post #271 of 10918 Old 08-23-2010, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by madpoet View Post

Arthur, just so you know in some states it is actually illegal to charge a card for a product that will not be shipped within 30 days (if this is shipping in the next 30 days then count me as a happy man!). And as mentioned above it is also a violation of Paypal's ToS. I'm not going to cancel my order because I trust you guys to fulfill it, but you need to talk with your shopping cart guys about how to fix that. Would hate for you to get in trouble.

Yeah Arthur, no offense...but this is like e-tailing 101.

CD

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 10918 Old 08-23-2010, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opentoe View Post

These days as TV's get larger and larger we sit further and further away. I'm thinking why buy the more expensive one with the LCD display? Not like you can see it clearly sitting 15 feet away, right? Are people buying the D1 just because of the LCD that you really can't read anyway? I can't remember the last time I needed to look at my Prime LCD.

Personally, I have had my components hidden (either behind a cabinet door, or in another room) for years now. Once you get over the notion that you have to be able to see your components to use them, it really opens up the options for setting up your living space.

Not to mention you don't need to worry about what your components look like (used a $20 htpc case in the past and now that low cost, fugly Dune is the one I'm interested in.)

At our house, we look at the screen and listen to the speakers, we don't really have a need to look at or listen to the components themselves.

-Suntan
post #273 of 10918 Old 08-23-2010, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Ok guys, please forgive my ignorance in media players and file ripping/storing/playback and the like. I think this player does what i want but let me share what i'm looking to do

1. I'd like to 'rip?' all of my SD DVD's to a storage device with full menu content instead of having to go to the media racks, scan and choose a title and then pop a disk i the player....major pain in the a&$.

2. I'd like to be able to access all of the titles using an on-screen interface sorta juke box style showing cover art and title details. I'd like to be able to sort the library by genre as i've got a lot of titles (600+)

3. I'd like to be able to play back this content upscaled to 720p using a DLP projector.

4. I'd like to be able to connect the audio playback to my system using an optical connection and Video via HDMI

5. I'd like to be able to control the device from my seat using my Harmony900

6. I'd like to NOT have my PC on to do all of this

Can these new Dunes due what i need? I hope so as i'd like to NOT have to build an HTPC and deal with all of the buggy hardware/software issues. My concern is the cost vs the HTPC as i can build an HTPC with 1tb storage for $600 but i'd part with the same for a Dune and a 'RELIABLE' stoarge device. It doesn't have to be a network type in my case does it? Some clarification of the basics here would be most helpfull.

The original plan was to build the HTPC and use XBMC as the front end but...

Thanx for the help. I've read some posts mentioning a similiar 'front end' or GUI....Are there several to choose from or should i expect more open source apps to be made available in the future.

If this is a go, i'll get ou of this thread and start posts on the individual points mentioned above as they don't specifically apply to the thread topic. I am really excited about the possibility of an affordable, flexible, expandable HD Video Jukebox though!
post #274 of 10918 Old 08-23-2010, 07:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem13 View Post

Ok guys, please forgive my ignorance in media players and file ripping/storing/playback and the like. I think this player does what i want but let me share what i'm looking to do

1. I'd like to 'rip?' all of my SD DVD's to a storage device with full menu content instead of having to go to the media racks, scan and choose a title and then pop a disk i the player....major pain in the a&$.

2. I'd like to be able to access all of the titles using an on-screen interface sorta juke box style showing cover art and title details. I'd like to be able to sort the library by genre as i've got a lot of titles (600+)

3. I'd like to be able to play back this content upscaled to 720p using a DLP projector.

4. I'd like to be able to connect the audio playback to my system using an optical connection and Video via HDMI

Can these new Dunes due what i need? I hope so as i'd like to NOT have to build an HTPC and deal with all of the buggy hardware/software issues.

Thanx for the help. I've read some posts mentioning a similiar 'front end' or GUI....Are there several to choose from or should i expect more open source apps to be made available in the future.

You will need to have a PC on to do the ripping (i.e you cannot rip via the Dune). You will need to have a PC on to create the jukebox (such as Zappiti or MyMovies. When it comes time for playback/accessing the jukebox you WILL NOT need to have a PC on, you will just need to have whatever machine is serving up your media on.

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

post #275 of 10918 Old 08-23-2010, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 66
I'm kind of glad I have agonized over the choice between a Dune Base or C200 now that these new Dune players have been announced. I can probably get by with the D1 and save some money although I kind of liked the full form factor of the Base.
post #276 of 10918 Old 08-23-2010, 07:58 AM
EVT
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

Can these new Dunes due what i need? I hope so as i'd like to NOT have to build an HTPC and deal with all of the buggy hardware/software issues. My concern is the cost vs the HTPC as i can build an HTPC with 1tb storage for $600 but i'd part with the same for a Dune and a 'RELIABLE' stoarge device. It doesn't have to be a network type in my case does it? Some clarification of the basics here would be most helpfull.

If this is a go, i'll get ou of this thread and start posts on the individual points mentioned above as they don't specifically apply to the thread topic. I am really excited about the possibility of an affordable, flexible, expandable HD Video Jukebox though!

Your requirements are rather modest. For the most part a WDTV Live ($100) will fulfill your requirements since you're only looking to do SD DVD. The only limitation is jukebox support. The factory firmware doesn't support a jukebox feature and the custom firmware has not been updated yet to support full dvd navigation (though I understand it will be updated).

My WDTV Live handles my DVD ISO's just fine at the moment but for the time being all I have is dvd cover art. I'm planning to move away from the WDTV live because I want full menu navigation for my blu-ray rips and the ability to output DTS-HD Master Audio, both of these features are not supported by the WDTV Live. However, in your case, if all you need is SD DVD support I would strongly consider the WDTV Live. Media Players are changing ever so rapidly so it's futile to try and future proof. If the WDTV Live can fulfill your needs for the next year you will then be able to get a New Dune with the updated Sigma chipset.

By the way, if you're only looking at about 600 DVDs you might be able to fit them on two 2 terrabyte drives which you can then attach locally to a WDTV Live thus totally eliminating the need for a PC.

Anyway, that's just my $.02
post #277 of 10918 Old 08-23-2010, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanx EVT.....very informative!

My BIGGEST problem with all of these devices is the lack of a classy, user friendly GUI and i'm willing to part with a few extra $$$ to get it. I've recently completed a dedicated home theater that gets a lot of use as of late from family and friends. I like the idea of a sharp on-screen remotely navigated GUI that guests can search,locate and playback something from my collection with little or no help from me.....

Now on the the on board SATA and external SATA capabilities of the Dune. Do i NEED a NAS device with processor power to 'run' a jukebox interface such as MyMovies or does the Dune come equipped with a jukebox front end already? The HP media servers seem like a simple, cost effective addition to the Dune as a total solution but if there's a simpler option i'm all ears.
post #278 of 10918 Old 08-23-2010, 08:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Thanx EVT.....very informative!

My BIGGEST problem with all of these devices is the lack of a classy, user friendly GUI and i'm willing to part with a few extra $$$ to get it. I've recently completed a dedicated home theater that gets a lot of use as of late from family and friends. I like the idea of a sharp on-screen remotely navigated GUI that guests can search,locate and playback something from my collection with little or no help from me.....

Now on the the on board SATA and external SATA capabilities of the Dune. Do i NEED a NAS device with processor power to 'run' a jukebox interface such as MyMovies or does the Dune come equipped with a jukebox front end already? The HP media servers seem like a simple, cost effective addition to the Dune as a total solution but if there's a simpler option i'm all ears.

The Dune does not come with a jukebox front end, it has a basic Windows Explorer-esque interface.

The HP Media Smart Servers are solid machines. I had the original EX470 which I eventually sold to build my own WHS machine (to date the person I sold the EX470 to still uses it daily to stream all is media). I also purchased for my dad and EX495 which has worked well.

Cheers,
Damian

post #279 of 10918 Old 08-23-2010, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Ok...so this sounds like a solid, cost effective solution to my problem...thanx!!

Damien, the MyMovies interface you linked to looks pretty sharp as does XBMC. I would imagine you can't run that on the Dune though can you? I would suspect that the remote codes for the Dune are or will be available for the Harmony remotes so i think i'm covered as far as UI control goes as well.

Now, since i'm only looking for 720p content and 5.1 DD/DTS sound will a hacked AppleTV running XBMC hooked up to a MediaSmart server do what i need as well?
post #280 of 10918 Old 08-23-2010, 08:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Ok...so this sounds like a solid, cost effective solution to my problem...thanx!!

Damien, the MyMovies interface you linked to looks pretty sharp as does XBMC. I would imagine you can't run that on the Dune though can you? I would suspect that the remote codes for the Dune are or will be available for the Harmony remotes so i think i'm covered as far as UI control goes as well.

Now, since i'm only looking for 720p content and 5.1 DD/DTS sound will a hacked AppleTV running XBMC hooked up to a MediaSmart server do what i need as well?

You can't run XBMC on the Dune. The Dune codes are in the Harmony Database (I have it set up with my Harmony remote). I just had to change around a few buttons, but works fine.

I have a hacked AppleTV (although I haven't turned on in a while). The MediaSmart server works fine for what you want, you would just simply access your media in XBMC over smb

Cheers,
Damian

post #281 of 10918 Old 08-23-2010, 09:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How does the Dune 3.0 prime stack up against these new models?
post #282 of 10918 Old 08-23-2010, 09:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techaholic View Post

Performance wise there should be no difference if that is what you mean?

Cheers,
Damian

post #283 of 10918 Old 08-23-2010, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 42
...but, I hope the stock UI is improved and less Windows 98 like.

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
post #284 of 10918 Old 08-23-2010, 09:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh View Post

...but, I hope the stock UI is improved and less Windows 98 like.

I would assume the stock UI is the exact same as the current models. Any enhanced stock UI I would think would come across all models in a future fw update

Cheers,
Damian

post #285 of 10918 Old 08-23-2010, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntan View Post

Personally, I have had my components hidden (either behind a cabinet door, or in another room) for years now. Once you get over the notion that you have to be able to see your components to use them, it really opens up the options for setting up your living space.

Not to mention you don't need to worry about what your components look like (used a $20 htpc case in the past and now that low cost, fugly Dune is the one I'm interested in.)

At our house, we look at the screen and listen to the speakers, we don't really have a need to look at or listen to the components themselves.

-Suntan

All Dunes are beautiful.
post #286 of 10918 Old 08-23-2010, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 314
Very little is ever written about the de-interlacing/up-conversion quality of these of players, but I suspect it is not at the level of a quality video processor -- my current media player certainly isn't. My needs are only for playback of my ripped DVD and BD collection (far and away, mostly DVD at this point) and I prefer to use other equipment to de-interlace and up-convert the DVD 480i video. I would be interested if the Dune players (current and these new ones) feature a native output mode for video so I don't have to manually set the output to 480i every time I play a DVD.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #287 of 10918 Old 08-23-2010, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

Very little is ever written about the de-interlacing/up-conversion quality of these of players, but I suspect it is not at the level of a quality video processor -- my current media player certainly isn't. My needs are only for playback of my ripped DVD and BD collection (far and away, mostly DVD at this point) and I prefer to use other equipment to de-interlace and up-convert the DVD 480i video. I would be interested if the Dune players (current and these new ones) feature a native output mode for video so I don't have to manually set the output to 480i every time I play a DVD.

This has been discussed several times already. The Dune doesn't have pass thru mode for DVDs (480i).
The Upconversion is very good, better than the PS3 but not as good as Oppo or XA2. I have the Denon 5308CI with Realta Scaler and tested it against the Oppo in Direct mode/Oppo Scaling and it was pretty close to my eyes.
The Dune holds it own with regard to DVD PQ.
post #288 of 10918 Old 08-23-2010, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackssr View Post

This has been discussed several times already. The Dune doesn't have pass thru mode for DVDs (480i).
The Upconversion is very good, better than the PS3 but not as good as Oppo or XA2. I have the Denon 5308CI with Realta Scaler and tested it against the Oppo in Direct mode/Oppo Scaling and it was pretty close to my eyes.
The Dune holds it own with regard to DVD PQ.

That's good to hear. I never thought the A-110 did a particularly good job of upconverting DVD rips.

CD

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
post #289 of 10918 Old 08-23-2010, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackssr View Post

The Dune doesn't have pass thru mode for DVDs (480i).

Too bad.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #290 of 10918 Old 08-23-2010, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

Too bad.

This used to be an issue for me as well, However, with almost all of my favs on BD now it is not as important as it once was. I purchased the Denon because of its scaler. I hardly use it(The Realta Scaler portion that is)) now due to the fact almost all content that I watch is 1080P native. I do de-interlace my HD Tivos with the Denon and it does a great job. As time goes on it will less of an issue as more catalogue titles become available on BD. I only have about 24 or so titles to go. ( Star Wars, Jurassic Park, ETC) and then my collection is complete. I only buy BD now as new movies are released.
post #291 of 10918 Old 08-23-2010, 02:42 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

We get it, it does not play gapless audio... Mike @ duneplayer has put in a request, and for now all you can do is consistently hound HDI to fix this and hope they are listening

No, you don't get it. There is no such thing as non-gapless Audio CD playback. I understand you are probably a kid that grew up with mp3s and couldn't care less about Audio CDs, but accept it.

HDI advertises Audio CD support and that's misleading advertising if not outright lie. I am just stating a fact.
post #292 of 10918 Old 08-23-2010, 03:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemat View Post

No, you don't get it. There is no such thing as non-gapless Audio CD playback. I understand you are probably a kid that grew up with mp3s and couldn't care less about Audio CDs, but accept it.

HDI advertises Audio CD support and that's misleading advertising if not outright lie. I am just stating a fact.

Lol, thanks for trying to make me feel young....but ummm there was no such thing as an mp3 when I was a kid and all my music I own are audio cds, I have never purchased an mp3... But like i said, thanks for trying to make me feel young....

My point was simply on this and the other Dune thread you point out the gapless audio issue, no problem with that at all. Mike from Duneplayer acknowledges that it has been mentioned to HDI and will be mentioned again. So all is good, and you should keep hounding HDI, but you don't need to keep responding to every comment on these threads with "Gapless audio is broken"

Cheers,
Damian

post #293 of 10918 Old 08-23-2010, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 77
I agreed Gapless is broken, we all know it, it's not an issue to the vast majority of users in the market for one of these players. No need to pop into threads and bring it up over and over again.
post #294 of 10918 Old 08-23-2010, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post

I agreed Gapless is broken, we all know it, it's not an issue to the vast majority of users in the market for one of these players. No need to pop into threads and bring it up over and over again.

WOW! What a difference a couple of weeks and cheaper models make! ... So much Dune Love here... I guess my love for Dune has spread to the far reaches of the AVS Kingdom. I guess I'll have to find another player to promote... My input is no longer needed.
post #295 of 10918 Old 08-23-2010, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Hey guys, I don't know if any of you have noticed, but when you play one of those optical music disc coaster things it pauses for a second or two between songs. I don't know what it's called, and I don't know if any of you have noticed it, but it skips for a second or two.

I think I'm just going to go back to playing MP3s...

-Suntan
post #296 of 10918 Old 08-23-2010, 07:48 PM

the dune prime plays cd's? Wow, you learn something new every day. If I had not ripped every single thing I own to hard drives, I might actually care...
Where is my Dune MAX???!!!
I want it now! (even though I know it won't be any different than my base...
Chris
post #297 of 10918 Old 08-23-2010, 08:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techaholic View Post

If you hide the player you most likely wouldn't know the difference between any of them. All sharing the same chipset and firmware.
post #298 of 10918 Old 08-23-2010, 10:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

I would assume the stock UI is the exact same as the current models. Any enhanced stock UI I would think would come across all models in a future fw update

Where have we heard that before. There are no MKV media players with a decent GUI out of the box. The PopBox was supposed to be one and the Boxee Box might deliver one but I really doubt that 99% of the public wants to deal with setting up and maintaining a jukebox. That presumably is why they are willing to pay more for anyone who will. Apart from Boxee I can only see MS and/or Apple doing that. Apple of course will push a streaming version with almost no local playback. As for MS, I don't know what is wrong with them. They have the pieces but they seem to be in some kind of trance.

Hmm... just noticed a new firmware for the C200. Maybe they are getting their act together...

Whoops, forgot. A.C. Ryan seems to be trying to do something about the interface situation. The rest, and that includes HDI, are delivering BMW's with wooden chairs.

philip
post #299 of 10918 Old 08-24-2010, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidmetal View Post

Looks cool, but not for $400 bucks!!!!

Did some searching and Ceton only works with windows 7, so it doesn't seem like we will see a all in one DVR/media player (unless you build a custom htpc).
post #300 of 10918 Old 08-24-2010, 04:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcd View Post

Where have we heard that before. There are no MKV media players with a decent GUI out of the box. The PopBox was supposed to be one and the Boxee Box might deliver one but I really doubt that 99% of the public wants to deal with setting up and maintaining a jukebox. That presumably is why they are willing to pay more for anyone who will. Apart from Boxee I can only see MS and/or Apple doing that. Apple of course will push a streaming version with almost no local playback. As for MS, I don't know what is wrong with them. They have the pieces but they seem to be in some kind of trance.

Hmm... just noticed a new firmware for the C200. Maybe they are getting their act together...

Whoops, forgot. A.C. Ryan seems to be trying to do something about the interface situation. The rest, and that includes HDI, are delivering BMW's with wooden chairs.

philip

Wow, you got all that from my one comment

Cheers,
Damian

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Dune Hd Smart B1 1080p Media Player
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page