.

Thanks!
liquidmetal is offline  
post #29 of 3881 Old 07-15-2010, 11:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
dbone1026's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 11,326
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidmetal View Post

I'd like to request two things from the early adoptees:

1. How is bd iso wired LAN network streaming. Any hiccups?
2. Check HD audio passthrough.

Thanks!

2. Will not be working at the start (at least for standalone m2ts/mkv). I would hope that it should be working for BR folders though

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

dbone1026 is online now  
post #30 of 3881 Old 07-15-2010, 11:19 AM
Member
 
jac601's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 57
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello People,

I have been following the Progress of the PopBox through a few forums like this one, as well as the PopBox Site. I also received the Pre-Order ready to ship notification from Amazon and was given and expected arrival date of 7/20/10. I definitely did not want to cancel my Pre-order and was pleased to hear the news of the Shipping Date, but I am still skeptical about the interface, capabilities and customization of the PopBox itself.

I am mainly hoping they didn't bend over to too many DRM type request from different potential app partners who may not even sign on as an app partner with Syabas, I hope they are more focused on making software that will allow users to customize their librarys, art etc.... instead of trying to please a bunch of different app partners.
jac601 is offline  
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Popbox 3d Multimedia Player Black

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off