Goodbye TVeristy, Hello Mezzmo.. - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 61 Old 03-17-2011, 11:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I've been using it for about a year. Love it. It was the only one that could supply movie cover art for my ps3 and my LG BD390 no matter what type of file it was.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 61 Old 03-17-2011, 11:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustinF View Post

I've been using it for about a year. Love it. It was the only one that could supply movie cover art for my ps3 and my LG BD390 no matter what type of file it was.

Can it do lossless audio as lpcm like ps3 media server?
post #33 of 61 Old 03-30-2011, 11:05 AM

Liked: 10
I tried this but didn't have good luck. Maybe someone can tell
me what I did wrong

With Vuze all I do is drag the video to my Samsung BD-D6500
Blu ray which shows up on the left side of the screen. I have trancode
OFF. My Blue ray can handle MKV files. I go into the Blu ray menu,
select the video and I an watching it with no break ups.

When I tried this with mezzmo it would start the video, go for about
5 seconds then stop, then start again. If I shut the transcode off it would not
work with a message something in the line of not compatible.
Why should that be if my Blu ray can handle this format?

Ken
post #34 of 61 Old 06-12-2011, 09:57 AM

Tried Mezzmo on Win 7 after these rave reviews.

I found the GUI very slow but well organized.

I could add the same share directory many times over, it then proceeded to scan it again.
Maybe some safeguard should be put in so that you only add the same directory once.

(The share wizard does not show directories already added so it is easy to add the same directory again by mistake)

I could not find the setting to select which audio track I preferred. (language)
I could not make sub titles to work with srt present (ps3 media server can)

Streaming/transcoding to Panasonic Viera ST-30 worked decently (no practical fast forward though). Of course without subtitles it might not be so hard.

The problem I have with ps3 media server is the inconsistency. Sometimes it works and sometimes it falls through, and you have no idea why).

Mezzmo was more stable in this regard.

If I can get a free license to continue to evaluate mezzmo I will definitely keep it because it shows promise.

I have not yet decided to obtain a PS3 as a streamer only or to feel happy with the Viera ST-30. I have one on loan. With ps3 media server the PS3 have an advantage. But with the Viera mezzmo seems more capable.
So either spend $300 on hardware or $30 on software.. hmm..
post #35 of 61 Old 07-26-2011, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Can MEZZMO work with video scaler software to improve the PQ? i.e powerstrip

tony4k
post #36 of 61 Old 07-27-2011, 01:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I have been trying various DLNA servers. I saw this and installed Mezzmo to test out my ST600 while they get their Plex sw up to par. Mezzmo works fine, just as cifs/smb works. There doesn't seem to be any metadata at all, so what is the point?

philip
post #37 of 61 Old 09-21-2011, 08:05 AM

Dear All,

I thought I would take the opportunity to share my findings around mezzmo. I have for the last few months been looking to some hardware / software which would read from my readynas and transcode on the fly via DLNA to two network enabled panasonic vieria tvs (1x 50", 1x 32"). I have looked at many options e.g. WD TV HUB LIVE and other software options such as tversity, wildmedia server, and twonky. Whilst all of these products played part of the role I was after, I finally stumbled accross Mezzmo and was pleasantly surprised at the ease of using the product e.g. with wild media server and other likewise products you invariably have to tweak and fiddle the different profiles you need to get the transcoding working, in the end I gave up with these products as I found them too complex to use on a regular basis. After installing the demo version of mezzmo it transcoded immediately without any faff around profiles to the panasonic tvs. all in all mezzmo in my experience seems to be the best transcoding over dlna product on the market. Now admittedly I have only been using if for 4 weeks, the first two week demo was on my laptop which in the end didn't have enough horse power (transcoding was jerky), so I built a small media server based on windows 7 and intel icore i5 processor and that now seems to have done the trip (trying to find the best CPU to work with Mezzmo was another feat of discovery!) - the only issue I have at the moment is that it seems if I transcode from my readynas through my media server onto the TV, with certain high def films I may loose sound or it may bomb out halfway through - if I copy those files to the media server they work fine - not sure if this is a mezzmo issue or my network - again will post if I have any updates!

Hope this helps some people who embark on the same journey - many a wasted evening doing research..... p.s. if anyone wants to give me a free license (if such a thing exists) I would be more than happy to accept - as my time limited demo is about to run out on the media server so I need to purchase anyway!
post #38 of 61 Old 09-21-2011, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

@jcake2000

I bought Mezzmo and a variety of other DLNA servers. The whole DLNA world is a mess and the lack of a reasonable GUI makes it even worse. For the life of me I can't see why people keep pushing that approach.

Philip
post #39 of 61 Old 09-21-2011, 11:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcd View Post

I have been trying various DLNA servers. I saw this and installed Mezzmo to test out my ST600 while they get their Plex sw up to par. Mezzmo works fine, just as cifs/smb works. There doesn't seem to be any metadata at all, so what is the point?

philip

I agree that DLNA is just too limited and clunky to be taken seriously. However, you might check out Serviio, which does provide limited metadata (e.g., genre, year) read from XBMC-style .nfos, if present.
post #40 of 61 Old 09-22-2011, 12:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsarver View Post

I agree that DLNA is just too limited and clunky to be taken seriously. However, you might check out Serviio, which does provide limited metadata (e.g., genre, year) read from XBMC-style .nfos, if present.

I ran it on my WHS for a while and then on a windows 7 system. I have standardized for the most part on XBMC type players and so I have .nfo files present for part of my collection. I never could get Serviio to show any kind of nice GUI. Genre and year is better than nothing but that is still quite basic. Perhaps they have improved? The least one would want is something like Oversight on the C200 or better still YAMJ. DLNA is just strange. I am trying to like it, but it's very hard. It's as though the powers that run DLNA don't want it to be nice. In any case it's hardly reliable. I wish some DLNA server software would just should some screenshots that indicate why someone should pay money for it. I do know that Serviio is free. It did work with My LG ST600, as does Mezzmo. I get what looks like a WDTV interface or worse.

It seems that if audio is not an issue, as in my case where I run analogue audio with a Bose Cinemate system, then LG has Plex working on their TV's. Hard to beat that interface. Also, the Netflix interface is quite nice.

4 times the price of a PCH-C200. It's still tempting.

philip
post #41 of 61 Old 09-22-2011, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcd View Post

. . . I never could get Serviio to show any kind of nice GUI. Genre and year is better than nothing but that is still quite basic. . . . DLNA is just strange. I am trying to like it, but it's very hard. It's as though the powers that run DLNA don't want it to be nice. In any case it's hardly reliable. . . . I get what looks like a WDTV interface or worse.

I doubt that DLNA will ever be what we'd like it to be. It was designed to provide feature-checkbox connectivity for a wide variety of dumb, low-powered devices like DVD players. It seems to have been specified by consumer electronics rather than computer/networking people. The former have only very vague ideas about media available on the other side and what kind of resources are realistically required to actually exploit them.

As for interfaces, even the IT-side geeks designing expensive, high-powered, purpose-built media player hardware overlooked the need for years. For example the native interfaces on DViCo's TViX M-6500A and Dune's Smart series are little more than file browsers (with or without thumbnails). Of course, even this is much more useful than DLNA's interminable lists.

Quote:

4 times the price of a PCH-C200. It's still tempting.

? You just lost me . . . .
post #42 of 61 Old 09-25-2011, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsarver View Post

? You just lost me . . . .

The price of the LG 55LW5600 Smart TV. with Plex.

Philip
post #43 of 61 Old 10-20-2011, 11:36 AM

Mezzmo does not allow url streaming at the time. Which means you cannot stream Youtube videos unless you are willing to download them to your computer and then use Mezzmo to watch them (which to me equals = waste of time).
post #44 of 61 Old 10-20-2011, 01:50 PM

Liked: 14
Shouldn't this shill-originated thread be locked? Glowing reviews from users with a post count of one or two? Come on. No matter how good it is, I'd never try this product, just based on the spammy advertising tactics.

Movies look their best when they look like movies. More Patton-esque remasters!

post #45 of 61 Old 10-20-2011, 09:06 PM

Liked: 11
The offer says you have to make a video testimonial/review - not post on a message board.

Regardless, not entirely sure how I feel about it.
post #46 of 61 Old 01-04-2012, 04:13 AM

You are right to doubt the quality of a company that pays for good reviews.

The software speaks for itself IF IT'S GOOD ENOUGH.

Bear these points in mind about Mezzmo (on my Windows XP):
  1. It is a DLNA server and works, has a free trial, so you can test it with your media devices.
  2. It does not rotate photos according to EXIF info - neither does Tversity, but where's theadvantage with Mezzmo?
  3. It thought my HD LG TV was an LG Blu Ray
  4. It only rendered photos at 640x478.
  5. It ignored a folder containing TV transport streams (mpg and ts files). This was one that Tversity played at the wrong aspect ratio, but Mezzmo ignored it completely.
  6. You MUST BE AN ADMINISTRATOR to run the application.
  7. It installs itself as a service on Windows for every user account that wants to use it.
  8. Each USER has their own settings - if the service does not run as the individual user, it won't see those settings, so you cannot set it up with any shared settings without some serious hacking in the registry, or compromise.
  9. The UI is slow, my PC locked up a few times while it scanned and I clicked on things in the UI.
  10. The UI looks nice, but do you want to set it up over and over for every user in your household separately?
  11. I chose a different account to run the service than the one I used to edit the settings and found out the hard way how this weird, confused application works.

Some nice ideas in this software, but I hate GUI apps written with flaws and security holes.

They need to decide what they are trying to do, and then implement it properly. Believe me, everything they want to do is possible, but you need to know a bit about Windows to do it properly. Programmers like this can be dangerous because they take the easy route and cut corners and security.

It's useless for me because all the users in our house run as restricted users, we only use the admin account to set the computer up. I didn't want to run Mezzmo with this admin account, but had to. So it's running just like any other media server, on a single account which locates everyone's media and serves it up to the TV.

In my view it is not better than TVersity, and I am much more resolved to tinkering with Tversity until I get everything working the way I want.
post #47 of 61 Old 01-04-2012, 08:46 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I gave it a try...... on my Dune Prime all .mkv files show as .mpg and refuse to play. (Format not supported error). Accessing them through a different dlna server shows them as .mkv and they play. Just took it straight off again..
post #48 of 61 Old 01-05-2012, 08:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked: 464
I gave Mezzmo a try also last night on an XP machine I'm trying to make into a DLNA server. So far I have just done the stock installation with no additional configuration or tweaking of the devices.

Results:
  • All devices immediately found it and displayed the BD.m2ts files in the folder I added to the Library.
  • WDTV Live+ and WDTV Live-SMP -- won't play the BD.m2ts files; reports that format is not supported. Of course these play just fine using the DLNA server on my NAS.
  • Panasonic DMP-BD75 BluRay player -- attempting to play any BD.m2ts file using Mezzmo immediately locks up the player with a blue-screen and requires me to pull its plug to power-cycle in order to recover control.

I'll play with it a little more to see what kind of device settings it has and if I can get it to work with all the devices. If not I'll flush it and it will join Serviio and TVersity in the trash bin, which are also failures for my collection of devices.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #49 of 61 Old 01-05-2012, 10:49 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 24
BritinVA helped me out when I first bought my new Samsung TV last Black Friday(2010). I had a huge issue with the Samsung DLNA software and I gave Mezzmo a try. It's been working great ever since and if you simply post on their forums or email support they often can fix whatever you need within days.

It's been a while since I've had much time to play with it, but unless it's gone downhill fast since, it's a great piece of software for me... I don't do anything REAL fancy with it but it provided a quality interface when I needed it.

Here is a thread with some more detailed posts about it: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...237704&page=25

If you are having problems with it not showing/working on your device let them know and they will create/fix the profile for you.

(not paid to use it or given a free copy)
post #50 of 61 Old 01-05-2012, 07:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

I gave Mezzmo a try also last night on an XP machine I'm trying to make into a DLNA server. So far I have just done the stock installation with no additional configuration or tweaking of the devices.

Results:
  • All devices immediately found it and displayed the BD.m2ts files in the folder I added to the Library.
  • WDTV Live+ and WDTV Live-SMP -- won't play the BD.m2ts files; reports that format is not supported. Of course these play just fine using the DLNA server on my NAS.
  • Panasonic DMP-BD75 BluRay player -- attempting to play any BD.m2ts file using Mezzmo immediately locks up the player with a blue-screen and requires me to pull its plug to power-cycle in order to recover control.

I'll play with it a little more to see what kind of device settings it has and if I can get it to work with all the devices. If not I'll flush it and it will join Serviio and TVersity in the trash bin, which are also failures for my collection of devices.

I played with Mezzmo more tonight by going into the settings. Turns out it got the ID of the three players wrong and assigned the wrong profiles. It had a profile for the WDTV Live+, which I assigned to both WD players, and a profile for a Panasonic DMP player for .m2ts files, which I assigned to the BD75.

Results:
  • The WDTV Live+ and Live-SMP played all BD.m2ts files perfectly. The players passed DD TrueHD and DTS core to my AVR. Worked just the same as they have when using the DLNA server on my NAS.
  • The Panasonic BD75 played all BD.m2ts files with DTS-HD audio perfectly and passed DTS-HD MA to my AVR.
  • Unfortunately, the BD75 stuttered badly when it tried to play any BD.m2ts file with a DD TrueHD audio track -- although it did pass the TrueHD to my AVR.
So far Mezzmo is the best of the software DLNA servers I've tried. No server I've tried has been able to get the BD75 to stream a DD TrueHD .m2ts files without stuttering. I'm starting to wonder if the problem is in the server software or the BD75. Anyway, I like it. I'm going to contact their customer support about the BD75/True HD issue and see if it can be resolved. If they can, I'll buy it.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #51 of 61 Old 01-10-2012, 08:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

So far Mezzmo is the best of the software DLNA servers I've tried. No server I've tried has been able to get the BD75 to stream a DD TrueHD .m2ts files without stuttering. I'm starting to wonder if the problem is in the server software or the BD75. Anyway, I like it. I'm going to contact their customer support about the BD75/True HD issue and see if it can be resolved.

Just to wrap up my comments. I've been working with one of the support guys on the Mezzmo forum (thanks for the tip NavySeal) and it looks like the BD75/TrueHD/stuttering issue is coming down to the inability of the Panasonic BD75 to stream/pass-through TrueHD over DLNA. No great loss since I only really wanted to use the BD75 to hear what DTS-MA sounded like -- I did and now I know that I can't hear the difference between DTS and DTS-MA which means I can stop fretting that my WD Live players don't pass DTS-MA. That said, Mezzmo is the best DLNA server software I've tried. I've gone through Serviio, TVersity and Twonky and all of them had huge problems of one sort or another that caused me to flush them pretty quickly.
  • Serviio will play all the DTS-MA .m2ts files on the BD75 but gives an "unsupported format" error on all the TrueHD .m2ts files and won't even play them. It does this for not only the BD75 but my other players as well (WDTV Live+ and WDTV Live-SMP). Mezzmo is far ahead in this case because it serves the TrueHD .m2ts files to all the players. The two WDTV Live players play the TrueHD .m2ts files perfectly without a hint of stutter and pass the TrueHD to my AVR. It's only the BD75 that has the stuttering problem.
  • TVersity is a train wreck. There must be something messed up in the profiles because the WDTV Live players report "unsupported format" for any .m2ts files (DTS-HD or TrueHD) and won't play anything. Worse yet, TVersity causes the BD75 to lock up with a blue-screen as soon as I push the play button. I have to pull the plug on the BD75 to power cycle it in order to regain control.
  • Twonky -- why bother, you get the picture.
Mezzmo is not free, but I don't have a problem paying $30 for a piece of software that works well -- especially once I've seen how all the freebee's bombed out in my system.

I did find one feature of Mezzmo that especially impressed me and, despite the BD75/TrueHD issues, is the reason I bought it. I'm running Mezzmo on a 9yr old XP SP-3 box with a 2.4 GHz single-core P4 and only 1GB RAM -- I did put a GigE network card in it. With Mezzmo I can add BluRay folders on my NAS units to the library and Mezzmo will stream them without stutter to my WD Live players. So Mezzmo is efficient enough to pull the BD.m2ts off the NAS to the PC and then send it back out to the players over the same line without stuttering -- on a stone-age vintage PC. None of the other servers I tried could do this. And, of course, I'm talking high bitrate BD.m2ts files in the 40 Mbps range. This will allow me to only deal with a single DLNA server that organizes all the BD.m2ts files instead of the separate DLNA servers on my NAS units.

So, I'm using it, I like it, it works for me, I bought it, I would easily recommend it. Don't let the quality of this software be overlooked or downplayed because of a couple posts by shills. That's pretty much all I have to say about Mezzmo, unless someone asks me a question.

- kelson h

post #52 of 61 Old 01-10-2012, 11:32 AM

I too am frustrated with the TVersity program. I'm going to try out Mezzmo tonight and see if it works. I run a Logitech Revue wirelessly from my PC upstairs. Some mkv files work, some don't. And some don't have sound.

But on the PC, through Windows Media Center, they play just fine.
post #53 of 61 Old 04-06-2012, 09:33 AM

No idea what my post count is until I hit "Post" here, I mostly just search avsforum for information and never really "give back" by posting.

The truth of the matter is that most software companies will extend a license in return for a review, Mezzmo just did the questionable practice of putting it in no uncertain terms on their site.

To play devil's advocate, it probably gets people to use their product. No one wants a free license of a crap product, so the reviews are probably genuine, if somewhat forced. The problem occurs when people are so giddy about getting something free that they don't write objective reviews, you see this with a lot of blogger sites.

I've used Mezzmo, PlayOn, PlayLater, and TVersity simply for the sake of writing a review rather than my personal needs. I've linked to my reviews, I'm working on TVersity at the moment. Mezzmo is far ahead of TVersity in many ways, the codec issues being the biggest one, but TVersity is even just less polished overall.

For playing internet content, PlayOn has worked the best in my opinion, but they've always had problems with local media. For local media Mezzmo works far better than any of the others that I've found, especially when going to something like a format finicky Sony TV.

EDIT: All only my opinion, so take it with a grain of salt. Looks like I at least have two digit post counts.
post #54 of 61 Old 10-05-2014, 05:13 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Mezzmo seems OK to me

I've used a bunch of DNLA servers and - within the severe limits imposed by the lameness of DNLA itself- it seems to work and to have been thoughtfully built. Here's what I've found:

1. It was easier to install and get running than the other DNLA servers I tried.
2. There are clients which I've installed on my Android tablets , these work OK.
3. Streaming DVD ISO's to my tablets, smart TV, blu-ray player and PCs works OK and is kind of plug-n-play
4. Streaming Blu-Ray ISO's didn't really work for me. YMMV. Could be a limitation in my Panasonic TV
post #55 of 61 Old 10-05-2014, 06:38 AM

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillMilosz View Post
I've used a bunch of DNLA servers and - within the severe limits imposed by the lameness of DNLA itself- it seems to work and to have been thoughtfully built. Here's what I've found:

1. It was easier to install and get running than the other DNLA servers I tried.
2. There are clients which I've installed on my Android tablets , these work OK.
3. Streaming DVD ISO's to my tablets, smart TV, blu-ray player and PCs works OK and is kind of plug-n-play
4. Streaming Blu-Ray ISO's didn't really work for me. YMMV. Could be a limitation in my Panasonic TV
If you have ANY issues with Mezzmo, e-mail them for support or just post your experience in the chat forum. They will get back to within 24 hours. Their support is better than any company I have ever experienced.
post #56 of 61 Old 10-05-2014, 12:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Streaming .ISO files is not part of the DLNA function set so you can't blame a DLNA server for not doing it. That being said, Mezzmo has implemented .ISO support for DVD on their server. The program reads the DVD.ISO and extracts the main title into a DLNA streamable file. Unlikely they will be able to do the same for BD.ISO because of the complexity of BD menus and licensing agreements that would require Mezzmo to cripple other parts of their server.

- kelson h

post #57 of 61 Old 10-05-2014, 05:25 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Mezzmo CAN stream Blu-Ray .ISO's

Mezzmo does stream the Blu-Ray ISOs I put on my server to my Android tablets just fine, and to my PCs. My Panasonic Viera TV has some kind of codec issue; I get the picture but no sound from a Blu-Ray ISO streamed through Mezzmo. The Mezzmo support on their forum said it could an issue I could solve by changing the transcoding settings or pre-transcoding the ISO. Blu-Ray ISO's take up so much room, however, that for now I am not going to pursue the matter, I'll see how much storage space I have left over on my 7 TB disk array once I've stored all my ordinary DVDs.
post #58 of 61 Old 10-05-2014, 09:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Mezzmo does stream the Blu-Ray ISOs I put on my server to my Android tablets just fine, and to my PCs.
Well that's a new one. The last time I tried was several versions ago. I'll have to play with it again.

- kelson h

post #59 of 61 Old 10-05-2014, 09:58 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Mezzmo Rocklkkkksss ! Seriously I was using PLEX and SERVIO just before until I tested Mezzmo.

1) Very solid performance Video quality and Streaming performance wise.

2) PLAYS BD ISO and BDMV, 3D BD ISO and extract the movie in different parts if there is more than 1 track

3) DLNA is perfect : Stream everything to anything. It auto-detect your device

4) you can adjust the streaming performance depending of the source : 1 Gbps for Ethernet, 600 mbps for Strong Wireless Router

5) Play every file you throw at it !

Blows out of the water PLEX !!!
post #60 of 61 Old 10-05-2014, 10:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wireless Hd View Post
Mezzmo Rocklkkkksss ! Seriously I was using PLEX and SERVIO just before until I tested Mezzmo.

1) Very solid performance Video quality and Streaming performance wise.

2) PLAYS BD ISO and BDMV, 3D BD ISO and extract the movie in different parts if there is more than 1 track

3) DLNA is perfect : Stream everything to anything. It auto-detect your device

4) you can adjust the streaming performance depending of the source : 1 Gbps for Ethernet, 600 mbps for Strong Wireless Router

5) Play every file you throw at it !

Blows out of the water PLEX !!!
Apparently, I won't get my free license since, I had bad luck with Mezzmo. However, I didn't mind paying $75 dollars for a lifetime membership for Plex. I only use it to stream wireless to my kids and wife iPads. I also use it to stream out of network, and it works great.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page