Old 03-14-2012, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbryanr View Post

Just wondering...where are the innovative minds in the major studios/media distributors? Is no one willing to risk their paycheck?
Unbelievable. Protectionism and staid thinking

Old school thinking is clearly rampant in this industry.

Piracy? All we need are MKV/ISO/MP4 files with watermarks that identify the rightful owner and the market can police itself.

MPAA/RIA are trying to control us and force their crappy outdated models down our throat.

I spend probably $1000 on blu-ray media a year, but I won't be spending a nickel of that on downloads if they are lower quality and only play on a handful of devices.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2012, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post

Piracy? All we need are MKV/ISO/MP4 files with watermarks that identify the rightful owner and the market can police itself.

I have been thinking myself about a good solution for the MAFIAA's 'problems'.. Firstly, I wanted them to reduce costs for consumers by getting rid of the whole optical media / disc creation charges and just loading up a protected ISO image on a user supplied hard drive (over the network for all those with large bandwidth / in-store for the others).. Secondly, I was thinking about a watermark mechanism on the ISO similar to what you are saying so that if some version gets out on the Internet, it can be traced back to the purchaser.. However, there are too many issues with that mode of thinking:

1. There is no reason why a consumer can't share the watermarked ISO / video files with his friends and family, but the MAFIAA wants the friends and family to buy their own version.

2. Making sure that only one copy can be played at a particular time (similar to 1 DVD / Blu-ray being lent to a friend) is simply not possible without playback pinging a central server.

Current Blu-ray specifications allow for video watermarks to be dynamically created when playing back a stream on a player, but I don't think that watermark creation process is exercised in the ripping process (and I am also not aware of any discs which actually implement that watermark creation process).

Ganesh T S
Sr. Editor, AnandTech Inc.
Old 03-15-2012, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Everything you are saying also applies to Music, and yet, magically, amazingly, DRM on music is dead dead dead and the market in purchased digital music continues to grow.

I don't know about other collectors, but I simply won't buy a copy of a movie I don't have physical control of, whether it's via download, physical disc, etc... and I have little faith in DRM laden mechanisms that might lose support down the road, rendering my collection worthless.

The pirates are going to pirate, regardless of what purchasers do... the problem is that the MPAA is completely 100% hung up on the idea that every downloaded pirated copy is a "lost sale" even when the pirate was never intending on buying anyway.
Old 03-15-2012, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakmal View Post

. . . Secondly, I was thinking about a watermark mechanism on the ISO similar to what you are saying so that if some version gets out on the Internet, it can be traced back to the purchaser.. However, there are too many issues with that mode of thinking:

1. There is no reason why a consumer can't share the watermarked ISO / video files with his friends and family. . .

If the watermark was the purchaser's credit-card number, he/she/it would think twice about sharing.