post #721 of 10979 Old 09-22-2010, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

I can't believe they actually say "..Transfers data at speeds of up to 1000Mbps**.. ". Then at the ** it says the link speed is 1000mbs.
I had considered power line adapters but since they can't be connected to a UPS they would serve no purpose since the connection would go down during a power outage. I want to be able to watch a movie, listen to 7.1 audio, surf the internet, etc, during a power outage.

There have been times when my wife and I were watching a movie in the theater room, doors closed and shut off from the world and there was a power outage. Unless the movie is at a particularly quiet point and I happen to hear the UPS kick over to DC then most of the time we never even notice until we finish the movie and walk out to flashing clock radios and microwaves in the rest of the house! The theater room is our own little secure bunker.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 10979 Old 09-22-2010, 01:31 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by josephmyates View Post

My Popcorn Hour A200 reads my External drives that I've formatted with APM (Apple Partition Map) - wondering if the new Dune Smart will read this format?

Can anyone comment on whether the Dune Smart will read HFS+ (non-journaled) formatted drives? Been using this disk format with the PH A200 - plugged in as external USB - works perfectly. This model and the C200 use the Sigma 8643 - which I understand is the same chip being used in these new Dune Smart boxes.

Considering getting the Smart H1 - and I have over 5 Hard drives (>1.5TB) that I would love not to have to reformat as NTFS!
post #723 of 10979 Old 09-22-2010, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVT View Post

To those thinking of trying Powerline adapters, be weary; they achieve nowhere near the stated performance. They're adequate for streaming standard def but completley inadequate for something like full blu-ray rips. I started off with powerline adapters to save the work of running Ethernet throughout my house, in the end, after trying several powerline products none of them were good enough to stream blu-ray rips. I do admit that the effectiveness of powerline devices are dependnet on your electrical wiring as well and while I don't have the newest electrical wiring it's only about 15 years old.

BTW, I've also tried a number of wireless N products. The moral of the story, save yourself the time and headache and run Ethernet from the get-go.

I have had success streaming mkvs(720p and 1080p) up to 10gb in size without any problems using netgear's 200mbps powerlines. Plugs on the second and third floor of the house work properly but the plug on the first floor can only receive HDTV mkvs( ave 1.5gb for 40 min show).
post #724 of 10979 Old 09-22-2010, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

I can't believe they actually say "..Transfers data at speeds of up to 1000Mbps**.. ". Then at the ** it says the link speed is 1000mbs.
I had considered power line adapters but since they can't be connected to a UPS they would serve no purpose since the connection would go down during a power outage. I want to be able to watch a movie, listen to 7.1 audio, surf the internet, etc, during a power outage.

Whole house Generator! This is must in Florida. The Idiots at FPL can not keep the power on for more then a week a time. During Katrina we had no power for 2 weeks.. Not me, I had hot water, AC and TV... all thanks to my Generator.
post #725 of 10979 Old 09-22-2010, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntan View Post

Just FYI, a lightening bolt doesn't care if it gets to your network through a plugged in modem or a plugged in powerline device. One is just as likely as the other to be a path.

It's all just low resistance, copper wire to a potentially damaging lightening bolt.

-Suntan

Yes, I was going to state this fact but I was tired of trying to get my point across and just gave up.

On another note, Poof!!

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #726 of 10979 Old 09-22-2010, 06:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
post #727 of 10979 Old 09-22-2010, 06:43 PM

Hi All!

We got the HD Max here now..

(We = recordere.dk, A Danish online magazine for consumer electronics)

We have already posted some articles at our website, and within the next days we'll do some thorough testing. Please let us know if we can help in any way.

Best regards
Lars Ladingkaer
recordere.dk
post #728 of 10979 Old 09-22-2010, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoney94 View Post

(Link to YouTube video of the HD Max unboxing)

Cool, thats my video from unboxing the HD Max here

Best regards
Lars Ladingkaer
recordere.dk
post #729 of 10979 Old 09-22-2010, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCONKLIN1 View Post

I thought we were talking about "surges" as in crap coming in from the power line, refrigerators, microwaves, etc...

Show of hands, who has ever heard of a piece of electronics being damaged by a "surge" from a microwave or refrigerator tunneling down a powerline thingy?

That's what I thought.

Anyway, quick look on Amazon says: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...V38FWGGK96QNFD

Assuming the output of those powerline things connect to your computer with a regular CAT5 cable... ...well, there you go.

Anyway, if they don't work, that's one thing. Sitting around afraid to even try them because you are terrified that your refrigerator might be a bully seems a little silly.

-Suntan
post #730 of 10979 Old 09-22-2010, 07:20 PM

Hi All!

Since we need three threads in this forum, before we can start publishing links to stuff about HDI Dune, I may as well take the time to introduce us.

Recordere.dk is a Danish online magazine covering consumer electronics. We have been around for quite a while, in terms of the internet. Born in the year of 2003.

In our part of the world we have grown to be the biggest site within Consumer Electronics, but compared to sites like CNet and Engadget we would be considered to be small.

But we do love electronics. Its our passion

Now we got the Dune HD Max here. Lets see what it does...

Best regards,
Lars Ladingkaer
recordere.dk
post #731 of 10979 Old 09-22-2010, 07:30 PM

Hi All!

We just received the HD Max here earlier today, shipped directly from Dune. But heres a few videos and pictures.

Best regards
Lars Ladingkaer
recordere.dk
post #732 of 10979 Old 09-22-2010, 08:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by recordere.dk View Post

Hi All!

We just received the HD Max here earlier today, shipped directly from Dune. But heres a few videos and pictures.

Best regards
Lars Ladingkaer
recordere.dk

Do you know when the MAX and Smart will start shipping from Dune?

Thanks!
post #733 of 10979 Old 09-23-2010, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoney94 View Post

Do you know when the MAX and Smart will start shipping from Dune?

No, I'm sorry. I don't know their plans for shipping the Dune products.

Best regards,
Lars Ladingkaer
recordere.dk
post #734 of 10979 Old 09-23-2010, 03:44 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm seriously thinking of dumping my PCH C-200 and getting the HD Max.
The PCH has given me fits in:

o Slow network performance

o YAMJ has been a pain with my library [3500 TV shows, 500 movies]

o Buggy firmware releases

o Cranky support on their forum

A few questions:

1) Looks like the HD Max does not come up with a blu-ray drive, right? If I don't have a blu-ray drive, can I still play the few blu-rips I have? (either ISO or straight rips)

2) Does it support lossless codecs in MKV (TrueHD, DTS-MA)?

3) Does it support chapters in MKVs? [I have the blu-ray menus so I just rip the main movie via MakeMKV]

4) I'll be connecting to both a NAS and a WHS - any issue with multiple shares? I use ludlums (sp?) shell on my PCH to mount multiple shares

5) It looks like mymovies is the way to go on the WHS - any issues with that managing content on the WHS and pulling from my NAS? Did anyone buy mymovies? Their pricing confuses the heck out of me

6) Lastly, worthwhile switch or should I keep my C-200?
post #735 of 10979 Old 09-23-2010, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macattackman View Post

1) Looks like the HD Max does not come up with a blu-ray drive, right?

The HD Max comes with a build-in blu-ray drive.

We'll get back to the media questions once testet

Best regards,
Lars Ladingkaer
recordere.dk
post #736 of 10979 Old 09-23-2010, 06:20 AM
AVS Club Gold

For anyone building out storage, Newegg has the Samsung spinpoint 2tb drives at a nice price point

Someday maybe I'll actually WATCH my projector...
post #737 of 10979 Old 09-23-2010, 06:31 AM

Been looking at Dune for some time. Seems like these new products would fit my needs. I have not set up NAS yet. Would like 4bay hot swappable with up to 8TB of storage. Does anyone have recommendations based on thier experience with the Dune products
post #738 of 10979 Old 09-23-2010, 07:09 AM

Hi All!

Trying to figure out whether or not the Dune HD Max can operate without the fan.

There is an option to turn the fan off in the menus, but its not recommended by Dune. I opened the unit to see what kind of electronics we are talking about. Ie. how much heat to expect.

Heres how it looks inside:

More pictures at: Dune HD Max inside

Best regards,
Lars Ladingkaer
recordere.dk
post #739 of 10979 Old 09-23-2010, 07:17 AM
Advanced Member

Cooling fan: meh.

At least they could have made it user defeatable for those who don't use internal drives.
post #740 of 10979 Old 09-23-2010, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemat View Post

Cooling fan: meh.

At least they could have made it user defeatable for those who don't use internal drives.

It is, but not recommended

-Mike
post #741 of 10979 Old 09-23-2010, 08:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCabe View Post

How?

Why would it be not recommended (at least for the Base 3.0), if Prime 3.0 does not have a fan at all?
post #742 of 10979 Old 09-23-2010, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by McCabe View Post

How far do you think that "not recommended" tag extends; do you think it voids a warranty? How would they even know? Do these things even have a warranty?? I have to tell you...never for a second, did I think if I was having a problem with my PCH's...you know, unless like it was delivered to me "broken"...would I have thought I could send it back to them for "repair".

CD

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
post #743 of 10979 Old 09-23-2010, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post

How far do you think that "not recommended" tag extends; do you think it voids a warranty? How would they even know? Do these things even have a warranty?? I have to tell you...never for a second, did I think if I was having a problem with my PCH's...you know, unless like it was delivered to me "broken"...would I have thought I could send it back to them for "repair".

CD

Mike@Duneplayer is great at warranty repair. I had a bad front display and within 3 days I had a replacement for my base. I think the new models have 2 years while my units have 1 year. Either way Duneplayer covered with no questions asked.
post #744 of 10979 Old 09-23-2010, 09:03 AM

Quote:

How?

Why would it be not recommended (at least for the Base 3.0), if Prime 3.0 does not have a fan at all?

I'm just repeating what is already in the above post #738 and in post #641. User defeatable through the menu, at least for the Max.

-Mike
post #745 of 10979 Old 09-23-2010, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post

How far do you think that "not recommended" tag extends

Don't know, but I hope it is just not recommended when an internal hard drive is installed.

-Mike
post #746 of 10979 Old 09-23-2010, 09:05 AM

Quote:

There is an options to turn the fan on/off in the setup menus.

Its not recommended, but right now I'm trying it anyway to see how hot it gets.

At the moment it has been running for 3 hours or more, and the temperature inside the unit has gone up to 37 degree celcius (99 degree fahrenheit). This is measured near the power supply, without an internal harddrive and without playing blu-ray or dvd.

Now I moved the temperature probe to another location, right above the units motherboard. This spot should be a bit cooler, I hope, because this means it should be fairly safe to turn off the fan

Best regards,
Lars Ladingkaer
recordere.dk
post #747 of 10979 Old 09-23-2010, 12:27 PM

Power supplies will always produce heat hence many of them have cooling fans that run constantly. However, depending on the power comsumption of the CPU and peripherals, you may have a small power supply that may just need simple heat sinks.
From what I can see on the pictures you posted, an optical drive will produce very little heat. Not sure on the CPU, but I did not see a heat sink on any of the ICs. However, the hard drive will produce quite a bit of heat and will reduce airflow due to reduction of volume. I think that is the reason why the fan is close to the HDD bay.
I would think that running this unit without a hard drive and fan off would be within reasonable heat levels. Of course this assuming there is decent airflow around it.

I wish I had more time to enjoy my gear
post #748 of 10979 Old 09-23-2010, 12:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by recordere.dk View Post

There is an options to turn the fan on/off in the setup menus.

Its not recommended, but right now I'm trying it anyway to see how hot it gets.

Good to know. That must be a new feature in one of the latest betas. None such in the latest stable firmware.
post #749 of 10979 Old 09-23-2010, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackssr View Post

Mike@Duneplayer is great at warranty repair. I had a bad front display and within 3 days I had a replacement for my base. I think the new models have 2 years while my units have 1 year. Either way Duneplayer covered with no questions asked.

Having a dealer like that is just as important as the player. I also have a great dealer up here in Canada and I would rather get a player from them than a slightly better one from a competitor. Getting service on these items is a real pain if you don't have a good dealer, and I don't think there are too many good one's out there.

Philip
post #750 of 10979 Old 09-23-2010, 02:00 PM

When I had the prime with a fan, I thought it was a bit noisy. I was able to find a super silent one with MORE airflow for less than $6 and I replaced it. It was plug and play and the new fan was inaudible and provided better airflow. I would rather spend the $6 than turn the fan off in my new Dune! I will see if I can find the model and number of it when I get home...
Best,
Chris
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Dune Hd Smart B1 1080p Media Player
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page