New Dune HD Max and HD Smart anticipation thread Q3 2010 - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #541 of 10963 Old 09-10-2010, 06:25 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Killroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Ninth Circle of Hell
Posts: 1,730
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 63
The Prime and Base were delayed several times over several months.
Killroy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #542 of 10963 Old 09-10-2010, 06:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
jmpage2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 10,053
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 77
If the player does not ship later this month I will be contacting Paypal about the early charge. It is up to the reseller to make sure that they are in compliance with policies from Paypal and other payment processors so that customers are not charged early on a long pre-order.

They could probably have their website fixed to handle pre-orders properly for a trivial amount of money and make it so that a pre-order can be placed but the charge isn't processed until the item is ready to ship out.
jmpage2 is offline  
post #543 of 10963 Old 09-10-2010, 07:28 AM
Member
 
McCabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 113
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
FWIW, A distributor at mpcclub.com posted that he "[j]ust had confirmation that my units are ready for collection."

http://www.mpcclub.com/forum/showthr...t=24954&page=2

This was in a thread about the Dune HD Max.

-Mike
McCabe is offline  
post #544 of 10963 Old 09-10-2010, 07:38 AM
Senior Member
 
elixxxer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 254
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I know I posted this before and apologize for sounding like a broken record, but can anyone confirm the ability to write/delete files to the internal hard disks over a network? This functionality will make my decision between the D1 or H1, because if I can't add and delete over the network, I want hot swap ability.
elixxxer is offline  
post #545 of 10963 Old 09-11-2010, 05:45 AM
Senior Member
 
dmoney94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: FLORIDA
Posts: 276
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by elixxxer View Post

I know I posted this before and apologize for sounding like a broken record, but can anyone confirm the ability to write/delete files to the internal hard disks over a network? This functionality will make my decision between the D1 or H1, because if I can't add and delete over the network, I want hot swap ability.

Do you work for Duneplayer.com?

Dont change the subjet,we are talking about preordes.

Thanks!
dmoney94 is offline  
post #546 of 10963 Old 09-11-2010, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member
 
georgeorwell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Wilmington, NC
Posts: 1,231
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoney94 View Post

Do you work for Duneplayer.com?

Dont change the subjet,we are talking about preordes.

Thanks!

Who put you in charge of this thread? It's a legitimate post....not sure if anyone has the answer, but it's a question about the products being discussed in the thread.
georgeorwell is offline  
post #547 of 10963 Old 09-11-2010, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member
 
CDLehner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Dark Side of the Moon-Right Side of the Bay, MD
Posts: 9,018
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Here I am, waiting anxiously on a pre-order again. I have officially started the transition from PCH/YAMJ to Dune/Zappiti...in anticipation of my D1...so I just sold my last, original A-110, which was the streamer in my HT. Even though I still have a BDP-S550 sitting up there, collecting dust, I just don't know if I can bring myself to spin a disc.

So I did move my PopBox up there, but of course that won't give me lossless audio (I guess I could go PCM for the time being). It's movie night tonight, so I'll have a decision to make.

I wonder if there'll ever come a time where I'll order a streamer, that's already been out a while...and all I have to wait on is the UPS guy? Come on D1!

CD

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
CDLehner is offline  
post #548 of 10963 Old 09-11-2010, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member
 
blackssr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: South Florida
Posts: 2,532
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoney94 View Post

Do you work for Duneplayer.com?

Dont change the subjet,we are talking about preordes.

Thanks!

No one works for DunePlayer except Mike and Arthur. This gets old real quick. I too have been accused of working for Duneplayer.com. What makes you think he works for them?
blackssr is offline  
post #549 of 10963 Old 09-11-2010, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member
 
CDLehner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Dark Side of the Moon-Right Side of the Bay, MD
Posts: 9,018
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackssr View Post

No one works for DunePlayer except Mike and Arthur. This gets old real quick. I too have been accused of working for Duneplayer.com. What makes you think he works for them?

Yeah Dmon, you missed the mark on this one my man. Dude was asking about the ability to write to the drives in the D1 vs H1...so he could make a decision on which to lean toward. How is that not appropriate in the Dune Smart series thread...and why would you think that meant he worked for DunePlayer?

CD

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
CDLehner is offline  
post #550 of 10963 Old 09-11-2010, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member
 
blackssr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: South Florida
Posts: 2,532
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post

Yeah Dmon, you missed the mark on this one my man. Dude was asking about the ability to write to the drives in the D1 vs H1...so he could make a decision on which to lean toward. How is that not appropriate in the Dune Smart series thread...and why would you think that meant he worked for DunePlayer?

CD

Huh? ??? I was referring to a previous post made by a member about another members question.
blackssr is offline  
post #551 of 10963 Old 09-11-2010, 10:08 AM
Senior Member
 
dmoney94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: FLORIDA
Posts: 276
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What i meant was, we all just spent $275 and our CC is being charge and we dont have any idea when this players are going to be ship.


I think Mike and Arthur should keep us in the loop of what is going and when we should expert this product to be ship.


(elixxxer) I didnt mean to disrespect your post.
dmoney94 is offline  
post #552 of 10963 Old 09-11-2010, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member
 
CDLehner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Dark Side of the Moon-Right Side of the Bay, MD
Posts: 9,018
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackssr View Post

Huh? ??? I was referring to a previous post made by a member about another members question.

Huh huh??? I was referring to his response to elixxxer; that is where all elixxxer did was about writing files to the D1 vs H1...and dmoney asked him if he worked for DunePlayer. I found it confusing too; and I don't know what you're talking about.

CD

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
CDLehner is offline  
post #553 of 10963 Old 09-11-2010, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member
 
CDLehner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Dark Side of the Moon-Right Side of the Bay, MD
Posts: 9,018
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Well, I just installed Zappiti...can you tell I'm anxious for the D1...and played around with the config a little bit. I have to say, as a longtime YAMJ user...I like the Zappiti "better"...so far.

I like the fact that the config is built into the UI, rather being separate folders and files "behind the scenes". Now I suspect it may not be as customizable...and in fact I'll next be looking into whether you can change any of the UI features, like opaqueness, etc. But if you're looking for something with a little more flash than the dreary stock UIs, and don't want to do all that maintenance behind the scenes...I like the way the Zappiti rolls.

Oh, it doesn't scrape very well on its own; I had to point a lot of files in the right direction, but I suspect that with some file-naming changes, that would be easily rectified.

CD

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
CDLehner is offline  
post #554 of 10963 Old 09-11-2010, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member
 
blackssr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: South Florida
Posts: 2,532
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post

Huh huh??? I was referring to his response to elixxxer; that is where all elixxxer did was about writing files to the D1 vs H1...and dmoney asked him if he worked for DunePlayer. I found it confusing too; and I don't know what you're talking about.

CD

I feel like I am on Candid Camera....Lets move on.
blackssr is offline  
post #555 of 10963 Old 09-11-2010, 01:31 PM
 
CCONKLIN1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Oswego IL 60543
Posts: 2,461
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post

If the player does not ship later this month I will be contacting Paypal about the early charge. It is up to the reseller to make sure that they are in compliance with policies from Paypal and other payment processors so that customers are not charged early on a long pre-order.

They could probably have their website fixed to handle pre-orders properly for a trivial amount of money and make it so that a pre-order can be placed but the charge isn't processed until the item is ready to ship out.

Or, instead of being an ass, you could simply contact duneplayer and ask for a refund?
Or is that too simple?
Why would you want to needlessly involve paypal, who would then have to contact Duneplayer, who would then have to contact paypal and you, then paypal would have to contact both of you again and so and so on.
If you have a problem with the order, drop them an email and ask for a refund!
CCONKLIN1 is offline  
post #556 of 10963 Old 09-11-2010, 01:49 PM
Member
 
djvitamind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 196
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post

Well, I just installed Zappiti...can you tell I'm anxious for the D1...and played around with the config a little bit. I have to say, as a longtime YAMJ user...I like the Zappiti "better"...so far.

I like the fact that the config is built into the UI, rather being separate folders and files "behind the scenes". Now I suspect it may not be as customizable...and in fact I'll next be looking into whether you can change any of the UI features, like opaqueness, etc. But if you're looking for something with a little more flash than the dreary stock UIs, and don't want to do all that maintenance behind the scenes...I like the way the Zappiti rolls.

Oh, it doesn't scrape very well on its own; I had to point a lot of files in the right direction, but I suspect that with some file-naming changes, that would be easily rectified.

CD

I agree as I love Zappiti too. Out of the 300 movies I have only 8 had to be edited. I am a freak when it comes to naming files though. Most were do to pulling the wrong info for multiple movies with the same name.

New upcoming features should fix that. From what I read it will look at info like years in your filenames.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

djvitamind is offline  
post #557 of 10963 Old 09-11-2010, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Killroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Ninth Circle of Hell
Posts: 1,730
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 63
I am finding that after 2000 titles, Zappiti gets way to slow to be functional. The app is taking almost 5 minutes to launch and the scan (which cannot be turned off) takes another 5 minutes. I love the way it handles TV episodes but the long waits is killing me.
Killroy is offline  
post #558 of 10963 Old 09-11-2010, 04:31 PM
Member
 
djvitamind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 196
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killroy View Post

I am finding that after 2000 titles, Zappiti gets way to slow to be functional. The app is taking almost 5 minutes to launch and the scan (which cannot be turned off) takes another 5 minutes. I love the way it handles TV episodes but the long waits is killing me.

that's my biggest complaint as well. I tend to export every few days and it's taken about 10 minutes each time. It feels like it is doing a full export. Would be nice if it only exported the new titles added.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

djvitamind is offline  
post #559 of 10963 Old 09-11-2010, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member
 
CDLehner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Dark Side of the Moon-Right Side of the Bay, MD
Posts: 9,018
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post

Asking companies to honor merchant agreements is being an ass? You apparently like getting walked on, but some people don't. Paypal has those agreements in place to protect their customers from exactly this kind of situation. You will find wide agreement across the inter webs that charging for an order long before it ships is considered bad form. You should be able to place your pre order, reserving your place in the order queue without being charged up front. Paypal agrees.

I understand what you're saying...and we've already discussed how it's not ideal. That being said, Mike from DunePlayer has come out and offered to refund anyone's money who's unhappy...which is the right way to handle it. So I think CConklin's point was why not take it up with them directly...rather than taking it to PayPal?

CD

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
CDLehner is offline  
post #560 of 10963 Old 09-11-2010, 08:40 PM
 
CCONKLIN1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Oswego IL 60543
Posts: 2,461
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post

I understand what you're saying...and we've already discussed how it's not ideal. That being said, Mike from DunePlayer has come out and offered to refund anyone's money who's unhappy...which is the right way to handle it. So I think CConklin's point was why not take it up with them directly...rather than taking it to PayPal?

CD

Exactly. Mike has already said this was a screwed up situation and anyone who wanted a refund would get one. WHY would you need to involve paypal? Just to "prove your point"? The only thing that would do is create needles work and aggravation for duneplayer, who has been nothing short of a total asset to this forum, and has bent over backwards to help their customers. ( and even non customers, I should add)
I love the "you apparently like to get walked on" comment as well! I totally agree that dune player is "walking all over on us" in this situation...
Best,
Chris
CCONKLIN1 is offline  
post #561 of 10963 Old 09-11-2010, 08:56 PM
AVS Special Member
 
dropzone7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 4,161
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 73
I don't understand preorders anyway. If the product is not yet available then why bother placing an order? This is not like an IPhone or something, I doubt that 99% of the planet even knows what a streaming media player is much less the Dune players. I bet there will be more than enough available to go around for everyone once the players are IN STOCK and ready to ship. Until then, why bother getting all bent out of shape over getting in line to buy something that is not yet available and worrying about your credit card being charged before it ships? Get a refund and wait like everyone else. Actually, I think a true "preorder" should take your money right away so you actually have a stake in the game to get your product as soon as it is available. At least a 50% deposit or something.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dropzone7 is online now  
post #562 of 10963 Old 09-11-2010, 10:19 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Perpendicular's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: California
Posts: 2,624
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post

I made this thread specifically to make sure that a thread existed with info (including ordering info) for the new players existed.

I've looked at many media player Threads with your input and I want to tell you that I really appreciate all the time you take to start Threads and to Post some very valuable information. Also, I've learned a lot from many others on AVS concerning media players and your informative Posts about the Dune players cannot be overstated. So, to all the contributers, thank you very much!!

OPPO BETA GROUP
Perpendicular is offline  
post #563 of 10963 Old 09-12-2010, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member
 
CDLehner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Dark Side of the Moon-Right Side of the Bay, MD
Posts: 9,018
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Hey, I've gone back and looked. For all the pretty screen-shots, has anyone gotten word about the remote for the new line of players; Smart and Lite 53D? Is the conventional wisdom they'll use the existing unit?

CD

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
CDLehner is offline  
post #564 of 10963 Old 09-12-2010, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member
 
CDLehner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Dark Side of the Moon-Right Side of the Bay, MD
Posts: 9,018
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post

Hey, I've gone back and looked. For all the pretty screen-shots, has anyone gotten word about the remote for the new line of players; Smart and Lite 53D? Is the conventional wisdom they'll use the existing unit?

CD

Ah...the Quick Start guide at dune-hd shows the layout of the remote. I assume this is the same unit as with the current models?

CD

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
CDLehner is offline  
post #565 of 10963 Old 09-12-2010, 07:04 PM
Super Moderator
 
markrubin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Jersey Shore
Posts: 22,888
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 358
carry on please: technical talk only

sorry for the interruption
markrubin is offline  
post #566 of 10963 Old 09-12-2010, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member
 
blackssr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: South Florida
Posts: 2,532
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post

carry on please: technical talk only

sorry for the interruption

Wow... 1 hour and no tech posts.... I guess if we don't argue we have nothing to say. Sort of like being married to an ugly woman!
blackssr is offline  
post #567 of 10963 Old 09-12-2010, 08:23 PM
Senior Member
 
dbrons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: La Costa CA
Posts: 211
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Everybody's probably getting nervous 'cause September's almost half over
Dave
dbrons is offline  
post #568 of 10963 Old 09-13-2010, 05:03 AM
 
CCONKLIN1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Oswego IL 60543
Posts: 2,461
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrons View Post

Everybody's probably getting nervous 'cause September's almost half over
Dave

Well, "technically speaking" we are not even two weeks into September...

Chris
CCONKLIN1 is offline  
post #569 of 10963 Old 09-13-2010, 03:41 PM
Senior Member
 
dbrons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: La Costa CA
Posts: 211
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:


Well, "technically speaking" we are not even two weeks into September...

Well, technically, I think the word "almost" covered it, 30 days has September and all.......

and btw while waiting for my Dune I found this NAS enclosure:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...&Sku=D700-2364

good deal, I think. I ordered a 2tb Caviar Black from Newegg to put in it.
dbrons is offline  
post #570 of 10963 Old 09-13-2010, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member
 
blackssr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: South Florida
Posts: 2,532
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrons View Post

Well, technically, I think the word "almost" covered it, 30 days has September and all.......

and btw while waiting for my Dune I found this NAS enclosure:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...&Sku=D700-2364

good deal, I think. I ordered a 2tb Caviar Black from Newegg to put in it.

I have this and the 323 model. They work OK if you enable Jumbo Packet on GB lan. The Dune does wake it on lan but they can only feed one Dune at time at about 8-10MB/s. They do take a while to load ISOs to them. I think max speed was around 12-14 MB/s so plan to wait and wait and wait and wait and wait. Cheap but mediocre performance at best. For reference a WHS will load ISOs at about 80-90 MB/s over lan and can feed 3 Dunes at once without issue. Save your packaging.:-).
blackssr is offline  
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Dune Hd Smart B1 1080p Media Player
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off