SqueezePad - The first dedicated Squeezebox iPad controller - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 08-02-2010, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 78
I just discovered this app a few days ago, and thought it was cool. Then I had some guests over this weekend, and realized how very superior it is to the other controller options I have used in the past for the Squeezebox ecosystem at our home.

Here is my forum-style review. Yes, I am in the honeymoon fanboy stage. That will wear off of course, but it still won't change the fact that I have tried every control option for the Squeezebox ecosystem and think this one is superior for everyday use.

Note that the one problem with the UI is a learning curve piece: To get back out to the main menu on the left you have to swipe along the top of the menu. There is no home button and swiping any place other than the top of the menu on the left doesn't work. This isn't a bad system but it took me a minute to figure it out.

Quote:

One of the things that sets systems like Sooloos or Sonos apart from the Squeezebox environment is a better user interface, especially if one doesn't want to use a computer. There is the dedicated LCD remote that Logitech makes that is pretty nice, but it's a couple hundred bucks, and has a tiny screen.

There have been a couple of iPhone apps that are good. iPeng is one. But with the arrival of the iPad, the opportunities for a super nice, super easy, uncluttered controller have been greatly expanded.

And the news is good. For ten bucks, the new Squeezepad app is really really nice. I use it as my exclusive control for an ecosystem consisting of a SB3, two of the headless units, a Boom, and a slave software emulation on a PC.

If you have a squeezebox and ipad and want a great remote control, I recommend it. Here is what I wrote in my review:

Quote:

I have friends who have spent hundreds of dollars on fancy controllers and servers for their music collection. I went the simple and thrifty route, and set up a system basic on the logitech / squeezebox / slimdevices environment. If you have a squeezebox, even if you have the duet controller, you owe it to yourself to buy this app!

Giant cover art, easy browsing and searching, great support for plug ins. This thing is the life of the party. For $10 you are getting an interface similar to the thousand dollar Sooloos interface, or the several hundred dollar Sonos interface except, wait, this one is better. Unlike Sonos, this controls a more open system, with a bigger screen and easier interface. Unlike Sooloos, this one can move around the house with you. (Yes I know you can add a ipad app to the Sooloos and Sonoa if you have already spent the hundreds or thousdands on their system. Remember, this app is $10!)

I've been struggling using the web interface to control my squeezeboxes. And I've been struggling with pixel doubling the iphone version of ipeng. Box work sort of. But SqueezePad is faster, more reliable and looks better than those apps.

What's missing? Well, a more advanced robust search option would be great. A pure cover flow option would be nice. But really, most of what is already enabled on the server works in this snappy app. And it works fast and looks much better than any SB world alternative.

This is the new king on the block and the one to beat! Buy it before the secret gets out and the developer realizes he could charge $30 for it :-)

Here are some of the official screen shots from the app description.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 08-02-2010, 08:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

More screenshots. Sorry, having trouble with the orientatuon of my screen shots.
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL

post #3 of 15 Old 08-03-2010, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Cool stuff. Can't wait to try it out

Sean
post #4 of 15 Old 08-03-2010, 09:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Please post your impressions once you try it. We need to balance put my fanboyism. Or add to it.

There is also a thread over at logitech's slimdevices forum where the developer hangs out, answers questions and entertains suggestions about what features to add next.

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=80553

post #5 of 15 Old 08-06-2010, 11:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean_w_smith View Post

Cool stuff. Can't wait to try it out

Sean

Curious to know what you thought.

post #6 of 15 Old 08-12-2010, 11:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Anyone else give it a go?

post #7 of 15 Old 08-26-2010, 12:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
I posted in the Squeezebox Touch thread but the app for the iPad is awesome. I have over 90k songs on an external hard drive on my pc. So with streaming from the pc the app performs very well. As of now I have had no problems or hang ups. I've tried everything to include searches, building playlists, etc., and no problems. I'm outdoors on the patio listening to my outdoor speaks and with this kind of convenience I'm extremely happy. Install and setup was a breeze also.

Click the link to see pics of my home theater

http://s450.photobucket.com/albums/q...oom/?start=all
post #8 of 15 Old 09-22-2010, 03:30 PM

Hi there !

I'm the author of SqueezePad and just wanted to let you know, that with the latest release I put much effort into changing the looks of SqueezePad completely
Now it should make even more fun to control your Logitech Squeezebox on your iPad.

Gone are the times of a blueish background ... we now have a very polished looking dark theme (see the attachment).
Also the usability problems mentioned on the first post have been solved in the meantime.

If you want to know more don't hesitate to come over to my website (www.squeezepad.com) or watch a small introduction on YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xc1TqeUJlC4)
LL
LL
LL
post #9 of 15 Old 09-22-2010, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 295
I might get interested when the Mini comes.

CD

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
post #10 of 15 Old 09-23-2010, 03:45 AM

'the Mini' ? What's that ?
post #11 of 15 Old 09-23-2010, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeezepad View Post

'the Mini' ? What's that ?

I'm sorry; isn't that what they've taken to calling the smaller version coming out next year? Or is it iPad2?

For me, the iPad is too big for music, or even HT control. OTOH, the smaller version could be "just right".

CD

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
post #12 of 15 Old 09-23-2010, 08:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post

I'm sorry; isn't that what they've taken to calling the smaller version coming out next year? Or is it iPad2?

For me, the iPad is too big for music, or even HT control. OTOH, the smaller version could be "just right".

CD

There has been speculation of a smaller iPad, an iPad with a facetime camera, etc.

However, Apple has said nothing and there are no leaked documents, etc, that prove what is coming out next year.
post #13 of 15 Old 09-23-2010, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post

There has been speculation of a smaller iPad, an iPad with a facetime camera, etc.

However, Apple has said nothing and there are no leaked documents, etc, that prove what is coming out next year.

Oh come on; I don't even follow this iStuff and even I've seen a lot of the smoke. In this case, don't you think where there's this much smoke, there's fire?

Plus, it just makes sense; IMO, the iPad is too big for certain applications.

CD

post #14 of 15 Old 09-23-2010, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

There is a small iPad, it's called an iPod Touch.....

...though I agree, something between the two would be fun.

Of course, with Squeezpad on the iPad, with a few plug ins, you essentially have the control interface of a Sooloos.

I like having that big a screen since I like to pull up the album reviews and artist bios etc.

post #15 of 15 Old 09-23-2010, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post

There is a small iPad, it's called an iPod Touch.....

...though I agree, something between the two would be fun.

Of course, with Squeezpad on the iPad, with a few plug ins, you essentially have the control interface of a Sooloos.

I like having that big a screen since I like to pull up the album reviews and artist bios etc.

That's a nice point; I would like to as well, but as you said...not so practical currently.

I was going to say that if I ever decided to use an iPad or MiniPad (as opposed to...no, we won't go there ), I could lose the Touch and go back to a Duet Receiver; then I realized, I would lose hi-res support. I wonder if Logitech will ever introduce a "bare-bones" receiver, ala the Duet, that supports hi-res...for those who don't need/want the touchscreen at the receiver (which I imagine is just about everybody...lol)?

CD

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page