Connecting headphones to WDTV Live HELPPP - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 08-01-2010, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a question regarding connecting headphones to a WDTV Live.

Heres the thing. I live in a apartment and late at night every little tiny but of volume can be heard on the other apartments and ive been told multiple times to take the volume down. However I was thinking of watching my movies with headphones.

Ok, how can I do this using the WDTV Live. My TV doesnt have a headphone out. The only out of my TV is optical out and its being used.

I was thinking if I did the following setup it would work.

use the AV out of the WDTV ->> female 2 RCA to 1 3.5 Male aux headphone ---> stereo female-female coupler -> connect headphones

The thing is, im pretty sure this is going to work, but HERES THE PROBLEM,

As soon as I was about to order, I asked myself how am I going to switch up and down the volume, I have no IDEA. Can someone please shed me some light on this or any better recomendation.

Also my wdtv is hooked to a receiver via hdmi then via hdmi to my tv.

I appreciate any help you can give me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-01-2010, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanoPR View Post

I have a question regarding connecting headphones to a WDTV Live.

Heres the thing. I live in a apartment and late at night every little tiny but of volume can be heard on the other apartments and ive been told multiple times to take the volume down. However I was thinking of watching my movies with headphones.

Ok, how can I do this using the WDTV Live. My TV doesnt have a headphone out. The only out of my TV is optical out and its being used.

I was thinking if I did the following setup it would work.

use the AV out of the WDTV ->> female 2 RCA to 1 3.5 Male aux headphone ---> stereo female-female coupler -> connect headphones

The thing is, im pretty sure this is going to work, but HERES THE PROBLEM,

As soon as I was about to order, I asked myself how am I going to switch up and down the volume, I have no IDEA. Can someone please shed me some light on this or any better recomendation.

Also my wdtv is hooked to a receiver via hdmi then via hdmi to my tv.

I appreciate any help you can give me.

There is a set of Xtreamer wireless headphones that will work with your WDTV (they need a USB port to power the transmitter):

Xtreamer 2.4GHZ Wireless Headset (eBay)

Xtreamer 2.4GHZ Wireless Headset (Amazon)

Unless Western Digital recently added volume control to their firmware (which I am not aware of) these will not solve your volume control problem, however. You will have to probably hook this up to your receiver and control the volume using your receiver's remote.

Also, not sure if the WD outputs audio through it's RCA at the same time it is set to use HDMI. You will have to test this first--if you want to hook the headphones directly to the WD and use both the HDMI and RCA connection (for the headphone) at the same time.
post #3 of 6 Old 08-01-2010, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter

Hello,

I appreciate your help. Im kind of confused on how this would work. I would consider it buying it if I get it to make sense.

My receiver only has 1 output. HDMI

All the other things are inputs

so if I have the WDTV through the receiver, then theres no way for me to get audio out of the receiver while seeing the picture.

My only choice would be to connect stuff directly to the WDTV which should shoot out the audio
post #4 of 6 Old 08-01-2010, 08:02 PM

Quote:

Hello,

I appreciate your help. Im kind of confused on how this would work. I would consider it buying it if I get it to make sense.

My receiver only has 1 output. HDMI

All the other things are inputs

so if I have the WDTV through the receiver, then theres no way for me to get audio out of the receiver while seeing the picture.

My only choice would be to connect stuff directly to the WDTV which should shoot out the audio

Your receiver should have some RCA audio out or headphone jack (most do).

The headphones above have a RCA and mini headphone (3.5mm) connector. So you can connect them to either your receiver (audio out or headphone jack) or direct to the WD via RCA. The WD Live doesn't have direct RCA connectors--so if you want to connect directly to the WD Live, you would have to use their RCA adapter cable plus some RCA couplers. The wireless transmitter is USB powered--so that part will have to be plugged into the the WD, or to the receiver (if your receiver has a USB Port).

Those above headphones are not your only option. There are many other wireless headphones out there. It's just that the Xtreamer one is designed with media players in mind (with the USB-powered transmitter--so there is no AC adapter needed).
post #5 of 6 Old 08-01-2010, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter

Man this looks to be a perfect solution for me, if only i had a way to switch the volume, my receiver doesnt have aux out or rca out. this is the receiver im using

http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-YHT-S40...0719977&sr=8-1

if i could find something to manage the volume control i might get this. Get rid of all those cables in the bed.

Appreciate your help, now i know how it works.

I see theres a volume control on the headphones, wouldnt that work if connected directly to the wdtv?
post #6 of 6 Old 08-02-2010, 04:56 AM

Quote:

Man this looks to be a perfect solution for me, if only i had a way to switch the volume, my receiver doesnt have aux out or rca out. this is the receiver im using

http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-YHT-S40...0719977&sr=8-1

if i could find something to manage the volume control i might get this. Get rid of all those cables in the bed.

Appreciate your help, now i know how it works.

I see theres a volume control on the headphones, wouldnt that work if connected directly to the wdtv?

You are right! The headphones do have volume control on them!

I completely forgot about that--so that would solve your volume control problem!
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page