New Dune HD Max and HD Smart anticipation thread Q3 2010 - Page 252 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #7531 of 10916 Old 03-05-2012, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I don't know how some of you guys were able to stream blu-ray over the netgear MCAB1001 MoCA Kit ... I absolutely can't! I'm at a total loss here. After trying absolutely everything suggested over at the Actiontec MoCA thread ... I'm basically the EXACT SAME networking/bandwidth performance with the MoCA kit that I got from my D-Link 500mbps Powerline Adapters.

It baffles me -- I don't understand how you guys were able to stream Blu-ray over MoCA. I can stream everything up to like 20mbps without any issues ... MKV's, M2TS, etc. But I just can't get stutter-free playback on Blu-ray ISO. It starts off fine but within a few seconds it starts to stutter.

I can't imagine what's the bottleneck in my setup. I'm pretty much ready to pull all my hair out.

7.1: Polk RTi12 Fronts, RTi8 Surrounds, Monitor70 Surround Backs, CSi A6 Center + Outlaw LFM-1 EX Subwoofer.
Yamaha RX-A2000 AVR
Epson 5010 3D Projector
Intel Sandy Bridge 3D HTPC / Blu-ray Player
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7532 of 10916 Old 03-05-2012, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRameloo View Post

The russian file file works flawlessly though. I did it last week, and took me no more than 15 seconds. You can achieve the same in Windows, but that's a hassle. Your pick...

IT wasn't hard with the free tool I posted earlier. Can someone post a link to the russian files.
post #7533 of 10916 Old 03-05-2012, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey79 View Post

I don't know how some of you guys were able to stream blu-ray over the netgear MCAB1001 MoCA Kit ... I absolutely can't! I'm at a total loss here. After trying absolutely everything suggested over at the Actiontec MoCA thread ... I'm basically the EXACT SAME networking/bandwidth performance with the MoCA kit that I got from my D-Link 500mbps Powerline Adapters.

It baffles me -- I don't understand how you guys were able to stream Blu-ray over MoCA. I can stream everything up to like 20mbps without any issues ... MKV's, M2TS, etc. But I just can't get stutter-free playback on Blu-ray ISO. It starts off fine but within a few seconds it starts to stutter.

I can't imagine what's the bottleneck in my setup. I'm pretty much ready to pull all my hair out.

How many splitters are between your moca setup, If you have to many splits or terrible splitters your signal will drop rapidly. also you can try running a POE filter
post #7534 of 10916 Old 03-05-2012, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey79 View Post

Go get a piece of coax with F conectors attached; 10 foot, 20 foot, what ever. Set up your MoCA with your PC at one end and the Dune at the other. If it works then the problem is in your walls, splitters, etc.
post #7535 of 10916 Old 03-05-2012, 05:17 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by b curry View Post

go get a piece of coax with f conectors attached; 10 foot, 20 foot, what ever. Set up your moca with your pc at one end and the dune at the other. If it works then the problem is in your walls, splitters, etc.

+1!!!
post #7536 of 10916 Old 03-05-2012, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

got MyMovies and YADIS working on the USB stick. Everything plays great.

really liking this player so far.....
post #7537 of 10916 Old 03-05-2012, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean_w_smith View Post

got MyMovies and YADIS working on the USB stick. Everything plays great.

really liking this player so far.....

Sean,

Does My Movies and / or Yadis create a poster / folder file withing the movie folder?

I'm just asking because I am using Zappiti, which I like and works great for the Dune, but my other player doesn't support it. So, I pretty much have to run another jukebox to create the folder / poster file in order to use these as AIOS jukebox.

I believe My Movies does this, but I can't remember. I haven't used it in several months.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

post #7538 of 10916 Old 03-05-2012, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

Sean,

Does My Movies and / or Yadis create a poster / folder file withing the movie folder?

I'm just asking because I am using Zappiti, which I like and works great for the Dune, but my other player doesn't support it. So, I pretty much have to run another jukebox to create the folder / poster file in order to use these as AIOS jukebox.

I believe My Movies does this, but I can't remember. I haven't used it in several months.

Yes it does
post #7539 of 10916 Old 03-05-2012, 07:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

got mymovies and yadis working on the usb stick. Everything plays great.

Really liking this player so far.....

++1
post #7540 of 10916 Old 03-05-2012, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Does anyone have any metadata / art from My Moves that you can post so I can see if it is as good as Zappiti?

I've got to make a decision of either running Zappiti and My Movies so both of my media player will have a jukebox. Or just run My Movies for Dune and AIOS.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #7541 of 10916 Old 03-05-2012, 08:07 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabloZoe View Post

++1

dune +++++++++++++1
900b -----------------1

I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken
post #7542 of 10916 Old 03-05-2012, 08:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by denass View Post

dune +++++++++++++1
900b -----------------1:d

/\\ /\\ /\\
post #7543 of 10916 Old 03-05-2012, 10:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sean,

Yes but there are lots of filenaming standards and limitations out there. chances of it working are slim.

What exactly does the AIOS expect?
Filenames?
posters?
fanart?
Size or resolution limitations?
do they have to be a specific image size?
do they have to be a specific image file format?

All these things matter if you want an accurate answer to your question.

if you want metadata to compare. download it and try it for yourself is the best and easiest approach. best is relative. it appears to me My Movies has more meta data than zappiti and many more features but does that make it better?
post #7544 of 10916 Old 03-05-2012, 10:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Does anyone have any metadata / art from My Moves that you can post so I can see if it is as good as Zappiti?

I've got to make a decision of either running Zappiti and My Movies so both of my media player will have a jukebox. Or just run My Movies for Dune and AIOS.

again, your assuming My Movies will output what you AIOS needs but its just not that simple.... It certainly may but it also may not.

very pleased with the speed of the GUI versus the PCH C-200. Dunno if its because its on USB Stick versus the NAS but its faster than oversight, yamj, and eversion on my PCH's. still not HTPC but not bad.....

3 movies so far. not one audio or video glitch. not one hang.....

Partitioning the USB stick was a PITA and unnecessarily complicated. That issue is dune specific and does not exist on the PCH.

I really love the status of the audio codec when the movie starts and the detailed info screen

so far I haven't had any issues with DVD menu rendering either.
post #7545 of 10916 Old 03-06-2012, 01:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I'm not sure, but it seems that from 4.01, MyMovies is not adding anymore metadata to your folders, might be because of the new way of handling the mymovies.xml which is now encrypted (old story vs metabrowser users...). Before in each folder I had a mymovies.xml and a background.jpg, but not anymore...

I'm using yadis and MyMovies together and don't have any problem (yadis keeps everything inside and doesn't add any file to the folders unless you use the basic mode). I guess that you could try zappiti to be sure there won't be any problem.
post #7546 of 10916 Old 03-06-2012, 07:21 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
After a few days of hairpulling here: For anyone else running the D1 barebones, (and using firmware 120202_1544_beta). . . . if the unit crashes/reboots whenever accessing a .ts file in the favorites folder, the fix is to get rid of the extra window on the right side of the GUI screen.
post #7547 of 10916 Old 03-06-2012, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

again, your assuming My Movies will output what you AIOS needs but its just not that simple.... It certainly may but it also may not.

very pleased with the speed of the GUI versus the PCH C-200. Dunno if its because its on USB Stick versus the NAS but its faster than oversight, yamj, and eversion on my PCH's. still not HTPC but not bad.....

3 movies so far. not one audio or video glitch. not one hang.....

Partitioning the USB stick was a PITA and unnecessarily complicated. That issue is dune specific and does not exist on the PCH.

I really love the status of the audio codec when the movie starts and the detailed info screen

so far I haven't had any issues with DVD menu rendering either.

I forgot to mention that I've used My Movies before when I was using WMC for the poster files etc. When I hooked up the AIOS it recognized this, but then I stopped using My Movies, because I started using the Mede8er + YAMJ to Mede8er. Then I started using ThumbGen for the Mede8er, which the AIOS also recognized.

Now, I am using Zappiti because I sold the Mede8er, and got the Dune D1, and I forgot if My Movies leaves the poster , folder, fan art in each movie folder or not. That's the only way the AIOS will be able to play it's jukebox.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #7548 of 10916 Old 03-06-2012, 07:40 AM

I am going to show my ignorance as I am band new to the media player world.

I recently backed up all of my movies to ISO files and I have them stored on a Windows 2011 home server that I just built. I purchased a media player Micca EP950 mostly because it seemed like the latest/greatest player but I am tired of being on the bleeding edge. The Micca and these other realtek based 1186 players are immature and I would really like to have a working movie jukebox.

I keep hearing over and over get a dune. Could someone give me a quick answer on the best Dune player for me to get? I am confused with the Dune naming conventions HD MAX vs HD Smart D1? Which one is the latest; greatest that will meet my needs?

I want to play ISO and BlueRay ISO files over the network (BlueRay 3D ISO is not a requirement)
post #7549 of 10916 Old 03-06-2012, 08:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Eric View Post

I'm not sure, but it seems that from 4.01, MyMovies is not adding anymore metadata to your folders, might be because of the new way of handling the mymovies.xml which is now encrypted (old story vs metabrowser users...). Before in each folder I had a mymovies.xml and a background.jpg, but not anymore...

I'm using yadis and MyMovies together and don't have any problem (yadis keeps everything inside and doesn't add any file to the folders unless you use the basic mode). I guess that you could try zappiti to be sure there won't be any problem.

I am running the latest MM and the mymovies.xml file is still generated in the movie folder, it is just encrypted

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

post #7550 of 10916 Old 03-06-2012, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mace777 View Post

I recently backed up all of my movies to ISO files and I have them stored on a Windows 2011 home server that I just built. I purchased a media player “Micca EP950” mostly because it seemed like the latest/greatest player but I am tired of being on the bleeding edge. The Micca and these other realtek based 1186 players are immature and I would really like to have a working movie jukebox.

I keep hearing over and over “get a dune”. Could someone give me a quick answer on the best Dune player for me to get? I am confused with the Dune naming conventions HD MAX vs HD Smart D1? Which one is the latest; greatest that will meet my needs?

I want to play ISO and BlueRay ISO files over the network (BlueRay 3D ISO is not a requirement)

Go to duneplayer.com and read the specs. Some come with BD disk player others don't. If you don't need a BD player, then I would suggest either the H1 (doesn't have a front display) or the D1 (it has a frond display for $10.00 more).

HD TV does not have ISO support so those are out of the question. So you have the choices of Duo, Max or Smart series. Smart Series will be the least expensive.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #7551 of 10916 Old 03-06-2012, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by mace777 View Post

I recently backed up all of my movies to ISO files and I have them stored on a Windows 2011 home server that I just built. I purchased a media player Micca EP950 mostly because it seemed like the latest/greatest player but I am tired of being on the bleeding edge. The Micca and these other realtek based 1186 players are immature and I would really like to have a working movie jukebox.

I keep hearing over and over get a dune. Could someone give me a quick answer on the best Dune player for me to get? I am confused with the Dune naming conventions HD MAX vs HD Smart D1? Which one is the latest; greatest that will meet my needs?

I would suggest any of the Smart series.
post #7552 of 10916 Old 03-06-2012, 09:16 AM
AVS Club Gold

Have 3 of the smart series, all work great.

Someday maybe I'll actually WATCH my projector...
post #7553 of 10916 Old 03-06-2012, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

I downloaded the newest My Movies, and it just crashes. I just got thumbGen to work again, but it is very slow process. I'll have to do a couple of movies at times until I am done.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #7554 of 10916 Old 03-06-2012, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfelite View Post

How many splitters are between your moca setup, If you have to many splits or terrible splitters your signal will drop rapidly. also you can try running a POE filter

None. I changed the way my setup was to remove splitters in the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by b curry View Post

Go get a piece of coax with F conectors attached; 10 foot, 20 foot, what ever. Set up your MoCA with your PC at one end and the Dune at the other. If it works then the problem is in your walls, splitters, etc.

+2

This is exactly what I'm going to do. I removed the MoCA adapters from my setup and I'm going start at the very base with nothing in between. A one to one connection via MoCA between the HTPC & Dune. I'll start adding things to my setup to determine the bottleneck.

One thing that I never looked into (or considered) that I'm researching right now is the NIC Card in my HTPC. I went through a thread here at AVS where people with "onboard" Realtek NIC Cards were not able to stream Blu-ray; but replacing it with an Intel PCIe NIC Card they were able to. I am indeed using an onboard Realtek NIC Card. Even though it's 1GBPS, and I do have network throttling disabled; and also set the speed to 1.0 Gbps Full Duplex manually ... this could still be my issue. The replacement Intel NIC is around $29 on Newegg which really wouldn't be a loss. I could use 2 NIC's in my HTPC.

7.1: Polk RTi12 Fronts, RTi8 Surrounds, Monitor70 Surround Backs, CSi A6 Center + Outlaw LFM-1 EX Subwoofer.
Yamaha RX-A2000 AVR
Epson 5010 3D Projector
Intel Sandy Bridge 3D HTPC / Blu-ray Player
post #7555 of 10916 Old 03-06-2012, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

I have a Dune Smart B1. Attached to it is vanilla Seagate drive and also a SD card.
When I transfer files over the network I almost always get time outs.

I can remove the devices and plus them directly into the main upstairs PC.

Anybody else have similar issues and can suggest solutions?
post #7556 of 10916 Old 03-06-2012, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalsnuffy View Post

I have a Dune Smart B1. Attached to it is vanilla Seagate drive and also a SD card.
When I transfer files over the network I almost always get time outs.

I can remove the devices and plus them directly into the main upstairs PC.

Anybody else have similar issues and can suggest solutions?

If you try to transfer files from one device e.i. PC to the Dune you will get speeds from 0 mbps to may be if you are luck 6 mbps. It is better to have a localized storage for example a NAS or server, and stream the movies to the media player that way.

I built my own unraid server for a little over $300 dollars, and I can stream and transfer file from it without any issues.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #7557 of 10916 Old 03-06-2012, 07:03 PM
AVS Special Member

So I read through the official Dune documentation and its better than the PCH (which has NONE) but its extremely terse and does NOT explain the setup options in any detail what so ever. Is there a more complete doc somewhere?

What do you folks recommend for tech support. I have at least a dozen questions on setup options. I bought the player from duneplayer.com

Stuff like WTF is bitstream enhancements? DVD Engine Type, and many many more....

Sean
post #7558 of 10916 Old 03-06-2012, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So I read through the official Dune documentation and its better than the PCH (which has NONE) but its extremely terse and does NOT explain the setup options in any detail what so ever. Is there a more complete doc somewhere?

What do you folks recommend for tech support. I have at least a dozen questions on setup options. I bought the player from duneplayer.com

Stuff like WTF is bitstream enhancements? DVD Engine Type, and many many more....

Sean

I don't know what you need so I/we can help you. When I installed my Dune D1, it was plug and play. I connected, I found my share folder, and then I used Zappiti to create the jukebox.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #7559 of 10916 Old 03-06-2012, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't know what you need so I/we can help you. When I installed my Dune D1, it was plug and play. I connected, I found my share folder, and then I used Zappiti to create the jukebox.

I need to know what "Bit Stream Enhancements" does?
I need to know what the DVD Engine Type setting does?
and at least a dozen more

Thats great that your happy with the factory options and not knowing what their software is doing but I'm not. I wish it were as simple as plug and play but its not. Pretty much guaranteed that if you didn't setup any options in the settings menu that you are not setup optimally?

Do you have a bitstream capable AVR? That setting doesn't get turned on by default.

24p playback is not turned on by default.

Those are just two examples of where the factory settings might not be optimal for many folks. Thats why understanding the settings and what they do is very important.
post #7560 of 10916 Old 03-06-2012, 07:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I need to know what "Bit Stream Enhancements" does?
I need to know what the DVD Engine Type setting does?
and at least a dozen more

Thats great that your happy with the factory options and not knowing what their software is doing but I'm not. I wish it were as simple as plug and play but its not. Pretty much guaranteed that if you didn't setup any options in the settings menu that you are not setup optimally?

Do you have a bitstream capable AVR? That setting doesn't get turned on by default.

24p playback is not turned on by default.

Those are just two examples of where the factory settings might not be optimal for many folks. Thats why understanding the settings and what they do is very important.

LOL Ok, my stuff is set up to where my AVR recognized the format of HD audio and video, and my 7.1 surrounds sound awesome and my TV looks super duper.

Here you go:

http://dune-hd.com/online_manual/

Home Theater Set Up:

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Dune Hd Smart B1 1080p Media Player
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page