post #8071 of 11011 Old 04-23-2012, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew.c View Post

If you want to use the same USB stick for System Storage and for where you are going to export your jukebox files from Zappiti, yaDIS, or My Movies, etc, you will need to partition it. They have to be stored in two different partitions or locations. I use an SD card instead of USB because on my Dune HD Max, the SD port is easily accessible on the front and the SD card is hidden once it is inserted. It's a personal preference. If you have more than one Dune, most people store the jukebox files where their movies are stored (NAS or server). Some people store their jukebox files on an internal hard drive or ssd. The link you mentioned explains what the System Storage is used for. My old Panasonic Blu-ray player required an SD card to be able to download BD-Live content etc. This is basically the same as the Dune's System Storage. It also is required to create shortcuts (Favorites) on your Dune. Mine is 2 GB in size and I never touch it. You cannot see the contents of the System Storage partition. I use one 8 GB SDHC card with 2 partitions. The first partition is for Zappiti and yaDIS and the second partition is for System Storage. In Windows 7, I use a free tool called MiniTool Partition Wizard to partition the SD card. I initially partitioned the SDHC card as 6 GB NTFS and 2 GB FAT32. Windows can only read/write the first partition on an SD card so I made sure the last partition (2 GB) was for System Storage. This way, you can insert the SD card into your PC and read/write to the first partition if need be. I also keep Dune firmwares and .dsf utility files on the NTFS partition in addition to Zappiti and yaDIS. When I inserted the SD card into the Dune, I went into Setup, Miscellaneous, System Storage, Initialize System Storage. If will find the FAT32 2 GB partition and ask you if you want to create the System Storage there. It converts the FAT32 to EXT3 and will be hidden. You will be able to see the 6 GB NTFS partition from Windows. By default it will have a long share name. You can shorten the share name by creating a txt file named "dune_folder.txt" and adding the line:

storage_name = SD

Copy this file to the root of the SD or USB stick (I assume this works with USB) and reboot the Dune. You can now access this 6 GB storage from Windows Explorer as \\\\DUNE\\SD

You can change the SD name to USB or whatever you choose in the dune_folder.txt. I use SD because I have an SD card.

The only problems I have had with the SD card is I tried using a Class 10 card and it would not work. I could only get a Class 6 card to work properly. I also tried a larger 32 GB Class 6 SD card and had issues with it also. The higher the class, the faster the card. I do not have any speed issues with the 8 GB Class 6 SD card. Zappiti appears immeadiately.

Thanks a lot for detailed explanation on creating system storage and other partition. I never thought about using SD card as system storage. Since, I never use this slot, it is good to consider for it.

It is also clever technique to partition in windows and reinitialize from Dune. Thanks for letting know that class 6, 8gb is worked fine. Not sure if you tried 16gb one.

I am helping friend to setup his NAS and will pass this info to him. Unfortunately, I have movies in mulitple hard disks that I connect through hub. It seems only option is to index on each hard drive itself. So, 6gb may be unused for me until I get NAS.

You said you can access sd card from windows using //Dune/sd. Is Dune inserted SD card visible from windows. How do you map?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8072 of 11011 Old 04-23-2012, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaggedEdge View Post

Save a few $$ and get an H1. Like many have said, the display on the D1 is about useless anyway. With the H1, you get a hot swap drive bay and it is a snap to install a drive in it.

As posted here before:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=4956

and verified by other posters, the internal slot is a road map to premature failure. After one hour the HDD was so hot I had to use gloves to touch and pull the HDD.
Use an external dock or a server.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=5142

Certified HDTV junkie and AVS addict
U.S. Army FA WWII
post #8073 of 11011 Old 04-23-2012, 02:14 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by catmother View Post

As posted here before:

and verified by other posters, the internal slot is a road map to premature failure. After one hour the HDD was so hot I had to use gloves to touch and pull the HDD.

I use the internal slot in the h1 all the time, and my Hitachi drive gets warm, but never to the point on it being too hot to handle...
I have recently switched over to a MAX unit and I as I also replaced the fan with a better one have no concerns about using the internal bay in that one either. I think a lot has to do with the drive chosen...
post #8074 of 11011 Old 04-23-2012, 02:26 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

I've heard about 10muse, but I never really tried it. I was thinking of may be trying it out to see how it works, but then I don't own an Ipad. Try sending them an email to see if their support team can help you out support@10muse.net. Report back if their support team was any good.

May be dbone, if you've got some time...can you test it out . I'm thinking of buying a couple tablets for my kids (even though they don't deserve it). I was thinking of getting an android based tablet, but the Ipad has to many different applications that I can use with my set up.

Below is the reply from the developer. Sounds like a definite maybe.

"There is no option to navigate through DVD or Blu-Ray Menus without the use of a remote. While it is technically possible to build every remote control button into the user interface, we value simplicity more, in order to keep 10Muse "guest and child friendly", which is a very important aspect of the system. Adding navigation buttons as an "Advanced Remote" option is a feature that will may be added in the future."

For several reason I wish I had ripped my collection main movie only instead of full iso, but not enough to redo the whole thing.
post #8075 of 11011 Old 04-23-2012, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 601
I tried using 10muse, but some of the movie do not get recognized....still trying to figure out how to send the output to the dune

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

post #8076 of 11011 Old 04-23-2012, 04:26 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukumar View Post

Thanks a lot for detailed explanation on creating system storage and other partition. I never thought about using SD card as system storage. Since, I never use this slot, it is good to consider for it.

It is also clever technique to partition in windows and reinitialize from Dune. Thanks for letting know that class 6, 8gb is worked fine. Not sure if you tried 16gb one.

I am helping friend to setup his NAS and will pass this info to him. Unfortunately, I have movies in mulitple hard disks that I connect through hub. It seems only option is to index on each hard drive itself. So, 6gb may be unused for me until I get NAS.

You said you can access sd card from windows using //Dune/sd. Is Dune inserted SD card visible from windows. How do you map?

I tried a 16 GB Class 10 card and I could not get the Dune to initialize the system storage, even before partitioning it. I tried a .dsf file that was suppose to format it and it also did not work. I was able to initialize a 32 GB Class 6 card but it would lock up my Dune. If I run across a 16 GB Class 6 cheap I may try it. For now, the 6 GB NTFS partition is big enough. I have 321 Movies and 489 TV Show Episodes. Most are blu-ray iso's. Zappiti currently uses 865 MB out of the 6 GB NTFS partition on my SD card. yaDIS used 1.5 GB (see my posts on pg 268 about that).

Yes, all DUNE attached drives are viewable from Windows except for System Storage. With your drives (hard drive, ext hard drive, usb, SD) connected to the Dune and the Dune powered on, under Windows, open Computer or Windows Explorer. On the top line, type:

\\\\DUNE

You will see all of the attached drives including Hard drives, SD and/or USB. If you do not create the 'dune_folder.txt' on the root of each partition (except System Storage), you will have very long default share names. For example my internal hd default share name was "2TB_GPT_64K_7a389b73892723d". It is much easier to open notepad and add one line to the top:

storage_name = SD

Save the file as "dune_folder.txt" and copy it to the root of the SD card. I have the same file copied to my internal hard drive and it has

storage_name = HD

To connect to it from Windows, in Computer at the top line, type \\\\DUNE\\HD or map a network drive to this location and you now have read/write/delete access to this parition. If you have multiple external USB hard drives name each one HD1, HD2, etc. Zappiti and yaDIS will use this shorter share name also.
post #8077 of 11011 Old 04-23-2012, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I tried a 16 GB Class 10 card and I could not get the Dune to initialize the system storage, even before partitioning it. I tried a .dsf file that was suppose to format it and it also did not work. I was able to initialize a 32 GB Class 6 card but it would lock up my Dune. If I run across a 16 GB Class 6 cheap I may try it. For now, the 6 GB NTFS partition is big enough. I have 321 Movies and 489 TV Show Episodes. Most are blu-ray iso's. Zappiti currently uses 865 MB out of the 6 GB NTFS partition on my SD card. yaDIS used 1.5 GB (see my posts on pg 268 about that).

Yes, all DUNE attached drives are viewable from Windows except for System Storage. With your drives (hard drive, ext hard drive, usb, SD) connected to the Dune and the Dune powered on, under Windows, open Computer or Windows Explorer. On the top line, type:

\\\\DUNE

You will see all of the attached drives including Hard drives, SD and/or USB. If you do not create the 'dune_folder.txt' on the root of each partition (except System Storage), you will have very long default share names. For example my internal hd default share name was "2TB_GPT_64K_7a389b73892723d". It is much easier to open notepad and add one line to the top:

storage_name = SD

Save the file as "dune_folder.txt" and copy it to the root of the SD card. I have the same file copied to my internal hard drive and it has

storage_name = HD

To connect to it from Windows, in Computer at the top line, type \\\\DUNE\\HD or map a network drive to this location and you now have read/write/delete access to this parition. If you have multiple external USB hard drives name each one HD1, HD2, etc. Zappiti and yaDIS will use this shorter share name also.

I installed a 4gb usb flash drive in my D1, and I don't even use it. I've got the Zappiti's output folder in my unraid server. I'm thinking of taking the flash drive out and use it for something else.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #8078 of 11011 Old 04-23-2012, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey79 View Post

Question Guys:

So I finally got around to replacing the onboard Realtek NIC in my HTPC with a popular Intel NIC. It definitely made a considerable different in the network performance between my HTPC and other devices; and also within the HTPC itself.

However, I still haven't been able to resolve my issue with streaming full Blu-ray ISO. There is some improvement however. Right now what's happening is - when I hit play on a full Blu-ray ... It actually starts off without any stutter/jerk ... however, the stutters starts in about 10 ~ 15 seconds of smooth playback, and then stays. This happens with any & every Blu-ray I start to play.

Here's what I really wanted to ask ... is there anybody here using any Intel NIC card & streaming blu-ray? If yes, an you share your NIC Card settings/configurations with me? Under the Adapter Properties for this NIC Card ... there are so many options -- and I have no idea what half of them do. I just know I do have it set at 1.0Gbps Full Duplex. That's about it; if someone who's successfully streaming full Blu-ray using an Intel NIC can share their adapter properties -- that might really help me.

Thanks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

I am using an Intel NIC card with my WHS and have zero issues streaming. However, even before when I was using the stock Realtek NIC on the mobo I had no issues. I have not touched one setting on my NIC card, simply installed the card, the drivers, and that was it

Same here. I did the exact same thing as Damian, the only difference is my server is unRAID. Almost all of my movies are blu-ray iso's. I would check your Dune network settings under Setup, Miscellaneous, System. The settings that work best for me are to Enable everything EXCEPT for Experimental 1 Gbit Ethernet support. Set that to Disabled. You can check your streaming speed on the Dune by going under Sources, select your media server. Highlight one of your blu-ray iso's and click "INFO" on the Dune remote. Select "Read Test". I get 11 MB/s through out the entire file (which will take approx. an hour on a blu-ray iso). You do not have to wait the entire hour. It should be the same after the first couple of seconds.
post #8079 of 11011 Old 04-23-2012, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

I bought this NIC for my unraid serve, which came without any drivers. I installed it, and it worked right away without any issues. Mine is at 1 gig/full duplex.

Intel PWLA8391GTBLK PRO/1000 GT Desktop Network Adapter

Home Theater Set Up:

post #8080 of 11011 Old 04-23-2012, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I am one of the few people that uses the built in hardware capability to convert hi res audio from DTS HD MA into multi-channel PCM. My upstairs receiver does not have these advanced codecs, so this mattered to me.

It turns out that the last update to the official firmware for the unit turned off the multi-channel PCM decoding capability. My original unit experienced some Blu Ray drive problems, and had to be replaced. The replacement was a newer version that could not run older firmware, so I was locked out of using this capability on the replacement unit.

One source tells me that this had to do with the unit not having mutli-channel analog audio outputs, therefore it is not permitted to perform this conversion over hdmi. I don't make up these licensing rules, just passing the information along.

Another person says this is bunk as there is no problem with the 53D lite.

Anyway, I found an unsupported file on another website that restores this decoding capability.

http://www.mpcclub.com/forum/showthr...t=28070&page=6

There is a link on this page that should work. I tried putting up a direct link, but it was broken (go figure!).
post #8081 of 11011 Old 04-23-2012, 05:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalsnuffy View Post

I am one of the few people that uses the built in hardware capability to convert hi res audio from DTS HD MA into multi-channel PCM. My upstairs receiver does not have these advanced codecs, so this mattered to me.

It turns out that the last update to the official firmware for the unit turned off the multi-channel PCM decoding capability. My original unit experienced some Blu Ray drive problems, and had to be replaced. The replacement was a newer version that could not run older firmware, so I was locked out of using this capability on the replacement unit.

One source tells me that this had to do with the unit not having mutli-channel analog audio outputs, therefore it is not permitted to perform this conversion over hdmi. I don't make up these licensing rules, just passing the information along.

Another person says this is bunk as there is no problem with the 53D lite.

Anyway, I found an unsupported file on another website that restores this decoding capability.

http://dune.do.am/dune_service_enabl...l_decoding.dsf

or

https://rapidshare.com/files/3192091...l_decoding.dsf

Links no worky!!

Home Theater Set Up:

post #8082 of 11011 Old 04-23-2012, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

You will have to find the link on this page. I do not know why the direct link did not work.
post #8083 of 11011 Old 04-23-2012, 05:55 PM

Quote:

I installed a 4gb usb flash drive in my D1, and I don't even use it. I've got the Zappiti's output folder in my unraid server. I'm thinking of taking the flash drive out and use it for something else.

If I had more than one Dune, I would definately keep them on my unRAID server so that Zappiti would only have to export them to one location. The nice thing about exporting Zappiti to my unRAID server was the export was much faster. The down side is I have heard others complain that if the servers hard drive spins down where the jukebox files are exported, there is a delay opening your jukebox software on the Dune. Last week I tried exporting Zappiti and yaDIS to my unRAID server. I purposely spun down all my unRAID drives, rebooted my Dune, and it took about 1-2 seconds opening Zappiti the first try. Thereafter it would open instantly. My SD card does not spin down and always opens instantly. I could live with 1-2 seconds. After testing it some more, I may decide to keep them on the unRAID server. I currently have 15 TB not including the 3 TB parity drive. I am stuck on unRAID beta 5.0 Release 12a because of the LSI controller issue.

Drew
post #8084 of 11011 Old 04-23-2012, 06:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If I had more than one Dune, I would definately keep them on my unRAID server so that Zappiti would only have to export them to one location. The nice thing about exporting Zappiti to my unRAID server was the export was much faster. The down side is I have heard others complain that if the servers hard drive spins down where the jukebox files are exported, there is a delay opening your jukebox software on the Dune. Last week I tried exporting Zappiti and yaDIS to my unRAID server. I purposely spun down all my unRAID drives, rebooted my Dune, and it took about 1-2 seconds opening Zappiti the first try. Thereafter it would open instantly. My SD card does not spin down and always opens instantly. I could live with 1-2 seconds. After testing it some more, I may decide to keep them on the unRAID server. I currently have 15 TB not including the 3 TB parity drive. I am stuck on unRAID beta 5.0 Release 12a because of the LSI controller issue.

Drew

I just got two Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8 and just upgraded to version 5b14.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #8085 of 11011 Old 04-23-2012, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalsnuffy View Post

You will have to find the link on this page. I do not know why the direct link did not work.

That's awesome! Thanks for the info. I knew someone would fix that issue. I downloaded it from the rapidshare link just in case I buy another Dune for upstairs. Supposedly, my Dune HD Max does not have that issue. Also my Yamaha can decode 7.1. FYI, the dune.do.am... link on the mpcclub forum was detected by Malwarebytes as a suspicious link and blocked it.

Drew
post #8086 of 11011 Old 04-23-2012, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Got it!

Home Theater Set Up:

post #8087 of 11011 Old 04-23-2012, 07:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by catmother View Post

As posted here before:

I use a 60G SSD in an Icy Dock enclosure and I can pull out the drive after watching a movie and absolutely don't need gloves to handle.

Alex
post #8088 of 11011 Old 04-23-2012, 07:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

Drew

My LSI controller works fine with Windows 8 storage spaces... very fast!
post #8089 of 11011 Old 04-23-2012, 09:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:

I tried using 10muse, but some of the movie do not get recognized....still trying to figure out how to send the output to the dune

There is no output to the Dune with 10Muse... everything is controlled via the iPad app.
post #8090 of 11011 Old 04-24-2012, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlknez View Post

My LSI controller works fine with Windows 8 storage spaces... very fast!

Nice. I may have to look into M$ Win 8.
post #8091 of 11011 Old 04-24-2012, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killroy View Post

There is no output to the Dune with 10Muse... everything is controlled via the iPad app.

Thanks for telling me that. I don't have an Ipad yet so I've stopped using 10muse.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #8092 of 11011 Old 04-24-2012, 12:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:

Thanks for telling me that. I don't have an Ipad yet so I've stopped using 10muse.

Although you can start a movie on your Dune from the 10Muse PC software (obviously not ideal for most situations)

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

post #8093 of 11011 Old 04-24-2012, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Yeah, you could use a lappy to do it via the PC app. Not optimal but it works.
post #8094 of 11011 Old 04-24-2012, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 423
I'm not clear on something: Can the Dune player access internal PC hard drives for playback? What are the advantages and disadvantages of keeping files on PC hard drives vs. a NAS box?
post #8095 of 11011 Old 04-24-2012, 02:02 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertR View Post

I'm not clear on something: Can the Dune player access internal PC hard drives for playback? What are the advantages and disadvantages of keeping files on PC hard drives vs. a NAS box?

Yes assuming the PC or NAS supports one of the protocols that Dune supports - SMB or NFS.

I have all of my content on one largish NAS unit (6 bays of 2TB drives). I have 4 Dune players - any of which can play the content from the NAS.

Regards, Frederick C. Wilt
post #8096 of 11011 Old 04-24-2012, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:

By "access internal PC hard drive" do you mean: buy a hard disk designed to go into a PC (SATA interface) and plug it into the Dune. The answer is yes, if you have one of the Dune models with an internal SATA bay. (e.g., H1, D1, Base 3.0, but not B1.)

Or perhaps you meant: I have a PC with internal drives and I want the Dune to access them. The answer is also yes, if you set up the PC to do file sharing via SMB or NFS. Any decent OS will support this but sometimes (Win7) it can be tricky to set up.

As for PC vs NAS, a NAS is typically designed to have lower power consumption, so you can leave it on all the time. Also there's less chance of playback issues since the NAS will be doing only one thing.
post #8097 of 11011 Old 04-24-2012, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcwilt View Post

Yes assuming the PC or NAS supports one of the protocols that Dune supports - SMB or NFS.

I have all of my content on one largish NAS unit (6 bays of 2TB drives). I have 4 Dune players - any of which can play the content from the NAS.

Thanks Fred. I did a little research, and Windows 7 Ultimate does support NFS.

Quote:

Or perhaps you meant: I have a PC with internal drives and I want the Dune to access them.

Yes, that's what I meant. I'm just trying to figure if I can save the cost of a NAS. I can add 3 SATA drives (maybe more) to my PC, so that would make 4 with the drive in the Dune.
post #8098 of 11011 Old 04-24-2012, 02:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Quote:

All Win-7 versions support SMB, so there's no need to worry about NFS. You just have to figure out how to flog Windows into sharing files on the network.
post #8099 of 11011 Old 04-24-2012, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

All Win-7 versions support SMB, so there's no need to worry about NFS. You just have to figure out how to flog Windows into sharing files on the network.

Great, thanks. I like how you phrase that--"flogging Windows" LOL
post #8100 of 11011 Old 04-24-2012, 03:16 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:

Yes, that's what I meant. I'm just trying to figure if I can save the cost of a NAS. I can add 3 SATA drives (maybe more) to my PC, so that would make 4 with the drive in the Dune.

As mentioned a dedicated NAS unit only serving up content is less likely to have issues then a PC if you are going to try to use the PC to do other things at the same time.

A Windows PC, just sitting there, is likely going to be doing more then the NAS.

Now a PC running a server version of Windows is a bit of a different beast.

I have never attempted to stream content on a regular basis from a desktop version of Windows - it may work fine.

If it doesn't you could always move the discs to a NAS unit but that would likely mean losing of your existing content.

Regards, Frederick C. Wilt
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Dune Hd Smart B1 1080p Media Player
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page