post #361 of 10917 Old 08-25-2010, 07:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

Yes in the 90's and early 2000's I was upgrading my PCs to the top of the line components every 4 to 6 months. I still can't believe all the money I put into it. But at the time I loved PC gaming alot more than console gaming(well I did like some of the nintendo games back then). Plus I fell in love with online multiplayer gaming with the descent games. But once I got the 360 in 2005, that all changed. With good games, easy online multiplayer, etc. And now I only get passively cooled video cards. And have no desire to go back to PC gaming.

Don't you miss the control of Mouse/Keyboard setup and the sharp/crisp graphics? Do you remember Doom,Duke Nukem 3D,Mech Warrior 2, Falcon 4, Deus Ex,Quake, Quake 2, Unreal,Halflife, Farcry, Doom3, Crysis, etc...All broke new ground with each release. They pushed the envelope. The Consoles are stale already and the control is horrible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 10917 Old 08-25-2010, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

Is Duneplayer still the only place taking preorders for the new Dunes?

I think Duneplayer is the only one bringing them in. I have read of no one else getting the first shipment.
post #363 of 10917 Old 08-25-2010, 07:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRT View Post

Nontheless, I'll wait for a unit that doesn't generate this kind of push back BEFORE it even hits the market!

Huh, what are you talking about

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

post #364 of 10917 Old 08-26-2010, 05:48 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackssr View Post

Don't you miss the control of Mouse/Keyboard setup and the sharp/crisp graphics? Do you remember Doom,Duke Nukem 3D,Mech Warrior 2, Falcon 4, Deus Ex,Quake, Quake 2, Unreal,Halflife, Farcry, Doom3, Crysis, etc...All broke new ground with each release. They pushed the envelope. The Consoles are stale already and the control is horrible.

After almost five years of using the 360, using a keyboard/mouse for a game is foreign to me now. Of course prior to the 360, it was the opposite.
But I don't miss it. Plus I would probably have issues because of my progressing arthritis. The 360 controller is the only one I can use and play for several hours with few issues. Just 10 minutes with the PS3 controller makes my hands start to ache badly. An hour with the 360 controller and my hands feel nothing like the 10 minutes with the PS3 controller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackssr View Post

I think Duneplayer is the only one bringing them in. I have read of no one else getting the first shipment.

thanks.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #365 of 10917 Old 08-26-2010, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

Huh, what are you talking about

I was going to ask the same thing, but decided to take a pass. But what does "push back" even mean?

CD

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
post #366 of 10917 Old 08-26-2010, 11:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post

I was going to ask the same thing, but decided to take a pass. But what does "push back" even mean?

CD

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Between some of the posts on this thread as well as the "Oppo BDP-83 vs. other blu-ray players" thread, I'm convinced some people have no concept of how to actually convey through words what they're thinking.

It's so bizarre how often you see posts full of words, but nothing is actually SAID. Drives me nuts...

Chris

Epson 5020UB (won on AVSForum!) on Elite Sable 16:9 100", Oppo BDP-83 & 93 (ISO firmware), Dune HD Base 3.0, Darblet, Sony MDR-DS7500 Wireless Surround Headphones & Onkyo TX-SR707
post #367 of 10917 Old 08-26-2010, 12:52 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I still use my Toshiba HD-A30. Almost 3 years old and my only DVD player. That thing has played almost everything I feed it. There has been only 1 disc from NF that it was unable to play. No skips and maybe 2 or 3 lockups. My NF subscription is 3 out at a time. Great player. Probably keep it for 1 more year.

Now back to thread topic.
post #368 of 10917 Old 08-26-2010, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

Very little is ever written about the de-interlacing/up-conversion quality of these of players, but I suspect it is not at the level of a quality video processor -- my current media player certainly isn't. My needs are only for playback of my ripped DVD and BD collection (far and away, mostly DVD at this point) and I prefer to use other equipment to de-interlace and up-convert the DVD 480i video. I would be interested if the Dune players (current and these new ones) feature a native output mode for video so I don't have to manually set the output to 480i every time I play a DVD.

Native output is a primary concern for me as well. I'm really hoping it gets added.

Having used Syabas products for quite some time, I think it's time for me to try something different. I'm a bit sick of the constant tweaking. There is talk of adding native output to the C-200 ... if that comes to pass, I will stay with it. If not, I'll consider switching. And if it hits the Dunes, I'll definitely switch.
post #369 of 10917 Old 08-26-2010, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 77
I was under the impression that the Dune players were already 'source direct' capable... setting their output to the correct one for a given file, 1080p/60, 1080p/24, etc.
post #370 of 10917 Old 08-26-2010, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

OK, so the next question is has this been submitted as a bug?

FYI - not trying to be difficult, I know I have been guilty of coming across a bug but instead of submitting it I just gripe about it on the forum where it goes nowhere and never gets fixed.

I'm confused, what bug? WMA lossless is not advertised.
post #371 of 10917 Old 08-26-2010, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post

I was under the impression that the Dune players were already 'source direct' capable... setting their output to the correct one for a given file, 1080p/60, 1080p/24, etc.

I'm pretty sure it won't switch to 480i output when you then select a DVD ISO, etc.

As far as I know, you pick an output resolution and everything is scaled/deinterlaced to that res. The only thing that can be automated is framerate.

When I said native output, I should have been more specific. It supports native rate, but not native resolution. The latter being a requirement for me.
post #372 of 10917 Old 08-26-2010, 05:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raistlin_HT View Post

I'm confused, what bug? WMA lossless is not advertised.

That was the confusion some of the guys had, it wasn't clear

Cheers,
Damian

post #373 of 10917 Old 08-26-2010, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

I believe native resolution is a feature that is on the request list. This is something I want as well.
post #374 of 10917 Old 08-26-2010, 05:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That was the confusion some of the guys had, it wasn't clear

I guess I'm unclear why it wasn't clear It didn't say WMA Lossless, so why would someone assume it's there? That's like assuming something supports DTS-HD Master Audio because DTS is listed?

No biggie, I just wasn't following where the confusion came from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iansilv View Post

I believe native resolution is a feature that is on the request list. This is something I want as well.

It's actually # 2 in voting

http://dune-hd.com/features/
Quote:

Setup option to automatically adjust video output resolution [new] 3422 - (3%)

Guess we're not the only ones looking for it
post #375 of 10917 Old 08-26-2010, 10:24 PM

HD audio support is first, i'm confused, I thought it did that already- Two quick questions, does this have a GUI that is semi decent or easy to set up? something like popbox even if it doesn't scrape for content...2nd if I have two or 3 hard drives hooked up to my pc, then to this via ethernet, will it compile them into one share, or do I have to select each drive seperately....thanks! need something that works since I shipped the pbox back....bad experience, need hd audio too
post #376 of 10917 Old 08-26-2010, 11:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

(regarding automatic output resolution selection:

It's actually # 2 in voting

http://dune-hd.com/features/

Guess we're not the only ones looking for it

EVERYONE should click that link and vote for that one feature alone right now!

It's like 31st down from the top of the list.
post #377 of 10917 Old 08-27-2010, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hook13 View Post

HD audio support is first, i'm confused, I thought it did that already- Two quick questions, does this have a GUI that is semi decent or easy to set up? something like popbox even if it doesn't scrape for content...2nd if I have two or 3 hard drives hooked up to my pc, then to this via ethernet, will it compile them into one share, or do I have to select each drive seperately....thanks! need something that works since I shipped the pbox back....bad experience, need hd audio too

GUI is very basic out of the box but is very configurable. You only get the icons that you want.

You are able to combine drives into a single directory structure through your operating system
post #378 of 10917 Old 08-27-2010, 06:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlknez View Post

GUI is very basic out of the box but is very configurable. You only get the icons that you want.

You are able to combine drives into a single directory structure through your operating system

Also, if you use a jukebox (such as Zappiti or MyMovies) it will combine media spread out across multiple drives

Cheers,
Damian

post #379 of 10917 Old 08-27-2010, 08:04 AM

Thanks, I had major trouble getting popbox to find my shares, how difficult would you say setting up a jukebox is to work w/ Dune? Can I set up Mymovies before getting dune to see how it works?.....this will be my 2nd streamer after sending pbox back- Just want to confirm this should pass through HD audio, play back BD menus, everything the Dune base does right?
post #380 of 10917 Old 08-27-2010, 08:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Thanks, I had major trouble getting popbox to find my shares, how difficult would you say setting up a jukebox is to work w/ Dune? Can I set up Mymovies before getting dune to see how it works?.....this will be my 2nd streamer after sending pbox back- Just want to confirm this should pass through HD audio, play back BD menus, everything the Dune base does right?

Here is my writeup on setting up Zappiti, what you see on the PC will be exactly how the jukebox appears on the Dune:

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2010...-for-the-dune/

As far as mymovies you can set up but won't be able to actually test out until you get the Dune.

The DUne passes through HD Audio, BD Menus, etc. Here is my review of the Dune if it helps - http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2010...-media-player/

Cheers,
Damian

post #381 of 10917 Old 08-27-2010, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Here is my review of the Dune if it helps - http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2010...-media-player/

Great review! It pretty much sold me on Dune. I do have some questions though. I'm considering one of the Dune 'Smart' units - either the D1 or B1, but am unsure which to purchase.

I have a server, so local content isn't really a requirement of mine. However, coming from the Syabas world (I have a Popcorn Hour C-200 and cousin to the 110), having a local HDD/thumb drive made sense since there are useful apps that require local storage.

Not being familiar with the Dune 'scene', is there a similar situation here? If so, what kinds of apps are available? In such a scenario I would get a D1 and add a BE later. If the local storage isn't a requirement though, a B1 makes the most sense for me.

One alternative would be a D1 and a thumbdrive for apps. Is that possible? Are there performance issues?
post #382 of 10917 Old 08-27-2010, 10:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Great review! It pretty much sold me on Dune. I do have some questions though. I'm considering one of the Dune 'Smart' units - either the D1 or B1, but am unsure which to purchase.

I have a server, so local content isn't really a requirement of mine. However, coming from the Syabas world (I have a Popcorn Hour C-200 and cousin to the 110), having a local HDD/thumb drive made sense since there are useful apps that require local storage.

Not being familiar with the Dune 'scene', is there a similar situation here? If so, what kinds of apps are available? In such a scenario I would get a D1 and add a BE later. If the local storage isn't a requirement though, a B1 makes the most sense for me.

One alternative would be a D1 and a thumbdrive for apps. Is that possible? Are there performance issues?

You are going to want a thumb drive for system storage for several reasons:

- You need it to create shortcuts on the Main Menu
- I believe you will need it if you want some of the enhanced blu ray menu (bd live) features

I just have a 2GB thumb drive hooked up to the back of my dune USB port

As far as Apps I don't recall seeing any Apps, that is something the PCH does a better job in (Apps/online content). I am not sure if this is something that HDI is looking to develop down the road.

Cheers,
Damian

post #383 of 10917 Old 08-27-2010, 10:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

You are going to want a thumb drive for system storage for several reasons:

- You need it to create shortcuts on the Main Menu
- I believe you will need it if you want some of the enhanced blu ray menu (bd live) features

I just have a 2GB thumb drive hooked up to the back of my dune USB port

As far as Apps I don't recall seeing any Apps, that is something the PCH does a better job in (Apps/online content). I am not sure if this is something that HDI is looking to develop down the road.

Is that true for the D1 even if you install an internal HD?
post #384 of 10917 Old 08-27-2010, 10:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by generalhead View Post

Is that true for the D1 even if you install in internal HD?

Good question, I have never installed an internal hd so not sure. I would think you could use the internal hd for system storage but would want to partition it off for instance if you still want to use the internal hd for media storage (i.e once you set up a drive for system storage you effectively lose using it for other purposes). By partitioning it you would just lose a small portion of the drive to system storage but still have the remainder for media. Hopefully someone else can confirm this.

Cheers,
Damian

post #385 of 10917 Old 08-27-2010, 11:18 AM
TRT
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Will The Dune HD Max rip directly to its onboard HDD?
post #386 of 10917 Old 08-27-2010, 11:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRT View Post

Will The Dune HD Max rip directly to its onboard HDD?

The Dune does not do any sort of ripping, you would need to do that with a PC and appropriate software

Cheers,
Damian

post #387 of 10917 Old 08-27-2010, 11:32 AM

Great, thanks for the answers / info that zapatti GUI looks great if I can set it up, I'm sold after the popbox debacle- Final question...which one should I go with? It's going in a closet in the theater room, don't care what it looks like, and it's just to stream BD over ethernet from my pc/drives...no BD player needed- I'm thinking dune base or the newer one with the swappable drive slot....any considerations other than price?
post #388 of 10917 Old 08-27-2010, 11:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Great, thanks for the answers / info that zapatti GUI looks great if I can set it up, I'm sold after the popbox debacle- Final question...which one should I go with? It's going in a closet in the theater room, don't care what it looks like, and it's just to stream BD over ethernet from my pc/drives...no BD player needed- I'm thinking dune base or the newer one with the swappable drive slot....any considerations other than price?

Not factoring in price, I think the Base comes with additional 7.1 analog audio that you may or may not need (I don't need as I just rely on HDMI for audio). Functionally they should all function the same

Cheers,
Damian

post #389 of 10917 Old 08-27-2010, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

dbone1026,

Thanks for the responses. I guess I don't really need the D1 since the B1 can just use a thumbdrive for system needs..

Out of curiosity though, what sort of info is placed on the front display of the D1 (since it shares firmware, I assume it works like the Prime)? I'm just curious if there's a good reason for me to stick with the D1 anyway.
post #390 of 10917 Old 08-27-2010, 12:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

dbone1026,

Thanks for the responses. I guess I don't really need the D1 since the B1 can just use a thumbdrive for system needs..

Out of curiosity though, what sort of info is placed on the front display of the D1 (since it shares firmware, I assume it works like the Prime)? I'm just curious if there's a good reason for me to stick with the D1 anyway.

Good question, I think everyone is still waiting for that answer. I don't know off the top of my head what the display on the Prime shows as honestly I never look at it.

Cheers,
Damian

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Dune Hd Smart B1 1080p Media Player
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page