Wireless media server? Can you advise any, or how wireless should be setup? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 07-28-2010, 06:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

Can anyone advise on any media server to setup for wireless content streaming (DVDs, Music, etc.) I'd like to get media server with good performance, and main requirement - it has to be wireless.

I have Linksys E3000 router, which should do the job well.

Any advise on which media server to get?

Thank you,

Vlad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-28-2010, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 40
The E3000 has UPnP server functionality built into it (meaning the router itself acts as a server) so you don't really need to get a stand-alone media server unless you need a lot of storage (+2 TB or more) and extra flexibility. If you really do want a media server, you'll have to give us more information about the devices you are using, your budget, and your location.
post #3 of 10 Old 07-28-2010, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post

The E3000 has UPnP server functionality built into it (meaning the router itself acts as a server) so you don't really need to get a stand-alone media server unless you need a lot of storage (+2 TB or more) and extra flexibility. If you really do want a media server, you'll have to give us more information about the devices you are using, your budget, and your location.

Before I got E3000, I had Linksys G wireless router + Netgear ReadyNAS Duo (with music and Mpeg4, divx, nothing HD), connected to the network. I would access ReadyNAS wirelessly from Playstation3. Music was never a problem, but video sometimes lagged, depending on interference, lags were significant at times. Then lightning striked, and killed many of my electronic gadgets.

I replaced 5 yo router with E3000 (because Linksys advertises it is optimized for HD wireless streaming, and has 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz). Replacing PS3 is no brainer, I'll replace it with another PS3.

Next piece of the puzzle is replacement for ReadyNAS drive. I think I paid something like $400 for it and 1TB HDD. I'd like to stay in the same price range, if possible, but definitely open to more performance oriented alternatives.
post #4 of 10 Old 07-28-2010, 11:59 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked: 647
You can get a 2TB drive for as low as $120 now. Most of mine were $140 around the holidays last year.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #5 of 10 Old 07-28-2010, 12:12 PM

Before you go and buy any additional hardware to host your files, make sure you consider whether your wireless signal will work as expected. I upgraded my entire network to wireless N only to find out that interference from surrounding wireless signals severely degraded the performance of my network.

In my experience (apartment living, densely populated complex), Wireless N works perfectly for Audio streaming and SD video content, hit or miss for 720p video content, and not at all for 1080p video content. I will be running Ethernet throughout my apartment soon.

EDIT: All of that being said, if you want the best performance out of your setup then make sure you connect your Media Server to your router via Ethernet. That way, the wireless signal will be dedicated to streaming your content to your target player.
post #6 of 10 Old 07-28-2010, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladyxa View Post

Before I got E3000, I had Linksys G wireless router + Netgear ReadyNAS Duo (with music and Mpeg4, divx, nothing HD), connected to the network. I would access ReadyNAS wirelessly from Playstation3. Music was never a problem, but video sometimes lagged, depending on interference, lags were significant at times. Then lightning striked, and killed many of my electronic gadgets.

I replaced 5 yo router with E3000 (because Linksys advertises it is optimized for HD wireless streaming, and has 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz). Replacing PS3 is no brainer, I'll replace it with another PS3.

Next piece of the puzzle is replacement for ReadyNAS drive. I think I paid something like $400 for it and 1TB HDD. I'd like to stay in the same price range, if possible, but definitely open to more performance oriented alternatives.

To be blunt, your router isn't going to do anything for you with a setup like that. The PS3 is hobbled by lack of Wireless N and support for the QOS features (what you need to have built-in to your wireless devices for what you want to do) that your router has. Given that, you would only get slightly better performance from the new router than your previous one. What you need to do is go with Ethernet if at all possible. That will improve things greatly for you if you insist on using the PS3 to stream video. Also, ditch the ReadyNAS idea. You can plug a well-designed external USB HDD enclosure into the Linksys router and the router will perform all the duties of the ReadyNAS.
post #7 of 10 Old 07-28-2010, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

You can get a 2TB drive for as low as $120 now. Most of mine were $140 around the holidays last year.

It is amazing how prices have dropped in last couple of years, and at the same time storage size have increased.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daphatty View Post

Before you go and buy any additional hardware to host your files, make sure you consider whether your wireless signal will work as expected. I upgraded my entire network to wireless N only to find out that interference from surrounding wireless signals severely degraded the performance of my network.

In my experience (apartment living, densely populated complex), Wireless N works perfectly for Audio streaming and SD video content, hit or miss for 720p video content, and not at all for 1080p video content. I will be running Ethernet throughout my apartment soon.

EDIT: All of that being said, if you want the best performance out of your setup then make sure you connect your Media Server to your router via Ethernet. That way, the wireless signal will be dedicated to streaming your content to your target player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post

To be blunt, your router isn't going to do anything for you with a setup like that. The PS3 is hobbled by lack of Wireless N and support for the QOS features (what you need to have built-in to your wireless devices for what you want to do) that your router has. Given that, you would only get slightly better performance from the new router than your previous one. What you need to do is go with Ethernet if at all possible. That will improve things greatly for you if you insist on using the PS3 to stream video. Also, ditch the ReadyNAS idea. You can plug a well-designed external USB HDD enclosure into the Linksys router and the router will perform all the duties of the ReadyNAS.

daphatty & LexInVA

Connecting directly via Ethernet definitely makes a lot of sense.
May be what I should really do, is either:

1) bring cable modem and router downstairs, and connect it via Ethernet to PS3, and connect my desktop wirelessly instead, or

2) run Ethernet wire downstairs to PS3.

Will long Ethernet cable affect signal or performance?

Also, any suggestions on USB storage with future expansion?
post #8 of 10 Old 07-28-2010, 02:38 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked: 647
The Ethernet cable will be fine up to 100 meters. After that you will have problems with gigabit, although 100mbs will work at frather distances.
But the spec is up to a 100 meter length. Cat5e/Cat6

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #9 of 10 Old 07-28-2010, 06:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladyxa View Post

Hello,

Can anyone advise on any media server to setup for wireless content streaming (DVDs, Music, etc.) I'd like to get media server with good performance, and main requirement - it has to be wireless.

I have Linksys E3000 router, which should do the job well.

Any advise on which media server to get?

Thank you,

Vlad

Just giving you a heads up... you may or may not get media players to work correctly with the Cisco Linksys E3000 (I went through 2 of these) through pure wireless. I tried getting it to work several media players I owned. I hardwired them too with CAT6 and I still couldn't get SAMBA shares to work (UPnP Works). I then switched back to my old trusty Linksys WRT54G and everything worked so I know all the sharing permissiosn/setup is correct.

Keep me updated if you can get it to work...

Cheers!

Cameron
post #10 of 10 Old 08-03-2010, 06:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

The Ethernet cable will be fine up to 100 meters. After that you will have problems with gigabit, although 100mbs will work at frather distances.
But the spec is up to a 100 meter length. Cat5e/Cat6

Thanks. I called my electrician, still waiting for the quote to run the cable through the house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgvroadster View Post

Just giving you a heads up... you may or may not get media players to work correctly with the Cisco Linksys E3000 (I went through 2 of these) through pure wireless. I tried getting it to work several media players I owned. I hardwired them too with CAT6 and I still couldn't get SAMBA shares to work (UPnP Works). I then switched back to my old trusty Linksys WRT54G and everything worked so I know all the sharing permissiosn/setup is correct.

Keep me updated if you can get it to work...

My E3000 seems to be defective, and I will need to send it back. Last night I tried to connect external hard drive through USB cable, and it did not work. After spending about an hour reading through manual and going through the settings I gave up. The router could not see hard drive connected through USB. I'll give E3000 one more try, and if it does not work I'll switch back to older technology.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page