post #361 of 3635 Old 09-15-2010, 08:35 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilF View Post

Possibly a naive question - Without any onboard storage where does it store any database regarding your media library?

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=271
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 3635 Old 09-15-2010, 08:42 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post

It was previously reported in the thread by jakmal from Anandtech that it has internal storage, possibly 1GB worth. More than enough for the SQL database it would need to handle local media files unless you have a ridiculous amount of media (10's of thousands?).

Thanks! Sounds perfect then!
post #363 of 3635 Old 09-15-2010, 08:43 AM

Why is everyone getting so preemptively worked up about a fan in this thing without having heard it? Jakmal already said it was whisper quiet. Seems reasonable to me that it would have a fan, since this device is less of a media streamer and more of a HTPC lite.
post #364 of 3635 Old 09-15-2010, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbacklund View Post

Why is everyone getting so preemptively worked up about a fan in this thing without having heard it? Jakmal already said it was whisper quiet. Seems reasonable to me that it would have a fan, since this device is less of a media streamer and more of a HTPC lite.

A lot of people are sensitive to noises from these kind of devices and a lot of manufacturers callously throw in the loudest most obnoxious thing possible to do the cooling (probably because it's the cheapest, gotta save those nickels!).

I have several devices that have extremely effective active cooling to the point that I don't even hear them. I understand that the Dune Base also has active cooling but the fan is effectively silent.

Considering the low power draw of the Intel chipset I would be really surprised if the Boxee Box fan was noticeable. Remember too that the Boxee guys have repeatedly stated what big fans of elegant design they are. If D-Link shoved a noisy fan into the units they would almost definitely complain about it.
post #365 of 3635 Old 09-15-2010, 08:58 AM

Just got this email:

Quote:

/ / / PRE-ORDER NOW / / /
D-Link has signed up Amazon http://amzn.to/theboxeeboxbydlink (in the US) and Best Buy http://www.bestbuy.ca/boxee / Future Shop http://www.futureshop.ca/boxee (in Canada) as exclusive pre-order partners for the Boxee Box. As of this morning these sites are accepting pre-orders. People who pre-order through Amazon in the US will receive their Boxee Box before it goes on sale anywhere else.

If you’re still deciding between running Boxee on your computer and getting a Boxee Box, here’s a few things to consider:

* it will have access to more HD content than its PC cousin
* no need for keyboard/mouse in the living room or running a 10ft cable to connect your laptop
* it’s beautiful, though a bit pointy in parts : )

/ / / BOXEE BOX GOING INTERNATIONAL / / /
We have some good news for people who live in _______ (see list below)! D-Link has decided to go for an International launch rather than just release in the US.

Come this November the Boxee Box will be available in the following countries: the US, Canada, Australia and in Europe – Albania, Austria, Belgium, Bosnia, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Croatia, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Macedonia, Montenegro, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Serbia, Slovenia, Slovakia, Sweden, Switzerland and the UK.

As soon as we have news regarding other countries we will let you know.

Best,
Avner & Team Boxee

A previous poster mentioned his Dlink supplier was supposed to receive the first shipment in a few weeks. They don't mention any specific dates in this email, but I wonder if a mid october early release now seems plausible (for pre orders).
post #366 of 3635 Old 09-15-2010, 09:29 AM

pre-order-a-boxee-box-now-australia-europe-were-coming-and-intel-goes-inside/

Quote:

avner ronen says: September 14, 2010 at 10:47 am We have no plans to support Newgroups.. People can write apps that implement these type of protocols.

The above comment from Boxee CEO on the Boxee blog is interesting.

Plus another interesting comment:
Jim Doyle says: September 15, 2010 at 11:31 am

Quote:

Reading all this I’m a bit worried that D-Link will be ‘Tivoizating’ the Boxee Box HW.

Locking down the hardware could force the developers of some of the GPL software that you use (like XBMC) to change their license to GPLv3 which main goal is to prevent Tivoization.

Tivoization is the creation of a system that incorporates software under the terms of a copyleft software license (like the GPL), but uses hardware restrictions to prevent users from running modified versions of the software on that hardware. Richard Stallman coined the term and believes this practice denies users some of the freedom that the GNU General Public License (GNU GPL) was designed to protect. The term came about in reference to TiVo’s use of GNU GPL licensed software on the TiVo brand digital video recorders (DVR).

TiVo’s software incorporates the Linux kernel and GNU software, both of which are licensed under version 2 of the GNU General Public License (GPLv2). GPLv2 requires distributors to make the corresponding source code available to each person who receives the software. The goal of this requirement is to allow users of GPL’d software to modify the software to better suit their purposes.

However, Stallman believes TiVo circumvented this goal by making their products run programs only if the program’s digital signature matches those authorized by the manufacturer of the TiVo. So while TiVo has complied with the GPL v2 requirement to release the source code for others to modify, any modified software will not run on TiVo’s hardware.

post #367 of 3635 Old 09-15-2010, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagabond View Post

pre-order-a-boxee-box-now-australia-europe-were-coming-and-intel-goes-inside/

The above comment from Boxee CEO on the Boxee blog is interesting.

Plus another interesting comment:
Jim Doyle says: September 15, 2010 at 11:31 am

Quite interesting stuff on Tivoization. I wonder how the firmware of the WDTV class of devices is related to this. I expect Boxee Box firmware to be very similar to that (the base hardware acceleration is abstracted away from the firmware devs with some APIs, but devs can still write apps for the OS on top taking advantage of the other features of the SoC such as networking etc.)

Ganesh T S
Sr. Editor,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #368 of 3635 Old 09-15-2010, 10:22 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked: 720
Quote:

...............I have several devices that have extremely effective active cooling to the point that I don't even hear them. I understand that the Dune Base also has active cooling but the fan is effectively silent.

When I had my Dune Base 3.0, I could easily hear the fan in it. But it was not at an annoying frequency. And it was certainly not annoying like the noise from BD drive in my early Dune Prime 3.0. (I hear the BD drive noise issue is resolved in the current Dune Primes)

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #369 of 3635 Old 09-15-2010, 12:44 PM

Apologies if this is a dumb question or if it has been covered previously in this (very long) thread.

Will I be able to download media on my laptop and then transfer the media files wirelessly to an external hard drive that I leave permanently hooked up to the Boxee Box?
post #370 of 3635 Old 09-15-2010, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 47
You should be able to as many existing media players (like the WD TV Live, Popcorn A200/C200, etc.) support this already, or you can leave the media on your laptop and stream it to the Boxee Box.

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
post #371 of 3635 Old 09-15-2010, 03:58 PM

I have pre-ordered a unit. For the Canadians in the crowd, the future shop price is $30 less than best buy.

I am currently using a acer revo 3610 with xbmcfreaks live cd.

Edit, best buy lowered their price to match futureshops.
post #372 of 3635 Old 09-15-2010, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by guncle View Post

I have pre-ordered a unit. For the Canadians in the crowd, the future shop price is $30 less than best buy.

I am currently using a acer revo 3610 with xbmcfreaks live cd.

Edit, best buy lowered their price to match futureshops.

I paid $199.99 from Best Buy in Canada. The Future Shop web price was higher last night. Are you saying it's $170? That would be great!

Philip

Edit: I see it's $200 like Best Buy. Oh well...
post #373 of 3635 Old 09-16-2010, 01:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 548
I went ahead and pre-ordered one of these. I'm assuming that Hulu will work somehow and that it will play high-bit-rate MKVs made from BluRays over the network. While it might be possible to achieve this from other media players, I'm struggling to find much evidence that any of them do so reliably.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
post #374 of 3635 Old 09-16-2010, 01:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post

I went ahead and pre-ordered one of these. I'm assuming that Hulu will work somehow and that it will play high-bit-rate MKVs made from BluRays over the network. While it might be possible to achieve this from other media players, I'm struggling to find much evidence that any of them do so reliably.

There are several players that play high bitrate BluRay mkvs from the network without issue. As far as Hulu, all other players you need to use a service like PlayOn to get

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) -

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

post #375 of 3635 Old 09-16-2010, 03:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

There are several players that play high bitrate BluRay mkvs from the network without issue. As far as Hulu, all other players you need to use a service like PlayOn to get

So I read your stuff and value it greatly, and don't want to come off harsh but I did (a) add the word reliably and (b) would ask you to name those players.

I have read much on the forums and short of the Dune -- which seems expensive and I'm not really sure it's that reliable -- it seems every other player has a problem except for one of the PCH models.

As for PlayOn, I have it. It's great so long as the stream doesn't crap out. If it does, the lack of transport controls can be incredibly irritating.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
post #376 of 3635 Old 09-16-2010, 03:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:

So I read your stuff and value it greatly, and don't want to come off harsh but I did (a) add the word reliably and (b) would ask you to name those players.

I have read much on the forums and short of the Dune -- which seems expensive and I'm not really sure it's that reliable -- it seems every other player has a problem except for one of the PCH models.

As for PlayOn, I have it. It's great so long as the stream doesn't crap out. If it does, the lack of transport controls can be incredibly irritating.

May I ask first why you say that you are not sure the Dune is reliable???

As for players, the Dune and the PCH C-200 I have had no issues playing any of my BluRay mkvs over my network. Same goes for the SageTV HD200 (I should be getting the HD300 tomorrow so I hopefully will confirm the same results). The Xtreamer handled the mkvs better over nfs versus smb, I need to do some more testing on the Pro.

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) -

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

post #377 of 3635 Old 09-16-2010, 05:11 AM

post #378 of 3635 Old 09-16-2010, 05:20 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
^^ Fixed

http://www.techradar.com/news/comput...-review-716872

Nothing new in there though unfortunately...
post #379 of 3635 Old 09-16-2010, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilF View Post

^^ Fixed

http://www.techradar.com/news/comput...-review-716872

Nothing new in there though unfortunately...

Doah....thanks....wasn't pay attention
post #380 of 3635 Old 09-16-2010, 05:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Sorry if this is a dumb question (I'm posting this to the Netgear NeoTV 550 thread as well)...I have an older receiver that supports Dolby Digital and DTS, but not Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD. The receiver has an older HDMI input. I've had success with MPC-HC decoding a TrueHD track and passing the multichannel audio over HDMI. Will this box do that as well? And for DTS-HD, will decode that to 5.1? If not, when I go to rip a Blu-ray can I just rip the DTS-HD soundtrack and the core DTS 5.1 soundtrack will automatically come along for the ride, or do I need to specifically rip both the DTS-HD (for future use) and core DTS soundtracks during ripping? And, if so, how much extra storage space is that typically going to require?

Scott R
--------------
I'd much rather watch a great movie in B&W at 240 lines of resolution than a lousy movie in 1080p with lossless audio.
post #381 of 3635 Old 09-16-2010, 06:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Maybe you are having network issues in general. Streaming high bit rate mkv or iso is demanding and many home networks are not up to snuff for it. The source NAS, etc, also has to have the chops to do it.
post #382 of 3635 Old 09-16-2010, 06:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srauly View Post

Sorry if this is a dumb question (I'm posting this to the Netgear NeoTV 550 thread as well)...I have an older receiver that supports Dolby Digital and DTS, but not Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD. The receiver has an older HDMI input. I've had success with MPC-HC decoding a TrueHD track and passing the multichannel audio over HDMI. Will this box do that as well? And for DTS-HD, will decode that to 5.1? If not, when I go to rip a Blu-ray can I just rip the DTS-HD soundtrack and the core DTS 5.1 soundtrack will automatically come along for the ride, or do I need to specifically rip both the DTS-HD (for future use) and core DTS soundtracks during ripping? And, if so, how much extra storage space is that typically going to require?

It is reported earlier in the thread that this is possible but until units are available for testing there is no way to know for sure.
post #383 of 3635 Old 09-16-2010, 06:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by srauly View Post

Yes, the Boxee will use the core (DD or DTS) in each HD codec, so you can rip with just the HD codec intact.
post #384 of 3635 Old 09-16-2010, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 47
With regard to Hulu, I'm hoping we can access it via the Boxee's web browser app.

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
post #385 of 3635 Old 09-16-2010, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh View Post

With regard to Hulu, I'm hoping we can access it via the Boxee's web browser app.

My impression is that if Hulu doesn't play nice, that will be an option because there really is no way to stop it.

If however Hulu offers up Hulu Plus as a premium service, I suspect Boxee themselves will block normal Hulu :\\
post #386 of 3635 Old 09-16-2010, 07:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raistlin_HT View Post

My impression is that if Hulu doesn't play nice, that will be an option because there really is no way to stop it.

If however Hulu offers up Hulu Plus as a premium service, I suspect Boxee themselves will block normal Hulu :\\

Those are the kind of negotiations that happen to get premium content in the first place.

Boxee Box definitely wants to get as much premium content as possible and it would appear they want to deliver it to us without having to cave in to pressure that prevents them from serving up a users own media at the same time.

It's a high wire act that hopefully they can pull off. Certainly from jakmal's description of things they were told under NDA Boxee has extremely big plans for this device but we'll have to see what they can bring to the table at launch time which is less than two months away at this point.
post #387 of 3635 Old 09-16-2010, 08:18 AM

Liked: 11
Pardon me if this is a dumb question, but what does Hulu offer that Clicker doesn't? I just downloaded the software to my PC and had a Clicker app, but no Hulu.

I just need to be sure this thing can play (for free) the most recent episodes of House, Lie to Me, CSI, ect and it seems Clicker does this fine. The Boxee Box should do the same, correct?
post #388 of 3635 Old 09-16-2010, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by berger6696 View Post

Pardon me if this is a dumb question, but what does Hulu offer that Clicker doesn't? I just downloaded the software to my PC and had a Clicker app, but no Hulu.

I just need to be sure this thing can play (for free) the most recent episodes of House, Lie to Me, CSI, ect and it seems Clicker does this fine. The Boxee Box should do the same, correct?

http://www.google.com/search?client=...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
post #389 of 3635 Old 09-16-2010, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Those are the kind of negotiations that happen to get premium content in the first place.

Boxee Box definitely wants to get as much premium content as possible and it would appear they want to deliver it to us without having to cave in to pressure that prevents them from serving up a users own media at the same time.

It's a high wire act that hopefully they can pull off. Certainly from jakmal's description of things they were told under NDA Boxee has extremely big plans for this device but we'll have to see what they can bring to the table at launch time which is less than two months away at this point.

Yeah sorry, that was what I meant but worded rather poorly. As part of the negotiation to get Hulu Plus, I suspect Hulu will demand they gimp the browser.

The dynamic is rather interesting. While Boxee wants premium content, giving Hulu leverage for the removal of browser-based streaming, it works both ways. Regular Hulu already offers enough content that Boxee likely has some leverage when you think about it. Hulu can't be too demanding or Boxee can simply tell them to screw off and stick with the standard browser content.
post #390 of 3635 Old 09-16-2010, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raistlin_HT View Post

Yeah sorry, that was what I meant but worded rather poorly. As part of the negotiation to get Hulu Plus, I suspect Hulu will demand they gimp the browser.

The dynamic is rather interesting. While Boxee wants premium content, giving Hulu leverage for the removal of browser-based streaming, it works both ways. Regular Hulu already offers enough content that Boxee likely has some leverage when you think about it. Hulu can't be too demanding or Boxee can simply tell them to screw off and stick with the standard browser content.

Personally I've found Hulu to be terribly over-rated anyway. Crappy low bitrate content sprinkled with tons of commercials that you can't skip. I have a DVR for that type of thing. About the only time Hulu is useful is if your DVR didn't record a show or you want to catch up on a popular show prior to a new season starting. That's really about the extent of its usefullness for me.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
The Boxee Box By D Link Hd Streaming Media Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page